• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 283
Posts: 283   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 35909 times and has 282 replies Next Thread
Synful

[Finished!]Avast!Animation-Win a familiar! Winners on pg 8 Reply to this Post

Here is your chance to try something new and win a lime octopus! What is it, you ask? Avast! Animation! Also known as stop-motion animation. Its so easy to do, even I can do it!

Your task in this event is to make a short, stop-motion animation that tells a story, is creative, is humorous, and flows well from transition to transition. Your animation should be about Puzzle Pirates either the game now, the past, or what you'd like it to be in the future. As long as the judges can tell that its based on Puzzle Pirates you're good to go.

It works by shooting a single frame, stopping the camera to move the object a little bit, and then shooting another frame. When the film runs continuously at 24 frames per second, the illusion of fluid motion is created and the objects appear to move by themselves.

Here is a wonderful example of stop-motion animation.

To help you along the way, here are some tools you will need.

Any medium you choose, legos, toys, clay, popsicle figures, cardboard figures, you name it.

Web-cam, video cam, digital cam, scanner if you cannot upload directly. You can also use a regular camera and have the photos loaded onto a disk at time of development.

Stop-motion software. Some webcams(like Logitech) offers free software with their product to do stop-motion. This is how I was introduced to stop-motion animation. But, here are a couple of free programs you can use.

Windows-MonkeyJam

Mac-AnimAide

You will also need to host your animation somewhere so here are a couple of links that allow larger space.

Putfile.com Allows 25megs each file supporting Video files.

100megsfree Although I am not positive, I am fairly certain they support the file extentions you will need to upload.

Others tools you will need: your imagination!

How to Enter:
After making your stop-motion animation, upload it to a website. If you don't have your own, see above links. Post the link to your entry in this thread along with your pirate name and ocean of play. I strongly suggest compressing your file to mpeg or quicktime as they still hold the quality of the file and use less space. Entries must be posted no later than noon pst(gametime) on Friday, March 17th. Be careful not to edit your entry after this time, I can find out when your last edit was on a webpage.

What the judges will be looking for in a winning entry:
Story-does your stop-motion tell a story? How well do you succeed in telling your story?

Humor-tickle our funny bones! The oceans have been far too serious lately.

Creative Uniqueness-How original is your idea? Is it the same-o same-o or is it fresh?

Technical Quality How fluid is your animation? Do your frames jump too fast or are they smoother?

Prizes:

First place- a lime octopus on the ocean of your choice!
Second place- a sleeping pig or tortoise
Third place- Shell trinket of your choice.

Top 5 places will be awarded a ribbon.

Other questions you may have:
Q: Is there a time limit on entries?
A: Entries should be able to tell a story no matter how long or short your entry is. You are limited by your imagination, time, and webspace to host your entry on.
Q: How do I use the program for stop-motion animation?
A: Each one varies so you will need to read the help documentation that comes with the program.
Q: Am I limited to whats in the game now?
A: No, as long as we know its about Puzzle Pirates, you can do what you wish. Fact or fantasy, its up to you.
Q: May I enter more than once?
A: I won't stop you from entering more than once, but remember, quality over quantity. Its a lot of work involved in a small amount of time so I would prefer you work on one entry and make it the best!
Q: Can I receive my prize if I am awarded one on any ocean?
A: Yes, as long as you post in your entry thread the ocean you want to receive your prize on.
If you have any other questions not answered here, please post in this thread.
Q: May I use an editing program to clean up my animation?
A: You may remove things from your animation like strings or sticks or other things you may use to make things fly, but you may not add anything into the animation like swipes, fades, or backgrounds or other things that should be set in the scene. It is alright to use a blank or one color frame or set of frames to separate your scenes. It is also ok to add chat or dialogue as long as its minimal and you may also add music if you want, but that won't give you bonus points.
Q: May we use flash or another editor program to make things really neat?
A: I prefer you don't. I want to see you playing with your toys, your kids toys, your neighbors toys, or what have ye and I want to see you set your scenes not through a computer program. Technical merit is only 10% of the total score.

This is an E2 event and feedback is encouraged by all entrants. Deadline for feedback is at 11:59 pm, March 22nd.

Well, what are you waiting for? Get started!
----------------------------------------
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Synful at Mar 19, 2006 6:01:06 AM]
[Feb 21, 2006 6:05:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Swazzorama

Re: [All Oceans]Avast!Animation-Win a familiar! Deadline March 17th, 2006 Reply to this Post

Any medium you choose, legos, toys, clay, popsicle figures, cardboard figures, you name it.

Oh. Yes.
Swazzy

Hunter

"The only thing we should fear is Swazzy..."
[Feb 21, 2006 6:09:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Re: [All Oceans]Avast!Animation-Win a familiar! Deadline March 17th, 2006 Reply to this Post

Man I was really hoping we'd have a little more time with this. I want to enter soooo bad but I'm uber busy..
/me buys an expresso machine and goes at it!
Good luck everyone, this should be great :D
The Infamous Feline Pirate
Kitt on Cobalt

Rehio says, "Yes, O Mistress"
[Feb 21, 2006 6:52:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
rfleming71

Just one question.
How far can we go with computer editing?
[Feb 21, 2006 9:38:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaits

/me gathers up all the legos in the house

Muahahahaahahahhaha!

~Ana
Viridian - Anabanana - Officer and Poet of RLS Legacy under the flag Pay for Play
Hunter - Kaits - Officer and Poet of Pitch Black under the flag of The Eye

Oringinalsexy says, "anabanana who do you think you are? Hypnos?"

[Feb 21, 2006 10:58:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Just one question.
How far can we go with computer editing?

You can clean your pictures up on the computer, but other than that, the animation must be from the stop-motion not another animation program.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2006 5:20:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

Is 24 frames per second required?

Television is around 29.97 fps. And most animation is shot on twos anyways, where one frame is shot twice.

Persistence of vision theory generally says that 10 fps is the minimum rate on the flicker fusion threshold.

Also, as far as computer editing: I assume that using a program for actual "editing" is fine? Piecing things together and making dissolves and such?
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Feb 22, 2006 7:55:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

Is 24 frames per second required?

Television is around 29.97 fps. And most animation is shot on twos anyways, where one frame is shot twice.

Persistence of vision theory generally says that 10 fps is the minimum rate on the flicker fusion threshold.

Also, as far as computer editing: I assume that using a program for actual "editing" is fine? Piecing things together and making dissolves and such?

24 fps seems a bit much to me as well. We aren't pro's at this, and I'm sure many of us have never even done this before. I can't even imagine how many frames total that would require for just a minute long film strip, much less anything more. Should there even be a 'requirement?' Perhaps just.. if it works it works?
Kitt on Cobalt

[Feb 22, 2006 8:02:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

That's generally what I meant. I doubt anyone will be checking fps, but I wanted to make sure that shooting at 12 was fine.
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Feb 22, 2006 8:05:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Shoot as many or as little frames as you wish. Technical merit actually holds the least in judging, we're going for more creativity and humor and storyline here.

Explain to me what you mean by piecing things together in another editor. Also, are you talking about wiping as in scene changes?
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2006 8:09:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ishbash

hmm i still have a lot of lego kicking around :D
Pffff.....
[Feb 22, 2006 8:12:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaalvoet

I have a question for adding very specific small computer-edits. For example, in the example you provided there's a scene with cannonball fire, and I could certainly be wrong, but I'm thinking that's been added in afterwards? Wondering if things like that are ok, because I'm unsure how I would create a stop motion animation of cannon's flying through the air without my fingers or something getting in the way.
Kitt on Cobalt

[Feb 22, 2006 8:18:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    PinkxLimonade [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

As in any kind of film editing, say you want to switch back and forth between shots (seperate camera angles)

I was talking about dissolves as transitions, actually - but wipes are fair game too. A fade-in as the other shot fades out is called a "cross-dissolve" and it's a basic video editor function.

[Feb 22, 2006 8:21:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I"ll go ahead and say yes to both, but I want the majority of this to be stop-motion.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2006 8:26:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

So you're allowing the film to be created with stop motion and then be digitally enhanced using video editing software?

Scene transitioning and effects can be used using After Effects/Cinema and other additional software.

I would think in all fairness the software be limited to only the stop motion software with no digital enhancements only the editing of frame content that the software is limited to.
[Feb 22, 2006 9:22:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

I agree. You'd be AMAZED at what technical enhancements can do to an otherwise so-so video to make it appear to be much better than it is, especially when comparing it to one that didn't have the benefit of a good editor.

I used to judge music videos a lot, back before everyone could edit their stuff on a PC, and trust me, whoever had the capability of digital editing pretty much always got the audience votes, even if there was a better video that was put together with string and bubblegum. It was a really tough challenge to judge the videos based off their merit alone, vs the technical skill with which it was created. We eventually had to create a separate "technical merit" prize to deal with this.

Worse yet, most people don't have a firm grasp on what makes good usage of these fade/wipe effects, and I've seen some videos that have made me ill because there was a wipe every second.

I kind of like the idea of a "no-frills" contest. Sure, use an editor to stitch the frames together, but keep the fancy stuff out. Or, if too many people complain, limit it to, say, 2 fades/wipes per video. That way, at least you can fade in at the beginning and fade out at the end, or judiciously use the one from the start somewhere else.

My 2 poe.

Emerson,
wishing he could enter, but not having pirate legos, a decent digital camera, or enough time to do this.
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Edit 2 times, last edit by emerson at Feb 22, 2006 10:27:47 AM]
[Feb 22, 2006 10:26:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yaarg

Worse yet, most people don't have a firm grasp on what makes good usage of these fade/wipe effects, and I've seen some videos that have made me ill because there was a wipe every second.

Hehe like star wars episode 3 :)

What about backgrounds, are they allowed to be added afterwards? I have some stop-frame animation software, which although it's not freeware, it's relatively cheap (as software goes) which allows substituting a colour for a picture. This could be seen as 'cleaning up' which was said to be allowed earlier. Another thing would be speech, are subtitles allowed? or adding speech bubbles?
[Edit 1 times, last edit by yaarg at Feb 22, 2006 11:41:03 AM]
[Feb 22, 2006 11:31:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Hehe like star wars episode 3 :)

What about backgrounds, are they allowed to be added afterwards? I have some stop-frame animation software, which although it's not freeware, it's relatively cheap (as software goes) which allows substituting a colour for a picture. This could be seen as 'cleaning up' which was said to be allowed earlier. Another thing would be speech, are subtitles allowed? or adding speech bubbles?

Ok, let me make this clearer. Technical merit, which would include the scene fades, etc. is the lowest percentage of the score. Nobody can win off that with the best marks alone. Also, we're looking for more stop-motion than fancy swipes and fades. Those are not the transitions I spoke of. The transitions I'm speaking of, is say for example, I want a teddy bear to climb on a chair then off the chair. If I take the frame of the teddy bear off the chair, then on the chair then off the chair, it will jump and not be smooth in transition. That is what I'm speaking of here when I refer to transitions.

I have no problem with you giving speech to your stop-motion but I also don't want it to be riddled with words. Let the action tell the story, you'll score higher.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2006 12:07:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spiny

That is what I'm speaking of here when I refer to transitions. .

Ah, I think this is where some of the confusion is coming from. A transition is the term for the jump between scenes (eg fading out), NOT frames. I suggest you edit your original post to say:

Quality of animation- How fluid is your animation? Do your frames jump too fast or are they smoother?
Spiny, Viridian
[Feb 22, 2006 2:00:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

That is what I'm speaking of here when I refer to transitions. .

Ah, I think this is where some of the confusion is coming from. A transition is the term for the jump between scenes (eg fading out), NOT frames. I suggest you edit your original post to say:

Quality of animation- How fluid is your animation? Do your frames jump too fast or are they smoother?

Done :) and thank you.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2006 2:05:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

I guess I am asking is if once the film is shot using stop motion software, can we take that film and re-edit it and make cosmetic changes using additional frame editing software such as adobe after effects or practically any video editing software capable of frame manipulation. Some stop motion software lets u extract single frames and let you replace them and this is where I think the editing could play a big role.

In the entry should we include all animation software used as well?

If you ever watch adult swim and see robot chicken, they use stop motion animation and then re-edit it to make it more fluid which means that the video is in the hands of the software and not in the director.

On a side note:
Also, I think the time frame for this event should be extended a week solely because there is a great deal involved in shooting stop motion video and it can take hours and hours to do something of quality that only runs for 2-3 minutes when u have to deal with individual frames.

Maybe Tippler can better explain this as he is a master at stop motion as his forum videos have demonstrated.

Reference: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=408861#408861

Tippler's work : http://www.postbrickfilms.com/muteman/

Here is also Yawl's video that he did for a previous YPP animation contest
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/rolok/YPP/adventureisland1.wmv
[Edit 4 times, last edit by d4rk0n3 at Feb 22, 2006 5:12:59 PM]
[Feb 22, 2006 4:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I'm not ignoring you, Muffbeard. I'll have a more definitive answer ASAP. For now, go ahead and concentrate on setting your scenes and thinking of your storylines.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 22, 2006 6:18:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

I'm not ignoring you, Muffbeard. I'll have a more definitive answer ASAP. For now, go ahead and concentrate on setting your scenes and thinking of your storylines.

Didn't think u were, just putting together a storyline and want an idea of my limitations =)

Edit: A cool way to do it if you own a digital camera.

Here's how to make a stop motion movie in Windows Movie Maker:

1.On the Tools menu, click Options. For Picture duration, click the spin control and select a duration that is less than one second, such as .125 seconds.

2. Make a new collection and then import the pictures that you want to use in your stop motion movie into the collection.

3. In the Contents pane, select each picture that you want to include in your stop motion movie.

4.Add the clips to the storyboard/timeline and then playback the storyboard/timeline.

5. If necessary, select the pictures on the storyboard/timeline, and then copy and paste them to add the same sequence of pictures to your project.

6. After editing your project, save the project as a movie.

Note To select consecutive files or clips when importing or selecting the pictures, click the first picture, press and hold down the SHIFT key, and then click the picture in the list. For pictures that are not consecutive, press and hold down the CTRL key, and then click each picture that you want to import, copy, or add to your project.

When using pictures from a digital camera, take the pictures of the object or person in the order in which you think they will appear in your stop motion movie and do not rename the pictures. When you import the pictures into Windows Movie Maker and arrange the icons by name, the pictures appear in the same order as when they were taken, and you can then just add them to the storyboard/timeline without moving or re-arranging the pictures
[Edit 2 times, last edit by d4rk0n3 at Feb 23, 2006 8:04:30 AM]
[Feb 22, 2006 6:38:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
freddunkins

what is the deal about sound? Is it required? Optional? Not allowed....?
Kevlar on Hunter
Former Captain of Southern Cross, Prince of Treasure Hunters. Died many months ago.
Reborn 3/5/08 and in the process of rebuilding my pirate
[Feb 23, 2006 9:37:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

what is the deal about sound? Is it required? Optional? Not allowed....?

I'd think adding sound to set the mood or to enhance the visual would be cool in the same way that Tipplers were done.

More theme music less dialogue =).
[Feb 23, 2006 9:49:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

Sound is not required but as D4rk0n3 says, it would enhance it, but totally not necessary.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Feb 23, 2006 10:46:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
deirdrem

Thank you very much for the tutorial on how to use digital camera with Windows Movie Maker. Very helpful, I made a couple of ceramic frogs do circles in no time :)

Trying to figure out how to add sound now.
"Who would believe such pleasure from a wee ball o' fur?"
[Feb 23, 2006 10:47:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ruined_ashes

Thank you very much for the tutorial on how to use digital camera with Windows Movie Maker. Very helpful
Trying to figure out how to add sound now.

Ditto'd :D Thanksx2
I sometimes do avatars!
Book on Obsidian
Bookly on Emerald
[Feb 23, 2006 1:25:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
sseth

Sorry, but it's still not entirely clear to me how far we are allowed to go with digital editing.
Let's say I want a "flying" cannonball in one scene. And I do the pics by hanging that canonball on a string, supporting it by a stick or whatever to get the pics done. Is it ok if I digitally remove supporting string/stick/stuff afterwards to make the illusion perfect?
Or is it even allowed to simply take a pic of the cannonball, cut it out and then digitally add it to the needed scenes?
Sseth

Frootloot, my short YPP animation film
[Feb 23, 2006 5:40:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yrrab2

Well all I did was just putting picture in a story way i dont know how to make a movie tried to follow the steps but useless
Weeding
[Feb 23, 2006 5:49:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 283   Pages: 10   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates