• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10718 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
Moradeth

Re: [Midnight] All Duty Puzzle Bake-off - Win an Octopus!

Sounds like a blast, now I just hope I dont die in Bilge... I have a bad feeling about that one...
[Mar 29, 2006 12:22:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moo10

Last 3 big events 6 PM PST heck that even making it late for the East Coast US.

9:00 PM is late?
----------------------------------------
RETIRED

Octupa of the Midnight and Sage Ocean
Littledog of the Cobalt and Viridian Ocean
[Mar 29, 2006 3:38:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Octupa [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

For a three-to-four hour event like this bakeoff, it's not "9:00 PM", it's "9:00 PM to more or less 2 AM, inclusive and no breaks."
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 29, 2006 4:39:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gator_girl

I understand this all completly but would i be hated for asking who might be the judges ?
Four years an' pillyin'!
[Mar 30, 2006 8:10:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I understand this all completly but would i be hated for asking who might be the judges ?
Bakeoffs don't have judges.

Bia/Minthe/whatever name she wears at the event and her helpers will track the event and take screenshots of scores, but bakeoffs are automatic.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 30, 2006 8:27:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Talisker

For a three-to-four hour event like this bakeoff, it's not "9:00 PM", it's "9:00 PM to more or less 2 AM, inclusive and no breaks."

Well, for 2 people. The majority it's 9-11 or something. Still not really late.
Leif
The Forums
Gunnermooch wrote: 
I can't respond because I do not understand what the hell you are talking about. Sorry.

Av by Ecastasy
[Mar 31, 2006 1:02:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Well, for 2 people. The majority it's 9-11 or something. Still not really late.
Other than the crazy and/or already-have-familiars-up-the-wazoo people, who shows up to bakeoffs not intending to be one of those two people?

You have to have a clear schedule right to the end, or you'll be kicking yourself forever and a day when you lose the familiar because it's bedtime.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 31, 2006 1:26:22 PM]
[Mar 31, 2006 1:25:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fafdsfr13

why not make it 11:00 AM PDT on the 15th
it will cause fewer disputes, where as 6 PM on the 14th makes it so only the west coast can play
You have the right to remain silent, anything ye say will be misquoted and used against ye in the court of law

----------

[Edit 100,000 times, last edit by fafdsfr13 at Apr 10, 2006 8:40:27 PM]
[Apr 5, 2006 11:19:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

it will cause fewer disputes, where as 6 PM on the 14th makes it so only the west coast can play

Because I am asleep then.
[Apr 6, 2006 12:02:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
thespian

Because I am asleep then.

Do not interfere with the fish-giver's sleep.

Besides (to the questioner) it would conflict with the Shipwright bake-off at 1pm. You want something to do on saturday, start brushing up your shipwrightery and do that :-)

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=34157

Thes.

Thespian says, "you have a doll, you selfish meanie. I just have a vulva."
Peeteegee says, "Hey, I picked out the colours for your vulva."
Nemesis says, "I'm...leaving now."

[Apr 6, 2006 12:19:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
EvilSamy

meh.. carp would kill me.. GL everyone!
[Apr 6, 2006 5:39:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

Or those of us on the East Coast who are actually old enough to stay up past 9 PM. >8)
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Apr 6, 2006 6:21:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Karacan

Other than the crazy and/or already-have-familiars-up-the-wazoo people, who shows up to bakeoffs not intending to be one of those two people?

I will! I just hope the other gunners suck as much as I do should I get that far...
- Ratnose, prettiest drunk of the Midnight Ocean

Master of the Pie

Springheel tells you, "*bite* im a rainbow!"

[Apr 7, 2006 3:15:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
piraterandom

Hi

I'm confused. I live in London does that mean it will 9pm for me?

I'm only 14, my parents would never let me stay up until 11pm playing on a computer game! Not all people on PP are adults you know!

Rochelly
Rochelly - Viridian Ocean

Fleet Officer and Midshipman of the crew

------->LOYAL SWORDFISH<-------
[Apr 11, 2006 1:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.freewebs.com/piraterochelly [Link]  Go to top 
manky

I'm afraid this one will start at something like 2am for us. Maybe there'll be another one earlier that you can be in on :)
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Apr 11, 2006 7:34:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
D1Diamond

what time will that be here in the UK????
Diamante
Princess of Latin Fury

.:|Bling Majestic|:.
[Apr 14, 2006 5:05:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/diamante_lg [Link]  Go to top 
mcpirate1978

Just curious - how/when will prizes be awarded? I mean, for those folks that advance past sails but then get knocked out on carp (for example) - do those folks need to hang around until the conclusion of the event to get their prizes?
Fullbeard
[Apr 14, 2006 7:10:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

6:00 PM in San Francisco will be 11:00 AM in Sydney, 9:00 PM in EST, and 2:00 AM in GMT
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Apr 14, 2006 7:10:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Just curious - how/when will prizes be awarded? I mean, for those folks that advance past sails but then get knocked out on carp (for example) - do those folks need to hang around until the conclusion of the event to get their prizes?
As I recall from past experience (if my memory's not completely kablammo this morning), in multiple-round bakeoffs, prizes are distributed as soon as people are knocked out, partially because people have to leave, but also to give people a bit of a break so they can get up, get a drink, pee, lose the puzzle vision, etc. before the next round.

Because of the format, I think there's less of a reason for people to stick around (If the bake-off was JUST Bilge and had multiple rounds, then people would be strongly encouraged to stick it out by virtue of the fact that bilging with a full meter is a different experience than bilging with an empty one, and since everyone should be playing the same game, we need to keep that carp down) but I'm sure Minthe/Bia will tolerate a smallish number of (quiet) observers if they want to stick around after they're done with it.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Apr 14, 2006 7:17:24 AM]
[Apr 14, 2006 7:16:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kargach

As noted earlier, that'll be 2 AM Saturday BST.
Kargach of the Midnight Ocean
Captain of the Champions of Valhalla, and occasionally good at forum contests
[Apr 14, 2006 7:21:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
D1Diamond

As noted earlier, that'll be 2 AM Saturday BST.

Cheers mate! =)
Diamante
Princess of Latin Fury

.:|Bling Majestic|:.
[Apr 14, 2006 8:04:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/diamante_lg [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Quarter-finalists, in no particular order:

Shuranthae
Sprngweather
Rahkelle
Moradeth
Johncorsair
Hoochiecooch
Verruca
Pjotr
Clementyne
Dredmaroon
Salvia
Oliviathora
Mrtickle
Sailerboylee

Semi-finalists and finalists, from tenth to first:

Drilly
Fannon
Nemor
Darkjustice
Sink
Arrvid
Fullbeard
Themachine
Valeyard - who chose a lodestone compass
Springheel - winner of a brand new blue octopus

Congratulations to all the winners, and thank you to everyone who came out and participated. An extra thank-you to my assistants, who handled my occasional disconnections very well.
[Apr 14, 2006 9:07:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rockitboy

Congrats Springheel. Well done.
Rocketboy
Cursed Isles, ridding the ocean of poor BNAV one ship at a time.
[Apr 14, 2006 9:42:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
filterdose

A very very big congratulations to you, Springheel!

Angustwo
The Greasy Albino Pirate of Carpe Noctem
[Apr 15, 2006 7:25:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiM99

hmm... I distinctly remember getting told that some of the people on the winners list hadn't made it in time... as I didnt...

there wasnt any last minute "playing" with the entrants list was there?
Simm
Wyvern's Pride
Broadsiders
Midnight
M11... oh, hang on - no postcode.
Sorry, thought I was in reality for a minute there!
[Apr 15, 2006 7:42:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TarnumTheRed

hmm... I distinctly remember getting told that some of the people on the winners list hadn't made it in time... as I didnt...

I hope not. I logged in 2 minutes after jobbing started and sent a tell and it was full already. What I found humurous was there were some people with a lot of ables in these puzzles there. Not sure why they thought they had a chance, especially when it came to gunning.

But the event sounded awesome, and I hope Bia holds another one in the near future. Maybe there could be a way to have more entrants, but it would involve different ships and then the ships would have to act as their own bracket in some manner, which I know would be a big pain in the booty to oversee.

Congrats to the winners and congrats to Bia on a great event.
Tarnum

Darvid wrote: 
I guess it's just fun to poke the retarded bunny.
Muroni wrote: 
Who isn't sure that leif will let me enter him, but I'm willing to try.

[Edit 2 times, last edit by TarnumTheRed at Apr 15, 2006 8:11:25 AM]
[Apr 15, 2006 8:06:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

But the event sounded awesome, and I hope Bia holds another one in the near future. Maybe there could be a way to have more entrants, but it would involve different ships and then the ships would have to act as their own bracket in some manner, which I know would be a big pain in the booty to oversee.
We actually did that last time for the bilge bakeoff. It worked out all right... kinda squishy, though.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Apr 15, 2006 8:53:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

I don't think it was because they didn't make it in time, seems more like an error in jobbing.

As far as I can tell, a couple of the first people to send /tells were not jobbed (I say first... they'd sent it seconds after half past). Minthe then made a backup list, and if people left before the event started, they (and any late /tellers) would be jobbed on board instead.
One guy left, which meant a stand-in got jobbed. Knowing someone else had asked for a job before I did (they sent their /tell, then reminded me to send mine) and I got jobbed and they didn't, they were next on the list, I got off and they were jobbed aboard.

As much as I would have liked a shot, I didn't feel right staying. They should have been jobbed before at least half the other mates on that ship, and it was only fair they got a chance.
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Apr 15, 2006 9:03:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Three people left before the event started, so three who were waiting were jobbed. If I made any errors in my listing, I apologise to anyone who did not make the event.

If a similar bake-off is done in the future, I shall try to consider how to make the event feasible while allowing more people to participate. The biggest difficulty is balancing the number of available stations.

For consideration:

72 entrant limitation

3 preliminary rounds of Carpentry, top 10 advance in each
1 round of Sailing, top 16 advance
1 round of Bilging, top 5 advance
Gunning bake-off, top 2 advance
Navigation for 3 leagues (on a sloop) using old-style bake-off rules

This would take longer, because the of the extra preliminary round, the Navigation finals, and the extra gunners. The first could be mitigated by having the carpentry rounds only go 20 turns instead of 30. That would save approximately 15 minutes, which would roughly offset two of the gunners.
[Apr 15, 2006 3:47:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SiM99

Bia wrote: 
Three people left before the event started, so three who were waiting were jobbed. If I made any errors in my listing, I apologise to anyone who did not make the event.

ok, that explains my query. :)

Bia wrote: 
If a similar bake-off is done in the future, I shall try to consider how to make the event feasible while allowing more people to participate. The biggest difficulty is balancing the number of available stations

lol, yup... that and actually allowing everyone who wants to enter to do so.
I'd think there'd be more than 72 to be honest.
Simm
Wyvern's Pride
Broadsiders
Midnight
M11... oh, hang on - no postcode.
Sorry, thought I was in reality for a minute there!
[Apr 16, 2006 3:38:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | Previous Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates