• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 851
Posts: 851   Pages: 29   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 283949 times and has 850 replies Next Thread
Damselfly

Posting art Reply to this Post

Awesome art! How do I submit mine? I've tried emailing it but that doesn't seem to be working.
Any suggestions are welcome.
;)[size=18]
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

Re: Fan Arrrt Reply to this Post

Probably the simplest way is to go over to www.deviantart.com and sign up for a free account there. The site is designed as an image gallery and community, and accepts any and all work - photographs, drawings, sculptures, icons, etc. Then you just submit your piece there, and post the link to it here. :)

A slightly more difficult route involves either getting hosting of your own or bothering someone you know who has hosting, uploading your piece to the host, and linking to that from here. It can get tricky because some places (Angelfire, GeoCities, etc.) don't allow direct linking - which means if you try to use an image tag to display your picture here, it won't show up.

I recommend a deviantArt account for anyone who likes to create art and wants a place to display it, free, without too much hassle. I'll happily help anyone who asks - just send me a PM or email. :)
----------------------------------------
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[Jul 10, 2004 7:42:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Damselfly

Thanks Inuki! Reply to this Post

Thank you! I found the Deviantart site. It's so cool. I didn't even know it existed. Thanks for your help.
;)

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Damselfly at Jul 11, 2004 7:23:54 AM]
[Jul 11, 2004 7:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Damselfly

Shooga Reply to this Post

[Edit 4 times, last edit by Damselfly at Jul 11, 2004 7:25:03 AM]
[Jul 11, 2004 7:25:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

I got bored today so I busted out the ol' watercolour tubes.

[Jul 14, 2004 3:42:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
captainada

just to give it a go :) Reply to this Post

Ahoy all of ye!

follow the link for the drawing i made for Defaid:

http://img33.exs.cx/img33/7152/Defaidfinal.jpg

enzoy!
~ Adee ~ on Sage
Ocean Lords
Red Flag Armada

~ Starless ~ on Midnight
Vendetta's Sprouts
WIDOWS and ORPHANS
[Edit 1 times, last edit by captainada at Jul 14, 2004 9:57:31 PM]
[Jul 14, 2004 9:57:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Damselfly

Beautiful and sad Reply to this Post

HuskyTed wrote: 
I got bored today so I busted out the ol' watercolour tubes.

I love it. Watercolors are so difficult for me to manipulate. But you did a beautiful job!!! It makes me sad looking at it. Very somber.
[Jul 15, 2004 12:43:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Damselfly

Eckobabay Reply to this Post

I painted this one using Corel Paint of me shipmate Eckobabay. I painted the background, her garb, and redid some of her makeup and her nails. I also changed her eye color.

http://deviantart.com/view/8915671/
Isnt' she beautiful?

[Jul 15, 2004 12:47:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

Re: Beautiful and sad Reply to this Post

Damselfly wrote: 
I love it. Watercolors are so difficult for me to manipulate. But you did a beautiful job!!! It makes me sad looking at it. Very somber.

Thanks! He's sad because his orange is too bright. ;)
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Jul 15, 2004 1:35:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Gasp! More noses!

http://www.deviantart.com/view/8938734/
[Jul 16, 2004 6:13:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Fehu

A commute Reply to this Post

Something I was daydreaming about on my commute today...

[img]http://home.comcast.net/~fehu-adluo/Drawings/Drawings-Thumbnails/1.jpg[/img]

~F
Captainette of Seeing Dread
<< Indie >>
Owner of the Sloop Polite Barbel
[Jul 16, 2004 12:22:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stripey2004

<----------------Me practising drawing with a mouse pad. I'm actually quite fond of it in all its roughness. Doubtless he seen a few sea battles.
Featherfin
SO - Ransack Marauders, Lord - Marauders Pact
YPPedia administrator | Island Designer
"What's the Welsh for sea cucumber?" - Orsino
[Jul 19, 2004 8:23:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    FeatherfinYIPP [Link]  Go to top 
Damselfly

Sea Dragon Reply to this Post

Thought maybe this applied as it is sea related.
Sea monster or sea dragon. whatever.

[Jul 20, 2004 5:09:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

A pair of avatars:
Tigris - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8828284/
Yngvild - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9165153/

A photograph I took several summers ago, off Santa Catalina Island - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8912751/

And a wedding present for Annaliese and Grae - http://www.rit.edu/~alr7719/art/annagrae.jpg

I would love critique on the last piece. I haven't actually given it to them yet (neither reads the forum.. I hope), so I still have time to do tweaking and touchup.
[Jul 23, 2004 8:10:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Damselfly

Inuki wrote: 
A pair of avatars:
Tigris - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8828284/
Yngvild - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/9165153/

A photograph I took several summers ago, off Santa Catalina Island - http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/8912751/

And a wedding present for Annaliese and Grae - http://www.rit.edu/~alr7719/art/annagrae.jpg

I would love critique on the last piece. I haven't actually given it to them yet (neither reads the forum.. I hope), so I still have time to do tweaking and touchup.

I love it!
[Jul 24, 2004 12:25:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yunafied

Ok, I know I posted these in my wedding thread, but I'm almost certain Artemis will sink it to Davy Jones pretty soon (hey, it happened once before the actual wedding!), so here are the beautiful pictures Eidrog and Cajtrixie made for Ajani and I.

Eidrog

and Cajtrixie

Edited several times because I am an absolute idiot when it comes to image hosting.
Out of the trap.
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Yunafied at Jul 25, 2004 2:18:31 PM]
[Jul 25, 2004 2:18:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thusnelda

My gracious, look at the size of those... clouds!
Madam, proud Looterata
Why are old people playing on this game i dont know its probly something to do with control but its kind of werd. Get a life or a girl friend or mabe even a wife but if your an adult that plays this game your a loser
[Jul 25, 2004 8:57:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

This guy kept bugging me to let him gun.

[Jul 31, 2004 7:56:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Fehu

I probably suck for not saying this earlier...

... but aliensamurai - I totally love your work.

I love the dark, shady, colors.. with accents of light squiggly lines. It's like ambient sparkle in drudgery of polluted alleyways.

It's captivating work that you can look at and imagine all sorts of stories around.

... almost like the haze of memory. Few sharp, purposeful, lines of color articulate the picture then bleed off into the next storyboard.

Good job, man,
~F
Captainette of Seeing Dread
<< Indie >>
Owner of the Sloop Polite Barbel
[Aug 3, 2004 5:15:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nikolai

Just a full-size of my avatar.

Too many people are offended by my anti-dumb-idea mentality. Gee, I wonder how it could offend them. Maybe they have dumb ideas? And if that is the case, why do they spin their problem back at me?
[Aug 6, 2004 6:42:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Fehu: Wow, thank you. I probably dont deserve that. *o_o*

Something a bit less serious:

[Aug 16, 2004 11:54:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
PeterP4n

Wow nice scetch-style! Its very stylish.
I like the roughness of the picture.How did ye made that picture?

Peter pan
PeterPan
[Aug 17, 2004 3:25:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Mofeta what do you use to sketch? Photoshop?
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Aug 17, 2004 4:09:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

For the last one, the lines were done in artrage and the colors in photoshop. For most of the other stuff I use photoshop 6.
[Aug 17, 2004 4:59:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Frostburnx

I had this in the in the old Fan art forum a while ago but the forums have changed so much I dont htink that page exists anymore. This picture needs to be fixed up its very granulated and was done in only simple paint, but I didnt feel like fixing it hehe. This is Esmerelda (my pirate)

Liliene on Cerulean
[Aug 19, 2004 6:02:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.facebook.com/taradavis [Link]  Go to top 
StinkyMagoo

Well Nemo, I said I'd post the color of this picture if I ever got the free time to color it. Better late than never....

Fitzchivalry
[Aug 19, 2004 8:07:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Hey! There you go!

And, I know this isn't a critique thread as such, but I can't help but want to nudge this into the super-great realm:

The moon in the exact corner absolutely kills the design. That's easy to change.

A bit more involved is the darkness. I'm sad you lost so much of your lovely linework in the shadows, and also just think the piece would be stronger with a better balance of lights and darks.

A lovely drawing... you all here are making me want to post another art contest.
[Aug 19, 2004 9:32:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StinkyMagoo

Yar matey, thanks for the C&C.

As for the moon, well the whole background is maybe 10 minutes work tops, but I agree the moon in the corner is distracting. Now that you pointed it out, it rather reminds me of when kids put the quarter circle sun in the corner of a picture with the rays coming out. Heh.

As for the darkness, well I'll be honest it's my first attempt at a night scene. I've basically been teaching myself how to paint for last last couple months in my free time. So any tips you could share for fixing the lighting problems you see, lay 'em on me. Or better yet do an overpaint :)

Basically, go into a little more detail if you could, do you mean that the lights and darks are too extreme? Value changes too steep (such as on the bird)? Is the lighting off in some areas?

I hope this doesn't come off as me taking the criticism badly, it's just that since I am teaching myself how to paint/color, I want to understand exactly what you're telling me so that I can correct it and notice it in the future. Believe me, I appreciate any advice.

Fitz
[Aug 19, 2004 11:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

StinkyMagoo wrote: 
So any tips you could share for fixing the lighting problems you see, lay 'em on me.

I'm sure others (like aliensamurai) could help here also.

Overall, I think you use a bit too much black for "black." The shadows in the creases of his face, for example, shouldn't be nearly so dark. It cheapens the black of his hair, and in his mouth.
You're starting to use a secondary light for volume. That's good. But you're not quite "getting" it. Your shadows are all done with only one light source, and then you've done the blues of the secondary over the shadows in many cases. Take the dark side of his nose, the center of his forehead, his noses's shadow and most of his neck and chest. All of these things should be feeling that secondary light pretty solidly.

That should certainly be good to get you started.

SintkyMagoo wrote: 
Now that you pointed it out, it rather reminds me of when kids put the quarter circle sun in the corner of a picture with the rays coming out. Heh.

I wasn't going to say it. But I thought it.

I apologize to anyone else who would have appreciated this sort of commentary. I've just been in the mood lately, and since he mentioned me specifically, I bit. For others who'd like to share, I'll be happy to talk. I'm debating whether to post my own side projects here, since most of them aren't piratey.
[Aug 19, 2004 2:40:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

I'd love to see a general art critique thread, piratey or not. But maybe that's just because I go on critiquing sprees... or maybe because I find it very hard to actually get people to tell me what needs to be fixed with my work. (I get a lot of "oh, that's cool!" comments and very few "you know, this doesn't look quite right..." or otherwise useful ones.) Maybe a non-piratey art thread?

I don't know whether or not this'll be useful, but I never use straight black for anything. (Except linework, if I'm using defined outlines.) Shadows are always a blue-gray, set on multiply mode (in Photoshop, on their own layer) - I find it usually looks better. The shadows have more depth, and usually look a lot more realistic than a black shadow. Depending on the lighting source, I might use another color - shadows are usually the opposite color of the lighting source. (So a green lightsource would have deep reddish shadows, and bright yellow light would have purple shadows.) It's a rule of thumb, bent and broken all the time when it looks better, but it is often useful.

For nighttime - purple and blue. Lots of it. Moonlight (and starlight) washes out nearly all colors, because of the way the eye detects light. (Cones, the color-sensitive cells, aren't nearly as sensitive as rods, which react to light but not color. Even bright moonlight reflecting on snow triggers very few cones.) Our brains are smart enough to figure out what some colors should be, and so we think we can see colors - but even then, they're muted. So that bright red on the parrot really feels out of place. If the moon and stars are the dominant light source, why is he so bright? The value is fine - a nice bright highlight works there - but the color should probably be taken down a bit.

Also - what, exactly, is providing your secondary lightsource? Is it reflection of moon/starlight off the water? Is it a lantern? Something else? The source will affect the color, strength, and direction - reflections off water will be very low and similar in color to the primary source (in this case, fairly blue), while a lantern will be near his eye level and rather orange-yellow. Distance also plays a big part. As the light moves further and further away from the object it's lighting, the highlight becomes much softer and more diffuse, blending more smoothly with the shadows. A very close light means fairly sharp lines between light and dark, and defined shadows. In this case, with the moonlight as your primary, I almost want to see a lantern secondary - bringing in some warm tones will not only help bring depth to the figure, it also gives you an excuse for including more color. (Distant lantern = usually enough light to see some faded colors.)

...I talk a lot. I'm sorry. If anything here doesn't make sense, please ask! I tend to get a little incoherant sometimes.

Out of curiousity, would anyone be interested in a coloring tutorial? I use Photoshop, but I could see it being easily adapted to just about any program that supports layers. And a tablet isn't really necessary - I do half my coloring work with the mouse anyway, and what I do use the tablet for is easily worked around. I kinda don't want to start it unless I know someone would use it, though... no point in interrupting my art-trance if it's not going to help someone else.

...I'll stop now. Really.
[Aug 19, 2004 3:31:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 851   Pages: 29   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates