• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 903 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
armless

Redevelop south-east Jorvik Reply to this Post

The corner of Jorvik to the south of Cameloot, where Wyvern's Pride have most of their shoppes, is a bit of a mess.

I need your help to suggest how to rearrange the site. I have in mind a Wyvern Square, with Bungalow Bill and the existing shoppes placed in a pleasing manner.

Woolly Weavery will be replaced with a left-facing furnisher as part of this work.

There are three classes for ideas to be in:

1. Do the minimum. Just place the furnisher somewhere in that corner

2. Move some of the shoppes.

3. Move the bungalow as well. Maybe add some charm. (If your idea lives in this category then it will need to convince the Ringers, as they will have to do the placing).

The only rules are that it has to look nice and shipyards go on the coast.

My personal taste is for wide streets with clear sightlines. Opportunities for in-filling should be minimised - I might not be governor forever, and I'd hate to leave the door open for overbuilding.

How to submit
If your idea is in category one then just describe it. If your idea is in other categories then you'd probably do better to use the island editor and post a picture. Napalm is trying to scare up the Jorvik xml file - I hope he posts a link here.

What about prizes?
Well, I'll see if I can persuade Hades to make an "I regenerated Jorvik" trinket. You will certainly have the undying love of a cyclops and the Wyverns and a corner of an embattled island that will always be yours.

How long have you got?
Not too long - but long enough. Shall we say until the 18th of November?

Judges
Me. If Napalm likes it that's good too. If the Ringers like it then it can't be bad.

Oh, and I can change my mind at any moment. One-eyed iron mongers are notoriously capricious.

--
Brontes
Governor-elect of Jorvik
----------------------------------------
[Edit 1 times, last edit by armless at Nov 10, 2005 3:40:00 PM]
[Nov 10, 2005 3:36:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

Re: Redevelop south-east Jorvik Reply to this Post

Interesting contest. I'm not Napalm, but I do have the xml file if anyone needs it.
-Yaten
YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[Nov 10, 2005 3:50:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
armless

Thanks Yaten :)
[Nov 10, 2005 4:28:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I'd like non-shady bungalows, personally, but that's never gonna happen.

What I would do is see if you can't set up a cul-de-sac around a well or something. That gives you something pleasant without obstructing traffic or reducing shoppe space.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 10, 2005 5:55:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
frogkissed11

*coughs* Certain Wyverns would just LOVE a cute little sheep roaming around our shoppes too...
JainaSolo, sheepish jedi
Blazeblade says, "you're talking to a SHEEP?"
[Nov 10, 2005 8:01:25 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidden to Guest [Link]  Go to top 
Brontes

I've discovered that the default Yohohotools doesn't include everything you need.

To get a working island editor follow the instructions from Cedricshock.

I've received two entries - one from SadieKate and one that builds on Sadie's ideas from kmf.

I interpreted Sadie's written ideas in the design tool. Probably badly.

Kmf's design adds a cabin at the foot of the palace steps and includes a consignment shoppe in the square. This could be any not-to-tall non-wooden building. A Home, perhaps. The second furnisher is in place by the Wyvern's furnisher.

Comments and further entries welcomed.
Brontes
Former Governor of Jorvik
One-eyed Iron Monger

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Brontes at Nov 13, 2005 5:17:29 AM]
[Nov 12, 2005 2:45:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Brontes

I've heard from Nemo that it's not possible to move shoppes - they have to be destroyed and rebuilt. While this can be done instantly all the comms, orders and employees will vanish. This is unlikely to find favour with the shoppe owners.

I'm afraid this means that in all likelihood south-east Jorvik will remain in its present state.

Thanks for the entries and ideas. Island design can be a lot of fun and, who knows, maybe the next governor of Jorvik will implement less consensual approach to town planning.

The shoppe-swap programme will continue. I'll be putting the procedure on the island notice board soon.
Brontes
Former Governor of Jorvik
One-eyed Iron Monger

[Nov 14, 2005 2:26:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates