• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2024 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
whoeverur

i'm slow :p Reply to this Post

ahoy,

i was wondering if anyone would know why pirates runs really slowly for me. I'm using win 2000 professional, i'm on a university ethernet connection, i have p4 processor... ermm... i don't run lots of bg progs etc...

all the puzzles work so long as they don't decide to 'eliminate' me for taking forever. It's usually the sailing puzzle i have trouble with.

Any ideas how to help this?

>___<
[Sep 17, 2003 9:15:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Mnemosyne
OceanMaster

Re: i'm slow :p Reply to this Post

Performance is terrible, what can I do?

You could try switching off Sound, this may help considerably. Make sure that you are not running any other programs. Puzzle Pirates does like to use memory, if you notice your harddrive chunking a lot then this is probably the issue.

You should also turn off mouse shadows, as Java tends to perform poorly with them on. You can disable shadowing under your mouse settings in the control panel.
[Sep 17, 2003 9:25:33 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
whoeverur

i have turned off my mouse shadow, i even changed my wallpaper to a smaller file out of desperation >_<

it worked fine when i first played... but not anymore ;_;
[Sep 17, 2003 9:28:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Poseidon
OceanMaster

Defragmenting your harddrive can help alot as well. But for sure having applications running in the back (such as IM's, Winamp and obvious cpu intensive apps) CAN be a problem. Try for comparison to exit everything else you're running including seemingly unnecessary inactive tasks in the taskbar.

Since you time out before puzzles it could very well be network problems instead. For a quick test try and start a dos window (Choose Run from the Start menu and enter "cmd"). Then type "ping azure3.puzzlepirates.com -n 100" and then copy the ping statistics you get after the 100 pings are sent (use the mouse to mark the text and enter to copy it, then paste it here). I tried that and it looks like this, I actually had some packet loss:

Ping statistics for 64.95.126.131:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 95, Lost = 5 (5% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 20ms, Maximum = 50ms, Average = 19ms
----------------------------------------
[Sep 17, 2003 11:45:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
whoeverur

Ping statistics for 64.95.126.131:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 0, Lost = 100 (100% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

haha how sad :p
it's a wonder it works even a little bit -__-
[Sep 17, 2003 1:11:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
whoeverur

you know i just tried pinging yahoo and google and a few other sites but I still got 100% loss even though the site work fine when i use them... is it that my network just hates pinging?
[Sep 22, 2003 5:57:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Whiplash

That might just be a firewall. Ye said ye were at a university computer. They will have put up firewalls for obvious reasons so that could explain yer packet loss.

Dmentia bows to the wisdom of Whiplash.

[Sep 22, 2003 6:02:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

Can you try pinging the same sites from someone else's computer on the same network? If you find that someone else's PC has similar ping results, it looks very likely that there's something up with the network; if they can ping ok then it's either your specific part of the network or your PC.
[Sep 22, 2003 6:06:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Update your video driver, some video cards don't like PP. Of course it may like the new driver even less *smile*.
[Sep 22, 2003 11:30:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spoothbrush

And make sure ye have no viruses on yer machine -- some o' them bugs can slow a machine worse'n a leaky keel covered in barnacles.
Lari
Yertle's Girdle on Turtle, The Tailor That's Fun To Say!
Stillin' The Maize, the Fine Distillery with a pig!
[Sep 24, 2003 11:59:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates