• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 27
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2971 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
Fernie462

Napi, Terra, Requiem, Calais??

Ok, I hear (read?) the loving flame fest on other threads, and I'm just very curious of what happened that is causing the dead viridian parley forum to suddenly spark up with new life....

Please, only those directly involved post FACTS, otherwise this will be a continuation of flame wars and "non-personal personall attacks"

Points to clear up:

Where did it all start: who blockaded/warred who and why?

What is the deal with the naming scheme controversy? (on napi I suppose it is)

Where does the 100% taxes BEGIN, and by whom?

Where do memorials come into this?

Thank you kindly, I did read through most of the other threads, but it seems everything is heavily biased. They make some sense, but immediatelly follow with theories, or reasons, or arguements why it happened and I'm just plain confused. It almost sounds much like children playing "did not" "did too" "did not" "did too".

-Fernie, you local forum newbie that is very confused about the arguing
[May 8, 2006 9:40:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Re: Napi, Terra, Requiem, Calais??

Disclaimer: I've run bored of the tarting and assumptions. My focus right now is Terra. Anything written here is either true, or was the rumor at the time and was never truly proven wrong. I'm unbiased.

On Febuary 12th, the IDLD-owned Terra Island had a warchest dropped on it by The Syndicate. It then came to our attention that Antix, the govenor and king, his brother suffered a real life vehicle accident that resulted in him being hospitalized and Antix basically refused to defend the island.

I built a team to try and defend it for him, with not a single navver or XO actually coming from IDLD. However, the true contrivercy here was when rumors started floating that Calais single-handedly paid the Syndicate to drop this warchest, thus at first glance breaking many SotG rules.

Taxes were raised to 100% on Terra and over time, the taxes stuck at this amount with shoppes being built consistantly.

Terra was untouched, really. However, a week after that Terra blockade, i was contacted to help Requiem defend Prolix and a tandem sort of stuck from that point. Dendrite was sold to Star Explorers by Requiem, and a strong alliance followed.

A while later, i joined Star Explorers.

The island opening of Napi Peak then followed with it's mandatory sinking clause, and the contestants were Requiem, Euphoria and Vanguard. The new flag made by Calais seperate from the Syndicate.

Requiem won and Vanguard vowed to blockade us "every week until they won". While that was not completely true, as Napi 2 was simply Requiem vs Euphoria, and there was a idle week after that, Vanguard then blockaded both Prolix and Napi at the same time resulting in them winning Napi Peak.

By this time in which Vanguard retrieved Napi, it had come to our attention that one shoppe of each type was built on Terra clinging to a "Suicide King Memorial ____" format, totalling seven.

Instead of following the trend of Napi drops, we decided to go with a drop on Terra, and Star Explorers instead of Requiem. It was uncontested as Vanguard felt they were 'done' with the island. In the process, another memorial shoppe, with a different beginning name, was built on Napi Peak.
----------------------------------------
-Twiggy

Zezuma says, "what type of ship is this"
Jiiggsaw says, "i think a war fridge"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by IceColdFire at May 8, 2006 10:20:40 PM]
[May 8, 2006 10:15:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fernie462

Thanks twiggy, every little helps this little mind get un-confused.

After seeing Terra both on wiki and on the game, I can see where some of the gripes come from. Its very densly populated, hence the claims that they built over wood spawns?

New question added to the ones above:

Once a new flag/governor has taken over the island, I know the (presumed to be gone) spawns can't be brought back, but can the "memorial" shops be torn down/renamed?

Still wondering why the 100% taxes, other than just to make money?
[May 8, 2006 11:11:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Thanks twiggy, every little helps this little mind get un-confused.

After seeing Terra both on wiki and on the game, I can see where some of the gripes come from. Its very densly populated, hence the claims that they built over wood spawns?

New question added to the ones above:

Once a new flag/governor has taken over the island, I know the (presumed to be gone) spawns can't be brought back, but can the "memorial" shops be torn down/renamed?

You will find it very difficult to dust shoppes that the owner doesn't want dusted. 100% taxes only doubles the base rate. Shoppes that are making a good profit can survive easily with 100% taxes.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[May 8, 2006 11:30:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Yes you can tear them down/rename them - but first you have to own them. And if the owner doesn't want them torn down/renamed, there's not a blessed thing anyone else can do about it.

100% taxes? Because it's there. Honest, that's the reason I got when I asked Calais idly in conversation. Because it's there.
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[May 9, 2006 5:06:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Very nice, accurate, concise summary, Twiggy. No sarcasm, really.

EDIT: Unbiased. Forgot unbiased.
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Edit 1 times, last edit by juventus1 at May 9, 2006 9:35:22 AM]
[May 9, 2006 9:34:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TheBeaver

Napi, Terra, Requiem, Calais??

Spot the odd one out?

Very nice, accurate, concise summary, Twiggy. No sarcasm, really.

EDIT: Unbiased. Forgot unbiased.

That pretty much sums it up actually, that was a nice summary Twiggy. Saved you all from one of my extended posts.

Angel,

EDIT I don't know a mich
[Edit 1 times, last edit by TheBeaver at May 11, 2006 5:16:26 AM]
[May 11, 2006 5:13:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Magus_M

Just thought I'd give a few more precisions on Terra...

Taxes were immediatly set to 100%, but with promise of dropping them 7% every week (so basically, 1% per day). That said promise was fufilled until a so-called 'slip-up' in negociations about Napi gave Calais a 'cheap excuse' to raise them back to 100%.
MacGreggor, Mostly retired.
-
Scupperer wrote: 
Mac, you got it tough; no one appreciates the hard work and time you put into the game...

-
Jolyma wrote: 
Oh wait....I've been doing Mac's GF's already....

[May 11, 2006 7:35:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
foudetimbres

Oh and you forgot that the Terra island notice board said that 2 more shoppes would be added if the island was blockaded regardless of what happened to it's looks (if I remember rightly) implying that if there wasn't a blockade shoppes would not be added to the tune of 2 a week (the maximum allowed).
Dirtyfoot
Senior Officer of the British Eagles

Eurydice wrote: 
Hee! I like that Glaucus was forced to take the name "Glaucus" because that was the sound you made in your throat before spitting the winning gum.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by foudetimbres at May 11, 2006 8:17:02 AM]
[May 11, 2006 8:16:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

Oh and you forgot that the Terra island notice board said that 2 more shoppes would be added if the island was blockaded regardless of what happened to it's looks (if I remember rightly) implying that if there wasn't a blockade shoppes would not be added to the tune of 2 a week (the maximum allowed).

Actually it was even if it ment paving over commod spawns. Of course, Calais didn't wait for a blockade to build shoppes...
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[May 11, 2006 6:49:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

And i believe Star Explorers won at a very benificial time because i have yet to find a spot on the island where a shoppe can be squeezed in that does not pave over commods. So to some extent, Calais already paved the island.

Twigsy,
just stating.
-Twiggy

[Edit 1 times, last edit by IceColdFire at May 11, 2006 7:15:23 PM]
[May 11, 2006 7:15:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ninja277

Vanguard *vowed* to attack Napi every week? Dude, common, your post is one sided. I do not speak for them, but I think Napi was the last thing in their mind when partying in Boston. You are all so silly.

Do I even need to comment on the PP notice board of the estimation of 1.2 billion lost? Get the hell out of here. Do the math. Oh, but it is too easy. My god, the crap just flows and flows.

Disinformation ++

Anyone is welcome to send me tells in game and I will gladly discuss politics.
Tristan

All Oceans
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ninja277 at May 13, 2006 11:06:37 PM]
[May 13, 2006 10:20:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IceColdFire

Yeah, i can confirm the party in Boston. But i can also show you chat logs from VG royals stating that was the proclamation.

Why does everybody assume i hate Vanguard? There is not a person in this ocean who knows this information that can be completely unbiased. Rumors spread a certain way for a reason. It doesn't make a person any less dignified to state it that way.

It's just like how my real life enduced emotion conflicts prevented me from Admiralling Napi 3. Rumor stated that Requiem lost Napi Peak due to the confusion i enduced with my last second bail.

There is no solid proof saying that's incorrect, but i know better. Just like if you do, prove me wrong, or conclude it isn't worth the effort and walk away.
-Twiggy

[May 14, 2006 1:36:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Johnnyrico

One other quick clarification.

However, the true contrivercy here was when rumors started floating that Calais single-handedly paid the Syndicate to drop this warchest

This was not a rumour, but was actually directly stated by Ochubb (at that time of the Syndicate). Meh, I'm too lazy and disinterested to find the quote, I think it was on the VO forums somewhere.
J.
Evony
Dark Warriors
[May 15, 2006 12:31:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Ochubb and other Vanguard members are a wealth of information. Calais not so much, not much talk, lots of action.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[May 15, 2006 12:34:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Flak wrote: 
Ochubb and other Vanguard members are a wealth of information. Calais not so much, not much talk, lots of action.
Not surprisingly, the Vanguard members all play poker like they play the forums. Coincidence? Probably. ;)
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[May 15, 2006 12:47:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

One other quick clarification.

However, the true contrivercy here was when rumors started floating that Calais single-handedly paid the Syndicate to drop this warchest

This was not a rumour, but was actually directly stated by Ochubb (at that time of the Syndicate). Meh, I'm too lazy and disinterested to find the quote, I think it was on the VO forums somewhere.
J.

Let's try to clarify and do some general information again. Calais, at that time with Pay for play for about 3 months, come to us (The Syndicate) and ask us if we would be interested to help him blockade Terra. We discuss it.. and no, no money was offered to TS, but we agreed on a deal and the terms are between Calais and The Syndicate. Calais then joined us (in Ocean Generals) to prepare the blockade and the blockade was done, in the controversy we knows. After the split of OG and The Syndicate.. conducting to the foundation of Vanguard, Terra Island stayed under Calais control since he had financed and organized the whole show. So now, The Syndicate was not payed for it, it was more a deal including some services exchange but i think that Ocean Generals or Ochubb were payed for their personal contribution. And it was not fame evasion.. since fame evasion cannot be applyed to an individual but only to a flag.
[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[May 15, 2006 2:32:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lotus_elise3

Though, Ochubb posted on the VO forums Syndicate received PoE from Calais to blockade Terra, and Macgreggor has told me such too.
A Confirmed Basterd, Antix
Of Guerrilla Warfare 2018 fame

[May 16, 2006 5:57:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Sounds like he personally financed the blockade/paid all the costs, but did not actually "pay" the Syndicate for doing what he personally could not (drop a warchest).

Of such fine points are "spirit of the game" arguments made.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[May 16, 2006 7:50:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
danyellw

What has always suprised me is that Calais can generally do things that are selfish and incosiderate and still have lots of support during blockade time. I know very little of Calais in game or in RL, but I hear he is a nice guy. I know Ochubb better, as we have some RL things in common. I am sure that Calais the puzzle pirates pirate and Calais the RL person are 2 different people. I personally disagree with his approach to the game and the way he governs islands, politics, etc... but am sure he is a nice guy in real life.

Having said that, I hate what he did to Terra (the Island and the Palace) and I will defend TM with my last breath to prevent a "Suicide King Memorial somthing" from ever being placed on TM. :P
Ratoscurvy

co-founder - Imperial Coalition
co-founder - Midnight Aurora
[Edit 1 times, last edit by danyellw at May 16, 2006 10:24:11 PM]
[May 16, 2006 10:21:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

I am sure that Calais the puzzle pirates pirate and Calais the RL person are 2 different people.

Calais the Puzzle pirate: Ruthless island paver.
Calais the person behind the pirate: Cuddly kitten that crawls onto your lap and you don't have much choice in the matter of cuddles apparently

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

no u

-Pro

[May 16, 2006 11:30:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

What has always suprised me is that Calais can generally do things that are selfish and incosiderate and still have lots of support during blockade time.

Someone I used to know, who also had a bad reputation in some parts of the ocean, was beloved by many because (1) he was really really good at the game; (2) he always paid well; and (3) he was perceived as "sticking it to the Man" and making the ocean more exciting by tweaking the noses of the boring island-owning Establishment.

Something to consider.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by cmdrzoom at May 17, 2006 2:03:42 AM]
[May 17, 2006 2:01:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Flak_88

Calais is the "Man" in this case. He chose to play the alliance game. He's allied with the premier ocean power.
Flakcannon, on all English Oceans, except that imposter on Malachite.
Farming, cleaning up your poo, and making you drink it.
[May 17, 2006 4:36:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    habhabhabhab [Link]  Go to top 
juventus1

Yes, and I suppose Req is a bunch of perma-greenies who have never won a blockade in their life and whose allies are all dub-buying dockpressers. Sorry, the underdog guise just isn't working for me. Req against VG is definitely a close race, every time.

EDIT: I'm not saying Req is "The Man", I'm saying there IS no "The Man."
Desmagicus

"Be the change you want to see in the world."
-Mahatmas Gandhi
[Edit 1 times, last edit by juventus1 at May 17, 2006 9:50:49 AM]
[May 17, 2006 9:49:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Okay, so he's not the romanticized rebel. What about my other points? Is there some reason people support him that's not on my list?
[May 17, 2006 11:00:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

Because he's good at the game, and he pays well - whether he's blockading or pillaging I know it's going to be worth my time to go play with him.

For all that he plays the character of a barrelstopper at the higher levels, he's really a sweetheart to play with

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

no u

-Pro

[May 17, 2006 8:32:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Two out of three isn't bad.

David Xanatos wrote: 
Pay a man enough, and he'll walk barefoot into hell.

[May 17, 2006 9:27:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates