• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 116
Posts: 116   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 20538 times and has 115 replies Next Thread
buzzjunkie

[Sage] Bumper Sloops! a la King of the Hill! Done and Done!

Bumper Sloops!
King of the hill/Capture the flag

We had great attendance for the event, and although I couldn't make it Scarymuffin saved my behind!

1st place went to Killercat
2nd place went to Sammylee
3rd place went to Crusifer

Look out for more events by National Igloo, QT, in the very near future!

Introduction
As the first and foremost Sage Events Crew, National Igloo is kicking off with
a blockade event!
A combination of King of the Hill, Capture the flag, and Bumper Cars! All rolled into one!
How ye ask? Just read on...

Overview
The event will take place on a blockade board.
All entrants are to Solo Sloops.
The aim is to of course capture the flag.
Only one flag will be choosen, and ye must sail yer sloop onto it to gain points.
Each turn that ye are on top of the flag ye will reseave one point.
But here's the tricky part! There is to be no shooting! One Ramming or Bumpping rather...
The event will last one round of the blockade and will end ether when the first round ends,
or there is only one sloop left!

Break Down
Competitors must have their sloops ported at Cromwell Island prior to the event,
20 minutes before the blockade starts we will job all competitors onto a War Brig for breifing and to clarify the rules.
Then all competitors will go to their ships and sail into the blockade board, everyone must stay in the safe zone until instructed otherwise.
We will then /vwho all ships to make sure ye only have one person on board,
When the time comes we will send out one war brig to tell everyone which flag it will be.
When the War Brig comes to rest on the flag, ye will know which one is the Flag to Capture.
An Offical will the annouce over /jcrew that the event has begun! And the mayhem will begin!

Rules
- There is to be no shooting what-so ever! There will be 3 war brigs on the map to take out trouble makers!
- Once ye are sunk ye are out! Although ye are sunk ye may still win through points
This isn't last man standing and there are no bonus points for surviving the longest!
- No one is to exit the safe zone until they have been told so!
- Solos only, ye may have up to 3 bots
- If ye exit the blockade for any reason ye will no be aloud back in
- Stock yer sloops how ever ye wish
- We will not be providing sloops, but the blockade will be Non-Sinking so there is no worry in taking a yer crews sloops

When and Where

Saturday 29th of April, 12 Noon Saturday Pirate Time. Cromwell Island.

Prizes

1st Sloop "Bumper King" Coloured in true Bumper Sloop Fashion
2nd The Flag ye all ran over, Flag Tapestry Furniture Item, White and Red.
3rd Broken Nav Wheel

Expected Player Assistance: The event crew, National Igloo will be doing the point counting and refereeing
Possible Foreseen Problems: Troublemakers coming in and shooting. But seeing how it is solo sloops only, they should be wiped out easily by the WB referees
Similar Events: I am unaware of similar events
Results of Event Testing: A few PvPs showed that ramming itself wouldn't do much. But when many people are ramming you, one would have a harder time. As well, the ability to push sloops while driving sloops isn't very effective, but again, this only would make the king of the hill more of a target.
Other Events Run: The National Igloo crew ran the Fruit Market Monopoly Madness event (pvp galore) on Sage a few weeks back and it was very successful. Both Scarymuffin and Buzzjunkie have worked on a few crew only and flag only events.

Heaps more prizes to come, We would really like to see at least 15 entrants in the next week so that we can really make these prizes something special!
If ye are interested in helping out or donation please pm me on the forums!
----------------------------------------
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Edit 8 times, last edit by buzzjunkie at Apr 29, 2006 4:03:17 PM]
[Mar 29, 2006 3:02:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JD6627

Re: [Sage] Bumper Sloops! a la King of the Hill!

Sounds like great fun, especially since it is not terribly time consuming for the participant. Too bad I don't have a sloop on sage.
Kovy.
...stunned.
[Mar 29, 2006 6:03:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

i like it - but i don't like the time - 3 AM in the morning 4 me
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
Reborn 3/5/08 and in the process of rebuilding my pirate
[Mar 29, 2006 7:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

but i don't like the time - 3 AM in the morning 4 me

If we get enough people not liking the time, we will change it to suit yer needs!

Too bad I don't have a sloop on sage.

It is Non-Sinking, I'm sure ye can find someone willing to rent ye one for a small charge.
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Mar 29, 2006 11:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
danieln7

You said it's non-sinking, but you also said "once yer sunk yer out." So is it sinking or non-sinking?
Sidewinder
FO Of Orestes
[Mar 30, 2006 2:54:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AtheneNoctua

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Blockade#Sinking_vs._Non-Sinking

In a non-sinking blockade, to say that a ship is "sunk" doesn't mean it's gone forever; it just means that the ship is eliminated from further participation in the blockade.

This event is a non-sinking blockade.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by AtheneNoctua at Mar 30, 2006 3:22:53 AM]
[Mar 30, 2006 3:22:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

Since I'm stupid with timezones and everything, tell me: is it midnight or noon?
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Mar 30, 2006 5:22:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ihope127

Midnight. (Edit: No, not Midnight. Sage.)

I'm three hours away, so it's either 3AM or 9PM here :-/
No soy un número. ¡Soy un hombre gratis!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ihope127 at Mar 30, 2006 5:46:34 AM]
[Mar 30, 2006 5:46:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

Since I'm stupid with timezones and everything, tell me: is it midnight or noon?

Aye, Think about it as the exact middle of the weekend, makes more sense to me that way...
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Mar 31, 2006 2:16:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fafdsfr13

fer me, its 2 in the morning, could ye change the time to noon pirate standard time
You have the right to remain silent, anything ye say will be misquoted and used against ye in the court of law

----------

[Edit 100,000 times, last edit by fafdsfr13 at Apr 10, 2006 8:40:27 PM]
[Mar 31, 2006 2:20:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

Arg, why can't everyone in the world be at the same time? And the sun can turn on and off at will?

I will consult my clock and figure out when I can be on to run the competition that suits...
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Mar 31, 2006 2:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Lol, either way you'll be screwing over either the Euros, Pacific Rimmers or East Coasters.

Pick the group you least like and then pick a time that works well for the remaining two groups. There is no real way around it.
Scarymuffin of the Sage Ocean

Apollo wrote: 
Duh. Sorry, Scarymuffin ate my brain.

[Mar 31, 2006 2:30:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

This event has been canceled until further notice, it has a massive bug in it!

Apparently if 2 ships have the same weight (number of pirates on board and same type) then it goes by which sloop is newer to determine which can ram the other and move it...

So if someone gets a brand new sloop they have a massive advantage to those with older ones...

Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Mar 31, 2006 3:33:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maquereau

Why is that a problem? Both still get ram damage and it is just an extra variable that battle navigators have to take into account when dealing with collision scenarios.

On scheduling, just pick a time appropriate for yourself as you are the organiser and disregard all the pleas and whining in here. After all, it's your show. One cannot seriously another to turn up at 3 am in the morning just to entertain them.
[Mar 31, 2006 5:15:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Marine_Boy13

Why is that a problem? Both still get ram damage and it is just an extra variable that battle navigators have to take into account when dealing with collision scenarios.

On scheduling, just pick a time appropriate for yourself as you are the organiser and disregard all the pleas and whining in here. After all, it's your show. One cannot seriously another to turn up at 3 am in the morning just to entertain them.

Well, since the goal is to get the most points, a newer sloop can bump into an older one, which would cause it to move off the flag. When the old one game back to bump, the new one would just sit there.
Masta on Cobalt
SO of Highland Cavelry
[Mar 31, 2006 6:05:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maquereau

Simple solution. Allow shooting.

Or everyone can gang up on that new sloop and ram it to death.
[Mar 31, 2006 6:18:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
FitzChivalry

Interested

-Will wait for further details
~RudeGesture on the Hunter Ocean~

[Mar 31, 2006 6:51:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

I don't want to bring in shooting or it will become a rather big mess...

Anyone else got any bright Ideas?
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Mar 31, 2006 7:06:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

1) Get a shipyard stall/shoppe
2) Sell sloops in it
3) Profit ;P

--

Seriously, though, everyone is bound to teamup on the sloop in the spot - it shouldn't be too long before it sinks.
[Mar 31, 2006 7:47:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Smthecool

Buy n sloops, where n is the number of participants.

Make an alt crew with forementioned sloops in it. Make participant alts officers.
Smthecool
Owner of the "Vortex Rikers" War Brig

[Mar 31, 2006 7:55:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

I doubt it was tested, but what if both the sloops were made at the exact same time?

Also, your suggestion wouldn't be good. There'd still be some time delay between sloops (even if it doesn't take into account time, that'd mean a LOT of sloops would have to be made in the same day; quite a task, I'm sure!)

I guess the solution would be to ask OMs to provide ships for this. Then they'd all have the same "date". That doesn't solve that we don't know what happens if the dates are the same, though. But it's an idea.
[Mar 31, 2006 9:50:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

The idea about newer/older sloops is still a premise. Simply one that hasn't be disproven yet.

I agree, if someone is trying to sit on a flag, they will get rammed to death pretty fast. In fact, they won't last more than 4/5 turns since they're soloing the sloop. I don't think that this will make a difference in the game, no one knows who has the newer sloop and still has to play with some strategy and caution.

Apollo wrote: 

[Mar 31, 2006 10:29:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

Tis event is back up and running! I have figured the bugs out and will be hosting it on the same day, time is still up to all of ye!
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Apr 3, 2006 8:14:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

Re: [Sage] Bumper Sloops! a la King of the Hill! It's back on!

New Prizes!

We are now giving away more prizes!
Check the original post for details!
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Apr 4, 2006 12:02:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ScaryMuffin

Lol...I think she booched it a bit :p Here is the revamped OP

National Igloo in conjunction with Quixotic Tanget present:
Bumper Sloops!

King of the hill/Capture the flag

Introduction
As the first and foremost Sage Events Crew, National Igloo is kicking off with
a blockade event!
A combination of King of the Hill, Capture the flag, and Bumper Cars! All rolled into one!
How ye ask? Just read on...

Overview
The event will take place on a blockade board.
All entrants are to Solo Sloops.
The aim is to of course capture the flag.
One flag will be selected by the referees, and ye must sail yer sloop onto it to gain points.
Ending a turn on top of the flag will get ye one point.
But here's the tricky part! There is to be no shooting! Only Ramming or Bumping rather...
The event will last one round of the blockade and will end either when the first round ends,
or there is only one sloop left!

Break Down
Pre-register on the forums. Deadline for registration is the day before the event.
Once the blockade on Cromwell starts, enter your sloop into the safe zone and stay there.
Once our judges have finish /vwhoing everyone's sloops to ensure solo-ness, the referee WB will sail onto the board and sit on a flag for a few turns. This flag will be the one that represents the King of the Hill.
Once the WB sits on the flag, the game begins! Points are registered only if you end the turn on the King flag.
Remember, ramming only! You may team up on people, but shooters will be "taken care of" by our refereeing WB.
The game is over at the end of the round and the points tabulated will determine the winner.
In an event of a tie, those with tied scores will go onto the second round for a tiebreaker.

Other Rules
- Once ye are sunk ye are out! Although ye are sunk ye may still win through points
This isn't last man standing and there are no bonus points for surviving the longest!
- No one is to exit the safe zone until they have been told so!
- Solos only, ye may have up to 3 bots
- If ye exit the blockade for any reason ye will no be aloud back in
- Stock yer sloops how ever ye wish
- We will not be providing sloops, but the blockade will be Non-Sinking so there is no worry in taking a yer crews sloops

When and Where
Saturday 29th of April, 11am Pirate Standard Time. Cromwell Island.

Prizes

1st Sloop "Bumpy Kingfish" Coloured in true Bumper Sloop Fashion and a ribbon trinket
2nd The Flag ye all ran over, Flag Tapestry Furniture Item, White and Red and a ribbon trinket
3rd Broken Nav Wheel and a ribbon trinket

Apollo wrote: 

[Edit 1 times, last edit by ScaryMuffin at Apr 4, 2006 1:27:32 AM]
[Apr 4, 2006 1:26:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
UnluckyJack

I'm there.
Walker

Swords are like really big keys, but instead of unlocking doors they unlock death.

Thank you Tilinka for the Tilinkatar
[Apr 4, 2006 2:38:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lanky_rich

Add me to the list
The times good for me :)

Gurbarg
[Apr 4, 2006 10:17:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DarkLeon

well I can sink brigs with my sloop does that count when all the refs gone it a free for all lol j/k i will join if i can get a sloop to cromewell
It's not about the skill but about the want of working hard.
DarkLeon of Sage

Former First Mate of Yellow Turbans
[Apr 4, 2006 4:26:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
buzzjunkie

Great to see more people getting into it!

To those that course trouble:
We will declare war on yer flag and we will sink yer flag till the end of yer days!
That is all.... he he
Buzzjunkie [Retired]
----
[Apr 5, 2006 12:03:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tucansam21

Count me in....as long as i can some how get my sloop from greenwich to cromwell lol!
[Apr 5, 2006 10:39:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 116   Pages: 4   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates