• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 27
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2598 times and has 26 replies Next Thread
PlNG

Suggestions Reply to this Post

I'm sick of applying as a jobber and then having to wait for no response. I'd like to see "Your carrier pigeon returns with a note: "Your application has been rejected"" soz the jobbers can start looking at the ships with lower wages, and also to distinguish who's away/in battle and who's really hiring. Maybe an automatic job-offer take down when the ship capacity reaches full or does not hire after x applications or minutes.

A friends list. Come on. I've got a yohohocontacts.txt file in my network drive at school and I kind of hate typing out /tell $nick ARR! just to find out if they're online.

Maybe a better description of your job in the employment box. I had to note which islands my jobs were at in my textfile.
[Sep 29, 2003 8:46:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Re: Suggestions Reply to this Post

PlNG wrote: 
I'm sick of applying as a jobber and then having to wait for no response. I'd like to see "Your carrier pigeon returns with a note: "Your application has been rejected"" soz the jobbers can start looking at the ships with lower wages, and also to distinguish who's away/in battle and who's really hiring. Maybe an automatic job-offer take down when the ship capacity reaches full or does not hire after x applications or minutes.

A reasonable idea. It may have complications...

PlNG wrote: 
A friends list. Come on. I've got a yohohocontacts.txt file in my network drive at school and I kind of hate typing out /tell $nick ARR! just to find out if they're online.

To quote yourself, "Come on." This has been repeatedly stated to be on The List and should come up very easily in any search, including checking the The List thread.

PlNG wrote: 
Maybe a better description of your job in the employment box. I had to note which islands my jobs were at in my textfile.

On The List.
----------------------------------------
[Sep 29, 2003 9:13:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

PlNG wrote: 

You can type /who $nick and it'll bring up a little box under the Ahoy! tab. It will tell you whether or not they are on-line, as well as their general location.
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
[Sep 29, 2003 9:28:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

A temporary work round is to save names in a separate file (Word for example) so that you can copy and paste /who piratename or /tell piratename if you're searching for a lot of people regularly, especially if they have difficult names.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Sep 30, 2003 12:30:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

lol, I learned how to correctly spell Mnemosyne... how much harder do they get? :)

Of course those people with 60 of the same letter in a row like "Arrrrrrr" are a trick :X

I'd like if it the /who listed people for partial names too. So like /who Silver would show Silverbeard, Silverdawg, Silver, etc. Any list that's more than 10 names long return that the list is too long please refine your search or something :) That would help with those tricksy nameses :)
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Sep 30, 2003 12:34:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

That'd be nice, especially if you could click the names and bring up their info pages. Or even right click their names in the list and send them a /tell.
Gorth

Midnight:

Azure:
[Sep 30, 2003 1:01:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sugarpie

That'd be nice, especially if you could click the names and bring up their info pages.

I was initially thinking this... you know how the /who comes up with the box with the name, crew, and where they currently are? If you did /who Silver and there are 5 silvers on to bring up all 5 of those boxes. I suppose listing them just plain would work too :) I'm not picky!
Sugarpie
The Violet (er... Violent?) Pirate
Member of Black Death
Former Governor of Orca
Piggy Josiah R.I.P.

[Sep 30, 2003 1:03:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

Sugarpie wrote: 

That'd be nice, especially if you could click the names and bring up their info pages.

I was initially thinking this... you know how the /who comes up with the box with the name, crew, and where they currently are? If you did /who Silver and there are 5 silvers on to bring up all 5 of those boxes. I suppose listing them just plain would work too :) I'm not picky!

Oh, I understand now. I thought the names would have been brought up via the standard /who (without any directives) style with just one name after the other. If you did it that way then you could list 100 or so names. If you made an individual /who <target> box come up for each one then 10 would be a nice round number, and you could already click the info box presented.
Gorth

Midnight:

Azure:
[Sep 30, 2003 1:06:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
raykremer

I'm sick of applying as a jobber and then having to wait for no response.

Oh? I'm sick of getting a jobber application, /job-ing them right away, and getting back "That pirate already has a pending job offer". What do they do, click every "apply" button on the board without even looking at what booty ratios the crews offer?
[Sep 30, 2003 2:05:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

raykremer wrote: 

Oh? I'm sick of getting a jobber application, /job-ing them right away, and getting back "That pirate already has a pending job offer". What do they do, click every "apply" button on the board without even looking at what booty ratios the crews offer?

Yes, they do indeed do this. Just another reason I use swabbies instead of jobbers.
Gorth

Midnight:

Azure:
[Sep 30, 2003 2:09:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

What do they do, click every "apply" button on the board without even looking at what booty ratios the crews offer?

Yes, exactly.

atteSmythe,
who'd just as well not job someone who's that indiscrimanate

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Sep 30, 2003 2:09:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I'd also like the ability to bring up the crew pages or the flag pages for a flag whose name I know using something like /who...
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 30, 2003 12:42:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
raykremer

Just another reason I use swabbies instead of jobbers.

Aye, swabbies are fine for the duty puzzles, but methinks perhaps that when you reach a swordfight with brigands and you didn't have the chance to deal them much damage, it's better to have real players aboard.

Ah well, if the jobbers want to apply indiscriminatly and miss out on the 1/1/1/1/1/1 booty ratio on my ship, it's their loss.
[Sep 30, 2003 1:23:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanns

They apparently think it's possible to be on 6-[EDIT]7[/EDIT] ships at once.

On another note, I HATE it when people do that. Slap 'em a mute. When and if my crew's the only one left on an available notice board for them, they can click my apply button all they freakin' want. I won't see it. They're outta luck. They should've been smart. :)
-Spolto, some random guy of millions of people in the Midnight ocean.

-Ayrus, Senior Officer in the La Giustizia Implacabile.
[Sep 30, 2003 2:47:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

raykremer wrote: 

Well this kinda sorta goes back to the initial problem where I've applied.. you're in Sea Battle...I don't know about it... I wait a while.. and I apply somewhere else. You get out of battle and try to job me, but I'm now waiting for another application.

Geddit?
[Sep 30, 2003 5:39:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Syllabic

lol, I learned how to correctly spell Mnemosyne... how much harder do they get? :)

On a mud I played, there was a mob called King Albalachalabal.

And yes, that's how it's spelled :P
Armistice, trader extraordinaire
[Sep 30, 2003 9:11:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Arrindier [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

Strawberi wrote: 
raykremer wrote: 

Well this kinda sorta goes back to the initial problem where I've applied.. you're in Sea Battle...I don't know about it... I wait a while.. and I apply somewhere else. You get out of battle and try to job me, but I'm now waiting for another application.

Geddit?

Thats a different situation tho. I wouldn't expect you to sit around and wait for us to get out of battle. But for the most part, even if you /job the person without looking at their info they'll already have a job pending. The other very annoying thing is when you /job them and immediately they decline. Why would you even apply for my job if you knew you were going to just click the decline button right away?
Gorth

Midnight:

Azure:
[Sep 30, 2003 9:19:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jasandrea

Things can happen quickly, and they can happen coincidentally. Generally, I apply for a couple of jobs if I'm looking. I read the crew information first, and pick the ones I want out of the list. If neither of my first two have responded within the first couple of minutes, I'll start looking again. Sometimes I might apply for a third or fourth job and then coincidentally get an offer from one of the first two, and take it. The fact is, officers are busy people and there are many reasons why they might not respond quickly (naving, in sea battle, whatever), which is fine, but I'm not inclined to sit on a dock and wait when there are other people who might job me more quickly. I only have an hour or so to play each day, and I'm not inclined to waste 10% of that time trying to find a crew to job with if my own isn't available.
Jacquilynne
Elder Cod of The Yo-Ho Yo-Yos, Looterati
Ruby Arch: Where the brigands are Ultimate and the players used to be.
[Sep 30, 2003 9:26:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jacquilynne [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

Kraken wrote: 
Thats a different situation tho. I wouldn't expect you to sit around and wait for us to get out of battle. But for the most part, even if you /job the person without looking at their info they'll already have a job pending. The other very annoying thing is when you /job them and immediately they decline. Why would you even apply for my job if you knew you were going to just click the decline button right away?

Ok for example!

You get out of battle my application arrives..but I have already been waiting since the middle or beginning of the battle and thats when you get the "This person already has a job pending"

That is irritating but I'm just saying that sometimes that is the reason why it happens.

And as for declining? Sometimes my crew just logged on? A friend agreed to job me instead?

Stuff happens.

For the declining I can't say much..but as for job pending? Sometimes more often than not I feel that it may not be the jobber's fault to start with.
[Oct 1, 2003 11:26:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Weaver

Kraken wrote: 
The other very annoying thing is when you /job them and immediately they decline.

Heh, I've noticed that the odds of that happening are directly proportional to how hard their name was to type.
Weaver - First Mate of Orange Revolution, Prince of Crimson Tide
Sword Patterns
[Oct 1, 2003 1:16:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://weaver.merold.net/pirates/swordcolours.php?sword=All [Link]  Go to top 
joedigriz

Strawberi wrote: 
You get out of battle my application arrives..but I have already been waiting since the middle or beginning of the battle and thats when you get the "This person already has a job pending"

I think maybe this should actually be modified, now that you mention it. a) I think you should be able to *unapply* for a job that you've applied to. This way, if you change or mind (or discover you've hit the wrong button), you can save the capn the trouble of attempting to look up your info. The ship crew will get a "Strawberi has withdrawn her application for the job." message.

b) If you apply for a job with a ship that's current in battle, you should receive a message "This ship is currently in battle; do you wish to still apply?" or something like that. If you click yes, then the application will be sent as soon as the battle is over. Note: *only* if you click yes. Nothing will be sent if you never click the button.)

I believe this would solve this particular problem in both directions fairly effectively.
Garbuck - Red Mantis Scapegoat and Pretty Pretty Princess
[Oct 1, 2003 1:28:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    jal_95    joedigriz [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

One thing I find odd is that you can apply to job for your own crew =P.

(Yes I've done this, and they told me that the application had reached them).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Oct 1, 2003 3:13:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kozmic

hehehe, when I applied to job fer me own crew, they declined my app.

wait a second...
[size=10]Kozmic- that one person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Jellybeanz- that other person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Hugglebear- member of XOXOXO Snuggle Pirates
[Oct 1, 2003 3:15:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JeSuisLaChatte [Link]  Go to top 
Strawberi

kozmic wrote: 
hehehe, when I applied to job fer me own crew, they declined my app.

wait a second...

LOL!!!!!!!

And thanks Joedigriz!! Finally someone who understands what I was trying to get at! I really gotta work on my communication skills..
[Oct 1, 2003 5:06:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://snx8.pitas.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

Why not let the application go through even if they are in battle, that way the jobber will know if they'll be accepted or not and they won't have to wait around to find out. Of course they still might not respond during a sword fight or something but if they're still in the sea battle part of the engagement, then they could job the jobber then (of course they still couldn't get on the ship until after the battle but at least they'd know if they'd gotten the job or not.)
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Oct 2, 2003 1:26:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seltzer

jobbies vs swabbies Reply to this Post

The problem is that most newbs seem to go through and apply to multiple crews at once. If I'm jobbing and see a crew with stats I really like, yeah, I'll probably wait around a bit for them to respond (if they are in battle or whatever), but moreover I just assume that they just ignored my app instead of hitting /reject as that is much easier.
Of course, how hard would it be to post back to the applying jobbie that the crew they are applying for is currently in battle?

The main point of this thread seems to be more of what I experience a LOT of. I'm sitting in port jobbing a couple of people before going out and someone has just jobbed with me, I type their name right away quickly and it says they already have a pending invite. Those seem to be the ones that make everyone annoyed, but as someone said, I probably don't want them jobbing for me anyway.
I rarely take the time to check stats anymore due to that by the time I get it checked they are already jobbed elsewhere. I just go with what I can get a lot of the time and sort things out later.
That being said, I had a great crew of jobbers last night that, if I had checked their stats I might not have gotten them. Sure, I had to teach a couple how to swordplay but they were good people and I would love to have them in my crew again.
Because "when you're a professional pirate... you don't have to wear a suit."

-Seltz
In Googlis non est, ergo non est
[Oct 9, 2003 12:03:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://fairepix.homeip.net    seltzie    s3l7z3r    4515554 [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

I think its fair to extend a whole lot of slack to people who are brand new to the game and don't understand the mechanics. I know the very first time I applied for a job, I applied to one and only one, and waited and nothing happened. The very second time I went to job, about 3 minutes later, I applied to every posted job. (This was back in July of course).

There was nothing, on the job board, in the interface, or in the introductory documentation, to imply what I was doing was rude in any way or inconvenient for anyone. I certainly didn't know someone would have to type '/job Leperflesh' to hire me, nor could I have known that every job I applied to would page some poor pirate with annoying spam.

So I would propose that certainly a change to the interface is in order: you apply to one job, the rest become unavailable: you have to retract your application (or be rejected) before you can apply to another.

In the absence of this, or a similar improvement, annoyed captains can kindly remember what it was like to be brand new, and cut people some slack.

-Lep, who is happy to job any newbie any time, thank you
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Oct 10, 2003 12:25:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates