• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 262
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 77678 times and has 261 replies Next Thread
Apollo
OceanMaster

The Pillaging Picasso - WINNERS ANNOUNCED

Winners announced in this linked thread

Some would argue that the last few centuries have given us a wealth of artistic delights. Art galleries with their painted treasures displayed for us to enjoy. Private collections, museums, attics. Artists living in grandeur, artists dying in poverty, painting and daubing and scraping and splattering and dabbing and dotting with passion for their satisfaction and our enlightenment. Looking at these masterpieces, these awe-inspiring works, I find myself breathing faster, standing taller; these world-famous paintings reach deep down inside me, and touch my soul, and my soul leaps and cries "What's with all the fruit and ladies? Where are the pirates, dudes?".

Your challenge this month is to choose a famous painting and to piratify it. Your changes can be subtle or obvious, simple or complex.

There will be two categories in this contest - "Created" and "Photoshopped".

Created
For entry in the Created category, the picture you submit should be all your own (in execution, that is). You select an original painting to base your work on, but the whole entry as submitted is created by yourself. This can be done fully by hand or computer-aided, but the work should be all yours.
Note: your entry should still be a parody of an existing well-known painting!
Note2: we've made some clarifications in the discussion about this category, to allow for entries that don't fit unambiguously in either category. The main distinction between the categories is that the Created category should be put together without using any part of the original picture. Existing images can be used from elsewhere, and put together to form a parody, but none of the original picture should be used. Acknowledgement of sources for existing art would be appreciated to save judging time.

Photoshopped
Entries in this category will be ones that use any or all of an image of the original painting. In this category, you may take a digital image of the original painting, and manipulate it to create your piratey version. If you are using any part of the original, you should submit your entry in this category.

Pesky Rules
* Maximum of one entry per player per category. i.e. you are allowed two entries if (and only if) one is Created and one is Photoshopped.
* Whichever category you are in, the original work you choose should be a painting rather than e.g. a sculpture. If you're creating something in real media, you can use paints or other media, but it should look basically like a painting!
* There will be three threads for this contest. This thread contains rules and discussion. Two entry threads will be created, one for the Created category and one for the Photoshopped category. The entry threads will be pruned mercilessly of any post that isn't an entry. If you have a comment on an entry, even if it's "I can't see that image", post in this thread with a link.
* I will only accept entries in the nominated entry threads, not by any other route.
* I reserve the right to remove or disqualify an entry for any reason, including (but not limited to) entries containing images inappropriate to this forum.
* Your prizes will be awarded to the pirate and ocean named with your entry.
* If you alter your entry, please edit the original post rather than adding a new one.
* You may edit your entry post up to the deadline but no later.

Submissions
Your entry should include the following information.

Pirate name
Ocean
Title of original painting
Artist of original painting

Title of your piratey version (if you wish to)
A very brief list of the media / software used in your submission.

You should then include a link to an image of the original painting that you are parodying, and a link to an image of your own piratey version of it. Note, I want links rather than images in the thread. Hosts like photobucket, imageshack and flickr all allow easy hosting of your images.

Click here to add an entry to the "Created" category.
Click here to add an entry to the "Photoshopped" category.

Deadline
12 noon PDT on Monday 29th May 2006.

Judging criteria
The winner is likely to be of high technical execution - whether that is original work or computer manipulation.
The winner is likely to be an entry that incorporates piratey features while retaining much of the original style and ambience of the original.

Grand Prizes
The winner of the Created category will win an octopus, in the winner's choice of color, other than white or black.
The winner of the Photoshopped category will win an octopus, in the winner's choice of color, other than white or black.
A number of runner-up prizes will also be awarded. The final list will be announced along with the results, but prizes are likely to include sleeping animals, rare furniture, trinkets and maybe even a Golden Ticket or two if I can persuade Young Master Pip!

Any other questions? Please ask and I'll do my best to answer and update the above information as necessary!

Edit: to add a clarification note to the Created category.
Edit2: to add a further clarification, following the discussions.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Apollo at Jun 6, 2006 10:02:10 PM]
[May 3, 2006 1:13:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

Re: The Pillaging Picasso - win an octopus (or two!)

Wee. Sounds like fun... I'll come up with something. :)
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[May 3, 2006 1:23:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Ooooh - sharpening pencils right now.

I reserve the right to remove or disqualify an entry for any reason, including (but not limited to) entries containing images inappropriate to this forum.

So no nudes eh? Darn - a fun version of 'Dejeuner sur L'herbe' sprang into my mind. Back to t'drawing board.
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[May 3, 2006 2:29:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
evermind

Yay Apollo for making more art contests! *dance*
[Art Commissions - Closed][DeviantArt]
[May 3, 2006 7:02:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    skyscape6 [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Could I please remind people of these two things:

* No images in the entry thread, please. Links only.
* You must include a link to the original as well as a link to your version.

Thank you.
[May 3, 2006 11:59:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Apollo you make me go *squeee.*
I know what I'll be doing for the week between finals and wandering off to thailand! Now if only I hadn't thrown away my art history notebooks from the last two semesters >.<;

Might I suggest a prize addition? It would be entirely fitting for you to throw in a few of your lovely apollo dolls for me to drool over and play kissy-face with us to admire. Just a thought ;D
No, I'm not.. entirely desperate..
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[May 4, 2006 8:51:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

It is entirely possible that an Apollo doll would be on the potential prize list. *grins*
[May 4, 2006 9:35:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Gaille

Kitt wrote: 
wandering off to thailand!

Welcome in advance, and I hope you have a pleasant visit.
Gail on the Sage Ocean
My vanity page.
[May 4, 2006 9:42:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Another note to clarify, as I was asked a question on it. The "Created" category entries should still be parodies of existing well-known paintings. I'm not after your own original piratey paintings, I'm after parodies. In both categories, you choose an original work to base your entry on, but the difference between "Created" and "Photoshopped" is that in "Created", you are producing your parody from scratch rather than using a digital image of it as a starting point.
[May 4, 2006 11:20:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
AndromedaCL

2 questions:

First, I did a piraty version of the Last Supper as a commissioned work - original art, representing characters from the game . Could I submit that or does it have to be made specifically for this contest?

Secondly, can we enter more than once?
Carribean
Carribean Cruise Lines

Androclea's Realm
[May 4, 2006 6:21:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/androcleasrealm/home.htm    AndrocleasRealm    AndrocleaNight [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Apollo wrote: 
* Maximum of one entry per player per category. i.e. you are allowed two entries if (and only if) one is Created and one is Photoshopped.

Kitt on Cobalt

[May 4, 2006 6:43:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

First, I did a piraty version of the Last Supper as a commissioned work - original art, representing characters from the game . Could I submit that or does it have to be made specifically for this contest?

On the whole, I'd rather it was original for the contest, but I guess that as long as you haven't used the picture in a contest before, you can use it here if you need to.

As Kitt said, you are allowed one entry in each category if you wish.
[May 4, 2006 10:27:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
guripop

Apollo wrote: 
Your challenge this month is to choose a famous painting and to piratify it. Your changes can be subtle or obvious, simple or complex.

Firstly, when you say painting, do you mean that the piece has to have colour? So this piratified piece, submited by ysanne007 , would not be accepted?

Secondly, does it have to be a piece by a famous artist? Or can it just be a piece like this that I just found on google? I can find out who the artist is and what the name of the piece is, but am I allowed to use a piece like that (not neccesarily that one)?
Ow on Viridian.
My Graffiti-tag Shop
[Edit 1 times, last edit by guripop at May 5, 2006 3:00:48 PM]
[May 5, 2006 3:00:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Firstly, when you say painting, do you mean that the piece has to have colour? So this piratified piece, submited by ysanne007 , would not be accepted?

Ideally, I'd like paintings (including frescos, ceilings, etc) but I'm willing to be reasonably broad in the definition of painting. Chalks, pastels, etc, aren't too far away from what I had in mind. The main thing is that they're basically two-dimensional works of art rather than three-dimensional.

Secondly, does it have to be a piece by a famous artist? Or can it just be a piece like this that I just found on google? I can find out who the artist is and what the name of the piece is, but am I allowed to use a piece like that (not neccesarily that one)?

I would rather it was a well-known work rather than a random image you find. I think we're more likely to appreciate changes to a work that we are already familiar with than from something that we've never seen before. Naturally, your definition of "well-known" could be much wider than mine, so I wouldn't say that I'd disqualify entries for it - just a comment that I think a well-known work is more likely to be successful.
[May 5, 2006 4:46:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

Ideally, I'd like paintings (including frescos, ceilings, etc) but I'm willing to be reasonably broad in the definition of painting. Chalks, pastels, etc, aren't too far away from what I had in mind. The main thing is that they're basically two-dimensional works of art rather than three-dimensional.

Ok so just to be sure, my piratified version of that Leonardo Da Vincy is valid for the contest right? I'd like to know now while I have the time to work on something else and not just at the last minute....
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[May 5, 2006 5:13:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
guripop

Ok so just to be sure, my piratified version of that Leonardo Da Vincy is valid for the contest right? I'd like to know now while I have the time to work on something else and not just at the last minute....

Apollo wrote: 

So basicly, the answer is yes... you piece would be accepted.
Ow on Viridian.
My Graffiti-tag Shop
[May 5, 2006 7:15:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Ysanne's piece actually is a painting that the artist had problems with. It wouldn't dry. I believe this particular piece was one done by an apprentice and not him, though, but I could be wrong.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[May 5, 2006 9:13:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Yes. It's fine.
[May 6, 2006 12:21:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
guripop

According to what Apollo wrote in response to my question:

I would rather it was a well-known work rather than a random image you find. I think we're more likely to appreciate changes to a work that we are already familiar with than from something that we've never seen before. Naturally, your definition of "well-known" could be much wider than mine, so I wouldn't say that I'd disqualify entries for it - just a comment that I think a well-known work is more likely to be successful.

I believe that bloodwolf80 's Piratey Soup Entery would not be accepted. Am I correct?
Ow on Viridian.
My Graffiti-tag Shop
[May 6, 2006 6:33:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ysanne007

I'd say that the original can of soup painting is actually very well known.
Neerie of the Hunter Ocean
Formerly known as Reenie and Maeve on Viridian.
[May 6, 2006 6:48:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

I plan to put some emotion, rather than humor into mine...

What do you have to say on the use of blood and gore? To keep it in a similiar mood to the original painting, I plan to have a severed limb or two...
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[May 6, 2006 8:12:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

I'd say that the original can of soup painting is actually very well known.

Don't be silly. No one's ever even heard of Andy Warhol, and that's most certainly not one of his most well known pieces. Infact, pop-art retroactivly never even existed.

:P
Kitt on Cobalt

[May 6, 2006 9:36:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

According to what Apollo wrote in response to my question:

I believe that bloodwolf80 's Piratey Soup Entery would not be accepted. Am I correct?

Why on earth not? I'm not sure I follow your reasoning.

Edit: Ah, ok. You don't recognise it? It's a very well-known painting, and absolutely an appropriate original work.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Apollo at May 6, 2006 10:26:56 AM]
[May 6, 2006 10:23:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
sseth

What about using only parts of famous paintings? I'm not talking about piratifying a closeup of Mona Lisa's left eyebrow - but I guess it's ok that we only use parts of the original, if it's e.g. something like a huge fresco?
Sseth

Frootloot, my short YPP animation film
[May 6, 2006 10:33:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

What about using only parts of famous paintings? I'm not talking about piratifying a closeup of Mona Lisa's left eyebrow - but I guess it's ok that we only use parts of the original, if it's e.g. something like a huge fresco?

Aye, sure.
[May 6, 2006 12:27:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
raincake

I'm a bit worried... some people have posted entries with ideas very similar to or exactly the same as what I was going to do. Will I get accused of copying people, or not be able to get as many points because somebody else has already done it?
Spoonio on Sage Ocean
Avatar? - Not taking anymore requests until current queue is finished!
[May 6, 2006 12:35:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
andman

I'm a bit worried... some people have posted entries with ideas very similar to or exactly the same as what I was going to do. Will I get accused of copying people, or not be able to get as many points because somebody else has already done it?

I am sure you won't get in trouble for copying. I know, when I thought of this, many things came to mind- Mona Lisa, Scream, etc. I am sure it was the same with lots of people. Ye can use the same painting, as long as ye don't mind yer entry being a bit cliché.
Iollipop!
ooh baby baby.
[May 6, 2006 3:35:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtfuloblivion    hello4am [Link]  Go to top 
sseth

Another question: Are you looking for "pirateyfied" or "YPPified" panitings?
Sseth

Frootloot, my short YPP animation film
[May 6, 2006 4:09:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gaille

andman wrote: 
Spoonio wrote: 

I am sure you won't get in trouble for copying. I know, when I thought of this, many things came to mind- Mona Lisa, Scream, etc. I am sure it was the same with lots of people. Ye can use the same painting, as long as ye don't mind yer entry being a bit cliché.

Hedvvig wrote: 
original:)

photoshopped :)

hedvvig

original : The scream (or the cry)

mine ^.^: teh black shippy

Scream... and that was exactly what I had in mind...

Edit: fixed quotes
Gail on the Sage Ocean
My vanity page.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Gaille at May 6, 2006 4:49:24 PM]
[May 6, 2006 4:48:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruined_ashes

Scream... and that was exactly what I had in mind...

great minds, eh?:)
I sometimes do avatars!
Book on Obsidian
Bookly on Emerald
[May 6, 2006 7:06:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 262   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates