• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 15
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2414 times and has 14 replies Next Thread
Tiger_Hunter

Wars Reply to this Post

Some aspects of wars that I'd really like to see (note: In case you are incapable of understanding the above line, these will only apply to two flags who are at war, meaning that both sides have agreed, not just declared/been declared on. Although I think b is already on the list in general)-

a. Might rings do not apply-historically, nations had no problem attacking a sloop with a frigate. Also, the sloop, with its 4 moves to the wf's 3, coud easily run or, if the navver is feeling lucky, out-manuever it. Also-

b. In the above example, the sloop decides to take on the wf, but doesn't want to do it alone. So, he uses /fo (or /broadcast if he's royalty) to call for re-enforcements. A couple ships sail out to support their comrade, and join the battle by clicking on either of the two (or, later, three or four or five etc-could clog sea lanes with massive 20 ship battles-ideas?) ships and selecting the special 'join battle' button. With the tables suddenly turned, the wf does the same, creating a battle much more like historic battles than the current in-game incarnation between two ships at a time.

c. Territories. The idea of blockading nav points has been suggested before- http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=19420
Copy and paste it, the last time I tried to make it a link it, I accidently deleted everything I had up until this point and had to start all over-not going to try again. (EDIT: Apparently it links automatically) I suggest that, instead of allowing 'sneak blockades' to people who control routes, we change it so that there is a special 'flag radar', viewable on any flag ship in the flag's territory as an option on the chart table, which shows all ships in the flag's territory (using the color scale currently used in normal radar, except that you can attack blue ships that you are at war with), with enemy ships outlined in red instead of black (might get a bit confusing when dealing with red ships).
The territory is the area between the flag-controlled island (you must control an island in order to control a point, and you can only control a route leading to or from that island-also, if a flag controls two islands at an opposite end of a route, they automatically control that whole route). A flag could, presumably, have two non-adjacent territories, and in such a case each would have a seperate radar (you could not view ships in both territories at the same time, unless you use an alt account).
This would make it easier for people who want to fight a war to actually fight a war, instead of lumbering through the ocean hoping to run across an enemy ship. Just load up a gf, sail into the enemy territory, and then, as a matter of pride, the enemy will try to sink you for dirtying their water with your filthy [name of your flag] ship. Or solo a sloop just inside, and then have your buddies in frigs and brigs pounce on the enemy ships sent to sink you.
This would also encourage people to stay near their flag's islands, as well as own an island period-you might be needed to fend off an intruder, and you would have the benefit of the radar.

I have a few more ideas which are still in the making, which I will post later. If you have any questions, just post them and I will post a reply-this is my first GD suggestion*, and I've always had trouble making my thoughts clear.

*So please go easy on me.
----------------------------------------

Why can't I make the baker watch me kill his wife and child, then force-feed their flesh to him until his stomach bursts? What is this, Barbie's Horse Adventure?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tiger_Hunter at Jan 8, 2006 7:44:22 PM]
[Jan 8, 2006 7:42:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Re: Wars Reply to this Post

All's fair in love and war, except in this game. Disabling the Black ship for war could result in a huge amount of griefing.

True armadas, in or out of war, are on The List.

Faulkston,
Listy linky

Queenbeez wrote: 
I still like the novelty of adding poking to the event

[Jan 8, 2006 7:46:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I do like the idea of might rings no longer applying.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jan 8, 2006 7:52:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

What Faulkston? No linkies?

War and the Black Ship was discussed rather at length around the time when war was in testing.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Jan 8, 2006 7:57:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sscthunderbird    SSC Thunderbird    45916581 [Link]  Go to top 
Tiger_Hunter

If you know that you don't have the firepower to match your enemy in a multi-ship battle, don't return the declaration-or if you do, just run away, as I mentioned above. (It's rather easy-I do it all the time when memming nav or making a trade run-most of the times I get grappled its because I don't realize its pvp, and treat the ship like the brigands I have become so skilled at avoiding-but it'll be rather obvious if a wf attacks your sloop that its not only pvp, but also an enemy). I suggested removing might rings to facilitate the multi-ship battle function-most people would rather sink the ship on their own as a matter of pride if they're up against an equal foe, rather than call in re-enforcements. This way, huge battles, which I think would be rather fun-I really enjoy blockades- would occur more often, because you would not have to drop a war chest on an island.

Why can't I make the baker watch me kill his wife and child, then force-feed their flesh to him until his stomach bursts? What is this, Barbie's Horse Adventure?

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tiger_Hunter at Jan 8, 2006 8:21:03 PM]
[Jan 8, 2006 8:14:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DamelyBroad

Nice post! =)

a. Might rings do not apply-historically, nations had no problem attacking a sloop with a frigate. Also, the sloop, with its 4 moves to the wf's 3, coud easily run or, if the navver is feeling lucky, out-manuever it.

This would make wars even LESS likely. Having a hard enough time getting flags to go to war as it is. That said, yes, I know there are navvers out there good enough to take down a brig with a sloop. That's not many of us. (I really wish "us" meant that I was among that group, lol.) If a flag has fifteen mates online and someone does a /w on their warring flagmates to find out that there are only two flaggies in the opposition online and one is in a sloop . . . well, that's just mean. I get what you're saying, and there may be good enough arguments to counteract mine, in fact I can almost see them now. =)

b. In the above example, the sloop decides to take on the wf, but doesn't want to do it alone. So, he uses /fo (or /broadcast if he's royalty) to call for re-enforcements. A couple ships sail out to support their comrade, and join the battle by clicking on either of the two (or, later, three or four or five etc-could clog sea lanes with massive 20 ship battles-ideas?) ships and selecting the special 'join battle' button. With the tables suddenly turned, the wf does the same, creating a battle much more like historic battles than the current in-game incarnation between two ships at a time.

This was brought up at the meet, actually. Jacktheblack is all over that one too. =) I can't remember what the devs replied, though. Hmm. From Faulk's reply, it's on the list, or am I missing what it is that he's saying is Listed?

. . . except that you can attack blue ships that you are at war with), with enemy ships outlined in red instead of black (might get a bit confusing when dealing with red ships).

Ha! I'm having a really hard time visualizing this - but how about some other color, like violet, or God forbid pink, to determine this?

The territory is the area between the flag-controlled island (you must control an island in order to control a point, and you can only control a route leading to or from that island-also, if a flag controls two islands at an opposite end of a route, they automatically control that whole route).

This gives flags with an island WAAAAY too much power to bother the living @#$% out of a smaller flag - granted, this is only if the wardec is returned, right? They already embargo you from their island so you can't port there, really, is more torment of a flag that got crossways with an island-owning flag necessary?

This would make it easier for people who want to fight a war to actually fight a war, instead of lumbering through the ocean hoping to run across an enemy ship.

/fw followed by /w, followed by /vw to find out approximately where they're at if they're sailing.

I have a few more ideas which are still in the making, which I will post later. If you have any questions, just post them and I will post a reply-this is my first GD suggestion*, and I've always had trouble making my thoughts clear.

Hey, you know what . . . this is really sweet stuff to read for a first game design suggestion, lol.
Captain of Solonor's Arrow, of Imperio!
(otherwise appropriately known as S-A)
Kickin' avatar by Kingpriam
[Jan 8, 2006 8:20:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tiger_Hunter

/me blushes
Why thank you. And I didn't realize that there were special chat commands for ships/flags that you're at war wit-and I posted that on the assumption that any flag that would dare enter a full-scale war with a large flag would also have enough mates to assure that most of the time you had about the same number online as your enemy.. Perhaps disable the option allowing you to tell how many members of a flag are online at any one time as an extra precaution? (Except your own, so you can know what kind of support you can recieve.) And if that happens, just run away-to prevent them from simply stationing a ship a little ways away to prevent you from doing just that, make the re-engagement rules apply to all ships in the flag.
About the /vw-if you knew their exact location, and had a couple of your buddies only a few leagues away to back you up... if I ever get good at b-nav, I'd love to go on a warpath through enemy territory. Assuming my king works up the guts to go to war with somebody. (No disrespect meant if you ever read this, my lord)

[Edit 3 times, last edit by Tiger_Hunter at Jan 8, 2006 8:39:22 PM]
[Jan 8, 2006 8:24:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DamelyBroad

/me blushes
Why thank you. And I didn't realize that there were special chat commands for ships/flags that you're at war with.

Actually, there isn't. I misstated that, too.
It's /fw (name of the flag you're at war with).
Then, you pull the names of mates you know are officers, and /who (said pirate's name) to figure out if they're sailing.
/vwho (ship they're on) will tell you if it's a ship in their flag or if they're jobbing, and where it was "last seen." It's not foolproof by any stretch, as there's always more than one direction a matey can go when they deport from an island. It IS oceanwide, however, and doesn't require radar or anything of the like, just a little homework.

If you do this enough times and the conflict lasts long enough you'll start figuring out who sails more often, and maybe even around where. This works outside of war, too.

lmao. "Assuming my king works up the guts" . . . lol. Them's one shiny gauntlet I see layin' at some dude with a scepter's feet. =P
[Jan 8, 2006 8:37:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

We do have a channel of communication for flags we are at war with; it's just not in game: Piratical Parley.

Faulkston,
;-)

Queenbeez wrote: 

[Jan 8, 2006 8:40:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Tiger_Hunter

Oh. I thought that the 'w' stood for 'war', not 'who'. But yes, doing that would have essesntially the same effect.
And my king is nice. We're just a small flag with only 2 crews. Not sure about the other one, but my crew only has about 5 members who are regularly online, 3 sloops, 2 cutters, and a war brig-so I can understand why he doesn't want to go to war. Perhaps I should have said 'firepower' instead of 'guts'. (No, I do not want to join a larger crew.)

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Tiger_Hunter at Jan 8, 2006 8:49:04 PM]
[Jan 8, 2006 8:45:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Or just check the notice board, if you know which crew name you're looking for.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jan 8, 2006 8:59:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DamelyBroad

Or just check the notice board, if you know which crew name you're looking for.

Eh. Only works if their jobbing offer is up. The /who commands work regardless.
[Jan 8, 2006 9:01:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Maybe it's the BSB effect (The people who dec us back generally aren't the sharpest sticks in the bundle), but I've found that periodically checking the board is a much more productive way of causing war-condition PVP than camping on /fw.

And bear in mind, I'm a spoiled tart who doesn't job off the board any more because I'd rather not watch in tears as my hard-earned Legendaries crumble to Masters at the bequest of captains who think they disengage by sailing off the board.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Jan 8, 2006 9:07:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

How about this: add a total war option which disables the Black ship. Both sides have to agree to total war; otherwise war happens like it does now (i.e. once the declaration is reciprocated).

Faulkston,
wondering

Queenbeez wrote: 

[Jan 8, 2006 11:57:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

How about this: add a total war option which disables the Black ship. Both sides have to agree to total war; otherwise war happens like it does now (i.e. once the declaration is reciprocated).

Faulkston,
wondering

I'm happy to see that my doom and gloom predictions from Ye Olde Threade didn't come about as I'd feared.

On the other hand, that's because war isn't part of the game for most people.

I don't know that Total War would get used.

If war took away something that people didn't feel so bad about losing, it might be more palatable (using up "war morale", and the first flag to run out "loses" the war; PvP wins increase it again).

Maybe in the game after the game after Bang! Howdy.
[Jan 9, 2006 3:00:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2014 Three Rings Design, Inc. All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates