• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 24
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 6053 times and has 23 replies Next Thread
garf

the magick inn - quick inter-arch travel Reply to this Post

with two new soon-to-be populated archipelagos, the problem of inter-arch travel comes up once again.

i know that cleaver specifially wants that inter-arch travel no be an easy thing to do. however, considering the current social structure of azure, where a lot of people know each other who now will move even further away, i think that at least a temporary and comfortable way of inter-arch travel would be appropriate.

after all, for anyone who knows people in other archs, inter-arch travel by /job is already quite easy to do, and sooner or later there will be navy routes open to everyone for that purpose, so why not make this minor inconvenience one that ye can avoid for paying a small fee?

for this, the inn comes to mind. it currently serves no purpose but providing some drinking tables.. how about letting them have some magick rooms that lets ye travel to any other inn on the ocean for a fee? i would imagine that something like 100 poe would be a reasonable fee considering the time ye save by this.

to make this easy from a programming perspective (after all, this would be intended for the current state of the game), it could just use the bank transfer interface, only with inns.
----------------------------------------
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Sep 23, 2003 9:51:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
JosephConrad

Re: the magick inn - quick inter-arch travel Reply to this Post

Seems a fine idea, at least the travel part, but why not just open up a new shop type. Travel agencies. Nah. What about a isle selection drop-down menu at the dock/ferry selection screen. Instead of a free-roundabout, purchase a non-stop ticket, and wait a brief delivery time, say, until the rest of the passengers buy a ticket. You may even be able to bring money with you for a modestly increased premium, say 200. Compared to 30 or 40 k-poe, that's small beans. who knows. but why particularly a magic room?

Leggat
[Sep 23, 2003 10:59:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

I now want to put in a bid for an Inn on Nuptial. Reply to this Post

I support any idea to keep people coming to see my name on the Inn.

This idea would remove the navy as the primary means of interarchipelago travel for pirates without friends. I don't see this as a terribly bad thing, though. I don't mind at all easy travel between civilized islands. Uncolonized islands still need to be sailed to, one way or the other.

If so, though, I'd like to charge variable rates depending on where the pirate wishes to go. I mean, I'd probably charge higher to go directly to Alpha (maybe just a few poe more) and perhaps Squiddles and I could work out a deal whereby it costs marginally less to transfer between our respective Inns.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 23, 2003 11:25:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Actually, an NPP in the inn could do these transactions, which would coincidentally clear up some of the stuff on the port screen.
[Sep 23, 2003 11:56:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Re: Inns are a universe unto themselves Reply to this Post

Gotagota wrote: 
I support any idea to keep people coming to see my name on the Inn.

...and perhaps Squiddles and I could work out a deal whereby it costs marginally less to transfer between our respective Inns.

How 'bout if it's free to move between Inns, and ye jest need to pay us a stiff fee to get back out into the World? That'd ensure we have some good-sized drinking crowds, as everyone tries to wager their way out.

Oh, the possibilities...

--Sq
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Sep 23, 2003 11:59:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

Considering that ye can't bring yer poe with ye when ye travel like that, ye'd have a lot of people stuck in your inn with no poe to buy any drinks either.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Sep 24, 2003 12:04:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Where's the memo? How come I didn't get cc'd on the memo? Reply to this Post

Dorel wrote: 
Considering that ye can't bring yer poe with ye when ye travel like that, ye'd have a lot of people stuck in your inn with no poe to buy any drinks either.

Travel like what? Did they start the Magic Room thing already, without tellin' me?! Blast it, how come I'm always the last to know?

Besides, I haven't sold a drink since the day I opened the place! An' if Fronsac has, he sure hasn't told me how he did it.

Don' matter, anyways. I jest like seein' a crowd carousing. Heck, I'd throw a hunnerd poe into the fray once in a while jest t' give 'em somethin' to fight over.

--Sq
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Sep 24, 2003 2:23:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
SCHALAAY

I think the idea of a magic whisking room is slightly less plausible than the idea of an inn notice board where you can charter inter-arch ferries.
[Sep 24, 2003 5:29:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

I don't like the idea. I'd rather have something player driven then some magical door that you walk through to get to somewhere.

How about you make it so that governors can charge people to take their ferries/naval ships to various locations. That way there is a big incentive for governors to have more ships going to the various locations in the archs. It would also give governors more of a role. Profit is a powerful motivator and having players determine travel versus some magically coded thingy is far better in my opinion.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Sep 24, 2003 5:43:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Have a full set of intra-arch maps on several navy ships for those who want to job, and have navy ships that go just inter-arch for a fee to board, which can be refunded, or pehaps just subsidied if you actually job while you go?
[Sep 24, 2003 5:57:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

Regular transport ships might be nice; you pay a fee and get on board at the designated time, and you can carry money and possessions with you. Like a Navy ship, but without the whisking. Plus the risk of being pillaged; possibly small because a ferry ship might be less lucrative like a Navy ship, or then again people might hit them more since the odds are someone's transporting money.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Sep 24, 2003 6:46:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
garf

the magick thingy was the best way i could come up with to put this into the inns. i didnt suggest an own building type as that would most definitely cost a lot more of development time.

and as the whole point of this would be to be a quick lunch break hack that jack or peghead or red could do in 5 minutes, time is a large factor there.
- Randal

[Sep 24, 2003 11:18:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

I rather like the difficulty of traveling between archs, I actually wish it was alot harder to move between archs, people who are in Diamond or Diamondites ect, I would really like it if there were more distinctions between archs and if its really easy to get between them then there isn't much of a point to having the different archs.
Kelyon Hawk of Fidelis Bellum
[Sep 24, 2003 11:48:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

theres various problems with that. in the momentary state of azure, people have friends from all over. many of those will now move to different archs. would you really be alright with being unable to meet them unless you invest significiant time?

and on midnight, when starting locations are chosen randomly, what about the rather typical situation of some friends starting to play at the same time? you want them to be unable to meet for days (if travel gets costly)? that might be rather frustrating to them.

also, later, when housing comes in, player inventories could be severely limited, and even further restrictions could be put onto that so ye cant go on easy shopping tours (not mentioning that poe obviously wont travel with ye). in the case of houses being a rather rare thing, there could be public storage buildings that provide room for a small daily fee, similar to station lockers.
- Randal

[Sep 25, 2003 12:07:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

If its friends trying to meet up with each other, there is a very simple solution already in place. Whisking using a boat. Just ask a crewmate to hop on a ship so you can meet up in the same place. If the friend isn't a crewmate, just job them in and whisk em over using a ship. I do this all the time to chat with a friend or get a battle of skill with them.

Only downside to this might be if both friends are in seperate crews and neither of them are officers, so they can't job. But really the probabilties start getting really remote if you are talking about two people who can't find a way to whisk over, both are in seperate crews and neither is an officer and/or can't get someone to do a quick job.

I don't like the idea of the magical inn or whatever. I am still kind of iffy on whether I like the ability to transfer money so easily between archs especially with the economies in the archs so disperate.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Sep 25, 2003 12:15:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kraken

I think the ease of travel now has something to do with the economy being so booched. Making travel easier will only compound that, especially if those changes were to make it to Midnight. Something only holds value if someone wants it. Its value goes up or down depending on how readily that person can get said thing. Allowing people to easily go to any colonized island makes getting all things much easier, thus making them cheaper. It doesn't really matter to me how easy it is to move around in Azure, as its only a testing ocean, and already has a hurt economy by a lot of other factors besides this one, but I would really be disappointed if the trend continued on Midnight.
Gorth

Midnight:
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.

Azure:
-Owner of Spring Blade Iron Monger on Spring Island.
-Senior Officer of Dastardly Deviant Devils.
[Sep 25, 2003 12:25:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=2771

Has the arguement for having more seperated economy, which I, for one, would greatly like. As Kraken said, if its easy to get around the economy becomes booched, things should be hard to get, people shouldn't be able to hop on a plane and get to China (from the East Indies), thats a long trip that should take some time and some effort. Remember the era, you can't just get every where quickly.

Some allowances have to be made, of course, for keeping the game interesting, like whisking to ships, but where possible I would like for people to have to do some work to get around. I would like it to go so far as to say you have to be in the same arch as the ship that you're trying to board. I.E. if a ship is up in Pearl it can't job any one, therefore they better get their jobbers before they head up there. Right now its cheaper for a crew to have one officer on a ship to take it up there, man it once its there, then have one officer bring it back. Thereby saving alot of poe in rum. While that doesn't decrease the amount of fun the game is, it would require more forethought if it was more difficult to pillage in uninhabitied archs. Traveling about is just to easy right now.

[Edit] For getting friends together in once midnight comes out perhaps you could have them choose which arch to start in.
[Sep 25, 2003 2:57:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nykkel

If it's a "can't socialize with my friends who live in other archipelagoes" problem, what if there were a large Inn on an island out in the middle of nowhere? Either have ships that go there (probably too much hassle) or portals from existing Inns (probably better, and perhaps with a fee). Players could go to this large central Inn to socialize with each other, and later return to (only) the Inn on the island they came from.

To keep this a social-only thing, the Trading and Betting-during-Drinking/Swordfighting abilities might have to be disabled on that island, as people could otherwise use it as a way to trade items without using normal transportation. Or you could just make it impossible to drag items out of the Ye item list while on the island, so people could still bet poe on contests of skill.

I've been on other large online RPGs that use a similar concept -- there's a socializing area you can reach from many other places in the game world, but you can't perform anything game-useful while there, other than talking to people. And when you leave, you end up right back where you were when you entered the social area, so people can't use it as transportation.
[Sep 25, 2003 2:58:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

Doesn't seem real time era specific. . . sorry history major. . .

I could see that working, but I think the main complaint is that they can't sail together.

(is it so bad to have some long lost friends finally finding each other after a day or maybe so much as a weeks hard travel?)
[Sep 25, 2003 3:11:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

Jothmar wrote: 
I could see that working, but I think the main complaint is that they can't sail together.

Then, IMO, they should probably all be in the same crew and have the same home island. That's why those concepts exist. There's always /tell (and out-of-game mechanisms like this board) for more casual ocean-wide friendships.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Sep 25, 2003 4:04:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jothmar

Much agreed, I have many friends in other crews that I don't often sail with.
[Sep 26, 2003 4:30:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tesseract

Aur wrote: 
I don't like the idea. I'd rather have something player driven then some magical door that you walk through to get to somewhere.

How is it less unbelievable than "You are being whisked home on magical winds".
Celb[size=9]
Captain of Freehand Circle
Greeter of Epsilon Island
Selbstlade[size=9]
Tired and retired... Former Captain of The Cartographers
[Sep 29, 2003 4:58:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JosephConrad

Sorry Tesseract, but I believe the nature and origin of your account name makes you a bit biased on this topic, don't you think?

All in all, yea, Magical Winds aren't much more piratey than Magical Doors at Inns, but my original post stands, er, except for that flim-flam about risk-free or semi-risk-free money transport.

off for the crazy bream,
Leggat.
[Sep 29, 2003 6:27:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tesseract

JosephConrad wrote: 
Sorry Tesseract, but I believe the nature and origin of your account name makes you a bit biased on this topic, don't you think?

Hehe. "Well, the fifth dimension's a tesseract. You add that to the other four dimensions and you can travel through space without having to go the long way around."

You get ten points for being sharp, JosephConrad.
Celb[size=9]
Captain of Freehand Circle
Greeter of Epsilon Island
Selbstlade[size=9]
Tired and retired... Former Captain of The Cartographers
[Sep 29, 2003 9:01:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates