• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1238 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
ryani

Weird timing problems Reply to this Post

When I run the game on one of my machines, I get all sorts of weird timing problems:

- The clock on my machine gets slower and slower, to the point that it's off by a few minutes every hour that I play.
- The hourglass in sea battle only ticks down about halfway between moves--the amount of time is the same, but the hourglass is much slower
- Sometimes in swordfighting/sailing, my pieces suddenly decide to fall really fast for a half a second or so, like it's trying to catch up.
- And the worst part: when I'm commanding a ship and trying to target other ships, I get all sorts of other issues. Sometimes when I go to the crow's nest it shows me at the nav point with other ships even though we're in between nav points. Other ships and/or my ship sometimes are moving around at rocket speeds. A lot of the time it'll show me passing the island we just left four or five times (repeating every time I start a different puzzle or enter/leave the crows nest). And I can't target enemy ships at all... they'll show up on my screen as right on top of me and when I click 'attack' it says they are too far away to engage.

This machine is a P3/800 with 1GB RAM running Win2k professional bulid 2195 and Java 1.4.2_01.

Running it on my other machine ends up with none of these problems. That system is an old P3/500 with 256MB RAM running Win98.

Thanks in advance, for any help or ideas.

-- ryan
----------------------------------------
Blithey
Carpenter and Distiller of the Mad Mutineers
Midnight Armada
[Oct 17, 2003 11:35:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
keyla

Re: Weird timing problems Reply to this Post

i am by no means an expert, but here are my thoughts.

"Sometimes in swordfighting/sailing, my pieces suddenly decide to fall really fast for a half a second or so, like it's trying to catch up. "

this is just common lag, im pretty sure. a lot of people get this, especially at alpha docks! not much you can do here.

"when I'm commanding a ship and trying to target other ships, I get all sorts of other issues. Sometimes when I go to the crow's nest it shows me at the nav point with other ships even though we're in between nav points. Other ships and/or my ship sometimes are moving around at rocket speeds. A lot of the time it'll show me passing the island we just left four or five times (repeating every time I start a different puzzle or enter/leave the crows nest). And I can't target enemy ships at all... they'll show up on my screen as right on top of me and when I click 'attack' it says they are too far away to engage. "

how often does this happen? some of these things happen to me, infrequently. sometimes it is a lag issue, im pretty sure (eg when a boat is too far away to engage but right next to you)

the other issues happen infrequently to me but dont impair my gameplay... and i'd suspect its a graphics issue.

things you can try:
- re-installing puzzle pirates, & java
- getting the most recent drivers for your graphics card. if the most recent ones still dont work, consider trying older, more stable ones.

again, im not an expert :D but thats what i think :)
[size=9]Captain of the Rudder Royals! Want to join us for Midnight? Shoot me a PM :)
leaving this signature as it is because its a relic :p
[Oct 17, 2003 3:07:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleaver
Captain

Step 1: install Linux Reply to this Post

Ahh Windows and your lovely timer. We are constantly finding wacky stuff that Windows does with the timer (like winding time *back* when it decides that it's out of sync). Sometimes it just doesn't play nicely with Java. It would help if, when you get an acute example of the problems you describe, you did a bug report -- then we get some useful timestamped data, and we are tracking these things and fixing them when we can.

I believe that also restarting your client regularly will help with these issues.
[Oct 18, 2003 5:50:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
sunnylc2

How do I? Reply to this Post

I have this problem all the time! Matter of fact, everytime that I play. It is very difficult to do my duty as an officer of the crew if I can't target the enemy.

-My computer clock doesn't just wind down. It stops.
-If we have just left a league point and I enter a puzzle, my screen shows that we are on the opposite side of the league point. It is also the same with islands.
-My vessel can be sailing along and suddenly be attacked and I never even saw them coming.
-Or I can see a vessel and attempt to attack them and get the message that "they are too far away to mount a chase". When on my screen they are right beside us.

I've tried the other suggestions in the post and none of them has helped. So, to help the DEVs out with trying to fix it, I need to get some information.

1. How do I make a bug report that will show a screen shot of the problem with it?
2. Can I take some screenshots and send them with an email? To what email address?
3. Could this be a problem with my monitor's refresh rate?
4. Any other suggestions on a fix?

Thanks for your time!

Sunny, Officer of The Cartographers, Under the Compass Rose Flag.
Sunny
[Dec 15, 2003 11:22:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Claudia

No screenshot required. Just type /bug "brief description of the problem". Then they can look at your logs from that period and see what went on.
Utena of Revolutionary Crew Utena
[Dec 15, 2003 11:44:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stiiv

Java problems Reply to this Post

I'm seeing this exact same thing. I'll try a /bug message, but it happens all the time. With a clean reboot, without. You name it.

It's a brand new dell 5150 running Windows XP Pro, so it's not a performance issue. Looks like a timing issue with Java, frankly.
[Jan 20, 2004 3:02:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lallaria

If you're running XP, then make sure you double click on your clock and select the "Internet Time" tab. Find out if it happens to be syncing when you're trying to play (that'd be a problem) and also switch it to either or the nist.gov servers (windows time server is sometimes off by 3-4 minutes and screws up)

Not sure if it'll help or not, but you should give it a shot.
Lallaria
[size=10]Retired
[Jan 21, 2004 12:04:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Lallaria [Link]  Go to top 
stiiv

Clock Reply to this Post

Well, the clock itself was fine. Set to one of the NIST time servers and all that.

But, indeed, the problem was solved by letting the clock float on its own. Must be some odd Java interaction.

So thank ye for the solution!
[Jan 21, 2004 3:43:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stiiv

Clock problem Reply to this Post

Alas, that didn't really fix it.

Although the slow motion moonwalk effect is pretty funny, it gets dull after a while.

Anyone seen this problem lately?
[Feb 12, 2004 1:36:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates