• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 39
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9799 times and has 38 replies Next Thread
ScaryMuffin

Return of the Chessmaster Tournament! Now 100% more Piratey Reply to this Post

Well, as I promised, I am back with a bigger and better chess tournament idea. You can no longer say that my promises are half-baked. (pause for laughter)

National Igloo of the very cutie flag, QT (Quixotic Tangent), presents: Piratey Chess

To prevent the usage of third party programs (ie. Chessmaster) we will be playing using modified rules, outlined here

Here's how it works:
Register at http://s15.invisionfree.com/YPP_Chess and sign yourself up in the tournament thread. I will draw up the bracket and the tournament will begin! Losers are eliminated and Winners advance. After the semi finals, the winners will play for 1st and 2nd place while the losers will play for 3rd and 4th.

What you're playing for
These prizes will be FedEx-ed over to the ocean of your choice. The pirate that places first gets first choice of the prizes and so on and so forth. The prizes are:

-A White War Brig renamed "The White Check Shark"
-A sleeping pig OR a sleeping turtle furniture
-A shell OR a flower trinket of any type and colour (except gold or black)
-A White and Black armour furniture to start your very own indoor chess set
-Every pirate that places will get a nifty White/Black fancy ribbon

The rules
Once the tournament begins, players are given exactly two days per move. If two days have passed and you have not made your move, you will be forced to resign.

Everyone will be expected to know how to use the bbcode to play chess on the forums. I will put up a more detailed guide if necessary. You have more than half a month to mess around in the free play area of the forums before the tournament begins

THE TOURNEY STARTS MAY 1st, 2006. REGISTER TODAY!
----------------------------------------
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Edit 4 times, last edit by ScaryMuffin at Apr 26, 2006 6:06:18 PM]
[Apr 11, 2006 12:39:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Re: Return of the Chessmaster Tournament! Now 100% more Piratey Reply to this Post

I see a bunch of you signing up on the YPP chess forums, mostly from Sage though. Be sure to spread the word! The more the merrier I say...and if we get enough, I'll add a sloop or a cutter or something to the prize pool.

Don't forget to ask your questions here or just make general comments. I'd hate to be bumping this thread over and over with only minor things to say :p

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 12, 2006 4:31:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stlnmyhrt

Re: Return of the Chessmaster Tournament! Now 100% more Piratey Reply to this Post

I always like to play chess now and again, but I'm not very well versed in the language per say. What is bbcode and where can I find somewhere to read up on it?
Beu
Captain of Artemithian Legions
Conquering Viridian one step at a time.
[Apr 14, 2006 12:30:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

There should be some basic tutorials on the YPP Chess forums linked above...if you're still lost after that, I can help you out.

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 14, 2006 2:05:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dark_cola0

Lorddarkcola Sage
[Apr 14, 2006 3:34:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bottleofrum5

should we register in our pirate name that we want the prize sent to.
[Apr 14, 2006 6:02:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Twitches

So, I sign up and I'm instantly entered or what?
Arrr, that be me in the corner. And arrr, I be wasted indeed.
[Apr 14, 2006 10:30:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

meh that type of chess looks to complicated to me to try it out...
Damagon
[Apr 14, 2006 10:31:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Register in the registration thread in the YPP Chess forums using the name of the pirate and the ocean that you want the prize to go to.

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 14, 2006 11:26:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
henkelenke

capnme viridian
Semi-retired
[Apr 15, 2006 9:51:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Alfwyn

Don't forget to ask your questions here or just make general comments. I'd hate to be bumping this thread over and over with only minor things to say :p

Ok, so I have a bunch of questions :)

Since english isn't my first language, just a quick clarification. A 'major piece' is any piece except a pawn ?

Now two rule questions:

When a pawn captures forward up/down, does this require a major piece next to the pawn too ?

Does en passant capturing extend to the third dimesion too, or is it only possible by staying on the same deck ?
[Apr 17, 2006 12:28:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

En Passant should only work on the same deck seeing how it's function is described as a pawn doing a two jump pass a pawn. A pawn won't pass another pawn if that pawn is on another board, thus En Passant only works on the same board.

Major piece=any piece except pawn.

If you look at the game I'm playing against veridis right now, I fianchettoed my deck kingside bishop and then used the fianchettoed pawn to capture the enemy knight on the galley board.

Pawns cannot capture directly up or down, but they can capture diagonally forward (5 options to capture, 2 on the board it's on, the regular ways and the 3 squares in front of it on the other board)

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 17, 2006 1:45:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nobahar

Are prizes applicable to the new Hunter server?
Crow
[Apr 17, 2006 2:00:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Aye they are, the OMs will help me transfer the prizes wherever they need to be.

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 17, 2006 10:11:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Firefalcon87

Could you just play regular chess on one board then again on the other cause I kick booty in regular chess but im not fond of 2 boards i dont really get the rules.

Does the knight have to move up?

Can the king move one space around itself and can it castle?

What would you describe as a major piece?

Do you HAVE to go up with certain pieces? like the bishop or the knight?
[Apr 18, 2006 5:35:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

The reason why I'm not making the tournament regular chess is because I won't be able to tell whether a person is really good or just using a computer to play for them.

None of the pieces HAVE to go up, it's just another option. That is, you can move the pieces on the same board that it is on or move it up. You will probably have to move things up and down seeing how the king and queen are on opposite boards.

Following this, the King can move one space around itself and normal castling rules apply (there is no way for you to castle up/down)

I've already describe what a major piece is...it is anything but a pawn.

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 18, 2006 12:08:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scott_level

The rules said that rooks have to be next to a major piece in order to move up/down. Could you send a rook down if it is next to another rook?
Dont double post please just edit your posts instead

scottl on the midnight ocean
FO of Orion's Blade
member of the flag cold steel
[Apr 18, 2006 8:28:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Certainly, don't see why not.

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 18, 2006 9:21:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Registration ends 11pm PST on April 30th. Once PST goes into May 1st, the tournament bracket will be posted and the timers will start ticking. Be ready and have fun!

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 20, 2006 4:15:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shogib

Just a bit of a terminology nitpick. In general major piece refers a queen or a rook while a minor piece would refer to a knight or a bishop. Pawns are not considered 'pieces' but are rather refered to as pawns. Whatever avoids confusion the best I'll leave to you just as long as everyone understands that rooks may transfer boards while sitting next to a king, queen, rook, bishop, or knight.
Shogia SO of Reality on Viridian
Shogia on Midnight, Opal, and Hunter
Shardsofice on Sage and Cobalt
[Apr 22, 2006 6:40:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tallone315

this sould be fun i have not played chess this way in a long time i will have to set the board up next to the computer though

Good luck to all

tallone
[Apr 23, 2006 4:42:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Just realized that the registration link was broken. Fixed now. Four more days until the tournament starts!

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 26, 2006 6:07:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

Let me just point out that the endgames will now be much more diffucult, and we'll be seeing a lot of draws. What will you do in the case of a tie? (Not only in one round, but in all, since theres no ratings or such to add up?)
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
Reborn 3/5/08 and in the process of rebuilding my pirate
[Apr 26, 2006 7:08:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

I might do a few tweaks where necessary..including making stalemate=checkmate (as in chinese chess), if it's a stalemate via not enough pieces to checkmate, that's a win for the person with more pieces (might have a minimum at say 3 or something)

If I get desparate, I can get people to play a quick modified chess endgame minigame :p

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 27, 2006 3:08:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
poiseidon

where do you play the chess tournament on??? in the puzzle pirate game all in a website

does the chess play on 2 boards, one board is to attack and one board is to defend. but what happens if you killed all the pieces on your defending board????

And why can't we just have a normal chess board system, where there is only one board, because it is very complicated to have two boards playing at the same time.

and if we're playing on that 'moneygaming' website, it won't work on me......somehow.......
Dragoon of Hunter and Viridian
Senior Officer of Black Hunter
[Edit 2 times, last edit by poiseidon at Apr 27, 2006 1:18:19 PM]
[Apr 27, 2006 1:08:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

where do you play the chess tournament on??? in the puzzle pirate game all in a website

does the chess play on 2 boards, one board is to attack and one board is to defend. but what happens if you killed all the pieces on your defending board????

And why can't we just have a normal chess board system, where there is only one board, because it is very complicated to have two boards playing at the same time.

and if we're playing on that 'moneygaming' website, it won't work on me......somehow.......

Please re-read the OP carefully and note the website that we'll be playing on.

The reason why we're not playing regular chess is because people may use an AI program to play for them.

The site that I'm using is completely free and won't try to swindle you in any way, shape or form.

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 27, 2006 2:18:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
poiseidon

i don't really see the website. when i pressed 'chess game' or 'play chess' it just go to a list of chess website from google :S
Dragoon of Hunter and Viridian
Senior Officer of Black Hunter
[Apr 28, 2006 10:02:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

The links at the top are google ads...

If you scroll down you'll see the forums where we're playing. Currently there are a few games going on under "free play."

Go to the "Announcement" section to register for the tournament.

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 28, 2006 12:20:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Less than one day to register! in 23 hours and 30 minutes I will be closing registration and putting up the bracket.

My computer has been acting up funny lately (Getting a new one within a week ^_^). In the event of my not being to make a post. Registration will still cut off at 11pm PST tomorrow according to invision's forum time and the event will begin whenever I post the bracket up. Remember that you have a maximum of 2 days between moves (just like the familiar auctions) If you do not make a move when it is your turn for 2 days since your opponent posted, you will be disqualified.

Absentee notices will be taken via PM on the YPP Chess forums if done with enough forewarning and if it does not postpone the tournament too long. After the fact excuses will not be accepted under any circumstances. (yes, I will be heartless if necessary)

Apollo wrote: 

[Apr 29, 2006 11:26:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rytvx4

RYMODO FROM VIRDAN
Rytvx4
[May 1, 2006 11:56:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    super05boy [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 39   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates