• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Forum Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 247
Posts: 247   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 45838 times and has 246 replies Next Thread
Shuranthae

[Cobalt] Familiar (Lime/Pink Parrot) Rum Hostage 12.11.05

Dear Cobalt,

I have your bird and if you ever want to see it again you will follow my instructions. My demands are simple: whoever is able to give me the most rum in a single ship by December 11th shall gain control of the bird, possibly unharmed. I will log on Cobalt on the noted day to accept the ransoms at around 16:00 hours Pacific Standard Time. If the time is too inconvenient you may PM me to find a more suitable time before December 11th. In the event of a tie, we will have a tie breaker with the same instructions but only those who tied are allowed to participate. Tie breakers will have a due date on every Sunday after the eleventh of December. No rum or ships shall be returned.

If you deviate from my instructions in the slightest way, the wings on your oh so precious bird will be clipped.

Maniacally Yours,
Shuranthae
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Shuranthae at Nov 12, 2005 9:28:15 PM]
[Nov 12, 2005 7:25:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moo10

Re: [Cobalt] Familiar (Lime/Pink Parrot) Rum Hostage 12.04.05

Wow... very interesting contest. One question though. I noticed you said fill a single sloop. Wouldn't that result in a lot of ties? Considering the total mass and volume are limited?
RETIRED

Octupa of the Midnight and Sage Ocean
Littledog of the Cobalt and Viridian Ocean
[Nov 12, 2005 8:15:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Octupa [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I'm actually still thinking about that one. I think I want a lot of ties to draw out the agony instead of letting it all out in one go, but on the other hand it might go on for some time. I'll have a single sloop limit for the first few weeks of December and if it keeps tying then I might change it.

The real question is... are people actually crazy enough to fill a sloop with rum?
[Nov 12, 2005 8:17:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ph33rosophy

Yes.
Exquisite of Imperial Pillagers
[Nov 12, 2005 8:21:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
skington

Clearly, if you get a tie, you move up to the next class of ship.

Whoever owns a Grand Frigate (and far too much rum) wins!
Leaddolphin, Captain of Serve No Porpoise, Valiant Prince on Cobalt. I want your Plaices!
The Vampire Muroni wrote: 
the hubby teases me when he catches me reading the back of shampoo bottles or the Thesaurus.

[Nov 12, 2005 8:28:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
jeff101

does it matter what island the sloop is on?

will you give us updates on dec 4 on who has the most rum and how much that is so we can beat it?

Thanks, Jeff

S.O of kingdom Hearts
Jeffiscool
[Nov 12, 2005 8:30:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Foilistc

Clip away.

Foilistc
I'm old. I don't look it but I'm beginning to feel it in my heart...
[Nov 12, 2005 8:58:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.carlknoch.com [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Well I don't care about ships so they can be whatever class, I'm only interested in the rum. And no, no telling from me. If you people want to announce how much your competition needs to beat you, you can.
[Nov 12, 2005 8:59:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

1. Matter what Island?

2. Matter if its in orders?
Zife
Senior Officer of Black Death
Host of the 11th Black Death Tournament
Co-Host of the 10th Black Death Tournament
[Edit 2 times, last edit by char at Nov 12, 2005 9:03:37 PM]
[Nov 12, 2005 9:00:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Whoops, sorry missed that island one. Doesn't matter what island it's on. The rum does have to be on the boat when it's given to me.
[Nov 12, 2005 9:02:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

1 more.

Do you keep the rum if were not the most?
Zife
[Nov 12, 2005 9:04:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
amyliz33

He's...he's a madman!

Some stats for consideration:
        Mass    Volume
====== ======
Rum 1 1
Sloop 13,500 20,250

Mass becomes the limiting factor. Making the (generous) assumption that you can get 13,500 rum for 50 PoE each, the ransome would cost 675,000 PoE. Assuming another 15,000 PoE for the sloop, the total comes to almost 700,000 PoE.

The question is, do losing entrants to this demented auction get their rum back, or is this the evilest extortion event ever devised?

-Nazdar

(Shur: If you wanted people to do the math themselves, I'll gladly take this down.)
Nazdar & Amyliz
[Nov 12, 2005 9:04:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Hehe, I said in the original post that no rum or ships shall be returned. So yes, it's not quite like an auction because everyone who plays is a loser except (arguably) the winner. It's also silent (unless you choose to honestly announce how much you have) so no one knows how much the winning number will be. I mean it's entirely possible that most people that read this will just assume they won't win and not play, so the winning one could be incredibly low.

The other key difference is that rum isn't the same as poe. It's bought and made, not earned. There's also something of a limited number so it's entirely possible for someone to hoard all the rum in the ocean, then bid a low percentage of that simply because no one else has enough rum to match it.
[Nov 12, 2005 9:10:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

He's...he's a madman!
700,000 PoE.

The question is, do losing entrants to this demented auction get their rum back, or is this the evilest extortion event ever devised?

-Nazdar

Yes, he is a madman, but he's a cute madman so it's OK.

With regards to the 700,000, it gets even better! That's right, ties.

If you tie, we'll you're just going to have to do better, won't you? And you WILL do better, because you're not going to just walk away from 700k, are you? It's deliciously evil, and my only complaint is that I donated most of my cobalt poe to the old crew, and am now sitting on a mere 70k or so there with one sloopy. I won't be competing =(

Out of curiosity, how much have cobalt auctions been going for? I know Midnight familiars are a few million, so if cobalt runs about the same, this could still end up being the cheapest way to get one, for the winner. And the most expensive desperate act by everybody else =)
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Nov 12, 2005 9:16:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

I'm pretty sure it'll be cheaper than an auction because I can't imagine there being that much rum in the Ocean. Cheaper for the winner, at least. Bwah ha ha ...
[Nov 12, 2005 9:18:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
IVdripper

Shuranthae said:

Hehe, I said in the original post that no rum or ships shall be returned.

That being said, one must wonder what the madman will do with all that rum once he gets it.

Things that make you go hmm..

IVdripper (who will be in Key West on December 4th at the y!pp party)

IVdripper/IVdripperone

"They sicken of the calm who know the storm."
-- Dorothy Parker
[Nov 12, 2005 9:25:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    On the porch, with my friends, drinking brandy,    watching the sea, and talking 'bout the good ol' days. [Link]  Go to top 
Scrletmorgan

I love you, Shuranthae, will you marry me?

/flirt

Ok, so, we don't necessarily have to fill a sloop for this, thats just the minimum size ye'd accept? So if that's true, then if someone fills their Grand Frigate full of rum, they would most likely be the winner? Eeps! I cannot even fathom how much rum would go into a grand frig!

Lyric
is glad she doesn't own a grand frig!
I am.....just me.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Scrletmorgan at Nov 12, 2005 10:22:02 PM]
[Nov 12, 2005 9:26:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Crap, I forgot about that party. *reschedules* One extra week then!

Edit: And no, it doesn't have to be a sloop. I still don't think there'll actually be enough rum to go over a sloop though, but it'll be interesting to see...

On another note, there's likely to be a lot of people moving rum around to get it all on one ship the week or so before. PvPers enjoy!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shuranthae at Nov 12, 2005 9:29:18 PM]
[Nov 12, 2005 9:27:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Irelay

Wow, most awesome. auction. ever.
Irelay l Otherwhen l Water Sleeps
Mightnight Ocean pirate since August '04
[Nov 12, 2005 9:33:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
char

Hehe, I said in the original post that no rum or ships shall be returned. So yes, it's not quite like an auction because everyone who plays is a loser except (arguably) the winner.

Its exactly the same but totally different...

Ok I'll bite... See you in a month
Zife
[Nov 12, 2005 9:45:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yorkyblue

Great news for distellery owners.

Come by my stall, only 120 PoE a unit! :p
a Song for the Deaf.

Rissymay wrote: 
I was taking a state capital quiz, and I got my own state wrong.

[Nov 13, 2005 6:06:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
losgunna

Re: [Cobalt] Familiar (Lime/Pink Parrot) Rum Hostage 12.11.05

Congrats, Shur, you've managed to totally hose the rum economy on Cobalt for a good month for certain, and most likely much farther on, when you then release a flood of a million rum onto the market that you got for free. Unless, of course, you're collecting for a future blockade, so that you can hose people that way.
[Nov 13, 2005 6:43:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
rsenkrantz

Heh maybe for the first day. Wait till sugar cane is bidding for 20 poe a unit, or wood for 40. Not even cannonballs will get made.
"You know, I just gotta say that everytime Rsenkrantz posts I love him just a little bit more."
- Loola

"Dood -- I'll give ya 10 poe if I can be a card card carrying member of the Rosey fan club."
-Lisakayela
[Nov 13, 2005 7:34:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rsenkrantz [Link]  Go to top 
Rappak

Question!

is it just rum or could we substitute Grog and swill?
Rappak, memmer of the oceans.

Rappak- Ex-king of Something Powerful (Cobalt)/ex-Lord of Indestructible Fury, a caged free-bird forever.
Rappak- Officer in Easily Distracted (Midnight)/Mem helper in CT/Where am I?
[Nov 13, 2005 8:08:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Maquereau

Congrats, Shur, you've managed to totally hose the rum economy on Cobalt for a good month for certain, and most likely much farther on, when you then release a flood of a million rum onto the market that you got for free. Unless, of course, you're collecting for a future blockade, so that you can hose people that way.

The familiar event as described in the OP had to be endorsed and checked by the Ringers. If it was going to disrupt the economy, I doubt that this event will go ahead (although I'm pretty sure Shur hopes that will happen ;p). No familiar event has ever been run for the benefit of the organiser. At the end of the day, it remains an auction albeit with much fancier clothing.
[Nov 13, 2005 8:36:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
yorkyblue

Heh maybe for the first day. Wait till sugar cane is bidding for 20 poe a unit, or wood for 40. Not even cannonballs will get made.

Luckily I have thousends of sugar cane and a lot of wood.
a Song for the Deaf.

Rissymay wrote: 
I was taking a state capital quiz, and I got my own state wrong.

[Nov 13, 2005 8:38:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Searchertoo

The familiar event as described in the OP had to be endorsed and checked by the Ringers. If it was going to disrupt the economy, I doubt that this event will go ahead (although I'm pretty sure Shur hopes that will happen ;p). No familiar event has ever been run for the benefit of the organiser. At the end of the day, it remains an auction albeit with much fancier clothing.

I was under the impression the familiar in this event was won in the drinking contest yesterday(?) and therefore, this event is actually like a sale of the familiar. So the organizer gets to benefit.
[Nov 13, 2005 8:43:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

I was under the impression the familiar in this event was won in the drinking contest yesterday(?) and therefore, this event is actually like a sale of the familiar. So the organizer gets to benefit.

This is true, the familar is Shur's personal parrot. With that said, it's doubtful that the Ringers will allow this event to continue if/when they get a flood of complaints about the price gauging that will inevitably occur.

I love the idea of filling a ship for the unlikely chance to win. Though I think it would be more successful and less harmful to the economy (therefore more likely to actually finish) if one had to fill a ship to the brim (and I mean to the exact max) with anything and everything that can go into a hold. The most expensive ship wins the familar and Shur gets millions worth of shot, rum and commods.

EDIT: I didn't finish my idea... whoops.
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dragonlilly at Nov 13, 2005 9:05:43 AM]
[Nov 13, 2005 9:03:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
skington

It's not completely booching the economy, though - Lima also has a healthy supply of grog dockside, and as soon as somebody bothers to sail some wood over to Kirin I expect the same thing to happen there.
Leaddolphin, Captain of Serve No Porpoise, Valiant Prince on Cobalt. I want your Plaices!
The Vampire Muroni wrote: 
the hubby teases me when he catches me reading the back of shampoo bottles or the Thesaurus.

[Nov 13, 2005 9:47:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I agree with Lead, there is still plenty of swill and grog for sailing.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Nov 13, 2005 9:52:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 247   Pages: 9   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates