• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 25
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 7753 times and has 24 replies Next Thread
Jer

How to Create Videos Reply to this Post

Here's a description on how to create AVI movies of puzzles.

I'll be happy to host good, informative, or amazing movies.
----------------------------------------
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Sep 19, 2003 6:20:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Re: How to Create Videos Reply to this Post

This link doesn't work.

Update please?
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Apr 27, 2004 6:30:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

Updated - when the PP-nest moved, the directory changed. The cgi variables stayed the same.

atteSmythe,
back to work

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Apr 27, 2004 6:35:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

I can find a bunch of MPeg-2 codecs via google, but I have no idea which one is better quality than another; same thing for Mp3 codecs.

On the other hand, I cannot even find an AAC codec.

What do people recommend for making a movie? Realistically, I'd have to record in Mpeg 2 (real time), and convert to Mpeg 4 (divx) afterwards.

This is for Windows.

Long John Grey
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
[Apr 28, 2004 12:28:45 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

LongJohnGrey wrote: 
What do people recommend for making a movie? Realistically, I'd have to record in Mpeg 2 (real time), and convert to Mpeg 4 (divx) afterwards.

Don't convert.

It's not actually a conversion - it'll compress the video, uncompress it, and recompress it again. What you end up getting is all sorts of transcoding errors. MPEG audio codecs, I know, can be pretty bad about these cascading artifacts. I imagine that the video is the same or worse.

Some things that might help you in your searches:
MPEG 2 - a collection of standards
MPEG 2, Layer 2 - Audio codec defined by the standard, used widely in radio for sending voice over ISDN, as well as other applications
MPEG 2, Layer 3 - MP3 audio codec, also called MPEG Layer 3.
MPEG 4 - A new collection of standards. They skipped 3 to avoid confusion over the popular MP3
MPEG 4, AAC - Audio codec defined in the MPEG4 standard.

Layer 2 and Layer 3 are perceptional audio codecs - they rely on the psychoacoustic principles to remove information from the audio that you literally cannot hear (the shape of the ears and ear canal filter certain frequency and time components before the sound wave even hits your eardrum). This makes the audio easier to compress, since there's less data to worry about.

How it does this is by taking a sample of the audio over some period of time, working on that, and storing it in a frame. Since each frame is worked on seperately, there is an inaudible but mathmatically important boundary between the frames. When you reencode the audio, the sample of audio that the second codec takes will most likely not be exactly lined up frame-by-frame. Since the sound before and after the boundary has been treated differently, it's much more difficult to compress the second time through, which leads to audible artifacts.

Though transcoding over MPEG 4 AAC is believed to be much better than over MP2 Layer 2 or Layer 3, no formal testing has been done to prove it.

atteSmythe,
finally with a post that even LJG should find thorough. ;)

[Apr 28, 2004 2:51:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

atteSmythe wrote: 
LongJohnGrey wrote: 

Don't convert.

It's not actually a conversion - it'll compress the video, uncompress it, and recompress it again. What you end up getting is all sorts of transcoding errors. MPEG audio codecs, I know, can be pretty bad about these cascading artifacts. I imagine that the video is the same or worse.

Thank you, actually. I was not aware that the audio was distorted that badly if decoded and reencoded.

However, I'm thinking more of the video compression. MPeg 2 video (is that layer 1, btw?) can be compressed faster than MPeg 4 video (at least for DivX). MPeg 2 can be done in "real time" (encoding at say, 20-30 fps), while DivX gives me about 8-12 fps.

If I wanted to take a movie of myself playing some of the puzzles, with commentary (hence the audio), so that my officer's could give me feedback on what I'm doing badly, then I need to capture enough fps of video; I can then use DivX to make it small enough to transfer. VirtualDub at least allows me to copy the audio over unchanged, so it won't get any artifacts, and for voice over a cheap microphone, I'm not sure it makes that much difference anyways.

But I do want to thank you for that ... research paper / term paper posting (:-) [had to say it, couldn't resist]

Oh -- video wise, converting MPeg 2 to MPeg 4 doesn't distort that badly. At least, not for a single pass. Repeated Divx re-encoding does worse. [Divx is like VHS -- a prime copy is good, a copy of a copy is ok, and third generation is noticably poorer. At least, for the older 4.x codec series.]
Hypnos wrote: 
[Apr 28, 2004 5:24:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

But I do want to thank you for that ... research paper / term paper posting (:-) [had to say it, couldn't resist]

Just for you, mate.

Actually, I had the opportunity to deliver a paper on the advantages of AAC over Layer 3 to the Pennsylvania Association of Broadcasters last October, so you got the short version. ;)

Unfortunately, I'm not really a video guy, so I won't be too much help for those questions. MP2 Layer 1 is another audio codec, but to my knowledge it was never commercially implemented. Many shortcomings. I just saw you using audio terms in yer discussion, and wanted to cut out some search terms that'll get you misleading results.

atteSmythe,
who hates listening to 128k encoded MP3s...

[Apr 28, 2004 5:44:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Jer

Holy cow, I didn't know those posts from the old board even existed. How embarrassing :x

If anyone's still curious about making videos or wants a copy of CamStudio (it's been discontinued), I'll be more than happy to help you out.
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Jun 21, 2004 8:31:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

Let me get this straight - this is a program that will capture video directly off your screen? I've been looking for something like that for a long time! (Though I can't remember exactly why anymore...)

If such a thing exists, somene please point me in the right direction?
Now in a special Hunter flavor.
[Jun 21, 2004 9:59:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
ivazquez

Camtasia Studio is what you're looking for. It can vidcap your monitor, and also turn the .avi into a Flash file.
Indeed wrote: 
You people are like hare krishnas. What do i have to do , beat you over the head?

[Jun 21, 2004 10:03:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Yes, you can record your screen.

Cam Studio can record either a .wav file as well, or (as far as I can tell) sound card input; I haven't yet figured out how to record the audio sent out to the sound card. (Probably need a loopback plug, if I knew what and where to hook it.)

Cam Studio might not be on the web site anymore, but I found it by googling. You still have to get an activation code by email, and they do send them out.

As for why, because it allows people to record their duty puzzles for comments and review, that's why :-).
Hypnos wrote: 
[Jun 21, 2004 1:14:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

Yay! Thanks!

I think I was looking for a way to do tutorials for programs like Photoshop and Premiere - things that are highly visual and difficult to explain with words. But the puzzle reason is certainly a valid one. :)
[Jun 21, 2004 9:53:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
servo2k

Camtasia Studio can be found at www.techsmith.com

A full version is $299 although the trial version lasts 30 days (or did 6 mo ago).

This program lets you capture your whole screen, the open window, or a designated region of your choosing.

I would recommend using the flash (swf) option if you go this way as you'll get the best quality:size ratio for your end file.

Audio is easy to incorporate and is built in. If you have an artist in your crew it's even easy to add your own crew's watermark.
[Jul 1, 2004 8:35:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lasslorien

If you want to buy a registered product for capturing video and want to pay less than Camtasia, try Hypercam. I use it for work and it is a great, handy, cheap application for capturing video. License is $40. It can capture full screen, individual windows, or a custom region, and comes with the requisite sound and cursor options.

A free download version is available that just watermarks the clips (fine for what most of ye are doin!)

Website here: http://www.hyperionics.com/hc/index.asp

Fair warning: I've never used Camtasia so I can't compare the two. Hypercam sometimes has problems capturing reeeeally large videos so a region capture is best.

And no, I don't work for them. ;) Their product just made me life a lot easier!
Officer and Mascot of United Pillagers
Member of Rogues' Pact
[Jul 2, 2004 10:55:41 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Big ol' Bumpity bump.

I've jes' downloaded Hypercam and am havin' fun playin' wi' it. Anyone else out there wi' ideas fer makin' smaller videos? I'm loathe (read : scared) to experiment too much, so I've stuck to jes' the fps and frame compression.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Oct 5, 2005 11:29:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
Inuki

I've found that Divx compression works really well for game videos - I have a gunning vid I made a few weeks ago that looks really good, and is only ~75MB for 15 minutes, at 30 frames per second. (Considering I have vid files that are as big for ~5 minutes, it's a good deal.) I recorded and compressed with free-trial Camtasia, but also have Adobe Premiere which I've done some work with.

I'm willing to do recompression if you can get a file to me that my computer doesn't choke on. www.yousendit.com will allow transfers up to 1GB - they store the file for a week and email a link. My PM box is empty enough to accept messages, so feel free. I will need to know which recording program you used, to make sure I have the codec to play it.

Oh, and the obvious one - record only a portion of the screen. If you're recording puzzles, you only need half the screen, so try setting the program to record only that section. :)
[Oct 5, 2005 4:03:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    inuki42    Inuki42 [Link]  Go to top 
StillMyst

Sorry for the bump, just uncovered this thread when searching for ways to make my 30 sec Y!PP commercial. Is CamStudio still the best thing to use? Shark, if yer reading this, is this what you used for the Search for Ironfisted?

cheers!
Mog
Mogget / Midnight
Take my PoE, take my land
Take my brigs and frigates grand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sea from me...

[Aug 15, 2006 4:38:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
pilkojr

Is this software still available? I would love a full copy of whatever software can capture my screen, especially for the new Blacksmithing puzzle.
Pilkojr on Viridian
Captain o' - Pirates of the Pacific
Prince o' the flag - Post Mortem
[Jul 21, 2007 5:32:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pilkojr.com    18579734 [Link]  Go to top 
pilkojr

Is this software still available? I would love a full copy of whatever software can capture my screen, especially for the new Blacksmithing puzzle.

Oh, email address....right!!

If you have a copy available, please send to pilkojr@gmail.com
Pilkojr on Viridian
[Jul 21, 2007 5:34:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pilkojr.com    18579734 [Link]  Go to top 
Burnt_Water

I use Camstudio myself, it's free. Go look it up in google.
Hard and big guide to whack off Brigands
How to make a pirate feel good
[Jul 21, 2007 7:43:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Bored en route? Bring a book or puzzle next time. [Link]  Go to top 
pilkojr

Ta.
Pilkojr on Viridian
[Jul 22, 2007 6:16:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pilkojr.com    18579734 [Link]  Go to top 
pilkojr

Anyone got some good settings worked out for CamStudio? I started using both CamStudio & HyperCam, and IMO, HyperCam is the winner for file size, and CamStudio is best for quality. HyperCam also gives you the option for the output video size, where as CamStudio only outputs the video at the same size of the capture.

I like CamStudio's SWF option, but again, the file sizes are much larger than those created with HyperCam.

Any ideas?
Pilkojr on Viridian
[Jul 23, 2007 1:52:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pilkojr.com    18579734 [Link]  Go to top 
momomo54

what's a free online video creater?
[Jun 4, 2008 10:04:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gunnermooch

what's a free online video creater?

HyperCam
Dalnoth wrote: He was going on an on about some Cybersex with a 13 year old accusation, however I immediately dismissed the claim based on the fact that slimbottom can't even type one whole sentence coherently let alone have cybersex.
[Jun 4, 2008 10:56:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fearlessphil

Anyone got some good settings worked out for CamStudio? I started using both CamStudio & HyperCam, and IMO, HyperCam is the winner for file size, and CamStudio is best for quality. HyperCam also gives you the option for the output video size, where as CamStudio only outputs the video at the same size of the capture.

I like CamStudio's SWF option, but again, the file sizes are much larger than those created with HyperCam.

Any ideas?

Camstudio also kills computers after recording blockade rounds ;)
Fearlessphil

Trial the new version of Blockadevideos.com
Forum thread

/e loves his Muffin Tiar
[Jun 5, 2008 3:27:10 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.blockadevideos.com [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates