• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 5
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 506 times and has 4 replies Next Thread
Syzerian

Weird thought about swords Reply to this Post

well last night i was just thinking about swordfighting and i came across the thought that well swords r sort of backwards
i know it sounds weird but let me explain....
i was thinking about how the current swordfighting could be simulated into real life
Swords=stab
Sprinkles=slash
and i was thinking that the daggers in the game r good at sprinkles and long bladed swords r good at swords but this is kinda backwards isnt it? i meen u dont exactly stab someone with a long sword and slash at someone with a dagger i dont want to go into all the stlyes and physics of swords so ill just tell u how i worked this out
stabs damage is focused in one area
slashes spread the damage to multiple areas
and well i was thinking maybe turn the sword patterns on there side but that wouldnt work with most swords and would make a huge difference to there value
but anyway i dont really want the swords changed it was just a thought that could be put into good use with future swords that may/hopefully be coming out
having all the swords changed would cause alot of confusion and make some people annoyed and maybe even cause those dreaded bugs :O
----------------------------------------
Angel of Thruth and Honor
~Syzerian Aralos~
[Sep 27, 2003 7:31:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

Re: Weird thought about swords Reply to this Post

Just posting a ditto to the comment.
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Sep 27, 2003 11:58:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
PsychoMantis

Syzerian wrote: 
well last night i was just thinking about swordfighting and i came across the thought that well swords r sort of backwards
i know it sounds weird but let me explain....
i was thinking about how the current swordfighting could be simulated into real life
Swords=stab
Sprinkles=slash

Well why do swords have to be stab and sprinkles slash?

Think of it this way. A stab motion peirces the body and deals damage along the inside. A slash cuts a path along the outside of the body. Either way, there is a direct line of damage. The different is just where it is located.

So technically, wouldnt it make more sense to say: Vertical swords = stabbing attack / Horizontal swords= Slashing motion ?

Sprinkles seem more like blungeoning damage, they hit like a wall(there are no clubs in this game or likewise weapons to hit this, however).

But really, after all, none of this is relevant, because in reality, you dont build attacks with blocks and send them at the enemy.

The current system seems to be working fine.
Legionnaire, Imperial Fist Chapter
Prince of Lost Legion
[Sep 28, 2003 1:51:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
HuskyTed

This is all very interesting. I like the thought you put behind it, but I think a horizontal sword should still be thought of as a stab... especially to a sprinkle fighter (like me) where they're more like a stab to the heart.

-------------------------
HuskyTed
- First mate of the Pillaging Penguins
Llama's like candy coated bunny holding a daisy and a puppy in one hand and a kitten in the other nice -Misery

[Sep 28, 2003 3:27:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://bobthewonderllama.8m.com    bobthewonderllama    HuskyTed    2722224 [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

I think more that sprinkles are small attacks, and swords are large attacks. So a stilletto is better than a foil for sprinkles, and worse for large attacks, which makes sense to me. Stiletto seems more of a "death by a thousand cuts" sword.

Inverse is true for the scimitar. It's a horrible sprinkly weapon, which makes sense, because you don't think of a scimitar for anything except big, slashing attacks.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Sep 28, 2003 6:41:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates