• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 186
Posts: 186   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 36451 times and has 185 replies Next Thread
Piplicus_BNO

Booty or No Booty | Win a familiar! | Midnight 5: 19th August, 5pm PDT

Side note: Details may be subject to change.

To celebrate week 20 of BoNB, something will happen! I don't know what yet, but we'll see. We'll also be running it at the stroke of Midnight! Midnight GMT.

Avast!

After the hugely successful pilot run of DoND on Ice, Artemis has been kind enough to let me run a series!

What: Booty or No Booty (- Deal or No Deal)
When: Midnight's fifth run scheduled for 19th August, at 5pm PDT [18m EDT, 1am BST]
For who: Everyone on the oceans with some PoE, skill and luck!

There's some notable changes this time:
  • It's going to be happening on Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian AND Sage
  • Prizes have been increased
  • The top prize is now a familiar!
  • Logistics of the event

How To Take Part

It will take place on the Islay of Luthien, in Ajax's Estate. The host will be Nobooty. Please whisk to Luthien and enter through the front door. Please don't ask for an invite.

Make sure you get there early. Nobooty will be allowing people to enter up to an hour beforehand.

What you need if you want to participate:
  • Patience
  • A golden ticket (optional)
  • Money on hand
  • Manners

Reminder: ANYONE
is free, welcome, and encouraged to spectate. You are under no obligation to make offers or contribute to the game, provided that you are well-behaved.

There will be a golden ticket handed out during the event, and more spectator surprise prizes.

How to play the game:

Contestant: Sell your box for as much money as possible, or carry on and win a big prize.
Spectators: Buy the contestant's box for as small an amount possible. Beware, the contestant isn't cheap!

Those who have a golden ticket will be invited to play the selection game to determine who will be the first contestant in the hot seat.

Only two people will 'win' the ticket lottery. One gets to sit in the hot seat, the other gets a refund. After the lottery, all players, including ticket surrenderers, are treated as equal.

Once in the hot seat, the contestant will choose their box.

The only prize given out is that in the chosen box. One prize, one contestant at a time, one round only. If someone chooses the tan bandana (unwittingly), the only prize given out will be the tan bandana at the end. If the familiar box is picked as the contestant's box, then a familiar will be given out, provided that they don't swap their box at the end.

Once the contestant has chosen their box, they will then start to open other boxes. They are aiming to hit boxes of low value. Once a certain value has been discovered in the box, the value is stricken from the board, and that prize will not be won. One can then deduce that that prize is not in the chosen box, and so the other prizes are now slightly more likely to be in that box.

The main aim is to make it seem like the familiar, or any other high-value prize, is very likely to be in the chosen box, as that will mean that people will be willing to pay a lot of PoE to buy in. It could contain something of little value, so cashing out at first seems quite wise! However, it could also hold the familiar, so by selling prematurely, the player could either be making a great deal, or missing out on a pet!

At regular intervals, you, the audience, will be invited to send a /tell to Nobooty declaring how much you wish to pay for that box. Please do not make these bids up. Anyone found falsely bidding WILL be planked and refused entry in future runs. The highest offer will then be announced, and people then have a second chance to bid. The highest offer during the second bidding will then be offered to the player. The successful bidder will be expected to hand their PoE bid over to the host.

NB: From week 12 (Sage 3) and onwards, in order to cut down on fake bidders, the following protocol will apply:
In the second bidding session of each round, any offers that are over the sum of 100,000 PoE MUST be sent by /pay. Offers under the sum of 100k may still be sent as /tells. If the bid is not high enough, it will of course be returned. This will inevitably prolong the game slightly, but will cut down on the number of fake bidders, who are hell-bent on trying to disrupt the game. Disrupt this.

Should the contestant say No Booty!, the bid is returned to the bidder, and play continues as normal. If the contestant says Booty!, then the contestant receives the PoE bid, and the successful bidder now has control over the box. They then continue to open boxes.
This process happens six times overall, resulting in 17, 14, 11, 8, 5 and 2 (inclusive of the chosen box) left at the offers.
Whoever has control of the box after the sixth and final offer may be offered a swap with the other box. They may not, however. They then win the prize in the box.

Schedule:
Oceanwide broadcast, linking to this thread.
Game starts. Those with golden tickets can exchange them for a chance to get into the hot seat.
*Main game -
Box chosen
5 boxes eliminated
Offers from the spectators [x2]
The Question
{{3 boxes eliminated
Offers [x2]
The Question}} repeated 5 times
Switcheroo
Awarding of the prize

FAQ section
Q: What's a golden ticket?
A: A golden ticket is a gold/gold ribbon. They are awarded in special events before the day, and can be traded in for a chance at the hot seat.

Q: Do I need a golden ticket to participate?
A: No. If you do not have a golden ticket, you can join in the game at the time of the offers.

Q: Can I buy golden tickets?
A: No

Q: I don't get how this works.
A: That's not a question. But I'll help you, anyway. Have you ever seen Deal or No Deal? It's like that. When a box is opened, that prize will no longer be availible to be won.

Q: What's the Switcheroo?
A: The Swtcheroo consists of two boxes. When offer 6 has passed, the player in control of the box will be required to open one of the two boxes. One has no effect at all. The other allows the player to swap their box if they so wish.

Q: I'm sure I've seen this event before. Have I?
A: Yes you have. Look here.

Q: Okay. I've read everything. How do I enter?
A: Great! You've read everything. Please remember not to spam or misbehave, and you'll be fine. Please go to AJAX'S ESTATE on ISLAY OF LUTHIEN to enter.

Q: What are the prizes?
A: Blue Prizes: Tan bandana, 5 PoE, fish skeleton, 100 PoE, short hemp stack, 400 PoE, rum barrel furniture, yellow/yellow stiletto, 2,500 PoE, fancy wardrobe, 7,500 PoE
Red Prizes: Skull furniture, flower trinket (no black or gold), any sword/mug/bludgeon, 70,000 PoE, throne (no gold primary), full outfit, 200,000 PoE, pig/turtle, rare artefact, 500,000 PoE, familiar.
----------------------------------------

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Edit 17 times, last edit by Piplicus_BNO at Aug 14, 2006 4:03:38 PM]
[Mar 28, 2006 1:24:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Re: [All oceans!]Coming Soon: Deal or No Deal | Win a familiar! | Fridays or Satudays

Woot go Pip! Very nice. Woulda been there this last weekend but I was, uh, occupied elsewhere. :-)
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Mar 28, 2006 1:29:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SeanaMO

Re: [All oceans!]Coming Soon: Deal or No Deal | Win a familiar! | Fridays or Satudays

*goes off to hunt golden tickets*

This will be so much fun! Thanks Pip and OM's!
Ceylon
SO of The Forsaken
Sultan's Sword - Midnight Ocean
[Mar 28, 2006 1:39:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

^_^
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 28, 2006 1:42:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
crazee_colin

I cried when I read this ... Tears of joy, tears of joy :')
~ Crazee
[Mar 28, 2006 1:45:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly - if someone in the hot seat refuses to deal, they can just open the rest of the boxes if they want and claim all the prizes? Or is there something I missed where the contestant actually has to take a risk?

I fear I don't watch many game shows, so I've never seen this one. Also, I missed the Ice event. If the rules could be clarified a bit, it would be greatly appreciated so I could figure out what the odds really are to see if I'd like to participate as a "banker."
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Mar 28, 2006 2:15:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
kerix

I'm pretty sure it works like this:

1) Contestant first selects one box, whose contents remain hidden and will eventually be given away to whoever is in the hot seat at the end of the game.

2) All subsequent box openings serve only to give a more informed guess of what is in the prize box and its value.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kerix at Mar 28, 2006 2:30:01 PM]
[Mar 28, 2006 2:29:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Would you like help with the events and handing out of the golden tickets? I would volunteer for helping.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Mar 28, 2006 2:31:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I'm not sure if I understand this correctly - if someone in the hot seat refuses to deal, they can just open the rest of the boxes if they want and claim all the prizes? Or is there something I missed where the contestant actually has to take a risk?

I fear I don't watch many game shows, so I've never seen this one. Also, I missed the Ice event. If the rules could be clarified a bit, it would be greatly appreciated so I could figure out what the odds really are to see if I'd like to participate as a "banker."

In the original test run (http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=33087), the rules were that the player either went away with what was on his sloop, or one of the banker's offer.

Once a prize is 'opened', it's gone. So if the familiar goes in the first box - no familiar today. As a banker, you will be aiming to bid the least amount possible and eventually either sell it yourself or carry on until the end.

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 28, 2006 2:31:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

Okay, so the whole game centers around 1 unopened box, and all the other boxes remain unclaimed, regardless of contents?

Are the contents of the inspected boxes announced to the audience and subsequent contestants?
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Mar 28, 2006 2:40:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
Crotty

Online version which might give a better idea how it works.

http://www.geocities.com/dodgypa/deal.html
[Mar 28, 2006 2:47:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

Thanks, the link to that from the original thread didn't work. Now I can work out odds.
[Mar 28, 2006 2:54:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
angel00

*cheers*
*votes for it to be on saturdays*

Will those who were there on the saturday ice edititon be given a step up in the contestant list as was said?
~Angellic of Cobalt~
[Edit 1 times, last edit by angel00 at Mar 28, 2006 2:58:23 PM]
[Mar 28, 2006 2:57:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JD6627

Nice to see this expanding. Still a bit jealous my version wasn't even shortlisted for the E2 :P. I wish ye the best of luck with these, come here you golden tickets! rawr!
Kovy.
...stunned.
[Mar 28, 2006 3:17:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

I'm a bit confused about the hotseat selection process...

From my understanding, everyone with a golden ticket /tells you to bid however much they will pay to sit in the hotseat. Highest bidder gets to sit in the hot seat. This process is repeated every time the person in the hot seat selects deal, and the money goes to the person who selected deal.
how is the first person in the hotseat selected?
Is it guaranteed that someone will win a familiar, or will this process only be repeated once? (only one box opened)
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[Mar 28, 2006 3:37:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Xceptopec

I'm a tad dubious about bidding to get the hot seat, it will pretty much mean only the uber-rich will be able to get a crack at it, since they can out bid everyone else. Ditch the bidding idea and randomly draw the hot seat player, give everyone a fair chance.
Captain Callam

Commander, The Children Of Odin
Prince - Forseti's Justice

Also - (The original) Cutter - (Azure) Ice, Midnight, Cobalt, Sage, Hunter.
[Mar 28, 2006 3:59:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
B_licker

The way I understand it, those with a golden ticket don't have to bid, they simply enter a drawing to be the first in the hot seat. And the golden tickets will be won, not sold. The only bidding is to replace the person currently in the hot seat, in which case the bidder has to decide if it's worth it to bid for a box that could be worth next to nothing.
[Mar 28, 2006 4:11:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I think it comes down to financing... Pip is probably putting up at least a few of the prizes out of his own pocket, and if that's the case, he might have trouble affording to run several "episodes" every week. If he only has to run one, with "new contestants" joining the game by hopping into the hotseat where the old one left off instead of having a crack at a whole new board, his life becomes easier. (Plus it can't be fun putting those 22 prizes into boxes... if he had to have three or four complete game sets ready to play with, that's 88 boxes. Do you have that kind of patience?)

I could be probably am wrong, though.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 28, 2006 4:27:17 PM]
[Mar 28, 2006 4:26:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Irelay

/em faints.
Irelay l Otherwhen l Water Sleeps
Mightnight Ocean pirate since August '04
[Mar 28, 2006 4:29:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Since we all know how much I suxor at carousing games, I sure hope there are plenty of chances to win a golden ticket outside of the game panel itself.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 28, 2006 5:44:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

The golden tickets will only be winnable at events leading up to each DoND event (we need a more piratey title!) Tickets will not be able to be traded or bought, if you win one, only you may enter with it. At each game, those who wish to enter will be entered in a random drawing and only one of the golden ticket holders will win the seat.

Everyone else watching will have the option of offering to buy the seat from the contestant, who can either barter a trade, or take his/her chances.
[Mar 28, 2006 7:26:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Okay, so the whole game centers around 1 unopened box, and all the other boxes remain unclaimed, regardless of contents?

Are the contents of the inspected boxes announced to the audience and subsequent contestants?

The prizes in the first twenty boxes opened will not be won. Ocassionally, but not always, people will get a chance to swap the boxes after offer 6.

Yes, contents of opened/inspected prizes will be announced.

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 28, 2006 9:32:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

*cheers*
*votes for it to be on saturdays*

Will those who were there on the saturday ice edititon be given a step up in the contestant list as was said?

This is something that has been changed, and I'm sorry about that. It was my intention, until the 'golden ticket' system was thought up.

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 28, 2006 9:33:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

I'm a bit confused about the hotseat selection process...

From my understanding, everyone with a golden ticket /tells you to bid however much they will pay to sit in the hotseat.

The golden tickets are useful only in becoming the first person in the hotseat. After that, all spectators are considered equal.

Highest bidder gets to sit in the hot seat.

highest bidder at each banker interlude has their offer broadcast.

This process is repeated every time the person in the hot seat selects deal, and the money goes to the person who selected deal.

Is it guaranteed that someone will win a familiar, or will this process only be repeated once? (only one box opened)

Someone will win a familiar, provided that the original box selected is a familiar, or they swap for it in the final two.

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 28, 2006 9:37:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Would you like help with the events and handing out of the golden tickets? I would volunteer for helping.

Event suggestions would be welcome.

I'm a tad dubious about bidding to get the hot seat, it will pretty much mean only the uber-rich will be able to get a crack at it, since they can out bid everyone else. Ditch the bidding idea and randomly draw the hot seat player, give everyone a fair chance.

If the uber-rich want to pay a million PoE for a box that contain an old bandana, let them. If the hotseat contestant says no deal each time, then the uber-rich don't get a sniff in.

B_licker has it:

The way I understand it, those with a golden ticket don't have to bid, they simply enter a drawing to be the first in the hot seat. And the golden tickets will be won, not sold. The only bidding is to replace the person currently in the hot seat, in which case the bidder has to decide if it's worth it to bid for a box that could be worth next to nothing.

Unsuccessful golden ticket holders may still bid during the banker interludes.

I think it comes down to financing... Pip is probably putting up at least a few of the prizes out of his own pocket, and if that's the case, he might have trouble affording to run several "episodes" every week. If he only has to run one, with "new contestants" joining the game by hopping into the hotseat where the old one left off instead of having a crack at a whole new board, his life becomes easier. (Plus it can't be fun putting those 22 prizes into boxes... if he had to have three or four complete game sets ready to play with, that's 88 boxes. Do you have that kind of patience?)

I could be probably am wrong, though.

Prizes will be OM-magicked. Only one box each game will be won.

Creating a demonstration board cost about 150K on Ice, or 3/5ths of Sloop V's contents ;-P

Like a bad penny.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Piplicus_BNO at Mar 28, 2006 9:44:06 PM]
[Mar 28, 2006 9:43:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
HolyApoc

Wow, this sounds like an amazingly fun event.

Hope to see you on Sage :)
Valandir on Sage
Senior Officer of The Lost Lot
Formerly coated with Chaotic Candy Goodness
Now just a griefer.
[Mar 28, 2006 10:37:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hydranoisp

Would those that have won a gold ribbon with their name inscribed on it keep it after the cotest is over?
I am large sour fire to make.

Lotsofgoats tells you, "Big metallic 10 year old boys turn me on."
[Edit 2 times, last edit by hydranoisp at Mar 29, 2006 1:47:13 AM]
[Mar 29, 2006 1:45:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Will the bidding be in PoE only or will you take items of value? Artemis says we need a more piratey name, How bout 'Booty or No Booty'? 'Treasure or No Treasure? 'Aye treasure, nay treasure'? 'Barter or Gamble'? 'Trade or No Trade'?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 29, 2006 6:00:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
VPeric

Sounds great! Some questions:

1) You can't even watch unless you have a ticket?

2) Just to clarify, when you're bidding to get someone's spot, it's blind bidding? (ie. I don't get a "someone has been x, which is harder than your y. Do you want to raise your bid"? or something of the sort).
Wlada, Former King of Bloody Hell and former Captain of Sudden Death, Cobalt.
Vlada, Officer of the Rudder Royals, Azure.
[Mar 29, 2006 7:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Will the bidding be in PoE only or will you take items of value? Artemis says we need a more piratey name, How bout 'Booty or No Booty'? 'Treasure or No Treasure? 'Aye treasure, nay treasure'? 'Barter or Gamble'? 'Trade or No Trade'?

Booty or No Booty - I like!

Arte did suggest items of value as a possible trading method. I think it's best to stick to PoE at the moment, although I'll think about it.

Like a bad penny.
[Mar 29, 2006 8:00:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 186   Pages: 7   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates