• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 3
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 474 times and has 2 replies Next Thread
Matthias

Digitally Colouring Pencil Art Reply to this Post

Okay, I'm havin' problems with this.

I've scanned a picture in, black and white at 600 dpi. The scanned lines aren't solid, but fuzz out on the edges. This makes things difficult because when I select an area, it goes around the fuzzy edge. I want to put some colour in and put an outline around it, which I can do automatically by selecting an area. There's a bit of a catch-22 here, though: I can't make a precise outline without a precise area, coloured or not, and I can't get a precise coloured area without a precise outline.

Is there any way to have this done automatically, or do I have to go and manually draw a line in?

Or do I just scan it in at a lower resolution?
----------------------------------------
I took my own advice.
[Nov 20, 2005 4:03:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
d4rk0n3

Re: Digitally Colouring Pencil Art Reply to this Post

This is similiar to what you are trying to accomplish.

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?p=436549
[Nov 20, 2005 8:36:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Re: Digitally Colouring Pencil Art Reply to this Post

Okay, I'm havin' problems with this.

I've scanned a picture in, black and white at 600 dpi. The scanned lines aren't solid, but fuzz out on the edges. This makes things difficult because when I select an area, it goes around the fuzzy edge. I want to put some colour in and put an outline around it, which I can do automatically by selecting an area. There's a bit of a catch-22 here, though: I can't make a precise outline without a precise area, coloured or not, and I can't get a precise coloured area without a precise outline.

Is there any way to have this done automatically, or do I have to go and manually draw a line in?

Or do I just scan it in at a lower resolution?
What I would do (if you're using Fireworks or Photoshop or something else suitably complex) is create an exact duplicate layer on top of the layer you're trying to colour.

Layer on top:
- Set to multiply (to make the white parts disappear)
- Leave the lines as-is

Layer below:
- Set contrast to 500% (well. As high as it'll go.)
- Colour on this layer

You get colourable lines below, but you keep the prettier lines on top.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Nov 20, 2005 11:19:27 AM]
[Nov 20, 2005 11:18:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates