• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 55
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4033 times and has 54 replies Next Thread
Yumiko

Avast! She's in the heat of battle. Reply to this Post

Avast! She's in the heat of battle. Ye will have to wait for the battle to finish before you can go aboard.

I find that message annoying. Why does it have to be that way?

I don't play a lot, but when I find time to play, I'd like to be able to jump in with my crew immediately, rather than waiting (possibly a long time in some cases) for a battle to finish.
[Sep 29, 2003 12:01:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenshin664

Re: Avast! She's in the heat of battle. Reply to this Post

Well mate, I'm not sure what crew you are in but it is common courtesy to ask before boarding a ship, and about boarding a ship while in battle, doing so will make the battle much 'easier'

For example: Your crew mates are on a small sloop with 5, they attack a green large sloop brigand what most likely has around the same amount of mates aboard. Then you log on, and jump aboard the ship that is in mid-battle, making the ship 'light blue' (as in dificulty).

This could also be used in terrible ways, you are solo on a ship and attack another brigand what is most likely light blue, or greenish blueish (I love those two words ^.^). Then you ask a bit of your friends to join, making the ship a darker shade of blue, and sence you are already in battle it can't transform into the Black Ship of DOOOM.

So this feature has its uses to protect the sea battle fairness.
----------------------------------------
-=Kenshin=-
Senior Officer of the Mad Mutineers
[Sep 29, 2003 12:10:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kenshin-san.blogspot.com/    Kenshin664    kenshin664 [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Once the swordfight starts tho, surely there is no harm in letting the lagging mate aboard the vessel. It's not as if they can join halfway.
~Thorek
Senior Officer of the Serial Pillagers (Cobalt)
[Sep 29, 2003 12:25:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tazelbain

Yes, let them board, but not be allowed to start puzzles till the battle is over.

Sinkhole
[Sep 29, 2003 12:43:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kenshin664

tazelbain wrote: 
Yes, let them board, but not be allowed to start puzzles till the battle is over.

What is the difference between waiting on an island? and waiting on the boat? At least you can do something while the battle is rageing, while on the boat the only practical thing to do is wait
-=Kenshin=-
Senior Officer of the Mad Mutineers
[Sep 29, 2003 12:45:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.kenshin-san.blogspot.com/    Kenshin664    kenshin664 [Link]  Go to top 
Yumiko

kenshin664 wrote: 
tazelbain wrote: 

What is the difference between waiting on an island? and waiting on the boat? At least you can do something while the battle is rageing, while on the boat the only practical thing to do is wait

I can at least hear the Vessel talk while waiting on the boat.
[Sep 29, 2003 1:07:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Pythos

Ahh, young Beta'ers, gather around as I tell you the story of the avast message.

Back in Alpha, before this feature was released, pillaging was done by a tactic of 'piling on'. Basically, 2 or 3 people went out in a boat looking for targets. Once a target was found and engaged, it would be announced to the crew what ship was being fought. What would then happen is that everyone in the crew would pile onto the boat for the swordfight. What this meant was that a green boat that you attacked, which would have been 3 on 3, or 3 on 4, would then become 7 on 3 or more, thereby assuring victory by the massive amounts of pirates jumping on the boat after the battle had started.

It was them deemed by the venerable Ringers that this situation was unacceptable, and they introduced the Avast message.

The End

Jeridus - Owner of Sheepish Looks
'The absolute best tailor in Azure!!' - Jeridus' mom
Jeridus - Mad Mutineers
YPP's Original Two Fisted Tailor
[Sep 29, 2003 2:13:05 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yumiko

Pythos wrote: 
Once a target was found and engaged, it would be announced to the crew what ship was being fought. What would then happen is that everyone in the crew would pile onto the boat for the swordfight.

I have a better idea on how to handle this:

How about allow the player to board the ship if their presence would not cause the enemy ship to become too blue.

This would stop people from exploiting boarding a ship in the middle of a battle, but at the same time, would allow a pirate who just logged on to join their ship even if it's in battle most of the time.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I think that would cause a fair bit of work for the devs; a lot of effort for very little gain. I personally would rather have them sorting out the sea battle lag bug, for example; or creating the crafting puzzle.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yumiko

Lizzie wrote: 
I think that would cause a fair bit of work for the devs; a lot of effort for very little gain. I personally would rather have them sorting out the sea battle lag bug, for example; or creating the crafting puzzle.

Well, I was thinking maybe it's just a simple "if" statement branch in the code. e.g.

Current code:

if (ship.in_battle) {
player.notify("Avast! She's in the heat of battle. Ye will have to wait for the battle to finish before you can go aboard.");
return;
}
// move the player onto the ship

Proposed code:

if (ship.in_battle) {
fake_ship = ship;
fake_ship.num_crew += 1; // what the ship would be if this player was added
if (fake_ship.compare(ship.opponent) < 0) {
player.notify("Avast! She's in the heat of battle. Ye will have to wait for the battle to finish before you can go aboard.");
return;
}
}
// move the player onto the ship

Although I could be wrong, since I'm making assumptions about the way the code is structured.
Lizzie

Oh, ok, cos I know what you're talking about. *Whistles aimlessly*
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 29, 2003 5:00:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
quixmix

heh Reply to this Post

Still kinda pointless if you ask me. Your complaint is that you can't play when you log in straight away. But either way you suggest it, you still have to wait to play. So what is wrong with waiting on shore. I *like* the avast feature. The FUN part of the game is the fact that it's challenging, and has structure. Take that away, and you'd make a good boring mess.
Ace o' Hearts
Captain of The Last Exiles
[Sep 29, 2003 5:21:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yumiko

> But either way you suggest it, you still have to wait to play.

That's not true. Under the way I suggest, the player would be allowed to immediately board the ship that is in battle, and even participate in the battle (and thus not have to wait), if their presence on the ship would not have turned the enemy ship into a blue target.
[Sep 29, 2003 5:30:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I think thats lame. The other ship thinks yer teal, but then you change to green in the middle of the battle? Way to completely confuse them.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 29, 2003 5:33:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Yumiko

Lizzie wrote: 
I think thats lame. The other ship thinks yer teal, but then you change to green in the middle of the battle? Way to completely confuse them.

Whoops, the problem is more complicated than I thought.

My suggestion only considered the case where the ship I'm whisking onto is the attacker.

In case the ship I'm whisking onto is the defender, then the suggestion would have to be amended; perhaps disallow whisking onto the defender ship if the addition of the crew member may have caused the attacker to not attack in the first place (for a player attacker, this would mean if the addition of the crew member changes the ship's color noticably; for a brigand attacker, this depends on how their AI decides whether to attack).
[Sep 29, 2003 6:13:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

It doesn't matter for me whether yer attacker or defender.. I use different strategies for different colours, so it would mess me up either way.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 29, 2003 6:40:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

IMO, a needlessly complicated solution to the problem that some players have no patience.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Sep 29, 2003 7:34:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vgnight

Well i agree this is the best way.
But the best story to tell these Youngings are about the days when no one had swords cept for riches like Silver. and the days when Npps were hired at the dock. And when things like ellderberries were just blue berries
[Sep 29, 2003 7:36:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    vgnight    vgnight [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Or when there was no rum. Dark days indeed.
[Sep 29, 2003 11:59:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

We could make it that only people in blue hats could board the ship that was in battle. We could make it so that only people that had been playing YPP for X days could board the ship that was in battle. If none of these are available and its a Tuesday in February, anyone wearing orange striped pants can board the ship in battle.

Or we could keep the situation as simple as possible and not add piles of useless code to make one or two people a little bit more happy.

There are some features that are missing from YPP... ship logs for instance in tradeskill puzzles. It'd be nice if people would stop rallying so hard to complicate things like sea battle colors and rally for the things that YPP *needs*. Of course, lag reduction suggestions are always welcome hehe :)
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Sep 30, 2003 12:06:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

The hat is a trademark, y'know. Reply to this Post

Sugarpie wrote: 
If none of these are available and its a Tuesday in February, anyone wearing orange striped pants can board the ship in battle.

Woo hoo! I'm marking my calendar!

--Squiddles, the King of Orange Stripeyness
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Sep 30, 2003 12:45:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

1. The days of no rum were great days, when the npps were free, the skellies had no line, and the booty flowed like water into me hands!

2. When I get into a sea battle, me entire navigational strategy is dependent on our relative strengths, and me choice of targets is as well. Now that I'm used to this, I would prefer it didn't change. Especially as we have no way of seeing the relative strengths (and therefore changes in them) once the battle has started. Also, note that each new addition makes a VARIABLE change in strength, not a simple "+1". Newbies don't count at all, while the addition or loss of any one of my crew members tends to change our relative strength by an entire level (orange goes yellow, green goes aqua, or vice-versa).
[Sep 30, 2003 1:35:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

I still like the idea that enemy ships should keep their circles in Sea Battle. Harms nothing.
[Sep 30, 2003 2:18:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

I agree. In addition I would really like (tho probably won't ever get) a numerical value to appear in an alt-text or tooltip-text box when you move your mouse over the brigand. Being partially color-blind, I find myself often in battles with Orange ships I thought were Green or Yellow. Even better, not a numerical value but simply putting the word "Orange" "Green" or some-such as the tag would please me to no end.
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.
[Sep 30, 2003 2:25:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tazelbain

I don't know about you but I get the situation every now and again that I am attacked again immediately after battle so there is only a few seconds window for someone to jump on. If people were albe to jump on durring the battle but not play that would solve that. Plus They wouldn't need to sit at the dock screen trying to board.

Otherwise, I'd like the dock screen to say "X pirates in battle" so I don't need to click on it to find out I can't board.
[Sep 30, 2003 3:13:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

Letting people board in-battle would certainly mess up the re-engage option for the loser. You know, if you lose marginaly and they take a King's share of yer booty, ye get em right back and take it back.

But whoops! 5 pirates jumped on during the battle and they're red now. No luck.

Yes I know those 5 pirates can jump on in the 5 seconds between battles anyway, but that takes coordination and forethought; more power to them.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Sep 30, 2003 3:20:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

slight /hijack

Okay, the re-engage option. Sometimes when I lose I try to re-engage and it says they're weary. Why? Is it because they won two in a row or something? It only happens like once or twice a day, but its frusterating cause I almost had those suckers!! hehe :) So is this a bug or is this a planned thing?
Sugarpie
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Sep 30, 2003 3:23:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Seems like if a brigand attacks ye and beats ye, ye can re-engage once. If ye attack them and they beat ye, they're too tired to let ye try again. In either case, if ye win, they're too tired to try again.
[Sep 30, 2003 3:25:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

I'm having them say they're weary after my ship only fought them once and lost. Sorry if that was unclear. I meant if that brigand had beat another ship, then beat my ship, would that be the cause for me to not be able to reattack them because of weariness?
Sugarpie
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Sep 30, 2003 3:28:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

I think, though I'm not sure, that re-engage is reserved for when somoene attacks you and you lose. You can hit them right back with no problem.

If you had attacked them originally and lose to them, you can't re-engage them. The same would apply after the re-engage, since you had in fact just attacked and lost.

Now, taking it one step further. You attack them, they lose, they re-enage you and you lose, can you re-engage the 3rd time? Anyone know?

If that gave you a headache.. sorry. :)
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Cedric at Sep 30, 2003 3:30:44 AM]
[Sep 30, 2003 3:30:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 55   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates