• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 32
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 24044 times and has 31 replies Next Thread
Slummock

Slum's Illuminated Guide to Sailing Reply to this Post

[size=10]updated Feb 17 2005

my main purpose here is to show people the kind of thing they should look out for to get combos.

-Dont waste peices, if you cant do anything useful with a peice then put it somewhere that it will be easy to get rid of later. speed doesn't matter so much.

-Combos are the way to get high scores. you need mostly doubles and the occasional triple to get increadibles*. only get singles when you need to clear some peices out of the way, even then get a double if you can.

*[size=10]The general standard in the ocean has gone up since i wrote that. You can still get incred with mostly triples and some doubles, but you have to be very efficient and pretty quick.

-Try half filling the platform and then find a way to make it a double, like so;

-The static peices that are there from the start are your friends. use them wisely.
----------------------------------------
Glub (again)
[Edit 16 times, last edit by Slummock at Sep 28, 2003 10:39:26 AM]
[Sep 28, 2003 10:39:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Some doubles Reply to this Post

ok, heres some doubles,

1) If you find yourself with a particular colour combo that you dont need then chances are you can set something like this up somewhere. Combos without platforms aren't worth very though.

2) This is probably the easiest type of combo to get with this kind of platform. When the target disapears then the yellows will drop down and get you a double.
The spare white will drop down into the blue platform, but any yellow/white pieces you get can be placed on the static yellow block to the left of the pic (with the white hanging to the right) for an easy double.

3) platforms situated above each other are very useful

4) I call this one kaplunk.
Glub (again)
[Edit 4 times, last edit by Slummock at Sep 28, 2003 10:54:47 AM]
[Sep 28, 2003 10:54:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

triples Reply to this Post

triples are just a double with an extra trigger or an extra um... follow-through. yeh, that'll do.

the trigger in example on the left is like #1 in the previous post, but when the blues disappear it lets the yellow go and finish of the platform. it looks like it should be a bingo (quadrupel) as there are two stacks of blues but they will disapear simultaneously. i'll get to that in a min...

the example on the right is the same as #2 in the previous post but with the added blue/white trigger.
Glub (again)
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Slummock at Sep 28, 2003 10:55:10 AM]
[Sep 28, 2003 10:55:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Re: Slum's Illuminated Guide to Sailing Reply to this Post

when you complete two lines of 4+ at the same time or two platform at the same time they go off at the same time and dont add to your combo. when a platform and a line are set off at the same time, the platform goes off first and the line after.

so in the example on the left is only a double as both blue/white platform will go off at once, but the example on the right is also a double as the platform will go off first, followed by the line.

General tips

Just look out for times when you could add a couple of peices to a combo to make it bigger. Check your next peice indicator and look for something you could set up using your current peice and the next one.

It's more effective to put the higher scoring breaks in early. So a platform-line of 4- LO4 scores more than an LO4-LO4-platform. Larger platforms give more points.

Speed matters, but getting the most out of the pieces you get given matters far more.

If you have to dump the board dont quit out and restart since this sets your sail-o-meter back to zero, its better to get what you can from the board and then booch it by building up to the top. You loose some speed but not too much.

It's not about getting the hugest massive combos you can no matter what. It's about getting the best you can out of the peices you're given. I never think "i'm going to make a bingo now" i just look at the best thing i can do with the two peices i can see. If you are building a big one it's best to have some smaller ones you can get using peices not needed in the big one.[/list:u:4759819c1a]
    Glub (again)
    [Edit 13 times, last edit by Slummock at Sep 28, 2003 11:17:26 AM]
[Sep 28, 2003 11:17:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kozmic

Your pictures aren't showing up for me...
[size=10]Kozmic- that one person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Jellybeanz- that other person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Hugglebear- member of XOXOXO Snuggle Pirates
[Sep 28, 2003 11:23:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JeSuisLaChatte [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

i was worried about that, ill see if i can find a better place to upload them to then geocities....

is it working for anyone?
Glub (again)
[Sep 28, 2003 11:24:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Stinktoe

Nope. Get them off geobarnaclies.
Don Quevegas
Officer of the Yo-Ho Yo-Yos
Flag Looterati
[Sep 28, 2003 11:52:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kozmic

I can host them if you want.
[size=10]Kozmic- that one person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Jellybeanz- that other person in the Far Too Jolly Rogers

Hugglebear- member of XOXOXO Snuggle Pirates
[Sep 28, 2003 12:00:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    JeSuisLaChatte [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

okay, the pics should be working now thanks to kozmic. if anyone gets a vegas, post it here, ive havent managed it yet...
Glub (again)
[Sep 29, 2003 6:55:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Next time I have a large combo set up I'll snap shot it. I've actually gotten a TRIPLE vegas, which is an 8 step combo. There is a picture of a DOUBLE vegas at www.madmutineers.com
~Thorek
Senior Officer of the Serial Pillagers (Cobalt)
[Sep 29, 2003 7:16:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Here's a really ugly Double Vegas (7 step combo)

~Thorek
[Sep 29, 2003 7:52:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

Aye, this is a nice graphical description of the basics of sailing. Well done!
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
[Sep 29, 2003 7:53:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Here's an example of endurance paying off in the end. This is a 5 combo (A Donkey!) built off a screw up.

The lesson: Don't dump your board if you mess up. The points for clearing a board are worth sticking it out.
~Thorek
[Sep 29, 2003 9:19:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

Hangmann wrote: 

The lesson: Don't dump your board if you mess up. The points for clearing a board are worth sticking it out.

aye ive had some nice combos built out of a small but flawed combo.

if you have to dump the board dont quit out and restart since this sets your sail-o-meter back to zero, its better to get what you can from the board and then booch it by building a comumb up the middle. you loose some speed but not too much.
Glub (again)
[Sep 29, 2003 9:43:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StevenSacks

Re: An Illustrated Guide to Sailing Reply to this Post

Slummock wrote: 
Combos are the way to get high scores. you need mostly doubles and the occasional triple to get increadibles. only get singles when you need to clear some peices out of the way, even then get a double if you can.

Um...I don't know what game you're playing, but unless I get two bingos on a league, I only get excellent. I get Donkeys from time to time and sometimes might get incredible. ;-)

It seems to me that it's gotten harder to get incredible than before. I read somewhere that getting excellent and incredible are based on the averages of everyone who is playing the game. Is that true?
[Oct 5, 2003 12:07:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ultracity

I believe it's standings (such as Legendary and Ultimate) that are based off the averages of all players. And my friends and I think all of the duty puzzles have been made a touch harder as of late, so it may indeed be harder to get incredible now (if nothing else, because of the downright sinister board layouts you get sometimes).

I do agree though that constant doubles and occasional triples are all it takes to keep you at Incredible for the duration of pretty much any voyage, and all the tricks Mr. Slummock here gives are things I do regularly, so I can attest to their functionality. One thing to remember, though: as nifty as gigantic combos such as Vegas are, they tend to be risky and time consuming to set up, and in the end maybe a little too risky. With all the things that can go wrong, you're probably better off with doubles and triples. As with most puzzles in this game, it's all about a fine balance between speed and efficiency.

Oh yeah, and don't waste pieces...

That's my redundant repitition for today :P
~Mansfellow
[Oct 5, 2003 12:34:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that clearing a platform is "worth" a double, in terms of sailing productivity (but NOT in terms of the words that show up, e.g. double, triple, donkey, vegas).

So if you get a triple using only stacks/rows (without clearing any platforms), that's "worth" 3 gribbls of sailing power. Whereas if you get a double, that is a stack of four followed by clearing a platform, that is also worth 3 gribbls of sailing power. And a double consisting of two platforms getting cleared, one after the other, is worth four gribbls of power, and a platform-plus-two-stacks triple is worth five gribbls of sailing power (or maybe more, I'm not sure if a triple adds additional sailing power beyond 1.5 of a double).

I hope I was clear. A gribbl is simply a metasyntactic variable, don't obsess over that.

So the point being, you can get Incredibles with only a double and a triple, if both were two-platform-clearing combos. There is also a productivity bonus for clearing a board (I have no idea how many gribbls that's worth though).

Also keep in mind that affects of your productivity are delayed. If you do very very well in the first league, and then clear nothing in the second, you will probably still get just 'good' in the first league, and may get 'excellent' in the second. And so forth.

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Oct 5, 2003 3:03:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

I'll second Lep's advice.

I've had no problems getting incredibles in sailing, both before and after the update. I don't ever try to bother with anything above triple, but I also don't bother with trying to clear anything but the platforms. The trick I've found is to simply double as many platform clears as you can on each screen. Just chain as many platforms together in the shortest amount of time. Setting up the Donkeys and Vegas' just isn't worth the time or effort to do so, even if they do look impressive.

Two double groups of four regular blocks is worth nothing, but two double platforms is worth a flashy gold sail.

Also, I am thouroughly convinced that the gribbles you get for clearing things works very similarly to breaks in swordfighting. That is, it's much better to get a single stack and double platform than a single platform and double stack.
Gorth

Midnight:

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
[Oct 5, 2003 11:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

StevenSacks wrote: 
Um...I don't know what game you're playing, but unless I get two bingos on a league, I only get excellent. I get Donkeys from time to time and sometimes might get incredible. ;-)

I get incredibles from doubles and triples all the time. Of course, my triples and Bingos are usually 1 4-piece followed by a cascade of 2-3 platforms. Sailing isn't about speed, remember - it's one of the only (the only?) puzzles that's all about piece efficiency. If you build a vegas, but you waste 20 extra pieces unbroken while doing it, you'll get a Good at best. If you keep getting doubles and triples, but you break every single piece that drops, you'll get incredibles. Basically, think of each break you make as earning points. At the end of the league point, the points you earned are divided by the number of pieces you were given. The result determines your ranking.

Now, if you keep building Bingos and not wasting any pieces along the way, breaking multiple platforms in each combo...that's quality.
Leperflesh wrote: 
I believe (someone correct me if I'm wrong) that clearing a platform is "worth" a double, in terms of sailing productivity (but NOT in terms of the words that show up, e.g. double, triple, donkey, vegas).

Of course, I can't say anything difinitive, but I believe you're correct in this. Almost, anyway - I'd always felt a platform was worth slightly more than a double, maybe 2.5. But that might be my head matching patterns where none are to be found.

atteSmythe,
who recently started Vegasing sailing like there's no tomorrow

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 6, 2003 2:26:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
garf

Leperflesh wrote: 
There is also a productivity bonus for clearing a board (I have no idea how many gribbls that's worth though).

the ringers repeatedly stated that there is no such bonus.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Oct 6, 2003 2:42:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

I wish the "Board Cleared!" message would be changed to a small font, if the board clear is worth nothing. Right now, it contradicts the general rule of puzzle scoring displays, which is, "Things printed in big letters are worth more score."
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Oct 6, 2003 2:49:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Amberyl wrote: 
I wish the "Board Cleared!" message would be changed to a small font, if the board clear is worth nothing. Right now, it contradicts the general rule of puzzle scoring displays, which is, "Things printed in big letters are worth more score."

A good point...
[Oct 6, 2003 3:14:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ultracity

Wait... so those giant letters when I knock people out in sea battle aren't giving me a bonus? Dangit!
~Mansfellow
[Oct 6, 2003 4:09:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

Seriously? I can't imagine sailing if I have to consistently make combos. Normally I just get two or three vegases a trip and pause for a league or so after each vegas (Applicable mostly to small sloops.). I was under the impression that the incredibles I'd be getting for the next few turns made up for the good from the first league, and that your ranking was based on the average status of your indicator. Perhaps that's why I'm still legendary in ocean :\.
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Oct 6, 2003 7:39:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

It is average status, but if you let that sail not sparkle for more than like 12 seconds your "average status" is going to be less than incredible.

That's a bit of an over exaderation, but you get the ponit.

The double and triple I was talking about involve all the platforms on the board. If clearig a platform is wotht the same as a double, then if you go stack-platform-platform-platform-stack (pretty easy to set up) you're in for much more points than stack-stack-stack-platform. Comboing platforms is the key, not just stacks, and this is how you can stay at incredible using doubles and triples.

Side note: I agree the board cleared message shoud be smaller if it adds nothing to your sailing rank.

Edit: hmm, my double vegas seems to not be showing up. I'll fix that a little later. Sorry for the inconvinence.
~Thorek
[Oct 6, 2003 7:47:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
CursedBurger

Aye, but thankfully an efficient vegas does keep my sails a-sparklin' during that time, provided I don't go and do anything foolish like continue dropping pieces. And I've always found that it's fairly easy to end my vegases with platforms followed by horizontal-horizontal, haven't seen horizontals bein' given enough love. If it weren't for them, I'd never have gotten a beautiful QUADRUPLE vegas, a 9 step combo.
Are there any pirates on this ship?
And if they sober up,
they'll have us home by morning.
[Oct 6, 2003 9:19:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Slummock

a bingo-vegas, nice one.

yeh, i agree that horizontals can be useful, i only found out after i got a few unexpected bingos.

ill probably update the guide based what everyones been saying soon
Glub (again)
[Oct 6, 2003 9:39:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
akebia

Ultracity wrote: 
Wait... so those giant letters when I knock people out in sea battle aren't giving me a bonus? Dangit!

Wait 'til you see "Ye be defeated!"

Seriously, though, I thought that "scoring" words were in yellow and changed sizes, while other messages were in white. This might be due to me misremembering the different colors of different puzzles and having a mental filter on which messages are important.
[Oct 7, 2003 3:35:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
xagoloth

Hey slummock want to update this? I am not seeing the images.
JackSparrow
www.mashrur.com
[Aug 21, 2004 10:02:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mashrur.com    jaquesparrow@yahoo.com    mashsurfer [Link]  Go to top 
Markoman

They dissapeared. Yay! (/me booches spelling.)
Markozeta
[Aug 21, 2004 10:27:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.Mersenne.org    Markozetaman [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 32   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates