• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 9
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 805 times and has 8 replies Next Thread
polny

[Linked Blockade Suggestions] Ship registration; strengthen embargoes Reply to this Post

This is intended to defeat floating.

Ships are 'registered' with the island that they are built on. If the deed is traded while its ship is in port at a colonized island, it becomes 'registered' with that island. If a deed is traded while the ship is outside port, it becomes 'unregistered'. 'Unregistered' ships cannot enter blockades. Ships of an attacking flag or of the attacking flag's allies cannot enter the blockade of an island they are registered with.

Edited wholesale to allow deed-swapping for charting. Thanks to Argro for pointing this out this oversight with the original.

Embargos prevent deporting during blockades.

As soon as a warchest is dropped on an island a blockade board is created. This board has no flags but is otherwise identical to a standard blockade board. This means that ships will need to pass through it to get to port or the open sea. Whether it is sinking or non-sinking depends on the realtions between attacker and defender, as in the current system.

When a ship of the attacking flag or her allies enters the blockade board, a message is sent to all the officers of the defending and attacking flags. This would be something like, "The war brig 'Woebegone Wobbegong' has joined the blockade!". Any other ship entering would result in the following: "The sloop 'Unimaginative Examplefish' is attempting to run the blockade to port/sea!" This message function should be toggable.

Ships sunk in this board are treated exactly as they are now in blockades; "sunk" ships are confined to port till the blockade is over and sunk ships are permanently lost.

Ships of attacking flags can now 'cast anchor'. They will be found under two new sections at the dock: 'my ships at anchor' and 'at anchor'. Ships at anchor outside blockaded islands cannot have goods transferred to or from them. Otherwise, they are like ships in dock.

To stop being 'at anchor', a ship chooses to 'weigh anchor'. The button for this will be found where 'deport' and 'set sail' normally would. Upon weighing anchor, the officer who has the helm is given two options: 'enter blockade island-side' and 'enter blockade ocean-side'. The ship will appear in the appropriate safe zone.

When the first scoring blockade round starts 24 hours after the warchest was dropped, all ships are booted off as normal. I'm not sure that ships that 'weigh anchor' should still be able to choose which side of the blockade board they enter.

Bot merchants will not visit a port under blockade. I'm guessing this is how it is now, but a whole day is more inconvenient.

Thanks for reading.

Edit: subject line, for clarity.
Edit: Bia fixed my subject line, for conciseness.
Edit: trashed original deed idea, wrote new one, changed subject line.
Edits: for typos.
----------------------------------------
[A]nd even coldly calculating people do not succeed half so well in life as those properly blended temperaments who are capable of deep feeling for those persons and conditions that happen to serve their own interests. - Robert Musil
[Edit 5 times, last edit by polny at Nov 4, 2005 8:57:21 AM]
[Nov 4, 2005 5:44:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Argro

Re: [Linked Blockade Suggestions] Deed Trades need approval, embargos prevent deporting during blockades and warchest drops create a blockade board instantly. Reply to this Post

Deed trades can only take place when the ship in question is in port at a colonized island. A message asking for approval is sent to the palace of the island that the ship is ported at. The ship cannot deport until the governer approves or a week passes.

Horrible idea.

What happens to people who swap deeds for charting purposes?
Argro
Old Sea Dog

Epimetheus wrote: 
I've been inappropriate for a long time

[Nov 4, 2005 5:59:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bia
OceanMaster

Re: [Linked Blockade Suggestions] Limit ship deed trades; strengthen embargoes Reply to this Post

Just for the ease of users browsing the forum, please keep subject lines to a reasonable length.
[Nov 4, 2005 6:28:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
polny

Charting Reply to this Post

It's a serious drawback, I know. I ignored it largely because it didn't bother me, but I appreciate its horror for memmers and likely a few others. I've edit the orignal post, trashing the first, criticized deed idea and introducing another with, I think, the same functionality.
[A]nd even coldly calculating people do not succeed half so well in life as those properly blended temperaments who are capable of deep feeling for those persons and conditions that happen to serve their own interests. - Robert Musil
[Edit 2 times, last edit by polny at Nov 4, 2005 8:37:30 AM]
[Nov 4, 2005 6:28:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mlik

Re: Charting Reply to this Post

Float ships to the island under independent crew.

Before a blockade, invite independent crew to join blockading flag.
Mlik, playing the Forum Game.
Play Diplomacy!
Xephin tells you, "Viva le Revolution!"
[Nov 4, 2005 9:27:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    _dharmy_    dharmy0    2654008 [Link]  Go to top 
polny

Re: Independent Crews Reply to this Post

Good point. I had considered alt flags, but I thought they'd be easily identifiable. I can't see any way around your point other than to disallow flags who are blockading or blockaded from inviting new crews. Allies remain tricky.
[Nov 4, 2005 11:27:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Independent Crews Reply to this Post

Allies remain tricky.

Great effort, thorough post. Not sure it will work for the same reason many other cool ideas won't work, and you nailed it (quote above).
[Nov 4, 2005 11:31:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
polny

Re: Allies Reply to this Post

A blockaded flag could be given the ability to embargo for the duration of the blockade (with embargo functioning as described in the first post) without declaring war. This would force the attackers' allies to drop a chest and run the blockade to 'weigh anchor', as they could not use 'at anchor' without doing so. Naturally, it would also allow the defending flag to reciprocate the declaration.

I don't know how this would affect scoring - how dropping another chest would affect an alliance's. Maybe a smaller chest to take a supporting role?

adhoc++
[Edit 1 times, last edit by polny at Nov 4, 2005 3:05:07 PM]
[Nov 4, 2005 3:04:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
scupperer

Re: Allies Reply to this Post

Ignoring everything else for the moment, I really like the idea of putting the blockade board up as soon as the blockade is declared, even if no points are awarded.

I'll think about why later.
I believe that we are all, openly or secretly, struggling against one or another kind of nihilism. - Ellen Willis
[Nov 4, 2005 4:03:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.scupperer.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates