• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 89
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 16060 times and has 88 replies Next Thread
Prometheus
OceanMaster

[Contest] Eggs ahoy!

Ah, it's that time of year again. A time when the snow melts, the sun shines and... the Dread Bunnies pelt us with eggs?! As absurd as that sounds, they need your help. These eggs won't paint themselves.

You have two weeks to design the bestest, brightest, eggiest looking Easter Eggs. The best designs of the bunch will be used as textures for actual egg furniture items for use in the game. Below is a template to illustrate what a final design should look like.

You can design whatever your mind can come up with but the image needs to "wrap" as in the template. What that means is if put side by side the edges would flow seamlessly into each other. The scene also really burns out the details, so make the whole thing slightly darker than you would think. Slightly!

To enter, post your entries in the entry thread here.

- Entries must be 256x256 .png files (use the template as reference).
- Enter as many designs as you like, but only post once in the entry thread. Remember, we're looking for quality, not quantity.
- Keep it simple. Eggs are small, make sure your design shines through.
- The deadline for posting your entry is March 22nd at 4pm Pacific.

Sorry, about that. You can download the egg model here if you have a 3D modelling program and wish to test your texture. Again, you do not need this to enter. It's only an extra for those who have the means.

If you have any questions/comments/what have you in regards to the contest, feel free to post in this thread.
Good Luck!
----------------------------------------
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Prometheus at Mar 23, 2006 2:55:30 PM]
[Mar 8, 2006 5:28:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Kimarick

Re: [Contest] Eggs ahoy! -- Design Easter Eggs to be added to the game. Deadline 3/22

Wooot Ill start asap
Capt. Kim
[Mar 8, 2006 5:34:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kimarick

Re: [Contest] Eggs ahoy! -- Design Easter Eggs to be added to the game. Deadline 3/22

One question, If you win do ye get one of yer created eggs?!?!
Capt. Kim
[Mar 8, 2006 5:53:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

You might want to do some warping of that image... it'll come out weird once it's applied to the egg object. (Compare it with Prom's example... the blue bendy border in the middle gets a real stretching, and the upright ovals below it turn into thin, long ones instead of tall, stubby ones.)

The stars might actually result in a pretty cool effect, but the two Ps, between the warping and the stretching, might come out kinda gunky :-/

Edit: See Guppy for rendering help!
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 14, 2006 8:34:17 PM]
[Mar 8, 2006 8:34:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hondamugen20

I see.

I'm limited in talent so I'll take my chances with it looking ok after modeling. I don't have a 3d modeling program to wrap and check so if it don't work out...o well. While I'm not asking them to refine my work; the powers that be (if they think its worthy) have my permission to adjust it.
Haywoodx
No Crew
No Flag
No Title
No Money
[Mar 8, 2006 8:40:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Re: My stuff.

Is that too detailed? Also, is there any way of knowing if I managed to get the earrings at the sides without actually buying 3DSMax?
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Mar 8, 2006 9:13:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Is that too detailed? Also, is there any way of knowing if I managed to get the earrings at the sides without actually buying 3DSMax?

PTG wrote: 
Edit: actually, you know what? I've got a copy of 3dS kicking around... anyone who wants to see their texture rendered, hit me up.

Send it to Teeg and he'll check for you.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 8, 2006 9:26:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I've rendered your first model, Rhodin, and while the hair does line up perfectly in the back... well, see for yourself :-/ (These are exported at low-quality to save bandwith and processing power on my poor, poor old computer)

Accurate size: (What it'll look like in-game)

Blown up size: (So you can see details at this point)

The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 8, 2006 9:32:32 PM]
[Mar 8, 2006 9:31:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hondamugen20

Well I free trialed 3ds max 8 but for the life of me cannot apply the skin to the mesh model.
Haywoodx
No Crew
No Flag
No Title
No Money
[Mar 8, 2006 9:37:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

It's hillarious, which is probably good. It's also probably good that you didn't choose to render Prometheus first. >.>

Well, the earrings are in the right spot, but the rest of the face is too wide.

Also, is it just the low quality or do the spots on the bandana actually disappear? I may need to hike the contrast.
[Mar 8, 2006 10:18:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

It's hillarious, which is probably good. It's also probably good that you didn't choose to render Prometheus first. >.>

Well, the earrings are in the right spot, but the rest of the face is too wide.

Also, is it just the low quality or do the spots on the bandana actually disappear? I may need to hike the contrast.
I had a look-see from the top down, and the spots are indeed disappearing.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 9, 2006 5:44:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

Where can we get the 3ds model from?

I have 3ds max with Illustrate! so would just need the model for rendering.
[Mar 9, 2006 7:08:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
manky

The link was in the original post, so I'm guessing Pro decided to remove it.
the_rock99 wrote: 
Besides, gamers dont cheat. We grind and grind until we get it right.

[Mar 9, 2006 7:47:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Where can we get the 3ds model from?

I have 3ds max with Illustrate! so would just need the model for rendering.
There were some un-necessary textures left in the original file, so I think Prometheus has taken it down for a spit-polish.

And I'll slap a "how to apply textures to objects" tutorial on the wiki shortly... have all the screencaps, just need the writing.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 9, 2006 7:51:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

The link was in the original post, so I'm guessing Pro decided to remove it.

Well if someone has it can they put it somewhere to get it, not really thinking I need to worry about the textures just as long as the .max/.3ds file has the correct lighting settings.

I can remap the textures and account for missing/unnecessary tiles, would just really prefer the model so I can create a grid template for positioning.

I can create an egg, but the proportions used for the sample egg seem disproportionate to account for more surface area.
[Mar 9, 2006 8:00:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

The issue is that the textures are in his /my documents/ folder, and since he uses XP, the directories it looks in (and reports back as "Hey, have you seen this texture lately, man?") reveal his name and some of his past consulting work... so it's a matter of privacy as well.

Plus it spits out what looks like errors but actually don't affect you provided you only want to play around with the egg, which might put some people who aren't used to 3DS off.

Anyway, tutorial is up for anyone who needs a quick primer.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 9, 2006 8:15:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

The issue is that the textures are in his /my documents/ folder, and since he uses XP, the directories it looks in (and reports back as "Hey, have you seen this texture lately, man?") reveal his name and some of his past consulting work... so it's a matter of privacy as well.

Plus it spits out what looks like errors but actually don't affect you provided you only want to play around with the egg, which might put some people who aren't used to 3DS off.

Anyway, tutorial is up for anyone who needs a quick primer.

Nice tutorial, but doesn't help me with what I am trying to do, guess I will have to wait and see if he reposts it.

To make a distributable model, all you would have to do is remove all the texture mappings and leave it as a wireframe and save the new scene as a .max file and there should be no errors as when it renders it should only render the wireframe.
[Mar 9, 2006 8:25:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hondamugen20

Awesome PTG!

However, the 8.0 version layout doesn't have a material editor button (where I can find it anyway) and so many options are ghosted out becasue its only a trial version.

I do not recommend users go to Autodesk and download this AdS Max 8 Trial just to see your model rendered. Now I hope it strips clean from my add remove programs.

Thanks for using my skin in your tutorial...the PP logo did turn out; you think?
Haywoodx
No Crew
No Flag
No Title
No Money
[Mar 9, 2006 8:51:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Awesome PTG!

However, the 8.0 version layout doesn't have a material editor button (where I can find it anyway) and so many options are ghosted out becasue its only a trial version.

I do not recommend users go to Autodesk and download this AdS Max 8 Trial just to see your model rendered. Now I hope it strips clean from my add remove programs.

Thanks for using my skin in your tutorial...the PP logo did turn out; you think?
At 400x400, yes... at 60x60, probably not ;)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 9, 2006 8:53:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hondamugen20

Good point. I'll just cross my fingers.....and toes!
Haywoodx
No Crew
No Flag
No Title
No Money
[Mar 9, 2006 8:55:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Good point. I'll just cross my fingers.....and toes!

I shrunk his screenie of your egg, and I can barely see the logo. It's possible that people with low screen resolutions will be able to see it. At the very least, it has the right color scheme for Easter.
[Mar 9, 2006 9:18:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Yeech. People are reading way too deep into things.

Some people have asked me for the original egg model. I'm refusing all requests, including one or two from close friends, because Prometheus has taken the model down for a reason; no sense distributing a file he clearly doesn't want distributed.

No, I'm not hoarding it for my hearties. No, I'm not using it to work on my own entries. (I don't plan on entering, actually.) No, I'm not using it as a tool to be more or less "sportsmanlike". It's not a personal thing, I'm just not distributing it.

Be patient, I'm sure Pro will have another model along shortly, but PLEASE stop griefing me in PMs. The people who this applies to know who they are. (I mean, ferchristsakes, you've got WEEKS to finish your entries. A few hours of waiting won't kill you.)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 9, 2006 1:33:20 PM]
[Mar 9, 2006 1:32:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prometheus
OceanMaster

The model is back up! I pulled it to quickly check on a few things but everything's good to go.

To answer Kimarick's question, sure, the creators of the chosen patterns will get a free egg with their pattern on it.
[Mar 9, 2006 2:37:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Forevryoung

does the design have to do with pirates?
[Mar 9, 2006 3:33:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
hondamugen20

I wouldn't think so mate. Anthything that looks good on 60x60 and wrapped around an egg will do. If your looking for tips on what might earn you points...only the judging committee knows that and I'm sure no hints will be provided on how they will score entries. Just make it appealing to the eye, clean and simple, and pray for the best. Good luck mate.
Haywoodx
No Crew
No Flag
No Title
No Money
[Mar 9, 2006 4:09:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

I updated the mesh to reduce the errors for missing files it throws an exception for the animation sequence, but just continue the render as normal and you should be good to go.

Updated Egg Mesh

It will output the render to C:\TEMP just make sure u have that directory and you're all set.
[Mar 9, 2006 5:09:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moon_howl

This is going to be such fun! But I don't have a 3D program either..O_O
Princess of the flag Latin Revolution
Visit Pandaxee's Art Shop and order an avatar! *I will accept money on all oceans*
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=720520#720520
[Mar 9, 2006 6:48:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sunny_Priestess    amkids642 [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

Which area is the target area front, left, top, or the degree angle?
[Mar 9, 2006 8:59:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

If it's going to be furniture, I imagine they'll be taking multiple angles. They'll probably stick to the "front" if there is one, though. (Like on Rhodin's dolls and the familiar series.)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 9, 2006 9:16:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
salendor

how exacly do u transfere a pic onto a message?
[Mar 10, 2006 1:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 89   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates