• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1357 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
Amberyl

Gift certificates Reply to this Post

When the game goes to pay-for-play, will it be possible to buy account time for other people?

For instance, there are folks here who do YPP fan artwork for other people. It might be nice for other people to be able to gift them in account time as thanks for their time, in an anonymous manner that doesn't require the recipient to know anything other than the username of the person who's giving the gift.

It'd also facillitate being able to buy a subscription for someone as a gift -- i.e., there are plenty of circumstances when I wouldn't want to open up an account on someone's behalf because I don't want to pay for it forever, but I might want to give them three months of play as a birthday present.
----------------------------------------
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Sep 25, 2003 6:31:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
Dylan

Re: Gift certificates Reply to this Post

Apparently, yes.
[Sep 25, 2003 6:49:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Very VERY fine idea. It would be a great way to keep our Riskybootses in business and in the game.
[Sep 25, 2003 7:28:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

I'm guessing this is what the mysterious Doubloons are for.

Ringers, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
Quartermaster Bates of Mog's Marauders
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 25, 2003 8:44:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Nay, Dubloons signfy membership in the MATC. we got them at the last meeting.
[Sep 25, 2003 11:05:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JosephConrad

and the MATC would be?

Mother's Against Tossing Carp?

Mutiny Against The Caste-system?

Mad Ale Trashing Carousers?

Leggat,
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JosephConrad at Sep 25, 2003 11:27:09 PM]
[Sep 25, 2003 11:27:09 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

That's "Vatc" Dev. Reply to this Post

Devonin reveals himself to be just a pretender. Or is deliberately misinforming. Ye sure yer not yer evil twin posting as ye? Hahaha.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 25, 2003 11:27:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Though any VATC would automatically be an MATC, since all involved have mass.
[Sep 25, 2003 11:37:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
lurkingowl

I want gift subscriptions! Reply to this Post

I'm being good and finding and existing thread on my topic.

Is there any plan to have gift subcriptions, gift certificates, code, etc? Some mechanism for me to give people subscription time without giving them all my billling info, or taking over their account? A one-shot code that could be e-mailed, PMed, /telled would work. Once it's used, it can't be used again. Or just let us put a pirate/account name in when we pay fer time? Ye might want some mechanism to keep from ending up prepaid for years from kindly folks.

I'd quite like to be able to, say, give LeJerque a few months of play for all his work on the puzzle extravaganza, or get some of my friends hooked just a little more. Or just be kindly to greenies.

Livejournal allows you to pay for other people's accounts, anonymously or not, and it's a feature that I'm finding myself increasiingly fond of.

Plus, Ringers, it can only lead to more doubloons for ye.
[Sep 1, 2004 7:34:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

If you send a check or PayPal, you can identify it as a gift for another account. There is no interface for doing it by credit card yet, as I understand, short of taking over their account temporarily (note that your credit card data is safe if you do, as it's not revealed, but I'm guessing it will be charged when the subscription time goes out, like normal CC subscriptions are).
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Sep 1, 2004 7:38:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lurkingowl

Doh! I didn't see it in the billing screen, but I didn't look all the way through the FAQ.
Thanks for the info. Hmm.
[Sep 1, 2004 7:43:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Bumpzord!

I had the following typed out as a new topic, but decided to search at the last minute. I had no idea you could give gift doubloons over Paypal. However, I don't have a Paypal account, so....

I would love a gift certificate function in this game. My secret plan of course is to legitimize all of my accounts at once instead of having to switch accounts and rack up several $3 charges. I would log in on my main account, buy several gift certificates, forward them to my alt accounts, and only have to enter my credit card info once. The best part is that it won't just benefit people with labor badge collections. I have a crewmate who accidentally locked herself out of her account because she changed her password twice in one day so that a friend could buy her doubloons for her birthday. Her account wasn't stolen, she just couldn't remember what her latest password was. If there were gift certificates, she wouldn't have had to take such precautions.

Yes, I'm aware of the existence of /tip and /gift. So was my crewmate and her friend. You can tip as many doubloons as you want to one account, but if that account never bought doubloons in real life, it's still considered a trial account. The pirates there run the risk of being deleted and may receive poorer customer service. Also, tipping won't generate shanghai coins. The idea of a gift certificate is not only to give doubs or a sub, but to make that account a paid account with all the benefits that entails.

It should work a good deal like a regular payment on the buyer's end and one of those promotional offers on the reciever's end. The buyer would log into their account and go to the billing page. They'd click on the Gift Certificate page and buy as normal. The only extra thing they'd need would be the account name of the recipient. The recipient would then log on and get a popup in their Ahoy tab that told them they needed to claim their gift. There might also be a personal message here, such as "Happy Birthday, Rhodin." They'd click the button and get their doubs or sub. An email can be sent to the buyer saying the gift was picked up.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Feb 5, 2007 5:43:11 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
lanndser

Massive bumps...one 1 yearer and another 2 yearer. Anyway, lubbin the idea. I know of many times I could have used this.
Ship on Sage
[Feb 5, 2007 5:49:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates