• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 831 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
perringer

Head on Collision Reply to this Post

I was thinking positively (for a change), and though someone's probably suggested it before and I've missed it in the search - wouldn't it be grand if, when catching a ship full speed in the opposite direction for a battle, that it act as a head on collision and automatically incur damage?

How else could two ships barrelling full-sail in the opposite directions from each other possibly stop for a battle? Well, they'd have to hit each other, or one would have turn so fast that they stress the hull, and plank all the crew members; especially on the attacking ship, as they would be the ones flipping the ship on its side to do the insanely rapid turn-about.

I think this would make for an absolutely wonderful compensation for messing up a crew's fine job of sailing and navigation, as well as add a touch of nasty realism.

It would also be a new risk for the attacking ship, seeing as some are too impatient to turn-about and give chase.
----------------------------------------
[size=10]Aerosol - Captain, Aeronauts
Visit Ye Independents Forum Page!
Visit IM-SIC's Thread!

[Sep 30, 2003 2:48:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    perringer [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Re: Head on Collision Reply to this Post

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1066

Whew! That took me a lot of looking, so don't consider this a booch. Read down to Nemo's post.

I also think it's a great idea.

atteSmythe,
who's going to bed because he's so tired he forgot to sign his missive

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Sep 30, 2003 5:07:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Ah, I see - you're talking about before the sea battle, different scenario.

Mmm. Don't like that one so much.

atteSmythe,
who's really going to bed if he can't even read straight!

[Sep 30, 2003 5:14:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Except the attacking and defending ship would take just as much damage as each other in a collision like that, and since no amount of carpentry lessens the "black blocks of doom" that you get when the melee breaks out, your head on collision would just give both sides a few rows of black blocks to deal with, which doesn't even imbalance the fight since you are equally damaged.
[Sep 30, 2003 11:00:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Either that, or they need to change the "pass-through" graphics so that the ships go side-by-side.
[Sep 30, 2003 11:33:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Nothing

Hello.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nothing at Oct 1, 2003 12:26:41 AM]
[Oct 1, 2003 12:26:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I'm not sure about the head on collision. . . since, as was stated the damage would even itself out. . . well I guess not if the ships were of different sizes, that would give the big ship an advantage, which could work. Although I would say when ships collide at right angles that should to alot of damage so the ship that was hit, the front of the ship can handle that kind of impact much better then the side can. It would throw the cook all over the place, spilling all sorts of hot items on him. . .
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Oct 1, 2003 12:40:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Damage from intercepting head-on from the BIG screen is, if you'll excuse my bluntness, stupid. Fun over realism and all that -- ships don't have colored rings around them in reality, but folks don't want to get rid of those, and ships are almost the size of islands. Damage from head-on Sea Battle collisions is OK.
[Oct 1, 2003 12:41:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Nothing

Hello.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Nothing at Oct 1, 2003 12:55:34 AM]
[Oct 1, 2003 12:55:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

In sea battle, I think the damage from the collision is inconsequential - the important change would be that ramming each other would also cause boarding to occurr.

atteSmythe,
who's spent long turns constantly passing through the 'smart' (read: 'omniscient') AI that doesn't want to collide...

[Oct 1, 2003 1:44:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates