• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1326 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
ponytailguy

YPP Matrix Puzzle Reply to this Post

Just curious... one of my hobbies is creating matrix [totally unrelated to the movie] puzzles, and I'm wondering if there's interest in a Matrix Puzzle competition.

What a matrix puzzle is is something like this:

"There are three men [Al, Bob, Carl], who each have a wife [Deb, Ethel, Fran], and are on vacation in a European city [London, Paris, Munich]. Based on these clues, identify who's married to who and where they are."

Of course, mine are usually much, much bigger [My biggest one ever had over a hundred billion potential solutions, mathematically speaking and ignoring the clues.] and the YPP one would be piratey-themed.

If there's interest, I can whip one up this afternoon and have it live by tonight, with a prize of... say... 5000 PoE out of pocket, plus any donations people want to make [sadly, claimable only on Midnight]

Any takers?
----------------------------------------
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Oct 21, 2005 9:07:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Vurogj

Re: YPP Matrix Puzzle Reply to this Post

Aye, these puzzles are great fun, and there have been many fine examples o' 'em over the years. Havin' another pirate keen to make 'em will be great.

Look out fer flags who are hostin' multi-event spectaculars, as they would probably be glad to have the use o' yer puzzles too, especially if they don't have a matrix writer in their ranks.
Older, crankier,
still haz da phat haiku skillz.
Tawnee on Midnight.
Apollo says, "Tawnee, I should have known you were involved."
[Oct 21, 2005 9:12:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    vurogj    vurojg [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Well, that was short-lived. Ah, well.

I might organize a smaller one for a smaller prize to see if that attracts people.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Oct 21, 2005 1:52:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Ok, I've got one, and I'm prepared to pony up a modest prize unless I get a donation [Say 2000 PoE or so, sadly only claimable on Midnight], but want to know if anyone will actually COMPETE if I go forward...

It would work like this. I create a php-based download site, where you can download the puzzle and submit an answer. Instead of timing people from when it's posted, I time it from when you log onto the download site until you submit your answer. [To make it fair for the people in the UK and other imaginary places.]

Player who gets them right in the shortest time after a week's worth of time wins.

Would ANYONE be interested in competing?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Oct 22, 2005 5:04:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shh

I would! Although, my only experience is with the Dell ones (5 x 5 x 5 or whatever).

And I will donate poe, a few K. Like, one or two.

Sadly, the "casting off of chains of oppression" is also now a puzzle. It's pretty hard.

Emerson,
T.I.T.S.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Shh at Oct 22, 2005 5:15:29 PM]
[Oct 22, 2005 5:13:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
wmcduff

I would, but only if you can get the money over to Cobalt. :)
[Oct 30, 2005 6:37:54 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

I would, but only if you can get the money over to Cobalt. :)
Well, you could barter it across (Find somebody in a similar situation who has money on Cobalt that they wish they had on Midnight), but that requires a fair bit of trust and is entirely unsupported by the OMs (unless you can convince one to hold escrow for you, which is unlikely)
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Oct 30, 2005 7:25:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

These are typically called "Logic Puzzles", more than "Matrix Puzzles". Some logic puzzles are really hard to solve with a matrix, but easy with a list.

My last puzzle submission, btw, had _ZERO_ responses. I'm just going to assume that it got lost in all the other submissions in the same thread.

(it was here )
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Nov 9, 2005 9:29:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rolok

Presentation and packaging can make all the difference. LeJerque had at least one of these in his last contest extravaganza that I participated in -- Race for the Ruined Ring. That was the best forum contest I've ever participated in.
Yawl, just Yawl.
[Nov 9, 2005 12:50:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kehraus

Aye, the "Race for the Ruined Ring" contest was awesome. 'Tis one of the few YPP memories that I genuinely treasure.
Treguard
Breaker of brigands and hearts alike!
[Nov 11, 2005 11:21:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates