• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1408 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Bia
OceanMaster

Please Read. Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines Reply to this Post

In light of recent events, it seems necessary to lay down some rules and guidelines for the Mariner's Muse. While the traffic was light and focused on the specifics of the forum for a long period, as the popularity and traffic for the game increase, it seems more players will stray from what we desire and intend for this.

In brief, follow these guidelines:
*Keep posts on topic.
*Reply to existing threads rather than start up new ones.
*Do not spam.

Forum Purpose
The Mariner's Muse is a forum for players to exercise their creative energies. This is to broadly include various literate and artistic enterprises including, but not limited to, fanart, poetry, and story writing. Various activities and events related to these creative outlets will take place on this forum.

While we take a broad definition of what is appropriate, we do ask that players keep their posts within this forum on the topic. Posts that contain art, stories, poems, etc. are appropriate. Posts that comment on said art, stories, poems, etc. are likewise appropriate.

Any posts that do not pertain to the creative enterprises of the forum are not appropriate.

Posting Guidelines
When posting, we ask that you keep posts to common threads. There is a "Reply to this Post" link on every post in the forum. If you wish to respond to a post, do so by clicking that link. Do not start a new thread.

Also, if you wish to make a new post, please check to see if there is a related topic. It is preferrable that players post to an existing thread rather than start multiple new ones.

If you have multiple posts to respond to or many things to post in the same thread, please combine everything to a single post rather than posting multiple times in succession. If you make a post, and find you have something to add, please edit your post to contain the new information; do not make another post. Every post you make has an "Edit" button at the top.

Regarding Events
Various events will take place within the Mariner's Muse. Many of these will often have multiple threads associated to help with organisation. Please read the first post in each thread to determine what is appropriate to post in that thread. Often the threads will be designated as one for discussion on the event, and one for entries to the event.

Discussion threads should discuss the competition only. In some cases this will include commentary on the entries, if that is allowed by the event organiser. In other cases a specific discussion post will be noted.

Also, take special consideration of the nature of creative contests. Judging for these can be very intensive and time consuming. Many judges have other obligations that will prevent them from dedicating every waking hour to judging a contest. Please be patient with the judges. The results for a contest will be posted when judging has been completed, and repetitively asking when the judging will be complete does not help speed things up. Even asking for an estimate does not help.

Moderating
We will be taking a harsher stance against posts that do not fall under the realm of the forum. If a thread is off-topic, we will move it to the appropriate forum. However, if a post is not on topic for the thread it is posted, we will most likely delete it outright.

Likewise, if you are excessively spamming with your posts, and not using the edit button as noted above, we may delete your posts.

If a thread for a contest is out of control, we may end up locking it until it is time for the results to be posted.

Feedback
If you wish to discuss these policies, please do so in this thread. I am open to debate on how we may make the Mariner's Muse an enjoyable and productive forum as a whole. If you feel that the measures I have proposed above will not make this happen, I am open to your reasons.
----------------------------------------
[Nov 7, 2005 7:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

Re: Please Read. Forum Rules and Posting Guidelines Reply to this Post

Feedback
If you wish to discuss these policies, please do so in this thread. I am open to debate on how we may make the Mariner's Muse an enjoyable and productive forum as a whole.

If pirates want to post a thought,
In a forum such as this,
The quality would improve a lot,
If I got my fondest wish.

I know that I'll be called a jerk for it,
But I've been called many things much worse.
To post in the Muse, one should work for it;
Delete everything that's not in verse.
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Nov 7, 2005 7:13:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

In a forum such as this,

Squid so wrong!
Free verse is powerful
Anyone can post any stupid crap
Thots 2 worsd w/o profreeding

All you need is Return Key
Turning Crap to Poetry.
[Nov 7, 2005 7:38:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

hom wrote: 
Squid wrote: 

In a forum such as this,

Squid so wrong!
Free verse is powerful
Anyone can post any stupid crap
Thots 2 worsd w/o profreeding

All you need is Return Key
Turning Crap to Poetry.

All you need to do, my friends
To lessen the amount
Of worthless, crappy Musey sends:
Say Free Verse doesn't count.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Nov 7, 2005 10:26:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Indeed

Might we take the time
To also state (in rhyme)
That verse which poorly scans
Be also sent to th'Brine?
Dmentia says, "It thrills me when Indeed is mean."
SomeIdiot tells you, "I am muting you, because you're unnormal, maybe you're hurt in real life"
Quoth Rubby, "There's something wrong with your brain."

[Nov 7, 2005 10:32:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.goonbunnies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Hampster

This rhyming idea,
Just isn't that clear..

There's mates on the dock, without a chance;
They can type up the words, but with little romance.
Poetry is so much more, than getting words to match,
And although that's an idea there's a terrible catch.
Here in the Marine we're looking for a Muse,
So if we're all writing in poetry it could easily confuse;

Prose is clearer for the inspiration mates need,
Perhaps to those with poor art skills we could plead,
To look for a muse, before they postcount,
That may help to lower the amount?
Kivo - for the lady, sir?
Her sugar daddy would.
[Nov 7, 2005 10:54:55 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittykat18

There once was a modder named Bia
Who found off-topic posts made her cry-a.
So she set up some rules,
But then some silly fools
Wrote some poems that simply won't fly-a!
I'd rather be bilging.

Fleet Officer of Rolling Thunder, Viridian Ocean.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kittykat18 at Nov 7, 2005 12:30:37 PM]
[Nov 7, 2005 12:12:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hampster

Oh dear, that last poem is shameful,
Rhyming Bia with cry-a sounds painful,
As far as I know,
That 'aint how it goes,
if ye tried Bia; like Beer, I'd be greatful.
Her sugar daddy would.
[Nov 7, 2005 3:53:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittykat18

All right then, I concede....

Wait a second! I'm writing prose! The format is broken! We're FREE!

EDIT: :P
I'd rather be bilging.

Fleet Officer of Rolling Thunder, Viridian Ocean.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kittykat18 at Nov 7, 2005 4:45:02 PM]
[Nov 7, 2005 4:44:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

I have noticed the large number of stickied threads here in the Muse, which I have heard is somewhat annoying. I am considering methods to clean this up a bit.

I am thinking of creating a single thread which would link to all on-going events, such as the Beat the Champs design thread, and the Portrait Background thread. Any other major events could have one thread that is stickied, which should include links to all other related threads. I am afraid some of our long-time stickied residents, such as Azumanga Midnight and Shanty Raid-io do not really belong, and would be returned to normal status.

Would this be acceptable, or does anyone have an alternative suggestion?
[Nov 7, 2005 6:17:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

How about tags on the topics along the lines of [ONGOING] and [DEADLINE: JANUARY 7TH!]
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Nov 7, 2005 6:18:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hampster

How about a new forum section for more stickable threads?

"Pirate 101: What's on the box."

I think the time and effort put into both Azumanga Midnight and Shanty Raid-io need some kind of recognition, but I also agree with the amount of grid-lock.
Her sugar daddy would.
[Nov 7, 2005 7:00:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Indeed

Maybe a stickied "Piratical Guide to all things Creative" which contains links to, perhaps, the sketchbook thread, the photography thread, the comics and anything else which might otherwise rate stickyness.
Dmentia says, "It thrills me when Indeed is mean."
SomeIdiot tells you, "I am muting you, because you're unnormal, maybe you're hurt in real life"
Quoth Rubby, "There's something wrong with your brain."

[Nov 7, 2005 7:30:50 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.goonbunnies.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Searchertoo

I believe each separate forum category (not just this one) could use a single sticky thread with links to the important threads for that category in it.
[Nov 7, 2005 10:19:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vexorg

Feedback
If you wish to discuss these policies, please do so in this thread. I am open to debate on how we may make the Mariner's Muse an enjoyable and productive forum as a whole.

In a forum such as this,

As Squidbeard finished his bold proclamation upon the docks of Alpha, a hushed, yet distinct murmur went through the crowd, followed by an uncharacteristic silence as people took in this new piece of information. Slowly but surely, a few of the more quick-witted onlookers managed to shout out their responses in quatrain and pentameter, but most stood oblivious to the world around them as they tried to remember what in the Seven Seas the word "Rhyme" meant.

For some, this was easier said than done, and others found themselves three mugs of grog beyond the capability for such endeavors on this day, and slowly began to wander toward the inn to widen the gap. One greenie broke the silence with a lengthy string of shouted obscenities, which broke the concentration of several bystanders, but only long enough for them to toss him off the edge of the dock. Finally, as the rabble began to gain hold of their elusive mental faculties, shouts of stanzas began to emerge from the crowd.

As usual, the opinions of the gathered masses varied greatly. From one corner of the plaza came a shout:

"To speak in verse is hard indeed,
'Tis far more speaking I must read."

From the front of the crowd came another voice:

"Ye'll not make me rhyme;
May the mighty coconut
Smack ye in da head!"

Yet another voice came out of the inn:
"Pelt Squidbeard with oranges and make 'im.... er, um... Oh, barnacle!" The door to the inn slammed behind him.

Somewhere in the middle of the huddled mass there could be heard a muted yet impassioned voice from one grizzled old salt one minute fervently defending Squidbeard's proclamation and the next minute furiously refuting that arguement. The crowd briefly hushed, trying to hear the ongoing debate, but gradually realized that it was just old Indecisive Johnson babbling about nothing in particular, as usual. People began to decide that the whole matter was far more than they dared to try to comprehend and returned to what they were doing before.

The moral of the story: All we are saying is give prose a chance.
Vexorg: Apparently still in some crew somewhere, Midnight
(May actually exist)
Yee: No, it's not a breakfast cereal.
AtteSmythe wrote: 
Mmm, community-built hype. Better than the real thing, with less work!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Vexorg at Nov 8, 2005 8:33:59 PM]
[Nov 8, 2005 8:31:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DaneT

This thread's moving down a spiraling trail,
Slow as a turtle, boring as a snail
Can I find another word, or will I fail?
Pail, Mail, Jail, Gale

Moral of the story Free verse sucks.
It has been said, my friends, that I like war. My friends, I like War. No...I LOVE WAR!

Danet - An old salt of Y!PP, but not the oldest by a long shot.
[Nov 15, 2005 4:25:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates