• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 63
Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10636 times and has 62 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

[Midnight] All Duty Puzzle Bake-off - Win an Octopus!

When: Friday, April 14, 6pm PST

Event Host: Minthe

Participation Limit: 60

Rules:
Joining
  • Thirty minutes before the start, Minthe will begin jobbing players on board the Grand Dutyfish.
  • There will not be a broadcast to announce the start of the event.
  • Players must send a tell to Minthe to be jobbed aboard
  • Players may only enter once. Anyone found attempting to enter twice will be disqualified.
  • Players must remove Do Not Disturb; Minthe will not make any effort to correct players who make a mistake.
  • Players must remain on board the ship and in the crew or possibly forfeit their space in the bake-off.
  • Players cannot hold a space for another player.

Rounds
  • The bake-off will take place over a series of rounds. Each round will have a different duty puzzle that the players will play:
  • Preliminary Rounds: Sailing. 2 rounds, 30 sailors apiece. Top 12 continue to the quarterfinals. 30 turns
  • Quarterfinals: Carpentry. 1 round. 24 carpenters. Top 10 continue to the semifinals. 30 turns
  • Semifinals: Bilging. 1 round. 10 bilgers. Top 2 continue to the finals. 30 turns.
  • Finals: Gunnery. Top two will be timed to load 24 cannons.

Finals
    Each finalist will be timed to load all twenty four cannons from a "dirty" position. The process shall be as follows:
  • Contestants will start outside the puzzle and will signal their readiness to begin by saying "Aim!"
  • Once all cannons are loaded, the contestant shall have to leave the puzzle and say, "Fire!"
  • Time shall be compared via chatlogs.

Judges
    I shall need two player assistants to help with the bake-off. Primary duties shall be filling cannons to mark time in all rounds except the finals. You must be a subscriber, have a sufficiently high rank in Gunning to load quickly, and be able to become an officer in Minthe's crew. If you are interested, please send a private message to Bia.

Prizes:
    All prize-winners will get a trinket. First through fifth will also get another prize, chosen from the options for that place.
  • Grand Prize: Fancy Ribbon trinket; A blue octopus
  • Second Prize: Fancy Ribbon trinket; Ancient Jolly Roger or Lodestone Compass or a rare Easter Egg.
  • 3-5th: Ribbon trinket; Piglet or Turtle or an Easter Egg.
  • 6-10th: Ribbon trinket.
  • 11th-24th: Sand Dollar.
    ----------------------------------------
    [Edit 3 times, last edit by Bia at Apr 8, 2006 9:53:37 PM]
  • [Mar 22, 2006 6:19:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kerix

Re: [Midnight] All Duty Puzzle Bake-off - Win an Octopus!

Hmmm, very interesting contest :) I'm a pretty high ult in sails, carp, and bilge.... If could get my stats up on midnight I might have a decent shot at making it to the finals.... but I'm only a GM gunner at best....

But, if I made it, I'd only have to beat one other stud bilger at gunning......... it could happen, right?

... right?

I'll give it a shot, should be fun either way :p
    [Mar 22, 2006 9:08:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kenneh

All Duty Puzzle Bake-off

No D-Nav? :(
    Sink
    the closest some pirates will ever get to the real thing.

yah not a frig, sum peeple ar so stupid!!!

[Mar 22, 2006 9:41:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    kaptainken [Link]  Go to top 
    manky

All Duty Puzzle Bake-off

No D-Nav? :(

No!

Yay!
    the_rock99 wrote: 
    Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Mar 22, 2006 10:13:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    B_licker

Yeah, no duty nav? ;-)

Seriously, though, once you whittle down the number of pirates to 4 or less, a duty nav race is very doable.
    [Mar 22, 2006 10:14:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Nemor

Well Im not complaining that theres no duty nav in the competition... Im not a subscriber so because of this, I can do the whole competition.
    Previous King of Vanguard.

Nemor
    Me carping
    [Mar 22, 2006 5:05:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Skype: nemor1 [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

Holy crap!
    [Mar 22, 2006 6:35:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    mcpirate1978

Ancient Jolly Roger or Lodestone Compass

I'm sorry, but what are these? Did I miss something?
    Fullbeard
    [Mar 23, 2006 10:47:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    andman

A table top furnishing.

A wall furnishing.

EDIT: Compass on top, Jolly Roger on bottom.
    Iollipop!
    ooh baby baby.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by andman at Mar 23, 2006 10:59:43 AM]
    [Mar 23, 2006 10:58:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.myspace.com/thethoughtfuloblivion    hello4am [Link]  Go to top 
    xFinniganx

Oh great. I'll try to make it.
    [Mar 24, 2006 10:04:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    smellypooo

Rules:
    Joining
  • Thirty minutes before the start, Minthe will begin jobbing players on board the Grand Dutyfish.
  • There will not be a broadcast to announce the start of the event.
  • Players must send a tell to Minthe to be jobbed aboard
  • Players may only enter once. Anyone found attempting to enter twice will be disqualified.
  • Players must remove Do Not Disturb; Minthe will not make any effort to correct players who make a mistake.
  • Players must remain on board the ship and in the crew or possibly forfeit their space in the bake-off.
  • Players cannot hold a space for another player.

• *Whistles*
    [Mar 24, 2006 10:12:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Peanutswench

Is it safe to assume that two people with the same IP can enter as long as they sail in the same round?
    Peanutswench
    ------
    [Mar 24, 2006 1:55:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Falkenberg

I think the advice in the past was to do that, and also inform the person running the bakeoff that you were doing so in advance
    Falkenberg - All oceans, but homed on Midnight
    Proud owner of the Millennian Falkun, Dead Starfish, and X Wingfish on Midnight.
    [Mar 24, 2006 1:59:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://web.mac.com/jcfalkenberg    JohnCFalkenberg [Link]  Go to top 
    CrimsonHeart

If I'm not mistaken, 6pm PST is 2am GMT (my local time), which means it'll be highly unlikely that neither myself nor anyone else in this time zone (nor CET, for that matter) will be able to participate unless they're actually willing to stay up all night for it. (Which, as some of you might agree, just isn't healthy.)

Are ye sure ye can't make it an earlier time, just to make it fair on everyone?
    There are two main reasons for headbutting a door. One is to open the door itself, and I've forgotten the other one.
    [Edit 1 times, last edit by CrimsonHeart at Mar 24, 2006 4:13:31 PM]
    [Mar 24, 2006 4:08:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    ponytailguy

http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?month=3&day=25&year=2006&p1=224&p2=179&p3=136&p4=248

Which "time that's fair on everyone" were you referring to, exactly?

The entire event will take at least two or three hours (maybe as many as four, although rounds will get quicker as the competitors are fewer, as less time will be wasted tabulating scores and dealing with between-round shenanigans, which is what eats up the time at bakeoffs), I can guarantee that. If you start it at, say, 5:00 PM London time, then it's in the middle of the night for people in Australia and East Asia, and in the middle of the day on a Friday, so people will be in school or at work, for people in North America (the latter representing a much greater concentration of players than Europeans)

There is no "universally fair" time. It comes down to "which time is least universally unfair", and because of player concentrations, that's typically the time that's most suitable for North Americans. I would encourage you to lobby OOO for European-friendly bakeoffs (Demeter's a likely bet, or maybe you could talk Bia/Apollo/Arte into getting up early and doing them), but you're chasing windmills when you ask for a universally acceptable time.
    The Ghost of Oceans Past
    [Edit 2 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 24, 2006 4:41:49 PM]
    [Mar 24, 2006 4:30:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    manky

CrimsonHeart wrote: 
    If I'm not mistaken, 6pm PST is 2am GMT (my local time), which means it'll be highly unlikely that neither myself nor anyone else in this time zone (nor CET, for that matter) will be able to participate unless they're actually willing to stay up all night for it. (Which, as some of you might agree, just isn't healthy.)

You either stay up and enter it, or give it a miss and keep your fingers crossed that *if* there's another one, it will be at a more friendly time for you.

And if you were to bring it forward, say, 4 hours, you screw up everyone GMT+4. Whatever time the contests are, there is pretty much always someone somewhere getting a raw deal.
    the_rock99 wrote: 

[Mar 24, 2006 4:51:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Dylan

time that's fair on everyone

1. I fully support the right of an organiser to organise when they wish to.
    2. If this time round, for this event, happens to be inconvenient for some time zones, I am sure that there will be similar events at very different times, too.
    3. Having said that, given the play-off nature of this particular event, it is a shame that my suggestions (long lost in these forums, unless Faulkston can find them) as to timing of such events have been forgotten.

The way to find a time that is fair for everyone is to have qualifiers at a range of times, and then finals (and if needed semis) too.

For example, for a 3 hour event, if the start times are 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. on Saturday for San Francisco, then the earlier time is early evening in Europe, while the latter is morning (on the Sunday) in Australia and Asia.

If qualifiers have just two or four progressing, I am sure they would be available for a less than convenient time for finals if a familiar were at stake.

If each qualifier has just one winner, then finals (and semis) can be head to head at convenience (depending what the contest is).

Dylan
    [Mar 24, 2006 4:54:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Synful

The OMs have done a great job with rotating time zones. I remember one month that was 3 am for me for them, did I HWFO? No. I knew that in time, one would come at a more convenient time for me.
    The name is Synful.
    ------------------------
    [Mar 24, 2006 5:24:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Yoda

I agree that they do a good job rotating the times around. What makes me unhappy is the fact that the types of Events that I personally like are always done during bad times for me while all the ones I find uninteresting fit my schedule.

... =(
    [Mar 26, 2006 2:43:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    nnmama1

Will any of these events ever take place at time that is more convient for our members in Europe? Last 3 big events 6 PM PST heck that even making it late for the East Coast US.
    Lilredhen
    Captain of Chaos Theory
    Royal of For Glory or Honour

Thanks for the Avatar Alniyat :)
    [Mar 26, 2006 4:03:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    crazee_colin

This months familiar contests are at 6am PST ... I think that's a pretty good tim fer Europeans ...
    ~ Crazee
    [Mar 26, 2006 4:44:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    manky

Erm, this is at 6pm...
    the_rock99 wrote: 

[Mar 26, 2006 5:45:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Skeleton_Pac

Sounds great, I don't think I am near skilled enough to make it even past the first round, though. I also think that they do a great job with their event times. No one should be complaining about that.
    For God so loved the World, that he gave his only
    begotten son, that whosoever believes in him shall not
    perish, but have everlasting life.For God did not come
    into the world to condemn the world,but to save the
    world through him.
    -John 3:16-17
    [Mar 27, 2006 3:16:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Velariel

For those of us currently living in Japan, most times are pretty terrible. Blockades start at 5am every time, and often the events are in the middle of the night/day. They do their best, but you really can't please everyone in the world all the time...there's too much difference between the timezones.

Tacita
    Captain of Hawk and Raven, Midnight
    Tacita of Midnight.
    Half blind, crippled, and Damned.
    [Mar 27, 2006 6:42:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    kth38

I agree that they do a good job rotating the times around. What makes me unhappy is the fact that the types of Events that I personally like are always done during bad times for me while all the ones I find uninteresting fit my schedule.

... =(

----

May I suggest making your own event similar to the ones you like and making a time you like ...

Not everyone can be in every event they like.

[EDIT] Or to get yer own back, make a tournament for 10 am GMT, as that will be 2am PST. and 5am in CST

(How do i know this stuff, i am GMT)
    - Kayh, of the Midnight Ocean
    - Kaiian, of the Sage Ocean

[Edit 1 times, last edit by kth38 at Mar 27, 2006 11:07:20 PM]
    [Mar 27, 2006 11:05:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    YummyVenom

Yucky timing. :/

Good luck to everyone that can actually make it. :D
    robertdonald tells you, "I get people saying they know me constantly"

robertdonald tells you, "but I think they have me confused with a clown with red hair"

Venom-Princess of Crimson Tide, Captain of Marine Knights
    [Mar 29, 2006 12:09:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Shuranthae

Kego wrote: 
    May I suggest making your own event similar to the ones you like and making a time you like ...
    I run quite a few Events (when the urge strikes me), but the problem with running Events is I can't really enter them myself. =P
    [Mar 29, 2006 1:01:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Bia
    OceanMaster

Kego wrote: 
    I run quite a few Events (when the urge strikes me), but the problem with running Events is I can't really enter them myself. =P

Running events is a way to live vicariously through the winners.
    [Mar 29, 2006 3:18:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Dolgan

February's Events were at Midnight PST, and there was a whole set starting at 3am PST late last year (both great times for Europeans and bad for Americans)

All times zones get catered for throughout the year. We just need patience to wait for the ones we can make.

Dolgan
    Dolgan

Buying: lime dye!!
    [Mar 29, 2006 9:47:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Yoda

Bia wrote: 
    My other Self wrote: 
    Kego wrote: 

Running events is a way to live vicariously through the winners.
    Not when all the work and prizes are supply by my lonely self. =(

I'm not really sad, I just like using the frown with this name... =(
    [Mar 29, 2006 11:58:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
    Posts: 63   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
    [Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates