• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 57
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 13281 times and has 56 replies Next Thread
Jewel27

Re: Terra Palace Cannot be downgraded and restored....

Ty belgica I am now looking into this..
----------------------------------------
*+*+*Princess of Star Explorers*+*+*

"Nothing is forever, cept memories...."

[May 9, 2006 6:10:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joris

When Scupperer dusted Cnossos, it became uncolonized. So they'd have to reblockade the island and win again first. That's hardly cheap.

Once again RD never did anything on purpose to screw people that wasn't trying to win a war. I don't see repeatedly PVPing in the same league as wrong if you are trying to punish an action. If you are just there to provoke misery for fun it is. Calais isn't really even try to win a war, he's just having fun doing what you can on the game. Those things need game design fixes, and public outcry to stop him. I'm not sure OM's need involved, especially since that the majority of the involved doubloons players support his actions.

The cost of an upgraded palace and a war chest of 125K is about the same as decorating the throne room of an upgraded palace, that still leaves you with lots of other rooms that include furniture considered priceless as it cannot be ordered (take the artifact room as an example).

You could also arrange a transfer of the island to yourself by the OMs if you informed them you were making the palace look beautifull again. I am sure they would not mind re-instating the island as SE's if they followed through with this.

I would probably help arrange it if the taxes were indeed 0% because of this.
Belgica
Teh Poke faktor candidate 07/07
[May 9, 2006 6:26:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Re: dusting the palace

In order to make sure you never have enough cash on hand to pay the taxes, you either need to constantly empty the coffers or you need to set up a PoE leak. Sell commodites cheap, buy them overpriced. Sure, you won't get as much money from the palace as you could, but you won't actually be losing any money either.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[May 9, 2006 6:30:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

The OMs won't do anything. The reason the prop dusting button is there is so, z0mg no way, you can use it.

Sure you can use it, but one question: were governors able to dust props before housing and furniture were added to the game? If not, it just seems to me that dusting all those props, simply to send a clear message to whoever would get the island next, is an abuse of a function that was added to the game with the avent of a new feature that didn't have that sort of abuse in mind.
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[May 9, 2006 7:32:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cacophoenix

However good the argument is, defending malicious destruction of game parts doesn't come across well. This really isn't any different then defending a common vandal.

What was done is not against the rules, nor should it be bannable, but it was pretty scummy no matter how you look at it.

I kinda agree with you there. What I find most amusing is the fact that Calais actually to took off some time from poker or puzzling to do something like this (which seems rather surprising considering the way how Calais usually does things).

From what I know Calais, he is uber efficient with his time always trying to squeeze the maximum out of it.

Other than that, sure if I find some furniture I can spare, I would be happy to donate it.
Noquarter in Viridian and Hunter.
Timmons in Sage and Midnight.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by cacophoenix at May 9, 2006 11:21:07 PM]
[May 9, 2006 7:56:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

Re: dusting the palace

In order to make sure you never have enough cash on hand to pay the taxes, you either need to constantly empty the coffers or you need to set up a PoE leak. Sell commodites cheap, buy them overpriced. Sure, you won't get as much money from the palace as you could, but you won't actually be losing any money either.

No, not exactly. When the palace goes dark, the palace no longer buys things from the dock, only sales are allowed. The other problem is that even with taxes at 0%, there is still a trickle of money from sales taxes, as well as money if a person were to open a stall (maybe - I can't remember if the taxes on Cnossos were actually at 0% the day that Prometheus opened a ship stall while the palace was dark. The sales tax part is true, though). Once the 5500 poe mark is reached, the lights will turn back on as soon as the hourly check is made. This means that, worst case, the coffers need to be checked every hour. Best case, you can get away with 8-12 hours without checking.

Some of the mechanics of income may have changed since I dusted Cnossos, but I'm pretty sure this is still the case.

What the OM's might be willing to do is an immediate dusting of the palace, provided a fort is placed right away, and just bypass the 30 day waiting period altogether. This would require, at a minimum, that SX be able and willing to provide all the materials and labor for a fort, and then the upgrades to whatever level they'd prefer. Depending on what they pay for labor; a fort and two upgrades is considerably more costly than a war chest; probably on the order of 2-3 times more costly.

In my opinion, the only real problem with a stripped Palace is the floating plants, which can not be repaired. On Prolix I accidently deleted the planter around the first one on the right when you come in, and have been mildly irritated since then that it's unfixable. Maybe an excuse to dust another palace? I wont' do that, though, because I have a framed painting prop bugged on the floor that wouldn't come back. I'm not sure why the plants themselves aren't treated like props in the furni arrange, but I'll lay odds one of the Ringers is looking into fixing it.

I'd much prefer to see SX work with what they have, and personalize it. It'll take a little time and money, but in the end it will probably be much nicer than a plain old pre-stocked palace.
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[May 9, 2006 8:00:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Calais Dusted in excess of 200 props from the palace on the weekend after losing the island to Star Explorers.

Is anyone else reading this line and going "I don't think so, unless it's bugged the deeds switch to the new Gov immediately"?
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[May 9, 2006 8:59:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

I kinda agree with you there. What I find most amusing is the fact that Calais actually to took off some time from poker or puzzling to do something like this (which seems rather surprising considering the way how Calais usually does things).

From what I know Calais, he is uber efficicent with his time always trying to squeeze the maximum out of it.

Which goes to show that, while you can take measures against the stupid and ignorant, it's hard to defend against a smart, skilled, and possibly borderline-sociopath player who is truly dedicated to being as much of a barrelstopper as possible.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[May 9, 2006 11:02:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

Calais Dusted in excess of 200 props from the palace on the weekend after losing the island to Star Explorers.

Is anyone else reading this line and going "I don't think so, unless it's bugged the deeds switch to the new Gov immediately"?

It was just badly worded. Calais actually destroyed the props during the blockade after he decided not to try to defend it.
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[May 10, 2006 3:44:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

There is no dynamo or engine in a firefly, rather it is a result of chemical reactions and enzymes.

Actually, Fireflys have engines... if they didn't, Kaylee would be out of a job.

*ducks, giggles, and runs away from the politicking*
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[May 10, 2006 5:42:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Nemor

It was just badly worded. Calais actually destroyed the props during the blockade after he decided not to try to defend it.
The decision not to defend Terra came before the war chest was even dropped. As many have noted, it is impossible to place another building on Terra without destroying commods and with this, Calais decided that when blockaded, no defense would happen unless The Syndicate felt like puting up a defense.

My personal opinion: Calais did something he had every right to do. This doesnt make it fair or just, but it also doesnt make it something worthy of banishment.

PS Is this cartoon Dr. Evil related to the Austin Powers enemy, cause if so: Calais has a bald head, Dr. Evil has a bald head. Calais has an eye patch on his right eye; Dr. Evil has a scar below his right eye. And the kicker: Calais and Vanguard possess Napi Peak and its volcano; Dr. Evil had an underground volcano lair thingy! omgzors!

Edit: forgot to write the word, "possess"
Previous King of Vanguard.

Nemor
Me carping
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nemor at May 13, 2006 7:26:30 PM]
[May 13, 2006 7:23:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Skype: nemor1 [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

Nemor wrote: 
PS Is this cartoon Dr. Evil related to the Austin Powers enemy, cause if so: Calais has a bald head, Dr. Evil has a bald head. Calais has an eye patch on his right eye; Dr. Evil has a scar below his right eye. And the kicker: Calais and Vanguard possess Napi Peak and its volcano; Dr. Evil had an underground volcano lair thingy! omgzors!

Awesome
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[May 13, 2006 7:29:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Oh, I had forgotten that the bad guy in that movie was Dr. Evil. All I remember was that Mini-Me midget version of him, and the dude in Goldmember. Weird, but funny.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[May 13, 2006 7:52:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninja277

Let me throw this out there. When P4P won Kirin did we bitch that Antix removed most of the props from the palace? Also, look around at a few of the outposts on Viridian. Props removed from the forts and shoppes. So, when someone with a different flare of decorating wins those it should be auto fixed? I am with that, but that would be a game design issue.

People have scuppered it all up in the past. Remember when people said Kirin was just a waste hole of many shoppes. Oh, but that is ok? What the hell? Basically, it is ok except when specific people *destroy* things. Never forget what has happened in the past.
Tristan

All Oceans
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ninja277 at May 13, 2006 10:39:04 PM]
[May 13, 2006 10:36:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Antix wasn't walking the short string when he did it.
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[May 14, 2006 1:38:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
joris

Antix wasn't walking the short string when he did it.

Not publically maybe...but hell if you're gona tell me he wasn't walking the short string in private flag convos.
Belgica
[May 14, 2006 7:48:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

Never forget what has happened in the past.

You mean, like, how the OM's actually fixed the furni at Kirin Palace, didn't they?

Oh, and I meant 1.2 trillion poe! :P
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[May 14, 2006 8:02:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
joris

Never forget what has happened in the past.

You mean, like, how the OM's actually fixed the furni at Kirin Palace, didn't they?

Oh, and I meant 1.2 trillion poe! :P

The Om's didn't fix the furni at Kirin Palace. We upgraded it using P4P poe.
Belgica
[May 14, 2006 12:11:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

The Om's didn't fix the furni at Kirin Palace. We upgraded it using P4P poe.

I was misinformed, then, sorry.
[May 14, 2006 3:18:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
TheBeaver

Your new palace furni looks absolutely fab. I'll just let you know that before I give you my opinion.

The interior of the palace was quite nice and it is a shame you had to spend all that PoE. But really, when you have dusted shoppes leaving a sensible number, you can have my sympathy over the palace.

Regardless, the palace still looks fabby (actually better then before, and, its unique!).
[May 14, 2006 3:45:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

Your new palace furni looks absolutely fab.

The best part is the wall that has a portrait of every past Terra governor, save for Calais.
Don't pave me, please!

[May 14, 2006 5:28:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
vincanity6

That's because Calais doesn't have any portraits of himself. (Not like he'd give them one if he did)
Formerly Vincanity on the viridian ocean.
[May 14, 2006 7:43:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

That's because Calais doesn't have any portraits of himself.

Figures, its a waste of PoE.
Don't pave me, please!

[May 14, 2006 7:48:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
Ackpol

That's because Calais doesn't have any portraits of himself. (Not like he'd give them one if he did)

Oh, but he does! And he has given it out. Both wrong ;).

http://viridian.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/gallery/portrait.wm?pirate=Rhia&itemid=5011527
Undeadfish, Viridian

[quote][quote]You know, if we would have PvPed...the Moonfish would have stomped the Sunfish. That's all I can say. :P[/quote]
It so would not. For I have the Awesome Power of the Fruitc
[May 15, 2006 12:28:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

Facts :

• I hold the only two portraits where Calais apparead on Viridian ocean
  • I payed completly the "couple" portraits but yeah, he paid the solo one and offered it to me
  • As you can read under the portrait, his price is priceless so i'm sorry but it won't appear in Terra Palace. But i agree it would go there very well and it should be there but i just can't resign holding it in my personal gallery

[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[May 15, 2006 2:36:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

You learn something new everyday.
Don't pave me, please!

[May 15, 2006 2:43:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
vincanity6

Err yeah, I found out about that after posting, and never bothered editing it. And if they really wanted one badly they could cover the fees of Cal getting a portrait and giving it to them.

(This post has gone way off-topic?)
Formerly Vincanity on the viridian ocean.
[May 15, 2006 3:42:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 57   Pages: 2   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates