• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 14
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1361 times and has 13 replies Next Thread
Seadogjoe

Hi-Res Desktop Icon Reply to this Post

I've been using software that makes my icons Vista size, which I really like, but Y!PPs icon looks cruddy when that big. I would do it myself if I was any good at computer art, but I really can't. If anyone had the time and thought it worth it, could they make a Hi-Res Y!PP icon for me and others with the same thoughts?
[Nov 11, 2005 10:35:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
emerson

Re: Hi-Res Desktop Icon Reply to this Post

Might want to move this to Mariner's Muse
----------------------------------------
Cleaver shouts, "I lub this island."
Personally I think that TITS are a technique if they are used less than once every three moves. Any more than that, and you're just waving your exploits in their faces. - Flamer
[Nov 11, 2005 11:24:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seadogjoe

How? (lol, I'm not too forum savvy)
[Nov 11, 2005 12:01:07 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

How? (lol, I'm not too forum savvy)

You can't move it personally. Either a moderator can move it, or you can post your question again over there.

(Not a stupid question, in case you were wondering).
[Nov 11, 2005 12:28:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Seadogjoe

Okay, thanks, I'll remember it.
[Nov 11, 2005 11:19:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

I'm not sure what the PC icon looks like these days - but the Mac icon is very snazzy and seems like it might be able to blend in to vista-land.

It's gingerbread and we love it.
[Nov 12, 2005 2:31:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Snazzy.

Faulkston,
:-)
[Nov 12, 2005 2:37:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

They've been getting a lot of mileage out of that female pirate.
I took my own advice.
[Nov 13, 2005 3:01:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seadogjoe

That does not come in .ico formats, and may even be a bit large, but I'll try it if you know any way of converting it to ico?
[Nov 14, 2005 3:28:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Shouts to Microangelo! They can convert PNGs directly to icons.

It's exactly the same size as the png posted in the forum, and the grey is actually transparent, IE users. It's on Tripod, so you actually have to go to the page and dodge the ads to download it.

http://benzene265.tripod.com/yppicon.html
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Nov 14, 2005 5:32:18 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

(OT) I remember when Tripod had no ads... Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

And, my god, I feel old. (/OT)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 14, 2005 5:40:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Seadogjoe

I think ye all for yer work, but I can't imagine how you fit anything on the desktop and Mac, or maybe a misunderstanding somethingabout Mac, but it is huge and is too big for even Vista size icons.

Any other ideas?
[Nov 15, 2005 8:47:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tamsin

I think ye all for yer work, but I can't imagine how you fit anything on the desktop and Mac, or maybe a misunderstanding somethingabout Mac, but it is huge and is too big for even Vista size icons.

Any other ideas?

On the Mac - application icons are created at a size of 256 x 256. That's the maximum size they can be displayed at, but they're often not. Instead, the icons are resized to fit a user's preferences. The Mac uses this thing called a dock which is essentially a holding zone for commonly used apps, files, folders, etc. Applications are represented in the dock by their icon. The dock has its own set of preferences, one of which is this pretty piece of eye-candy known as magnification. And that's where you're most likely to see the 256 x 256 version. If you're really curious, there's a movie over here that shows a bit of it. Magnification is about 2/3rds of the way through.

Now that you've got way more information than you could ever want on the Mac - It would seem to me that you've got a lovely hi-res version at 256 x 256 in .png and .ico format. Once you've downloaded the file, resizing the image to whatever size you need shouldn't be a problem with a basic image editing app. If you're still running into problems with this, shoot me a PM with what dimensions you do need, I'll resize accordingly and get you a .png. Then you can use that Microangelo application Benzene mentioned to turn it into an .ico.
It's gingerbread and we love it.
[Nov 15, 2005 11:07:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Benzene265

Well, what size do they have to be? I don't have Vista. Microangelo Creator has a free trial, if you need a program that saves .ico files. Alternately, I could shrink that one to the right size and re-upload it.
A Ghyslaine and a Rhodin for every Ocean, but mostly on Viridian.
Make the natural choice for our oceans: Google Rhodin Blonde!
[Nov 18, 2005 8:33:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Have you considered becoming a well-tanned blonde? [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates