• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 82
Posts: 82   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 10026 times and has 81 replies Next Thread
Astrolabe1

[Forums] Puzzle Tutorial Contest -- All Oceans -- Lots of Big Prizes! Reply to this Post

Avast ye blood-handed cut-throats! Why be ye all dastardly curs, like that mutinous scalliwag Barbarossa? What of the Code of the Pirates? What of honor on the open seas? ... we know you can beat your mates... but are ye pirate enough to teach em?!

Announcing....

The Quest for the Ultimate Gurus

Overview

Design a puzzle-guide for your favorite puzzle(s), pulling together existing public guides, adding your own insights and explanations, and copiously illustrating with screen-shots and movies of your expertise in action.

Submit your guide to go head-to-head with other entrants' guides in a competition for prizes and poe... and you may walk away richer, with a ribbon announcing your ultimate guru-ness... and perhaps even a new pet devotedly following you!

After the contest, the best guides will be prominently posted on the forums and/or YPPedia for the benefit of the whole YPP community.

Feedback: talk-about for this event is also found in the YPPedia here, as well as below in this forum.

Prizes -- WOW!!

Look here for updates as I continue to raise more poe and items for awards... hopefully the value of both the poe awards and perhaps even the items will grow...

First place
* A pet pig or turtle
* Puzzle-suitable items worth up to 20k in your home ocean's currency
* A fancy ribbon announcing your guru-ness
* 20k poe

Second & Third place
* Puzzle-suitable items worth up to 20k in your home ocean's currency
* 15k poe

Four Honorable Mentions
* 10k poe

Best In puzzle
(Awarded to the best guide for each particular puzzle (categories A-C) -- provided it is judged good enough -- if it doesn't win one of the awards above)
* A plain ribbon announcing your guru-ness
* 5k poe

The seven finalists will be selected from 4 categories (see below), and the top three chosen from those seven, provided entries are judged good enough.

PLEASE HELP -- so far I've raised about 200k in poe for this contest. Please, if you are so inclined, help me get that pot up to 500k, to help encourage as many quality submissions as possible. I'm raising the poe on Viridian (one of the doubloon oceans) -- you can contact me there as Astrolabe, forum mail me here as Astrolabe1, or email me at astrolabeypp@yahoo.ca .

Even if you don't want to enter, please spread the world of this contest to all your ultimate puzzling mates... here's there chance to show their stuff to the whole YPP world!

ENTRIES

Description

Entrants are to create tutorial files for the puzzle(s) of their choice, starting with a presentation of the basic moves and working step by step up through the advanced tactics and strategies of ultimate puzzling.

Information should be consolidated from the YPPedia, the forums, and players' own experiences, and presented in a clear and systematic fashion.

The tutorial should be amply exemplified with images, screenshots and movies to help illustrate the moves, concepts and techniques being presented.

While the puzzle guide may draw on existing public (or your own private) tutorials, they must add to the knowledge available to the community -- just by reorganization/updating/repackaging or also by your new explanations and discusisons, and definitely with new visual aids.

Subjects

A pirate may enter as many guides as he or she wishes, one puzzle in each entry.

Though it is not impossible that one pirate may have two winning guides -- preference will be given to awarding prizes to different pirates.

Entries should be a puzzle selected from the following four categories. (Puzzle guides compete against each other first within their category, as the 7 finalists are selected.)

A Duty Stations: Bilging, Sailing, Carpentry, Gunning, Duty Nav
B Shop Puzzles: Ship building, Alchemy, Distilling
C Tournaments: Drinking, SFing, Treasure Drop
D Miscellanea: Leading a Pillage, Running a Shop/Stall, Organizing and Running a blockade, Teaming in a Skellie Fight, Others.

The top seven will be selected as: 2 from category A, 1 each from categories B-D, and 2 wildcards.

Judging Criteria

Entries will be judged on the following criteria:
(1) Clarity: is the tutorial clear and easy to understand?
(2) Comprehensiveness: does the tutorial cover everything about the puzzle from the basic moves to the advanced strategies?
(3) Contribution: how much does the tutorial add to the YPP world, both by consolidating existing but scattered information and by adding new material to what is already publicly available?
(4) Illustration: Quality and quantity of visual aids to illustrate the concepts and techniques presented in the tutorial.
(5) Presentation: Overall visual appeal of the guide -- layout, formatting, etc.
(6) Research: Each entry must conclude with a "links" section which gathers together all the existing resources which the pirate found on the particular puzzle.

Though existing guides may be consulted, all material presented must be the entrant's own work.

Any images, video, or other support files used by the pirate, if not their own, must have the author's express permission for inclusion in this competition, sent by email from that author to me.

Any entries judged to have plagiarized will be disqualified.

Submission

The guides are to be in YPPedia (wikipedia) format, linking to the illustrations (images, video, etc.)

To submit for judging email your entry to me at astrolabeypp@yahoo.ca or forum mail it to me here. (Or do both, to be extra certain.)

Please include your pirate name and home ocean (or, at least, ocean where you want to receive a prize if you win).

Entries are due midnight, Monday March 13th, PST. (n.b. that's sunday night, not monday night)

I'll take your entry (w/o your name on it) and post it in a YPPedia page for the judges to evaluate. Because your name won't appear in the "edit history" of that new 'pedia page, your anonymity will be preserved. (Whether or not the content of your entry etc. preserves your anonymity is, of course, up to you.)

For your work over the next weeks, you'll want to preview how the formatting will look on the YPPedia.

You can do this by creating a "dummy" Wikipedia page on the YPPedia. Give this dummy page a name people aren't likely to look up, and do not link it in to any sort of category link. This will make it unlikely anyone else will see your page (except for the YPPedia administrators) as you edit it. Edit and tailor your work here as you prepare it for submission.

NOTA BENE Identify your work-in-progress post, at the top, as such; make sure administrators know not to delete it.

Also, keep your draft in a separate text file on your home computer (along, of course, with copies of the images & videos you are producing). Then if the administrators do inadvertently delete your draft, you don't lose any work.

In fact, you don't even need to actually post to the YPPedia to preview your work. You can cut & paste from your local text-file into a dummy YPPedia page and preview rather than submit. Make your changes, keep previewing, until you're done your editing session. Then cut and paste back into your locally-saved draft file, all without ever actually posting to the YPPedia.

Here's a quick visual introduction to the YPPedia, in case you're unfamiliar with it: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=558585#558585

GUIDELINES FOR ENTRANTS

How you chose to organize and present your tutorial is entirely up to you. But remeber that your entry will be judged, in part, on its clarity and organization.

Generally speaking, each entry should consist of:
(1) An brief introduction to and description of the puzzle
(2) A brief description of gameplay.
(3) A general overview of the basic tactical approach.
(4) Specific analysis of the primary tactics/situations/moves.
(5) Discussion (if necessary) of more complex situations/tactics.
(6) Plenty of pictures and videos to illustrate each point.
(7) At least one (and preferably more, if appropriate) "full" puzzling sessions, demonstrating the basic moves/tactics/approaches -- either recorded as a video (perhaps with commentary (writen or audio) as appropriate) or a "walk through" with images.
(8) A links section to other existing tutorials/tips/etc about your puzzle. Please make links as specific/direct as possible (i.e. linking to the proper point within a page, not to the top of it).

For your introduction, you may assume that the reader is familiar with the basic mechanics of the puzzle, so you need not go (unless you wish to) into too much detail... though you will want to at least summarize the basics of the puzzle.

Your primary focus, however, should be on presenting tactics/techniques (basic to advanced), on providing pictures & videos as illustration, and on coming up with a comprehensive "links" section to connect to other existing resources for the puzzle.

If you submit several tutorials, please make each one stand-alone and separate.

Also, to assist fair judging, PLEASE use an alt pirate in your images and movies so that your "real" pirate name doesn't appear in the images or movies. Likewise the url names or locations used to save these files.

In putting together your tutorials, you'll need to use various resources. The following may be of use:

Links
To start you off, check out the YPPedia guides/info: http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Puzzle here and http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/Category:Puzzles and http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=11101
These pages contain links to additional forum sites -- some of which are expired / out of date. There are plenty of other forum posts (individual ones or whole threads) as well, which you should collect into your "links" section as you gather your material.

Screenshots & Images
Macs & PCs both have built-in screen capture methods. There are plenty of shareware tools to edit images. I've found ColorIt on the Mac and ImageForge on the PC to be good... but there are lots and lots, and most of you probably have your own favorites already downloaded.

Make sure the images you produce are clear, but try to keep them as small as possible, by just clipping out the relevant bits.

Screen video recording
Good videos will be key to winning this competition. While images are helpful, a lot of strategy is about the sequence you do things in, and a video is often the clearest way to present that, especially for greenies.

There are a variety of freeware and shareware screen recording and movie-editing programs out there you can use to create your movie files. Here's a list of a few I've run across (though I haven't used them all):
ACA Screen Recorder
AVIEdit
AVITricks
FadeToBlack
HyperCam
1stScreenRecorder

As with the image production, please try to find a good balance between file size and file clarity, and edit your movie files to be focused.

Public Host Space

For posting your image and movie files, once you've produced them on your computer, you'll need to find hosting space. If you have on-line storage space associated with your email or other computer accounts, you can of course use that. But there are also public sites which provide on-line storage space.

Some of these are direct-link sites, allowing others to go directly to your file. Others have a little "commercial" page they force the user to go through. If you can, find a direct-link site... but having to use an indirect-link site won't be held against you. Also, some sites only host the files for a limited period of time, so make sure your file will continue to be available until the end of the competition.

There are lots of sites out there; some of these are:
Photobucket
4shared
eSnips
Crazefiles
Keepmyfile
Putfile
Rapidshare
100megsfree

JUDGES' GUIDE

Qualified Entries

To qualify for prize consideration, an entry must fulfill the basic requirements outlined above. To wit:
(1) Overview of the puzzle: its moves, pieces and objectives.
(2) Presentation of general strategy
(3) Analysis, with visual illustration, of specific moves/strategies
(4) Strategic discussions ranging from basic to expert
(5) An example(s) of a full puzzling session (as appropriate)
(6) A fair number of links

Remember -- the good tutorials are those which pull together and (ideally) add to the existing publically-available information, not those which merely slap together a few basic comments and images.

Judging

Award, on a scale of 0-10, points for each of the categories:

(1) Clarity: 0 = Confusing and murky -- 10 = clear, well thought out, step-by-step presentation
(2) Comprehensiveness: 0 = covers only parts of the strategy -- 10 = thorough presentation of strategy from basic moves to expert puzzling techniques
(3) Contribution: 0 = adds nothing beyond the basic info in the in-game instructions itself -- 10 = pulls together the majority of tips and techniques out there and expands upon them by systematizing these various insights and/or adding to them.
(4) Illustrations: 0 = none -- 10 = copious, which each basic point or technique being accompanied by a supporting illustration.
(5) Presentation: 0 = poorly formatted and organized -- 10 = well and clearly organized & formatted, making it easy both to follow when reading and to return to to find specific points.
(6) Research: 0 = nothing beyond the YPPedia -- 3 = nothing beyond the YPPedia and the additional links found in the collections noted above -- 10 = copious links showing diligent combing of the forums for posts on tricks and strategies.

These scores will be used to generate a weighted average which will be the judge "score" of the puzzle. As indicated above, only those entries with an adequate score will be considered for prizes beyond the top three.

Mail to me (at astrolabeypp@yahoo.ca ) your estimation of whether a tutorial is complete enough even to qualify for consideration, and your scoring of those puzzles you think do qualify.

F.A.Q.

Q: Do I submit a tutorial for all puzzles in each group of just one?
A: Just one. However you may submit as many separate tutorials as you wish. Be warned, however, that what with images and videos, the *best* tutorials will require a fair bit of work. You may have more chance of winning a prize if you focus your time on a few good tutorials rather than submitting a greater number of mediocre ones.

Q: Do I have to produce videos? What if I'm doing a tutorial for an aspect of the game for which videos are irrelevant?
A: The focus of this competition is on the dynamic puzzles. Many of the "other" category (e.g. guide to OICing a pillage etc) will also benefit from videos... visually showing how commands are entered etc. If you're really doing something for which you judge videos either irrelevant -- or no more helpful than a series of still images -- then, no, you don't have to do videos. Entries will be judged on how effectively the graphics illustrate and help, not on the format of the graphics themselves.

Q: Can I submit joke entries?
A: There could be lots of funny tutorials... especially for some of the social aspects of the game (cf. the wiki-discussion forum for this competition). For this event, however, please keep your entries serious. If there's sufficient interest (and I manage to get some more donations -- and if this event goes off well), I may run a subsequent competition for the silliest tutorial...
----------------------------------------
ASTROLABE

To tl;dr-ers... is this because you have the attention span of a stunned badger or the intelligence of one? :-P

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Edit 15 times, last edit by Astrolabe1 at Mar 16, 2006 1:12:35 PM]
[Feb 24, 2006 4:12:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

Re: [Forums] Puzzle Tutorial Contest -- All Oceans -- Lots of Big Prizes! Reply to this Post

bump. ;-)
ASTROLABE

To tl;dr-ers... is this because you have the attention span of a stunned badger or the intelligence of one? :-P

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Feb 27, 2006 10:49:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Re: [Forums] Puzzle Tutorial Contest -- All Oceans -- Lots of Big Prizes! Reply to this Post

Can I enter something for the editor under Miscellanea, or is that just not eligible?
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Feb 27, 2006 11:15:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

Sure, the more entries the merrier!

As the judging is going to be geared toward guides for the puzzles, it may be less likely that such a tutorial would win one of the top prizes, but by putting things in "categories" for the "semi-finals", and by having the two wild cards, I'm hoping that really good entries for less strictly "puzzle" contests will have a good shot at the "semi-finals" of prizes at any rate....

And, of course, a really great tutorial, even if it doesn't win a prize, would still be fair game for public posting after the event -- thus still helping the whole YPP community, which is a good thing too.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Feb 27, 2006 12:13:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

How would a video help the "run a shop" section? I can't see anything better than screenshots for that, what am I missing?
"We're trying to find the error bars on that number"

Dylan wrote: 
Why buy sham poo when real poo is so readily available

[Feb 27, 2006 8:36:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

I think the right selection of screen shots -- especially if you use a drawing program to circle/highlight each area of interest as you discuss it or step through the process -- would do the trick on this one, yes.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Feb 28, 2006 10:31:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

Just so ye don't think yer event is being ignored... I have an idea, and I'm going to *try* to get it done by the deadline. I'll be working right up to the wire on it I'm sure..... (giving midterms, trying to participate or observe each of the E2 events, and me spring break starts March 11th).
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Feb 28, 2006 11:04:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gloraelin

Are there any updates as to how we enter final entries? Also... echoing Mr. Curtai, if what we're explaining doesn't lend itself to videos (see my previous example), will we be judged DOWN for not having video? That's the main concern I have at this point.
Jen wrote: 
yes glor.. your boobs are vuluptously awesome.

Ye have received a trade request from Thunderbird.
Those two offers are identical, what's the point?

[Feb 28, 2006 11:45:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.livejournal.com/users/gloraelin/    gloraelin    gloraelin [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Even worse -- how can we enter a shop tutorial with screen shots without our name on everything we do?

grumble grumble grumble -- REALLY doing a shop tutorial properly involves starting with lots of money, no employees, showing the shop going through growth, people placing orders, the time for the escrows to clear, and following price cycles/spikes. That's ...

It would take me at least a month to empty my profitable stall without getting bleeped on the prices I get for my commodities; then, another two months to follow the price cycles to rebuy commodities needed to produce stuff cheap enough to make a profit. I'm not kidding -- three months would do a better job. I can do it in two because I already know the price levels, ** for that ocean and island **. Different oceans have different target prices; different islands have different supply factors.

In two weeks I can present the ideas/information/etc, but I cannot give real examples step by step -- heck, I can't even take someone through one tax cycle for Lorandite.

Dylan wrote: 

[Feb 28, 2006 5:55:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
treepirate88

I can't seem to find the due date in your post or when this contest is over.

Can you direct me to where it is, and if not tell me?
Expendable - Malachite
Lock it up.
Apollo says, "Expendable, I will now spank you with extreme prejudice"
[Feb 28, 2006 6:48:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squashbuckle

Wow... I'll be trying to do a carp tutorial of course.

I see you want videos, but in carp, sequential still shots can tell at least as much as a video (maybe more, since it gives the reader time to think about the images). Obviously I can record a video so people can watch me carp, but even with a voice over (which I currently have no idea how to add), I'm not sure it will fit into my tutorial plan. I am also not sure it will provide any insight that sequential still shots won't provide.

With all of that in mind, will puzzle-specific media choices be considered? When I was learning the puzzle, I found video was incredibly important in distilling, for instance, but surprizingly unimportant in guns.

Another problem is, many good tutorials already exist for most puzzles. I realize you want new unique entries, so a couple of questions:

1) Will you be cross-checking with the wiki and existing forum posts to make sure that entries are unique and not just cut-and-pasted lists of existing puzzle tips?

2) Can you - if you raise enough poe - add a category for existing tutorials to be honored with poe and perhaps trinkets? I would be willing to make a donation (on Midnight or Cobalt - I have no doubloon ocean poe) to help that out. There are some fantastic tutorials already written. I know I owe my legendary guns to Javoch, who wrote this fantastic tutorial. I doubt anyone could do as well without being significantly derivative.
Polly
Hunter
Captain of Flocktarts

[Edit 2 times, last edit by Squashbuckle at Feb 28, 2006 7:03:31 PM]
[Feb 28, 2006 6:54:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

Even worse -- how can we enter a shop tutorial with screen shots without our name on everything we do?

yeah, that's true. And, frankly, I think the judges are reliable and objective people... but I wanted as much anonymity as possible to make sure there could be no question about it.

In principle, you could blank out the name on the shop, especially if you're just doing screen shots -- but that's probably more work than it's worth. It's up to you.

grumble grumble grumble -- REALLY doing a shop tutorial properly involves starting with lots of money, no employees, showing the shop going through growth, people placing orders, the time for the escrows to clear, and following price cycles/spikes.

Good point -- that's very true.

However, you *can* describe that process of tracking prices. Also, if you use the tax graphs at rustyscupper, you can show how prices change over time, even if you don't have screenies from the stall to show it.

Also, there probably should be, over the course of a week or two, enough of a spike or dip in one or two key commodities that you could use screenies to show the difference... and then the discussion & tax graphs could generalize the ideas over time.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Feb 28, 2006 8:06:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

if what we're explaining doesn't lend itself to videos (see my previous example), will we be judged DOWN for not having video? That's the main concern I have at this point.

What'll be judged is how effectively the visual aids illustrate your presentation and help the newbie to understand the puzzle.

For the dynamic puzzles, obviously the videos of the puzzle in action (bilge, SF, distilling, etc) will make things a lot clearer (especially to the relatively inexperienced player) than still shots would.

But for some of these "miscellanea", like the stall management etc, a series of screen-shot segments would (it seems to me) make things just as cleear as a video would... perhaps even clearer, depending on how you do it.

So, no, it's not "three videos and 2 images is better than 7 images" -- it's a question, rather, of whether your illustrative material adequately and effectively presents the point you're making.

I realize I've emphasized the videos a bit, mainly because I was thinking chiefly in terms of sections A-C. I'll tweak the contest description a bit now, as there seems to be substantial interest in the "miscellanea" category.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Feb 28, 2006 8:11:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

[quote]I can't seem to find the due date in your post or when this contest is over.[quote]

Midnight march 13th. It's right above the "Guideline for Entries" section in the event description... but perhaps easy to overlook in such a long post.

I'll put a summary of key info at the top of that post, once a few outstanding ambiguities are resolved with feedback from OMs and E2 coordinators.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Feb 28, 2006 8:13:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

Obviously I can record a video so people can watch me carp, but even with a voice over (which I currently have no idea how to add), I'm not sure it will fit into my tutorial plan.

If it fits and works well... great! If not, don't sweat it.

With all of that in mind, will puzzle-specific media choices be considered? When I was learning the puzzle, I found video was incredibly important in distilling, for instance, but surprizingly unimportant in guns.

Yes, the issue is whether the illustrations (images or video) effectively communicate the strategies etc. So if images work as well or better than video, use videos.

Do keep in mind that some people may be more "video"-oriented on certain puzzles than others... so what might not make a difference for you might for them. For example, I agree with you that video would probably not add a lot to a carp tutorial (though I'd want to try it and see)... but I can imagine video for guns being very helpful -- greenies have trouble visualizing how the shot/powder/wad _move_, and seeing them make their turns as you guide them into big or small circles could be very helpful.

1) Will you be cross-checking with the wiki and existing forum posts to make sure that entries are unique and not just cut-and-pasted lists of existing puzzle tips?

Yes. Realize that part of each entry is a "links" section, which should link to anything used. I already have a substantial collection of those links for my own use, so it'll be easy for me to check.

Realize, that a tutorial (if really well done) _could_ win if it give no "new" information, but simply does a great job of consolidating and illustrating the ideas already out there. For many of the puzzles, there are several places you have to go, and posts to pour through, and different presentations to assimilate, just to get a good sense of the overall strategy.

A tutorial which streamlines and illustrates that process has already contributed to the ocean community, even if the author doesn't add additional strategic insights of his or her own.

2) Can you - if you raise enough poe - add a category for existing tutorials to be honored with poe and perhaps trinkets?

Trinkets are beyond my power (being up to the OMs... I suck at all tourney puzzles and have no trinkets of my own other than skulls and cards)... and unless I suddenly get several 100k unexpectedly, I'm using donations to make the awards as big as possible for the new submissions -- because they *are* a lot of work to do well.

However, this is a really great idea... to award those who've already given tutorials to the ocean.

There has been some discussion with the E2 people of having an after-contest contest for "silly" tutorials.

Perhaps I or someone else could see about raising poe to have a forum-wide nominate & vote or some such thing for existing tutorials as a second after-E2 contest?

Could work out really well... but not, I think, in the context of this particular contest, which is already complicated enough! ;-)

But I see no reason such an event couldn't be done after this one... especially if this one helps bring those excellent existing tutorials to more people's attention.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Feb 28, 2006 8:24:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jmucchiello

Two weeks seems like insufficient time to create these tutorials.

Also, I think you should have put more restrictions on formatting so that when the tutorials go live they follow a similar format and thus someone reading a set of tutorials knows the order in which the information will be presented. One of the hardest things about creating instructional material is making each section sound as if it comes from the same voice and not the different voices of each expert.
Colorbeard on all the Oceans
SO of Six Leagues Under (Midnight)
FO of SPAM (Cobalt)
[Mar 1, 2006 1:38:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shandra

Also, I think you should have put more restrictions on formatting so that when the tutorials go live they follow a similar format and thus someone reading a set of tutorials knows the order in which the information will be presented. One of the hardest things about creating instructional material is making each section sound as if it comes from the same voice and not the different voices of each expert.

Due to this being an E2 event, it is on a timeline that was not chosen by Astro. HIS deadline to have this contest judged and prized out is the 19. He and his selected judges will need time to review the submitted materials and judge them.
Taco - teh one and only

Deer season hell, I'm waiting for stupid season to open.
[Mar 1, 2006 5:25:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Was any thought given to the wiki when this event was being pursued? :-/

Not to be a wet blanket, but it might be helpful to set up your own namespace/categories/boilerplates for the event, because otherwise it'll get messy sorting out entries from existing tutorials and underlining that some tutorials may, in fact, be completely wrong.

Namespace will be the easiest one, and all it means is that instead of appearing at /wiki/randomname424345, it'll appear at /wiki/Tutorialcontest:name

Categories are also fairly easy. It's just a matter of adding something like

[[Category:Tutorial Contest Entry]]
to the bottom of the pages. This means every entry links to the category page, and the category page links to every entry, which should make judging and organizing a bit easier.
(see new post for information)

Re: Boilerplates, that just means a disclaimer at the top of the page... something like "Please note that this article is an entry in the Puzzle Tutorial Contest, and not a standard wiki entry. Please do not edit it unless you are the entrant, or you are correcting technical issues. (The textual and graphical content must remain the same.) Also, the information provided may or may not be factually correct. Use this tutorial at your own discretion."

Should be easy enough to set up, but if you need a hand, bug one of the administrators (Guppymomma, fiddler, and thunderbird spring to mind) or myself in PM.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 1, 2006 1:01:36 PM]
[Mar 1, 2006 6:33:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

I agree -- but I'm limited by the E2 schedule. This has been posted for some weeks in the E2 wiki pages during development.

For some reason, some of the E2 events got posted to the notice board 5 or 6 days before the others did, so those events got an extra weekend of advertisement that this one didn't -- frustrating for me too, I can assure you! But again, that's out of my hands -- and even the E2 managers; that's an OM thing.

So I'm sorry the timing isn't good for you -- unfortunately, that's what I was given to work with too.

Also, I think you should have put more restrictions on formatting so that when the tutorials go live they follow a similar format and thus someone reading a set of tutorials knows the order in which the information will be presented.

I considered this but decided against it for several reasons. First, I don't want to interfere with entrant's creative freedom. Second, there are enough different possible sorts of tutorials that trying to come up with a "standardized" format for them would be trying to make one shoe fit all size feet. It wouldn't work. Sure, you could come up with a template which worked, more or less, for sailing & bilging tutorials -- but what about a shop-running tutorial? What about an OIC tutorial? Etc.

By providing the list, as I did, of "suggested" content, a certain consistency will be generated. Beyond that, however, it's up to the contestants to decide what format of presentation best communicates their ideas.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Mar 1, 2006 8:22:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kerix

With the upcoming mug changes, I fear any tutorial on drinking will be made quickly obsolete.... any comment?
[Mar 1, 2006 8:47:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

With the upcoming mug changes, I fear any tutorial on drinking will be made quickly obsolete.... any comment?

Not much I can do about the devs tweaking the program... and, of course, any future change will affect current tutorials. (Why some of the existing ones are out of date and need updating.)

I've never bothered working to learn the drinking puzzle (I seem to suck at all tourney puzzles and haven't felt it worth the time to work on them, at least not so far), but my impression is that the strategy will be the same, even with the new mug changes.

Also, isn't it only 2 or 3 mugs being tweaked?

My guess (correct me if I'm wrong) is that most of the tutorial -- including sections discussing particular strategies for un-going-to-be-changed mugs -- would remain unaffected, meaning that most of a drinking tutorial created under current rules would continue to be very helpful... and, in fact, that it'd be fairly easy to update such a tutorial once people had developed a "feel" for the changed mugs.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Mar 1, 2006 9:13:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

(edited out)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 2, 2006 8:28:55 AM]
[Mar 1, 2006 1:02:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tcarr

For your work over the next weeks, create a "dummy" Wikipedia page on the YPPedia. (You could call it something like Slartibartfast2074... something random no one will look up.) Edit and tailor your work here as you prepare it for submission.

Your submission will be posted in a way to keep it anonymous, so the judges don't know who you are. Details to follow here shortly, once they're verified.
... snip...
Also, to assist fair judging, PLEASE use an alt pirate in your images and movies so that your "real" pirate name doesn't appear in the images or movies. Likewise the url names or locations used to save these files.

Do I post me entry while logged on as me usual Wiki username? (if i don't, how do i prove that it's mine? if i do, then judges can easily find out who posted it, even if i don't put me name on it)

I can use an alt pirate, sure, and even hide his name. Do I need to hide names of ships and crews? (or mebbe just make sure any shipname that shows is one that isn't renamed?)

/me debates putting images etc on a temporary website, requiring later editing of the Wiki pages to point to new images, vs hosting them on me usual "pirate stuff" website... hmmm.....

ah well - twill be most of a week afore i'm ready to put anything on a Wiki page anyway. getting the animations working the way i want to will take a lot of time.
LordKalvan of Otherwhen, all oceans but mostly Midnight
[Mar 1, 2006 1:59:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

Is it OK to post the address of my work-in-progress to ask for feedback and improvements? The template says,

Consult this tutorial at your own risk until judging is completed. If you wish to discuss this tutorial or provide feedback, please use the talk page.

So can I show what I have for feedback?

Dylan wrote: 

[Mar 1, 2006 4:53:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

For your work over the next weeks, create a "dummy" Wikipedia page on the YPPedia. (You could call it something like Slartibartfast2074... something random no one will look up.) Edit and tailor your work here as you prepare it for submission.

Warning -- Even if you put your page in a sepertate name space, the "Recent changes" link on the front page will show your work in progress for easy access.

Dylan wrote: 

[Mar 1, 2006 5:45:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
moon_howl

can you please provide a link to the entry thread? plz and thankies =)
Princess of the flag Latin Revolution
Visit Pandaxee's Art Shop and order an avatar! *I will accept money on all oceans*
http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=720520#720520
[Mar 1, 2006 11:56:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Sunny_Priestess    amkids642 [Link]  Go to top 
BehindCurtai

There is no entry "thread".

You put your entry on the Ypp wiki.

Dylan wrote: 

[Mar 2, 2006 12:16:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://StrictConstitution.BlogSpot.Com [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

Please do NOT use the TutorialContest template -- I did not set that up and am only now finding out about it on this forum. It is (at least for the moment) NOT an approved part of this Event!!!

It will, as another user rightly points out, destroy anonymity, if you are concerned to keep it -- not to mention letting all other entrants browse the works-in-progress and (if they're malicious) steal your ideas.

Instead please follow the instructions in the Event itself:

In other words, you can use the wiki to see how your entry will look, but you give it a name that no one will be likely to look at, and it is NOT linked into a category grouping which would allow anyone to see all the in-progress entries.

Do I post me entry while logged on as me usual Wiki username? (if i don't, how do i prove that it's mine? if i do, then judges can easily find out who posted it, even if i don't put me name on it)

Yes, use your usual Wiki username.

Since no one will be looking up "Slartibartfast" or "TeutEbry" or whatever random name you give to the work-in-progress page, no one will be likely see it. It can be "proved" to be yours, because your name will be in the edit history.

So the "text" portion is (relatively) safe.

When it comes time for submissions to the judges, I will simply cut-paste all your text into a new Wiki page which will be the official entry. It won't have your name in the history, only mine. I will know what it's a copy of, and who submitted it, the judges will not.

I can use an alt pirate, sure, and even hide his name. Do I need to hide names of ships and crews?

Entirely up to you... the judges are trustworthy, but the more anonymous your entry, the fewer reservations anyone could raise.

getting the animations working the way i want to will take a lot of time.

If you have any additional shareware/freeware you know of which helps in movie or animation production/editing, please post a link here to help out others.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Mar 2, 2006 7:50:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Astrolabe1

Warning -- Even if you put your page in a sepertate name space, the "Recent changes" link on the front page will show your work in progress for easy access.

Yes, nothing on the wiki is going to be 100% private... but at least it can be made more so with the dummy name.

In fact, what people could do, if they're particularly concerned, is keep their work in an off-line text file, paste it in to the wiki, "preview" the page (to see how it looks) and then cancel without submission.
ASTROLABE

My HWFO post
Pillaging anecdotes
[Mar 2, 2006 7:59:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Astrolabe1 wrote: 

Creating a dummy page, with a random name, with no identification to its purpose, that for the most part will duplicate the existing puzzle tutorials is the best way to have the page deleted quickly by the administrators. (In fact, we may have deleted one entry already because of the lack of identifcation.)

Since no one will be looking up "Slartibartfast" or "TeutEbry" or whatever random name you give to the work-in-progress page, no one will be likely see it.

Very incorrect. The Recent changes pages is viewed daily, if not more often, by the admins. I know that it's my toolbar link to the YPPedia.

Yes, use your usual Wiki username.

PLEASE use an alt pirate in your images and movies so that your "real" pirate name doesn't appear in the images or movies.

Your concern for both anonymity and verificiation of the ID of the entrants seems contradictory.

keep your draft in a separate text file

A better idea, to keep both anonymity and verify the user, is to draft the tutorial at the unofficial wiki . Users will need to create a new account, and then when they're ready to submit they can send you an e-mail linking the wikicities user with their player name. This will allow entrants to create their entries in total anonymity and near secrecy (there's a Recent Changes page there too, so any activity will be visible) , as only the people reading this thread will have any idea to look over there.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Fiddler at Mar 2, 2006 8:32:22 AM]
[Mar 2, 2006 8:27:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 82   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates