• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4295 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
dadadude

moving to sub oceans? Reply to this Post

after playing for quite a while, I have decided I'd rather play on a sub ocean rather than dubs. (just because people can buy there success with credit cards there) But I'm a bit afraid of starting in an ocean that is already old and I find that the older the ocean, the less of an opportunity to be successful there. Is this true? Can you convince me as to whether to stay on Sage or not or as to when I should move? I'm not asking for the pros and cons of a dub.vs.sub ocean, I already know that. I'd simply like to know where and when I should change as well as why then.

I was thinking of possibly waiting for an entirely new ocean to open but that can literally be years from now. Good idea or not?
[Apr 9, 2006 9:53:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AtheneNoctua

Re: moving to sub oceans? Reply to this Post

Try Cobalt rather than Midnight (if you're worried about an ocean being "too old"). ;-)
----------------------------------------

[Edit 1 times, last edit by AtheneNoctua at Apr 9, 2006 9:56:27 AM]
[Apr 9, 2006 9:55:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

There's a new ocean on the horizon, but rumor has it that it'll be another doubloon ocean.

In regards to Cobalt vs. Midnight, obviously Midnight has been around longer, has a stable economy, the people are set in their elitist ways, and the stat lists are all out of whack because of how many people are uber-ults. So, if you're looking for an established ocean where most of the islands are already taken and you don't care about working your booty off to get decent stats, go with Midnight. Just be prepared to join an already established flag.

Cobalt, however, is still fairly new. New crews and flags pop up everyday, there is still plenty of opportunity to get ahead, and the economy is still growing so traders and merchants thrive. The downside is there is alot of political turmoil...people stabbing each other in the back. So, if you want to run your own crew, or you don't care about politics, go with Cobalt.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Apr 9, 2006 10:00:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TarnumTheRed

It is totally possible to go over to sub ocean and succeed, as long as you get in with the right crew and mates. I have seen relatively new players in our crew rise very quickly. It is all about your ambition and desire and who you join up with.
Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
Muroni wrote: 
Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Apr 9, 2006 10:04:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

aye, sometime new mates join me own crew on Midnight and make Senior Officer in less than two months - starting from complete greenies. it just depends on which crew ye join.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Apr 9, 2006 10:24:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

aye, thank ye all. I might go to cobalt with it. Set in stone economies and impossible to go up situations were my main concern. I simply like the idea of everybody being on even terms in sub oceans. In doub oceans people buy their terms with credit cards.

If there is an ocean on the horizon, I'll wait and hope it turns out sub but you never know. I just think that it's about time for a sub because a doub ocean was the last to be made. Way to go sage for being almost a half year old :P
[Apr 9, 2006 12:11:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

Why not just play on both until you decide which one you like more?
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Apr 9, 2006 12:24:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

(just because people can buy there success with credit cards there)

Pfft... No one can do that... It doesnt matter if you are the richest guy in the world, if you can't perform well a puzzle , you wont go far.

It doesnt matter if you have 5 GFs and 2 Estates . You need to be good in order to use them.
Damagon
[Apr 9, 2006 2:53:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jondigger20

(just because people can buy there success with credit cards there)

Pfft... No one can do that... It doesnt matter if you are the richest guy in the world, if you can't perform well a puzzle , you wont go far.

It doesnt matter if you have 5 GFs and 2 Estates . You need to be good in order to use them.

*points to Antix*

Living proof that what you just said is totally wrong.
Johndigger

Fleet Officer of The British Eagles

All round barrelstopper.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by jondigger20 at Apr 9, 2006 3:13:27 PM]
[Apr 9, 2006 3:12:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dewdlebug

Dude, what exactly is your definition of success for playing the game? It's different for many ranging from winning & governing an island to call their own, monopolizing a chain of stalls to being a mutli-poellionaire and getting that elusive familiar.

I started out on Sage. Sure, I bought some dubs early on because I was friggin impatient. Lately? I've been spending more time on the sub oceans, mostly on Midnight. Why? Because I like being there. Granted, I'm still bit of an ocean hopper because have made a great many relationships on all the oceans and I enjoy hanging out with them too. Heck, I'm far from even being a rich pirate but no longer play for the poe and (virtual) material possessions nor have I even mastered any or all the puzzles because they bore me to hell now. No, I play because I want to hang out and have fun with poeple I like to be around with.

Regarding your comment on dub players buying their success. If you're speaking in the sense of a player being able to buy a house, furnish it and wear the clothes they want with out expending the many hours of labor, then that's their call. Whatever. But if you're referring to some of those that have built empires, that's certainly arguable. There are quite a few players on the dub oceans that did not buy their success and to over-generalize all successful players as unskillful and bought their fame with the buying power of a credit card is not a fair statement.

In the end, success should be what you make of it.
You know what they say about having sex with asians? You scupper them and you'll be horny again after an hour...
[Apr 9, 2006 3:54:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Would people please realize that without those people that spend fortunes on buying doubloons they would not be able to exchange poe for doubloons, and would then be forced to spend money themselves or be limited in their gameplay? It's what makes the whole system work. You can't have one without the other.

Edit* Not saying you can't dislike the system, that's why it's great we have subscriptions too, but there's too many people tarting about those that buy lots of doubs without realizing these people are also funding their game experience.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Edit 2 times, last edit by fanta at Apr 9, 2006 4:26:01 PM]
[Apr 9, 2006 4:20:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

It is entirely possible to move to a sub ocean as a new player there and be very successful. The key will be your social skills....
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Apr 9, 2006 4:31:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

If you think someone like Antix was succesful because of using a credit card, you will fail spectacularly on any ocean you try. Actually, not that spectacularly.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Apr 9, 2006 5:56:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
damagon

Funny thing is Antix isn't the ONLY one using credit cards.

I know MANY people with millions of PoE and hundreds of dubs. However they are not widely known simply because they're NOT good. They are merely officers in mediocre crews and mediocre skills.

You can't buy the best crew, you can't buy the best flag, you can't buy a blockade. You can't buy skills , you can't buy experience. And if you read my previous paragraph you will see that you can't buy fame and popularity. No matter how much money you have.

And please, ANYONE who has bought a familiar with a credit card is FAR from being successful.
Damagon
[Edit 1 times, last edit by damagon at Apr 9, 2006 8:08:41 PM]
[Apr 9, 2006 8:06:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bifnot

There's a new ocean on the horizon, but rumor has it that it'll be another doubloon ocean.

The new ocean will require banks, so that seems likely.
[Edit 36 times, last edit by Bifnot at Apr 1, 1863 5:21:07 PM]
[Apr 9, 2006 8:36:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

The new ocean will require banks, so that seems likely.
Doubloons can be accessed through the "info" screen. I think that's more due to the secret bank plans that Cleaver said something about like a year ago.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Apr 9, 2006 8:54:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates