• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Sticky Thread
Total posts in this thread: 144
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 103833 times and has 143 replies Next Thread
Peanutswench

Beginners guide to finding answers Reply to this Post

Ahoy! This post is an effort to answer some questions that the average new player may have. When I started I didn't know how to find information. The forums can be a little intimidating, but once I had these few links bookmarked, the whole experience became a lot easier. So if you don't feel comfortable posting a question, here are a few places you can start to look for answers. They're a good place to go to learn about the game, though keep in mind it is still ok to ask questions here. Also, the best word of advice for any new player I can give is to read. Learn the game and you will learn why people like it so much.

---------------------------------------------------------

Account: The account link in the bar at the top of the forums, is where you need to go if You have any questions at all about your account, payments, and billing. Y!PP has many different forms of payment. Once you're logged in click on "Go to Billing System" and you can see the status of your account. If you would like more information on the different types of payment plans or how you can pay for your account, head to the Billing FAQ. This is located at the bottom of the billing system screen in bar. While there you can learn the difference in payment plans between subscription oceans and doubloon oceans.

Support: For *in-game* issues and questions that are not answered on the Support page, you should submit a Petition (click on the yellow Ye, and then Help) while in game.

For support questions such as account or payment questions, ban issues, and other things that cannot be answered in the game, go to the Puzzle Pirates Support form to send us an e-mail. Another way to find support help is to head to the Technical Issues forum for solutions to common problems.

Yppedia (Y!PP's wiki): Y!PP now has what is called the Yppedia. It's located on the top of the forums. You might hear some players also call this the "Wiki". If you click there you can find a lot of general information. There's a search box on the left to help you on your way. This is a resource that's maintained by players (meaning they can add and update information as it changes or as they find they made a mistake) in an effort to centralize information.

For example: If you have questions about the "pets" some people have on their shoulder you would type pets into the search box. You would then find out that they are really called familiars and you could learn all about the little guys and how to get one.

Yppedia also has a tutorial for starting out in the game. The guide to Starting Out is another one of those great places to go in your first few pirate days.

Docs: Y!PP has what are basically a few pages that give a general tour of the game. They're located here. You can also find the Docs on top of the forums. At times you might hear this called the "help files". This is a good place to go in your first few days to see all the neat things this game has to offer.

Tips and Tricks: Sometimes you may want some tips on the puzzles or more specific answers about how puzzles, the economy, ships, bots, swords, ect work. That can be found in the Tips and Tricks section of the forums. This forum has my favorite thread ever called Links to Everything You Need to Know. Here you can find some of the more frequently asked questions on the forums. It's even a great place to go when a puzzle is giving you a hard time or you want to know the difference between swords. It's a place I head to at least once a week.

Search: If you want to find a topic on the forums to see if others have had the same question, there is a forum search. It's located at the top of the forums. Once there you can search for recent threads on the same topic. This helps because your question might have been answered before or there is an on going discussion about it.

I like to refine my search by stating a forum. For example, I know that if my question is about "How do I ___" that it will probably be in the Tips and Tricks section of the forums. If it is more like, "Wouldn't it be neat if the game had ___" then it will probably be in the Game Design section. If you have a difficult time searching and aren't able to find just what you're looking for the Need Help Searching? Got a New Suggestion? Ask a Poster! thread in Game Design might be just what you're looking for. Most players that have been around awhile will appreciate the time you took to do a search.

---------------------------------------------------------

Now welcome to the game mates! If you would like to let us know who you are, there's a thread for introductions at the top of the New Player Forum. You can always come back to the New Player Forum anytime to ask a question you're unsure of. It's a great place to get your feet wet before diving into the vast forum ocean.
----------------------------------------
Peanutswench
------
[Edit 18 times, last edit by Hypnos at Feb 12, 2008 2:22:00 PM]
[Oct 20, 2005 5:12:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaibaman2004

Re: Beginners guide to finding answers Reply to this Post

Way to go, Peanut! Excellant idea for a Beginners guide, creative, and gives people answears.
It should help whoever needs help!

-Hidendra
Midnight: Hidendra
[Oct 21, 2005 3:06:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidendra_7    Hidendra [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

Way to go, Peanut! Excellant idea for a Beginners guide, creative, and gives people answears.

:o) Thanks. I thought it might save some people a bit of time.

As a side note: If anyone has a link that they feel should be added let me know via a PM and I'll edit the post.
Peanutswench
------
[Oct 21, 2005 3:21:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Kaibaman2004

Peanutswench wrote: 
Peanutswench wrote: 

:o) Thanks. I thought it might save some people a bit of time.

As a side note: If anyone has a link that they feel should be added let me know via a PM and I'll edit the post.

Oooh.
You can't forget Introductions! The new players may want to introduce themselves.. Though this isn't via a PM, may be most noticeable to add it here.
Again, Introductions are here. I think i'm putting in a little too many linkies for one thread..
Hehe

-Hidendra,
linkies.
Midnight: Hidendra
[Oct 22, 2005 4:55:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Hidendra_7    Hidendra [Link]  Go to top 
Fiddler

Starting out is a great little beginner's guide that's been evolving for the last several months. Veteran players are certainly welcome to help tweak it as well.
Orsino, Viridian ocean
Forum-mute: your best friend
Whitewyvern wrote: 
The only high end goals are those you set for yourself. What happens to anyone else is irrelevant.

[Oct 23, 2005 7:50:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Avatar by Stimmhorn [Link]  Go to top 
iceminion

on the link from the desktop it keeps saying server is down but it isn't here?
[Dec 7, 2005 3:29:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

on the link from the desktop it keeps saying server is down but it isn't here?

I checked all links... they seem to all be working. :o) Give me time, I'm sure I can break it at some point. :-p
Peanutswench
------
[Dec 16, 2005 7:01:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
itsme109154

Nicley written
Codyc

Cobalt Ocean

Captain of the crew "This Crew Has No Name"

Member of the flag "All Hands On Deck"
[Jan 7, 2006 9:07:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
SpookyChild

What do I do if I've been banned but have never played?
[Jan 13, 2006 10:33:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Email banpleading@puzzlepirates.com to explain your case.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Jan 13, 2006 11:34:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lemonella2

I need help. All of a sudden I can't connect to puzzle pirates! It says this : Logon failed: Either there is a temporary network outage or the server is down for maintanince. Please wait a moment before re-connecting.
I have tried all day! I want to know what is wrong.
[Jan 21, 2006 1:21:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lemonella2

I need help. All of a sudden I can't connect to puzzle pirates! It says this : Logon failed: Either there is a temporary network outage or the server is down for maintanince. Please wait a moment before re-connecting.
[Jan 21, 2006 1:29:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maadneet

In one of her other threads, I wrote: 
Please do not make multiple threads for the same problem. You already have an answer in your other thread: http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=30634

Maadneet on all oceans
[Jan 21, 2006 1:32:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/listrecentthreads [Link]  Go to top 
Peanutswench

lemonella wrote: 

Please read the first post in this thread. I have a feeling it'll really help ya get the client ship shape. But just in case here's a snip:

I wrote: 
For support questions, click on Support on the top of the forums in the red bar. This will send you to a page that allows you to find the kind of support you need. Another way to find support help is to head to the Technical Issues forum for solutions to common problems. If your problem is about the installation and performance of the Y!PP client (The actual game), there's a link on the support page or you can just head here.

Peanutswench
------
[Jan 24, 2006 8:09:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
JamieSmells

i have a question when u go on islands u get people owning the island who does that happen and can i do it if so how
[Edit 1 times, last edit by JamieSmells at Feb 12, 2006 8:34:48 AM]
[Feb 12, 2006 8:34:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

i have a question when u go on islands u get people owning the island who does that happen and can i do it if so how

Those are the governors. Governors are appointed by the royalty of the flag owning the island. Only flags can win islands, and only the islands that are open to blockades. Few people make it to being governor.
Pleun,

[Edit 1 times, last edit by fanta at Feb 12, 2006 12:03:25 PM]
[Feb 12, 2006 12:01:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

I didn't read through it very thouroughly (or at all for that matter) just because I didn't want to go over things I already knew but it always does someone good to make their lives' easier.

As for the forums being intimidating, just do what I did. Make really long, naive posts (you're in luck. If you start off quick and skip the playground, you'll have nailed the naivity down automatically) until you have no dignity on the forums whatsoever. Once complete, you can type anything you want and speak your mind fully (as long as you don't get kicked off. Not that type of speaking your mind) without feeling any guilt or displeasure cause' "HEY!" you don't have any dignity anyway and you can't get any lower than that.

My Disclaimer: I have no disclaimer. Okay, actually I do. Here it is. I am not liable for anyone taking my advice and getting kicked off or generally hateing you. Actually, I didn't even take my advice. Yeah, I'm that stupid. Or am I. A bit of an immense paradox comes into play here cause I'm taking my advice and not taking my advice at the same time by writing this crap :P
[Mar 2, 2006 5:33:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dadadude

Actually, it's one way to feel confident and I actually did follow it myself whether I did it conciously or not. I wouldn't use it unless you're that type of person.
[Mar 2, 2006 5:34:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Uh. Are you really trying to urge greenies/new forum users to be twits?
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Mar 3, 2006 9:52:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Queanie

Mmmm.... keep the snarkiness in parley perhaps?

Dadadue your post seems sort of well intentioned-ish, but my advice to any newer player is that if you want to be treated with respect you will think about what you post. By think I mean consider the following:

Has this question been asked before?
Has this idea been raised before?
Will my post add anything constructive to the dialogue?

Quite frankly the majority of forum posters don't really follow the third guideline 100% of the time (maybe not even 50%), but I recommend the guidelines above as a good attitude to take when venturing into the other forums here.
Jezabella
Supposedly retired, but recently seen skulking around on various botes
[Mar 12, 2006 2:06:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
maxxam

When yer account was created, did ye click the remember password box, but didn't log on? If so, someone else may have gotten ye banned. Send a message to banpleading@puzzlepirates.com, and see if they can help. Note "My little brother did it!" is not a valid excuse.
Maxam
Viridian: SO: The Ocean Ghosts
[Apr 3, 2006 2:41:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    maxxam312 [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

When yer account was created, did ye click the remember password box, but didn't log on? If so, someone else may have gotten ye banned. Send a message to banpleading@puzzlepirates.com, and see if they can help. Note "My little brother did it!" is not a valid excuse.

Note that that question was asked and answered in january. ;)
Pleun,

[Apr 3, 2006 3:55:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Bennet_Vella

Note that that question was asked and answered in january. ;)

And you could have left this post... unposted ... oops i posted one myself... i don't know why i am going to submit it anyways....
Semi-Retired Pirate
Ghosting around the forum
[Apr 12, 2006 10:53:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    qazziztni [Link]  Go to top 
TechnoLuigi

how do i get the badges to make a crew and get a boat
[May 11, 2006 9:22:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

You can buy badges on doubloons oceans with doubloons in the palace shoppe, located in any palace (surprise) first door on the right.
Pleun,

[May 11, 2006 10:21:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
eilconner

There is also a link if you click the button under your picture under the YE tab in game, then look at the left corner and there is a button named Palace Shoppe.
Lilalee, quartermaster of Silver Dawn

Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend, inside of a dog it is too dark to read. -- Groucho Marx
[May 11, 2006 5:23:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    econnermd    econnermd [Link]  Go to top 
MacKeroni

i want to download pp for my friend and make her an account.
how do i make her an account? i can not find the screen.
[May 23, 2006 5:47:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

Clicking account help from the log in screen on your client will get you the page you need. Or just click this linky; http://www.puzzlepirates.com/register/register.wm?showreg=true
Pleun,

[May 24, 2006 3:37:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
billiewyland

i didnt see the answer to the question i have..and i did search yppedia first.

my profile says im male..and im not...i cant seem to find any info on how to edit it...it also has my birthday wrong?
Kikidawn
Captain of 'Ocean Commotion"
on the Midnight
[May 28, 2006 9:30:59 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    sweet_az_sugir [Link]  Go to top 
blue_jacket

billiewyland wrote: 
i didnt see the answer to the question i have..and i did search yppedia first.

my profile says im male..and im not...i cant seem to find any info on how to edit it...it also has my birthday wrong?

http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/editmember
-Yaten
YPPedia administrator. Mostly retired.

[May 28, 2006 9:33:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YatenPirate [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 144   Pages: 5   [ First Page | 1 2 3 4 5 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates