• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Announcement Thread
Total posts in this thread: 64
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 51458 times and has 63 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

Events Howto Reply to this Post

Please see Apollo's post for full details on how to get help with prizes or events. Other event policies will be posted here:

Suspending Blockades for Events:
- Anyone running an event over blockade periods who wish to put a temporary hold on blockades of one or more islands during their event will need to submit their request via. e-mail to events@puzzlepirates.com at least 4 weeks in advance. Please include "Blockade Suspension" somewhere in your e-mail.
- Include a layout of your event and explanation as to why you are requesting blockades be turned off for the island(s)
- If accepted, confirmation should be posted to the forums and noticeboard (presumably along with the event announcement) no less than 3 weeks in advance letting everyone know which island(s) will not be open for blockade.
- During the week beforehand (early in the week would be ideal) send in a petition reminding us to turn off blockades.
- This is not meant to be a means of thwarting blockades and will only be granted for large scale events which are well planned.

Information on Event blockades can be found here:
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=1204521#1204521

Global Events and International Oceans
-- Winners in global events run or supported by OMs are welcome to claim their prizes on Opal and Jade, unless noted otherwise.
-- Winners in global events run by players are welcome to claim their prizes on Opal and Jade, if the host offers that option.
-- Global events will continue to be run in English, with entries in English.
-- For some OM events, translations of the event post may be provided and posted by the OMs in the international oceans' event forums.
-- Events run specifically for Opal will be run in German, events run specifically for Jade will be run in Spanish and prizes can only be claimed on the according ocean.
-- Oceanmasters will not help with the translation of events upon request.
-- However, we do reserve the right to chose suitable events run by players and translate them for international oceans, if we find the time.
-- We will not distribute English language prizes on a non-English ocean. This means that labelled prizes (ships, inscribed trinkets, etc.) will be replaced by a similar prize, labelled in the ocean's language.
-- Finally, these are guidelines put in place so that there is a current policy. The policy is subject to change if we alter how we support international events.

Claiming Prizes from OM events
In most OM events, prizes are pre-determined and are delivered by the OMs to a shack or house of the winners. In some cases, though, winners are asked to pick up a prize, choose a prize, or to provide information (such as type, color, location, pirate, etc). In these cases please provide the requested information or pick up the prizes within two weeks. After that time, all prizes will be forfeit.

Offering real-life prizes
We are not comfortable with events hosted on this site offering prizes that require winners to provide mailing addresses. We therefore request that you do not do this.

Noticeboard listing for events
You do not need to email the events email address to get a noticeboard listing - it is a process independent from OM support. An OM picks events up from the various events forums, and selects those that look appropriate for a noticeboard listing. Some of the criteria are:
* good prizes
* open to a large number of people
* sufficient notice
* looks well-planned, and good quality post
* no entry fee, not for profit
The list is usually updated a couple of times a week.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 12 times, last edit by Demeter at Jul 20, 2016 10:49:11 AM]
[Mar 2, 2006 8:16:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Re: Events Howto Reply to this Post

If you want OM assistance with an event - such as prizes or other requests - please email events@puzzlepirates.com and include the information below to help us to deal efficiently with your event request. We hope that this process will mean that we're able to get the information we need more quickly, and therefore get decisions back to you more promptly. This template will also be available on YPPedia. You may find that some sections of the template are not relevant to your event - that's fine. Fill in as much as is relevant.

General email tips
* Include a meaningful subject (e.g. the name of your event) as blank or very generic titles ("hi", "events") are more likely to be identified as spam.
* Do not put event information in an attachment. We don't open attachments, and your event information needs to be in the body of the email.
* There is currently no auto-response going out for Events emails.
* If you're sending a response, reply to our email rather than sending a fresh one, as it then links the emails in our system.
* Allow enough time - at least 2-4 weeks before your intended posting time, and more if it's a complex event that nay need discussion.

Pirate name: (Name and Ocean of the Pirate running the event.)
Name of Event:
Brief description: (This should be a brief, one-paragraph overview of the event.)
Venue: (Where the event will take place, such as Forum, Midnight Ocean, Dragon's Nest on the Viridian Ocean, All oceans, etc.)
Particpation: (How many players do you expect to take part? If there is a maximum number of participants, note that as well. If participation is in teams, crews or flags, note the number of teams as well as the expected number of pirates per team).
Expected Start Time: (When you plan on the event starting. Date and time if known. If you need assistance with the event or with prizes, you should allow at least 2 weeks between sending the email and your planned event start date.)
Planned Duration: (This should probably include overall length, e.g. 2 hours, 3 weeks, as well as how many separate sessions are expected and how much time will be needed for each section. For example: three writing periods over three weeks, each lasting one hour.)
Judging Duration: (How much time any judging will take. Also note if there is any other post-event cleanup that will be required, and how much time that will take.)
Desired Support:
* Oceanmaster Assistance (For instance, any broadcasts or news posts, judging support, and policing during the event.)
* Oceanmaster Prizes (Include a list of desired prizes, including familiars, trinkets, ship renames, or other items.)
* Broadcasts will not be agreed for every event. As a minimum, broadcast events need to be non-profit events with significant prizes, open to a large number of pirates.
* If you get approval for a broadcast, you should prepare a short informative message that includes the url for your event post, a contact name, and an event title. The message should be no longer than what would fit in a normal /speak or /tell message. About one hour before you need the broadcast, you can send in a petition with the prepared broadcast message. OMs on duty will only carry out broadcasts for events that have agreed them in advance. As stated elsewhere, broadcasts remain at the discretion of the OM on duty. They will always try their best to help you with broadcasts, but if they are unable to do so, please respect their decision.
* When requesting prizes, remember that we are more likely to offer help with prizes for events where some prizes are already being provided by the event organizer. For example, we are much more likely to agree to rename a prize ship that you are providing than to provide the ship ourselves.
* We prefer prizes that are easy to hand over to the event planners so that we can arrange prizes at our convenience, rather than needing to arrange meetings. Trinkets, clothing, mugs, bludgeons, swords and ship renames (given an existing ship!) are all straightforward prizes for us to provide.
Event Proposal: (Write a full event proposal. This should be descriptive and complete for how your event will play out. You should include at least a draft of the forum post for the event. This may be your starting point, but you should also include any additional information, such as the following.)
* Rules
* Sign-up Guidelines
* Specific Judging Guidelines
* Prize Breakdown (including the desired prize support above)
Expected Player Assistance: (How much help you expect from other players. This should include prizes, personnel, or other assistance.)
Possible Foreseen Problems: (What are some problems that may possibly arise during your event? Do you have any plans for how to deal with them?)
Similar Events: (Provide links to similar events that have been run in the past, whether by you or someone else.)
Results of Event Testing: (If at all possible, you should run a test event first. In this section, you should provide us a breakdown of how the test went. What problems arose, and how were they dealt with? What changes have you made? Note that it is very unusual for a brand new event to be a familiar event ? usually smaller-scale events of that type have been run first.)
Other Events Run: (Provide links to other events that you have run, if possible, and of the level of events support that you have from elsewhere (e.g. your crew, flag, hearties). We ask this so that we know how likely it is that the event will be run, and run successfully. A good track record of event management will make us more confident in supporting your event.)

Other notes

*Include the date and time in the subject of your event post in the forums so that others event runners can see when events are happening and try to avoid conflicts.
* Allow enough time for discussion of your event, and allow enough time for people to see and join your event.
* To get OM assistance, you should email your event proposal at least 2-4 weeks before the planned posting date. If the event is complex, or if you are requesting valuable prizes, then you should expect a much longer timescale for discussion.
* If you are receiving OM assistance, your event needs to be posted on the Events forum (or in the appropriate ocean events forum) for at least one week before the event date, or at least two weeks before the closing date for creative / ongoing contests.
* You can, of course, continue to post and run your own events, subject to the normal rules and restrictions. Oceanmaster assistance will only be given to event proposals following this application process, though.
* If you have a general query or a simple question, rather than a full event proposal, then there is no need to use the template given above, and you can continue to use the events@puzzlepirates.com email address.
* These guidelines are subject to change!

Para español, da clic aquí
[Edit 10 times, last edit by Clotho at Mar 10, 2017 5:44:44 PM]
[Mar 16, 2006 11:16:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Very nice! This is quite similar to how we proposed our event ideas for the E2 event. :)
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 16, 2006 12:32:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

I feel like I've seen that template someplace before.

/me winks.

The message should be no longer than what would fit in a normal /speak or /tell message.

It would probably help to give people the actual character count limit for this.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Mar 16, 2006 12:37:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I feel like I've seen that template someplace before.

/me winks.

Aye, shamelessly adopted, I believe.
[Mar 16, 2006 12:45:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Hey, it was a great system and worked very well. Nothing wrong with that!
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 16, 2006 12:47:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Noheart

There is one thing that is unclear to me.

If we are requesting OM assistance, does that request need to be made before we begin forum discussion, or do we need the forum post to show the level of interest?

The specific phrase that's confusing me is :

"If you need assistance with the event or with prizes, you should allow at least 2 weeks between sending the email and your planned event start date."

I'm not sure what exactly is meant by 'event start date'.

~Noheart
[Mar 24, 2006 7:20:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

From past experience, you should always secure your prizes before you post in the forum. A clear and concise initial post is the key to a successful event. I would definitely give more than two weeks for approval though.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 24, 2006 8:20:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Arte's gotten back to most of my inquiries about prizes and events within 24-48 hours or so. (No comment on Apollo/Bia because I haven't dealt with them yet) However, if you've got anything squishy or negotiable, and ESPECIALLY if you want a high-level prize (a rare trinket or a trinket in black/gold, a familiar, or anything else with a market value of > 100k PoE), leave yourself as much of a cushion as you possibly can.

Also, remember office hours. Arte/Apollo/Bia aren't volunteers, they're employees. They answer these things on the clock (by which I mean, to them it's work), not as "social friendly happy e-mail time". They have lives too, and especially on weekends, they're entitled to enjoy them.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 24, 2006 9:30:09 AM]
[Mar 24, 2006 9:29:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Arte's gotten back to most of my inquiries about prizes and events within 24-48 hours or so. (No comment on Apollo/Bia because I haven't dealt with them yet) However, if you've got anything squishy or negotiable, and ESPECIALLY if you want a high-level prize (a rare trinket or a trinket in black/gold, a familiar, or anything else with a market value of > 100k PoE), leave yourself as much of a cushion as you possibly can.

Also, remember office hours. Arte/Apollo/Bia aren't volunteers, they're employees. They answer these things on the clock (by which I mean, to them it's work), not as "social friendly happy e-mail time". They have lives too, and especially on weekends, they're entitled to enjoy them.

OMs have lives??? *gasp*

-My experience is a bit different. I submitted the preliminary idea for my upcoming event, it took over a week to hear back from Arte, and now am waiting to hear back on the complete idea.

The main point I think of that statement you want clarification on is - dont ask for prizes the day before you host an event and plan on hearing back from them. If you want to host an event and would like any form of OM support on it, fill out that "form" and then just sit back and wait - it could take up to 2 weeks (or so) to hear back from them. If you dont need any sort of OM support, you dont need to follow that guideline but you do need to meet the standard "im hosting an event" policies.
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Mar 24, 2006 12:10:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Totally rephrased, see below.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 3 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 24, 2006 4:56:33 PM]
[Mar 24, 2006 2:14:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

That's not necessarily true, Teeg. I know Artemis looks for other things besides, "See, I've done it before and done it well!". A lot depends on the event itself. If your proposal is clear and concise, and familiar worthy, a new organiser will get a response in the same time as a veteran. Not everybody will get to offer a familiar as a prize either, whether veteran or novice.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 24, 2006 4:42:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Edit: actually, let's try and rephrase that from scratch, because I think I've confused even myself.

The OMs often discuss things before they do them. It creates a good work environment when people collaborate, and especially for things like Events, where there is some degree of preplanned guidance set before them with regards to prizes and how many of each type can be collectively awarded every month (for example, I guarantee you we'll never see a month where they give away twenty non-OCL familiars, because this kind of broad planning is in place), it's necessary.

The more information the OMs have about you and your event, the quicker their decision will likely be. Aside from the obvious fact that Evidence of Preparation = VERY VERY GOOD, they need to try their best to ensure that events are successful, which means they need reliable event runners.

If this is your first event, good for you for showing initiative! You can help speed up the process by planning more out and getting more stuff on paper (maybe even running a "dry run" of your event with flaggies and hearties to make sure it all works), which means they have more evidence of your energy, reliability, and skill. If this isn't your first event, make sure and cover your past events. Dozens of events happen every month, so the OMs don't track every single detail of all of them... and remember, even events that the OMs didn't provide assistance with look good on your resume, provided you pulled them off. (And maybe if you didn't, if you can show what you learned and would do differently a second time.)

If they don't see effort and ability, they may not be prepared to trust you with the bigger przies. If you can demonstrate those two traits, though, you're in like flint. (Provided your event concept doesn't suck.)

That any better, Syn? ;)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 24, 2006 4:59:27 PM]
[Mar 24, 2006 4:44:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

If you can demonstrate those two traits, though, you're in like flint. (Provided your event concept doesn't suck.)

That any better, Syn? ;)

That's not necessarily true either, but it'll pass :p
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Mar 24, 2006 5:02:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

If we plan an event for all oceans, do we have to have prizes ready on each ocean, or can prizes be transferred to other oceans? I know it was done for E2, but I'm not sure if this is a common practice for events.
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Apr 3, 2006 5:14:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

If we plan an event for all oceans, do we have to have prizes ready on each ocean, or can prizes be transferred to other oceans? I know it was done for E2, but I'm not sure if this is a common practice for events.

Good question. The answer is that we could definitely be persuaded to do that, but only for items which we're willing to provide as prizes anyway. And you still need to e-mail and be approved!
[Apr 3, 2006 1:04:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CountCristo

Good question. The answer is that we could definitely be persuaded to do that, but only for items which we're willing to provide as prizes anyway. And you still need to e-mail and be approved!

So prizes that we come up with would only be available on the ocean we buy them on? Ships being my main question.
Cristo-Viridian and occasionally the rest.
[Apr 3, 2006 1:41:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nalanthi

How do the OM's feel about an email with a link to a Wikipedia article using the E2 format rather than text?
Nalanthi - A Blatant PvPer, War Monger and Officer of the Falcon's Fury.
-Midnight (Retired)
Tamman - Head of a Merchant Empire, and Strategist of Black Plague
-Viridian (Retired)
Nalanthi - Mercenary and scalawag.
-Malachite
[Apr 6, 2006 9:50:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

How do the OM's feel about an email with a link to a Wikipedia article using the E2 format rather than text?

That would be fine as well, better if you can make it all pretty and good looking! :)
[Apr 7, 2006 8:42:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

How long should we be waiting for a responce? I think I sent mine in about a week and a half ago.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Apr 7, 2006 9:45:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

I didn't think we had any sitting for that long, can you double check you've not just lost the response? Some e-mail filters don't like our system.
[Apr 7, 2006 12:50:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

I know I haven't lost the response. I used by school one, with user defined filters and nothing has gone into the filter folder.

I sent it on the 3rd.
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Apr 8, 2006 6:03:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
da_ripper

/em is gonna make an event since I know how now =)

Game over. Winner: Expel.
Antix says, "Expel just pikachu'd the charizard out of him"
Antix says, "Nice one"
Expel says, "Super effective"

Chimeravirus of Viridian.
[Apr 12, 2006 6:08:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

Little Tibby
[Edit 5 times, last edit by Stevedrago at May 4, 2006 6:54:06 PM]
[Apr 24, 2006 6:27:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jellynjam

Hi
I am errrr.... younger than most, not subscribed, and nervous. You see, I want to start a Captain's Day, and I'm not sure how. What do I do????????

Thanks, Inga
Cheers,
Inga of Cobalt
[May 15, 2006 3:47:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Well, what exactly would you like to do? "Captain's day" is pretty meaningless by itself. ;)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[May 15, 2006 6:50:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jellynjam

Errrrrrr......alright PTG sir.

What it is is this Captain's Appreciation Day..pretty cheesy I know. Here is the link....my prob is some people r scamming me: u will see, they r the bottom 2 other then me. Can I do something about this???????

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=37440

Thanks,

Inga
Cheers,
Inga of Cobalt
[May 16, 2006 5:09:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ppplushies

I like this, because now mates will be holding more events. But you said that you may not get accepted fer the prizes ye want. Is their a guidline to know what is gonna get accepted and whats no gonna get accepted?
Kadazzle
[May 21, 2006 2:52:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stevedrago

* When requesting prizes, remember that we are more likely to offer help with prizes for events where some prizes are already being provided by the event organizer. For example, we are much more likely to agree to rename a prize ship that you are providing than to provide the ship ourselves.

* We prefer prizes that are easy to hand over to the event planners so that we can arrange prizes at our convenience, rather than needing to arrange meetings. Trinkets, clothing, mugs, gloves, swords and ship renames (given an existing ship!) are all straightforward prizes for us to provide.

I hope this answeres ur question Ppplushies
Little Tibby
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Stevedrago at May 21, 2006 2:58:20 PM]
[May 21, 2006 2:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Speaking as a somewhat professional OM prize leech, here's an approximate list of the prizes they're likely to give out, in sequence of likelihood, from most likely to least likely (and note that black/gold is exponentially less likely than any other colour):
- Plain ribbons (Seriously, sometimes I think they'd give you ribbons if you held an event where everyone who spells their name properly wins.)
- Any uninscribeable trinket (Coral, starfish)
- Free renames (You bring the boat, they bring the shangs. This one is especially true if it's appropiate to your event... for example, for Sloop Blackjack, we give away ______ Blackjack sloops, and the OMs help us by renaming them.)
- Common trinkets (flowers and bunches thereof, fancy ribbons, stuff that's regularly put up for grabs in automated tournaments.)
- Cheap custom clothing (Rags being the main example)
- Sleeping pigs/turtles (Artemis has, if memory serves, actually said that she thinks they should give away more of these.)
- Rare trinkets (Signet rings, comb, mirror, etc.)
- Expensive custom clothing (You want a gold/gold savvy hat? It'll dust eventually, but this is the only way to get it.)
- "Services" (Free set of charts, portrait with OM (Which I believe has been phased out), anything else the OMs actually have to do instead of just hand over to you.)
- Familiars
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 3 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Jun 24, 2006 2:34:26 PM]
[May 22, 2006 2:10:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 64   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates