• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 44
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 21294 times and has 43 replies Next Thread
Poseidon
OceanMaster

Governor 101 (and link to Shopkeeping 101) Reply to this Post

For all the new Shopkeepers and Governors here's some information to get you all started:

Shopkeepers:

Duncan wrote a very nice getting started guide for the interface of shopkeeping, a few things might've changed since then but the basics are still there:
http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=570

Governors:

Governor's have a couple of tasks at this point:
- Building placement
- Commissioning new Navy/Training vessels

Buildings:

In your Island panel the governor has a button called Create Deed. Clicking on it will bring up a menu where you can choose which type of building and which facing to make.

The type being Iron Monger, Bank etc.
The facing is either left or right, and means it's either facing down-left or down-right.
There is one picture of a building per building/facing, so you might want to look around in Emerald to see how they all look, how tall they are and where the arrow is located, since those two can give you problems if you place too close to other buildings and/or too close to trees/rocks etc.

You can also enter the name of the building, the Governor chooses the name.

Then if you click on Update Information you get a box you move around on the ground that is the footprint of the building. Where it's green you can place, if it's red you can't.
Once you click on a spot you return to the menu and you're told how many if any commodities will be destroyed if you place here. Commodities are linked to the trees/rocks/herbs etc on the island. So place carefully but plan well!
If you want to try another spot just click on Update Information again.

When you have the building, facing, name and spot click on Accept and you get a deed in your inventory. This is the deed that you give to someone wanting to build a building, they place it in the slot in the Realtor purchase menu, and if the Realtor has all the commodities needed the building can begin and the building will appear when it's finished.

Training vessels:

To get a training vessel to circle around the island for people to train on in a safe environment, go to the Palace and seek out the Ye Papers station (the only station in the Palace, but sometimes in more places).
There is a button called Get Training Map. Clicking on it will create a training map in your inventory.

Now you need a ship with a deed. Go onto the ship and remove all other maps and clear the hold if you want. Then put the Training Map on the charting table and return to the palace and dump the ship deed on the Ye Papers screen. You CANNOT get the ship deed back (atleast not yet) so be very sure what you're doing.

The training vessel will start sailing instantly someone jumps onboard.

Navy vessels:

Get a ship that you have a deed for, and collect the maps for the routes that you want the navy ship to sail on. Go onboard and dump those maps on the charting table.
The navy ship will pick a valid map randomly whenever it reaches a port. So if you have it just going from Island A (yours) to Island B then it will just need one map and just go back and forth. But if it goes over Island B to Island C then there's no knowing if it will return to Island A or continue to Island C when it reaches Island B. So you can't really fix the route.
But other than that you can make the navy ships go anywhere you like. Inter Archipelago navy ships are quite common now too.
But the maps MUST include a valid route to get back to your island or the ship will be abandoned and only accessible to the Governor again.

Once the right maps are on the charting table and you've cleared the hold if you want, you go to the Palace and find the station Ye Papers, here you drop the ship deed and you have succesfully commissioned a Navy ship.

For both Training and Navy ships you can change the maps on the fly and they will change routes or even navy/training type. But you cannot decommission them (other than just dump them so they dont sail at all).
It is recommended that Navy vessels be Brigs or larger. Training vessels can be large sloops, but smalls are not encouraged.
----------------------------------------
[Sep 25, 2003 5:26:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

Re: Governor 101 (and link to Shopkeeping 101) Reply to this Post

as i have learned the hard way, the navy job be technically split: everything that involves the table in the palace be the job of the palace owner (which in our case is king pennsuedo), while the governor sees navy vessels in the docks and can handle maps on them.
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Sep 26, 2003 12:39:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Do ye have to supply the rum/cbs for the training and navy vessels?
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Sep 26, 2003 12:46:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Navy ships run without needing any rum.
[Sep 26, 2003 1:29:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

small sloops for navy ships Reply to this Post

Actually, I find that small sloops are good for me inter-archipelago navy ships (by the way, we have one going down to Hephaestus and Namath now), as people are mostly just hoppin' rides on 'em, so it's good if they're speedy, and the riders often aren't workin' anyway.
[Sep 26, 2003 1:57:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortario

Quick Question Reply to this Post

Is there any way for the governor to remove deeds from a shoppe owner? Say, if the the owner had been offline?
Diven
Lord of the Flag Silver Dawn
Strategist of The Yellow Turbans
[Sep 29, 2003 10:51:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hangmann

Send in the repo man. : )

Seriously, if their pricing infrastructure is set up properly the don't even need to be there to make the shop run. So long as people sell them commodities it will continue to manufacture whatever it was. Of course they wouldn't be able to change prices or anything.

It should be like the employment. If the shop owner doesn't sign on for 30 days the deed goes to the governer. That would make sense.
~Thorek
Senior Officer of the Serial Pillagers (Cobalt)
[Sep 29, 2003 12:17:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortario

Hangmann wrote: 
Send in the repo man.

There's a whole new shoppe for ya.

But seriously, if there was some shoppe owner that set his buy prices too high and overstocked his shoppe, that would stop his manufacturing process. If that said shoppe keeper does not come back, then the island would have wasted space that would otherwise go to another shoppe?
Diven
[Sep 29, 2003 3:52:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wolfger

What exactly do Navy ships do fer ye? Why is it worthwhile to commission a ship to the Navy?
Wolfger
SO of the Diamond Dogs
Lord of the flag No Homers
[Oct 5, 2003 10:37:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.wolfger.com    wolfgersilberbaer    wolf4coyot [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Off the top of my head, Navy ships can provide easy transport to other archipelagoes if the right maps are put on them.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Oct 5, 2003 10:43:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortario

Hmm Reply to this Post

I'm assuming that shoppe repossession is solely in the realm of the developers.

That being said, does anyone have an idea as to what happens when the deed to a shoppe is thrashed? Do the shoppe remain running but is owned by no-one?
Diven
[Oct 6, 2003 1:58:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

Deeds do not distintegrate. At least the ship deed I have doesn't display a condition.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mortario

I sure hope not. But what i actually meant was thrashing the deed. As in right clicking it and then confirming.
Diven
[Oct 6, 2003 5:38:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Syllabic

You can't. Nothing happens when you right-click a deed.
Armistice, trader extraordinaire
[Oct 6, 2003 7:56:03 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Arrindier [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

I've seen MANY navy ships LOADED with all sorts of goodies in their holds. Probably new players seeing what this "forage" things means. Can governors, when the navy boats dock, take advantage of these goods?
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[May 10, 2004 12:58:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

kaykordeath wrote: 
I've seen MANY navy ships LOADED with all sorts of goodies in their holds. Probably new players seeing what this "forage" things means. Can governors, when the navy boats dock, take advantage of these goods?

No
[May 10, 2004 1:30:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Nemo wrote: 
No

Such a shame. Such a waste.

Such an opportunity to pillage!
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[May 10, 2004 1:44:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
goodmanj

Such an opportunity to pillage!

Been there, done that. If you put a saboteur aboard the navy ship, it's ducks in a barrel.
Argonaut
Senior Officer, Six Leagues Under, Heavens Aligned
Fleet Officer, Sweet Pillage and Mayhem, Cobalt
[May 10, 2004 3:30:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Ok, why not have the navy bots do something like:

1. At an island, if they have a spare hour of forage, they forage once.
2. If they reach an island that has "buy" offers posted for goods, and they know (because they visit the islands regularly) that it's a good price, they sell those goods (round robin, if more than one buying at that price).

Benefits:

1. Keeps the economy flowing
2. Generates money for the govenors
3. Gives a real purpose to a large navy
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[May 10, 2004 4:15:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kilbia

Will charts aboard a navy vessel decay, or does yer illustrious Navy skipper take an' memorize 'em immediately? =)
Fetal Pirate courtesy of http://www.queenofwands.net/
[May 10, 2004 4:42:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Clementyne

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
3. Gives a real purpose to a large navy

The navy already has a purpose: the Logic Puzzle Taxi Service!
Clementyne - Cultist
Clementine - Arctic Blade
[May 10, 2004 5:01:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

Kilbia wrote: 
Will charts aboard a navy vessel decay, or does yer illustrious Navy skipper take an' memorize 'em immediately? =)

They will decay to Old, then remain at that state on the chart table.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[May 10, 2004 7:47:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piggerina

So, forgive me for being dense, but what is the purpose of having a navy now?

And does the navy have to be paid for out of palace coffers? If so, how much? (Is it on a per ship basis?)

Hogwash
Hogwash on the Midnight Ocean
[Oct 27, 2004 4:32:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaykordeath

Inter arch whisking without use of potion? At least FROM a non-outpost ...gateway
tht guy hird me 2 b a om
[Oct 27, 2004 5:04:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piggerina

Perhaps I should have said "What is the use of a navy to the island which pays for it?"

:D

Hogwash
[Oct 27, 2004 5:27:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

Well using Park as an example, it is perfect for whisking to Diamond as it is an interarch island. And for those islands that spawn greenies, the navy is still excellent practice.

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Oct 27, 2004 12:32:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
Piggerina

I have some questions about procedures for Governors and would welcome some help. :)

The 'Palace Help' in the 'Manage Palace Paperwork' interface currently states:

Navy must be setup from the Palace Paperwork table. Here you can allocate vessels to the Navy and manage them. However, first you must place the charts you wish the vessel to sail onboard the vessel, and remove all other maps. Navy ships must start from your home island, but can sail all over the Ocean. When they port at each island they pick a new route, randomly.

Then return to the palace and place the deed for the vessel into the Navy section. This is irreversible; once consigned to the Navy the ship is forever a Navy ship, at present.

This is clearly out of date, in that navy ships may now only sail to the islands with which your island has a direct chart connection. This is seriously to the disadvantage of Winter Solstice, which is alone in flag-owned Diamond islands in having no interarch chart.

I understand that the second paragraph is also out of date, and that ships CAN be reclaimed from the navy. In my case, I note that I hold deeds to 9 navy vessels though there are 11 in port. The two I don't hold are the Incredible Inkfish (frigate) and Booched Blowfish (war brig). Am I able to withdraw any ships from the navy, and what happens to them if I do?

Coupled with this query, I note from the 'Manage the Navy' heading, that

Palace Treasury

Proceeds from sales tax are deposited here (minus the cost of operating the navy)

I have noticed that even in the present dead state of the Winter economy, there is inflow into the coffers. It remains to be seen whether this will simply cover the tax bill for the Palace, or whether there will be a surplus which can be used for the common good.

Can someone give me the definitive answer on this? Does it mean that the larger the navy, the more it costs to operate? Will the Palace Coffers benefit if the size of the navy is reduced? It makes little sense to have 9 ships plying Winter-Cnossos and/or Winter-Oyster.

NB I am not talking about property taxes - these are set at Building Maintenance +0% and so do not yield any income to the Palace.

I should be most grateful for assistance from experienced governors/OMs on this. Thank ye.

Hogwash
[Dec 11, 2004 10:30:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Piggerina wrote: 
Am I able to withdraw any ships from the navy, and what happens to them if I do?

Dmentia did this to a Park navy ship. It became part of her crew's ships, none the worse for wear.
[Dec 12, 2004 3:29:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Navy ships will be placed in your own crew if you take them from the table. Why you have ships in the navy without deeds, I'm not sure... Maybe YOU're the one who stole all the NPP's from Zeta's ships?

Navy wages are taken directly out of the hole in the sky (yes, that's a technical term...) and are not, as stated in the documents, taken from the palace coffers. My guess is that they intend for them to eventually be taken from the palace.

Poe in your coffers is from taxes spent (some of it anyway) and you probably will notice a surplus even at 0%.
[Dec 14, 2004 4:16:26 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

A question of economy Reply to this Post

I will be the first to admit that I don't know much about shops and the trading/shop keeping side of Y!PP, so I'm hoping that people actively speak up in this thread to fill in for my lack of expertise in this area.

We are approaching the point where of doom has a full set of shops finished on Zeta. The next set of shops will be for allies. However, because the Pearl arch has only so many pirates and only so much business to fuel the economy, I don't think we should build that second set until it can be supported by a robust economy. I know that many people out in the ocean are impatient to get shops, but having a shop is useless if there aren't enough customers, workers or commodities to make it a successful business venture.

So the question I put before you is how will we know when the economy is strong enough to support additional sets of shops? Do you think that we should use our general judgement and the length of queue times as how we decide on this? Or the number of people homed in the arch? Or the number of people in the arch when we do a /who?

Does anyone know offhand exactly what the requirements are for an island to spawn greenies? As with other arches, it's also problematic that there is not allowed to be a navy that goes outside of the arch (although we could look at this as a good point - whisk potionless folks are trapped in our arch! ;)).

- Guppymomma
"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Dec 14, 2004 10:39:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 44   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates