• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 136
Posts: 136   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 27373 times and has 135 replies Next Thread
kaosfere

Puzzle Pirates Diplomacy Game Reply to this Post

[Edited, original post below.]

We now have enough people for one game, and lots of people interested in a second one.

Ruddigore has volunteered to GM the first game, for which the following people have signed up:

Rummykins
Timm
Mlik
Scylira
Eggpirate
Cronk
Jerze

Those interested in a second game, which I have offered to master, are:

Dylan
Jimmyd
Himo
Quintillaz
Jacktheblack
Wellington
Rebeviper
Gothmog
Mars

Of those, the definite yesses (of which I now have 7!) are:

Rebeviper (England)
Quintillaz (Turkey)
Dylan
Wellington
Jimmyd
Falconed
Mars

I shall shortly start game 2 and PM the players the necessary information.

If anyone else is interested in playing in another game, feel free to post here, and we can get a 3rd started.

Original post follows:

Several of us in this thread are wanting to get together to play some online Diplomacy. Four people have already spoken up as being interested. If we can find three more, it'd be great.

Let's register and figure out where to play here. If you're willing to commit to a game, please post below with your pirate name (if it's not obvious) and any power preferences you may have. We'll figure out the rest as we go along.
----------------------------------------
I alone have the flet!
[Edit 10 times, last edit by kaosfere at Feb 4, 2006 9:44:51 AM]
[Jan 26, 2006 11:52:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
KingGoob

Re: Puzzle Pirates Diplomacy Game Reply to this Post

Just noting my interest again, sign me up.

Thanks Rummy!
Jack Handey wrote: 
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something.

[Jan 26, 2006 12:04:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

Mlik
Always up for a good board game.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Jan 26, 2006 12:17:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
Leeksoup

I'll play, if someone else shows me how..

Yeah, I'll probably end up being cannon fodder. Whee!
-Scylira, mostly retired
ponytailguy wrote: 
Yarr, me harties, let me go grab my knitting needles!

Math problems? Call 1-800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x].
[Jan 26, 2006 12:28:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
TracyMac777

Would it be possible for me to observe the first game to see how it works out, then possibly join future games? I haven't played this type of Diplomacy before, and I think doing this would answer some of my questions.
Juiceten - Born on Cobalt, raised on Viridian.

Big Slick Buccaneers

Greenie wrote: 
Any1 wanna bia badge?

[Jan 26, 2006 12:48:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
heggink1

I was just talking about Diplomacy with some friends the other day. Specifically our horribly booched attempts at actually playing a game...

I have played the game a handful of times, but never with more than 5 people, which has been less than ideal, especially with 4 or less... backstabbing is very different when it is your own back! ;)

So I would be interested in a game.

As far as powers go, I'm not too picky. I don't really care for Austria-Hungary, but if push comes to shove I can do that.

I had some questions, but you have indicated those will be sorted out as we go along, so nix those. Sign me up!

Eggpirate (Cobalt)
Eggpirate
SO Slow Children at Play - Cobalt
[Edit 1 times, last edit by heggink1 at Jan 26, 2006 12:51:43 PM]
[Jan 26, 2006 12:50:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

ahhhhhhh ahh ahhh ahh ahhhh hooked on a feeling wrote: 
Would it be possible for me to observe the first game to see how it works out, then possibly join future games? I haven't played this type of Diplomacy before, and I think doing this would answer some of my questions.

Certainly!
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 26, 2006 12:54:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Cronk

Count me in if you can handle a total n00b.
Cronk
-Much better than you in every way.
[Jan 26, 2006 1:08:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Dipping toe in water - but the time zone thingy might rule me out.
I'd love to be an observer for a bit.
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Jerze at Jan 26, 2006 1:12:20 PM]
[Jan 26, 2006 1:11:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingGoob

Dipping toe in water - but the time zone thingy might rule me out.
I'd love to be an observer for a bit.

The only games that I've played had a 5-day time limit per set of moves. If everyone's real active, that may be cut down, but time-zones shouldn't be any problem at all, I'd think.
Jack Handey wrote: 
If they ever come up with a swashbuckling school, I think one of the courses should be laughing, then jumping off something.

[Jan 26, 2006 1:17:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

Aye, internet games usually have a turn time on the order of days, so it won't be real-time, and time zones shouldn't be an issue.

If Jerze and Cronk are both in, we have 7. Neato.

How long a time do we want?

I generally like 2 days for moves, and one day for retreat and adjust, plus 24 hours of grace, when playing with active players. I'm fine with weekend play, as well. Thoughts?
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 26, 2006 1:29:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
heggink1

I agree. 2 moves/week sounds reasonable.
Eggpirate
SO Slow Children at Play - Cobalt
[Jan 26, 2006 1:53:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ruddigore

If you need a GM, I've mastered plenty of Judge games in the past (though admittedly not on USDP) Or I could hand-mod the game if you decide to go that route.
Ruthven, FO Yarr Talk, Cerulean
Despard, SO Fer Crown and Fortune, Emerald
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Ruddigore at Jan 26, 2006 2:17:31 PM]
[Jan 26, 2006 2:13:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

One of Gilbert and Sullivan's lesser known operas wrote: 
If you need a GM, I've mastered plenty of Judge games in the past (though admittedly not on USDP).

That'd be excellent. I've mailed the keeper of DPJudge asking for a master for a private game, but if you wanted to register there and run one for us, I'd love it. I'd be willing to trade off for round 2, if this becomes a regular thing.

Considering we have some new folks, I'd really like to use DPJudge, since the web-based maps and interface take alot of the confusion of an email judge out, and will let them focus on the game itself.
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 26, 2006 2:17:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

I tried to set up a game way back when, but only Artemis (and briefly Mars) turned up for the meeting:

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=100603#100603

So that died a natural death, but I'd still be keen to give it a go.

I've only played once, 15 years ago, and I was back-stabbed in 1902 (as England, by Russia, the eventual winner).

I'm available if we do play by e-mail with a fairly long time between turns (e.g. only a year per week, turns due monday and friday), or alternatively for a weekly session at the weekend, going through 3 or 4 years in 3 or 4 hours.

Another alternative would be to have 7 'captains' who may or may not have deputies. Especially for the first game!

Also, if there are a lot of new players, and I'd include myself in that category, perhaps have a lightning game (15 mins per turn, ends in Autumn 1905, less than 3 hours) to get people used to the game.

Dylan
[Jan 26, 2006 2:30:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ruddigore

kaosfere wrote: 
A bad Baronet wrote: 
If you need a GM, I've mastered plenty of Judge games in the past (though admittedly not on USDP).

That'd be excellent. I've mailed the keeper of DPJudge asking for a master for a private game, but if you wanted to register there and run one for us, I'd love it.

Not a problem. Anonymous or non-anonymous? Do you want to know who the pirate is who just backstabbed you, and be able to take your revenge on the ocean?

(These are the house rules I've used for the games I've GMed in the past; not all of the points will apply to the DPJudge interface, but it should give the general idea of the attitude I take.)
[Jan 26, 2006 2:57:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

The name sounded familiar, and then I realized... that's your Nethack Gazetteer! :)
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Jan 26, 2006 3:02:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

Those rules look agreeable.

I'd be in favor of non-anonymous play, but I'm fine either way, long as we unmask at the end if we go anonymous. What do the rest of y'all think?

Ruddigore, I'd suggest move 48/24, retreat 24/24, adjust 24/24, white press, no NMR, standard map and rules as a good setup for novice players willing to pay attention and move through it rapidly. Sound reasonable to you?

And does everyone else like those time periods?

(Basically, you get 2 days to negotiate and move, one day to retreat any defeated armies, and one day to build new armies, with a 24 hour grace period (which you shouldn't go into unless you absolutely muse) on each).
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 26, 2006 3:15:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Jerze

Weekdays are fine by me - I'll go with whatever you decide. I've played the board game but ages ago so I'd have to be counted as a neophyte. Be gentle till I get the idea of putting you to the rout!
Jerze
British Bandits' Ambassador - Midnight Ocean
Ring the bells that still can ring, Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything, That's how the light gets in.

L Cohen 'Anthem'
[Jan 26, 2006 3:26:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
u32jd2

I am also interested in joining this, though also as a completely new player.
Jimmyd-East Emerald

Formerly:
Jimmyd, Midnight,
Senior Officer, Appetite for Destruction
Lord, Blades and Roses
[Jan 26, 2006 3:56:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ruddigore

Mlik wrote: 
The name sounded familiar, and then I realized... that's your Nethack Gazetteer! :)

I'm a man of many hobbies :-)
Rummykins wrote: 
Ruddigore, I'd suggest move 48/24, retreat 24/24, adjust 24/24, white press, no NMR, standard map and rules as a good setup for novice players willing to pay attention and move through it rapidly. Sound reasonable to you?

Reasonable enough, though I'd have made move 72/24 to give people in different time zones a good chance for some back-and-forth. If people are willing to keep up the pace, though, either works.
[Jan 26, 2006 4:12:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

I'm not going to stop doing this until other people start wrote: 
Reasonable enough, though I'd have made move 72/24 to give people in different time zones a good chance for some back-and-forth. If people are willing to keep up the pace, though, either works.

72/24 is fine by me. If we're gonna have someone from ozzieland playing, probably a good idea.
I alone have the flet!
[Jan 26, 2006 4:25:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Ruddigore

Ok, 72/24 it is; I've created a game with the name 'yohoho'. From what I can see, these were the first seven to want in:

Rummykins
Timm
Mlik
Scylira
Eggpirate
Cronk
Jerze

If you haven't yet, trundle along to http://www.floc.net/dpjudge/?variant=dppd and create an account
there, browse the helpfiles a bit, and let me know if there's any problems. (Much of the documentation there refers to variants which you Need Not Understand, so don't panic; and if you're a bit hazy on the actual game rules, answering questions on those is what I'm for as the GM as well.)

The DPJudge doesn't seem to handle allocating powers by preference, so could you PM me with your preferred choice of powers (if any) and confirming that you're happy to play with the settings as discussed; and I'll give back the command you'll need to mail the Judge to join (including the password to the private game).

Dylan and Jimmyd, would you be willing to act as standbys should any of the listed players drop out or decide they don't want to start?
[Jan 26, 2006 5:02:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spod-central.org/~psmith/ [Link]  Go to top 
nyislenut

Well, I'll give it a try, despite being new at it and posting late. So if you don't mind, I'll add myself to the waiting list, and if anyone drops out I'll give it a try.
Himo, Sage.
OTR and PA
Fireydeath wrote: 

Sage is stagnant, needs more islands and has the most blockades, what's there to be confused about?

[Jan 26, 2006 5:05:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    nyislenut619 [Link]  Go to top 
zim_was_here

Please do sign me up it will probally take a while for me to get used to the game thanks for the invite and I would love to participate.

Quintillaz has been assigned the title of Builder in Dagger Revolution.
Juliah says, "because you "erect" things.... *giggles*"

wee howdypedia

Quintillaz
[Jan 26, 2006 5:18:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.geocities.com/zim_was_here    zim_was_here    zimwashere2 [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Happy to either take over permanently or temporarily, if given instructions (e.g. somebody needs to leave for 1908-1909, they could recruit me in 1907).

Dylan
[Jan 26, 2006 5:34:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
u32jd2

Yeah that is fine, and if no one drops out as is most probable i'll just catch the next game ;)

Good luck and have fun those that are in :)
Jimmyd-East Emerald

Formerly:
Jimmyd, Midnight,
Senior Officer, Appetite for Destruction
Lord, Blades and Roses
[Jan 26, 2006 6:05:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PracticalM

No the Dip Judge that link goes to doesn't support the Ken Lowe preferences other Dip Judges used.

Your JOIN command can have the power name though so you might want to assign powers before people start joining.
Silverstache
Prince of Otherworld
Senior Officer and Drunk of Mad Mutineers
[Jan 26, 2006 6:16:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jacktheblack

Its been a long time since I played this, throw me in a as a maybe.
[Jan 26, 2006 6:21:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacktheblackypp    samergamer [Link]  Go to top 
Welllingtion

Never had the chance to play this fully, Would love to get in a game. Put me in the list.
Wellingtion - Currently living on Malachite
[Jan 26, 2006 6:27:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.homestarrunner.com/    Coolman2003306 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 136   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates