• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 19
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1518 times and has 18 replies Next Thread
Karacan

GUI chatinterface issues from a newbie sight Reply to this Post

Okay, basically I'm a very very new gamer (who nevertheless did a search on this, and didn't come up with anything).

For a simple pirate, the chat interface is fine. Once turned officer, however, the chat interface becomes painful, in several instances.

I'd love to have different chatwindows, as most other online games offer by now. Like, you have an extra window only for flagofficer chatting, for example. I do realize that the current GUI does not offer any easy way of making a chatwindow - and that's okay. But I really, really miss the ability. Being able to /mute a complete channel for a while would be very welcome.

The next thing is the various chatwindow tabs in puzzle vision - the fact that the Ahoy tab is always grabbing focus from the regular chat tab is extremely awful when you try to captain a vessel while at the same time trying to organize your crew. A simple fix would be for the Ahoy tab not to steal focus, but instead a short chat message that something changed in the Ahoy tab so that nothing is missed (unless it's missed in hectic chat anyway, in which case the Ahoy tab becomes even more of a hindrance).

That's two major issues that knocked the enjoyment of the game down for quite a few notches after I became officer in my crew, because I did not expect it to be that bad.

I'll likely get used to it sooner or later, but it's unlikely I'll ever grow to like it. :)
----------------------------------------
- Ratnose, prettiest drunk of the Midnight Ocean

Master of the Pie

Springheel tells you, "*bite* im a rainbow!"

[Oct 19, 2005 8:33:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Re: GUI chatinterface issues from a newbie sight Reply to this Post

For a brief time, we had a tab for chat. Not exactly what you are describing, mind you. I think we had like, vessel info in one tab, and all chat on another tab. Folks begged them to get rid of it, however, because they were missing vital information in the chat tab when they unknowingly had the other tab toggled instead.

That might be one reason why your idea has not already been implemented. Imagine if you had the officer chat tab toggled, and were into a puzzle, and somebody was asking you something over on the vessel chat tab...and you didn't know it.

Unless I'm misunderstanding your idea? Which could be, my mind is on sort of a semi-permanent brain fart at the moment.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Oct 19, 2005 8:42:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
rixation

- The ability to mute certain channels has been requested many, many times. The Ringers know it's an issue.

- Multiple people run the game in full-screen or maximized, so having different windows for each chat (like an AIM or Yahoo IM chat session) would not work.

- I'll agree that the Ahoy tab taking focus is a hassle at times, particularly when on a busy ship, but the purpose of that tab is to draw your attention to things which should take priority over anything else you're doing. You're right, it's not very intuitive or easy to deal with, but you'll become accustomed to it over time.
Epimetheus
Retired

[Oct 19, 2005 8:50:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
KingKirby2

What is extremely annoying is when your in the right place to turn about to intercept that brigand and the ahoy tab pops up and takes away your button. Oops, there goes the brigand.
KingKirby on Hunter
[Oct 19, 2005 9:03:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gordo036

meh, you get used to it. and no amount of chat windows is ever gonna make chat easier. people just like to talk way too much; you'll always miss some of it
Nuemenor

Auzziemoo officer chats, "quite a few lazers. im pretty sure not all of them are gunning or writing a book"
Freja says, "if you survive a week - you will be ready to help us scare the next new pirate half to death"
[Oct 19, 2005 9:07:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
drc500free

What's annoying is that the Ahoy tab is unreachable from the bnav screen, making a /vwho impossible without exiting out and hoping your computer catches up in time to place moves.
-Darvid
sundancer wrote: 
will you please explain to me one more time why it would not be acceptable to blockade us?
Squid wrote: 
Because I shouldn't have to go through all that effort.

[Oct 19, 2005 9:26:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
bemis

By no means a perfect solution, but there is a tabbed chat interface available, external to the game - linky
Bemis - Senior Officer, Yarr Talk/National Pirate Radio on Cobalt
[Oct 19, 2005 9:27:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

By no means a perfect solution, but there is a tabbed chat interface available, external to the game - linky

Download this. It rules.

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Oct 19, 2005 9:51:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Matthias

I recall in another game I played where they marked that a tab had changed by making the tab flash. I liked that interface.
I took my own advice.
[Oct 19, 2005 10:38:04 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

I recall in another game I played where they marked that a tab had changed by making the tab flash. I liked that interface.

It may just be me, but I'd have all my tabs flashing all the time. In fact, when I use bemis' chat tool, almost all my tabs are red almost all the time. It's not all that useful, truly, unless you have your eye on only one tab about which you care.

Smythe,
just speaking from his own experience, of course

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Oct 19, 2005 10:41:21 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
Karacan

Oh, I missed that when searching. Great tool, very much what I was looking for.

Thank ye, everyone.

And I know I'll get used to it... but I suppose I could also get used walking around with a pegleg. It doesn't mean I have ta force it.
- Ratnose, prettiest drunk of the Midnight Ocean

Master of the Pie

Springheel tells you, "*bite* im a rainbow!"

[Oct 19, 2005 10:52:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

It may just be me, but I'd have all my tabs flashing all the time. In fact, when I use bemis' chat tool, almost all my tabs are red almost all the time. It's not all that useful, truly, unless you have your eye on only one tab about which you care.

Smythe,
just speaking from his own experience, of course

You speak for me as well on this Atte...

But then again, I get such bad puzzle vision, I normally ignore all chat until ye've been grappled and are waiting for the SF to start, then I scroll and see if I missed anything important...After the SF I'll quickly scroll more if I didn't finish, before I pop back on my station and press /clear to start over again...LOL

But folks I puzzle for know about my puzzle vision condition, so they are a little more patient waiting for a reply from me. Bottom line, I think it's perfectly OK to ignore chat for periods of time when you find you can't focus on it as much as you'd like.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Oct 19, 2005 12:00:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

tail -f yourPPLog | grep StringofInterest

At busy times, such as when blockading, I have a couple different terminal windows with a few of these open.

A simple tail -f in a very tall window makes scrolling back at opportune times much more convenient than doing it in-game.

There's also always a perpetual "grep -i ishtar" on my desktop. :P
I alone have the flet!
[Edit 2 times, last edit by kaosfere at Oct 19, 2005 12:06:31 PM]
[Oct 19, 2005 12:04:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Bobie

I use the chat parser tool, because I also have terrible puzzle vision [unless I'm gunning], and it's easier for me to catch up on what i missed at the start and end of a brawl when i can jump around to the "relevent" tabs, see more text without scrolling.
Bendeall (Bo, if you know me)

Captain, Phoenicians. Related to teh BSBizzle.

Somewhat hostile, and not very helpful

http://boomytunes.serverroom.us:7660

Tune in, Rock out. Sometimes.
[Oct 19, 2005 12:06:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    BobieLaptop [Link]  Go to top 
Chavez67

I'll tell ya one thing I'd love added to the parser tool. (since it's author is hanging around this thread)

It drives me nuts having to check the stats for noticeboard applicants while I'm trying to do the nav puzzle. Because, well, you can't. I think it'd be cool if you could /who someone out of the chat parser window, so you didn't have to close your puzzle down.

The /who info is just an html call, isn't it?

I did it.
clarify
It was me.

[Oct 19, 2005 1:51:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

It is, but it's authenticated based on a cookie that is apparently passed to your client when you log on, based on the TCP dumps I've done on game transactions.

My pirate info page is http://midnight.puzzlepirates.com/yoweb/pirate.wm?target=Rummykins

I haven't taken any time to see if that cookie is stored in a readable format in the Y!PP resource directories, so that it could be used by an outside app, or if you'd need to sniff network traffic to intercept it. Maybe I'll do that tonight if I get bored enough.
I alone have the flet!
[Oct 19, 2005 1:59:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
bemis

Chavez67 wrote: 
Yes, it is possible - but I have some concerns. My understanding from previous forum posts is that these requests (unlike the tax data & such) require you to authenticate to the webserver using your in-game username and password. I would not want to encourage folks to get used to typing this information into anything but the Puzzle Pirates client itself.

Secondly, given the authentication required, it's unclear whether doing this would count as 'impersonating the client' in the Ringer's eyes. I'd definitely want an OK from them on this before would ever add it in.

Edit: Rummykins, perhaps a bit of advice - before you break out your network sniffer tonight to try to decrypt the traffic between the client and the server and post all about it on the forums, read section 6.13 of the TOS.
Bemis - Senior Officer, Yarr Talk/National Pirate Radio on Cobalt
[Edit 2 times, last edit by bemis at Oct 19, 2005 3:10:44 PM]
[Oct 19, 2005 2:11:04 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kaosfere

Edit: Rummykins, perhaps a bit of advice - before you break out your network sniffer tonight to try to decrypt the traffic between the client and the server and post all about it on the forums, read section 13 of the TOS.

Uhh. Section 13, the best that I can make sense of it, seems to apply most directly towards exporting cryptographic algorthyms, which I have no intention of doing. (Although, hell, I'm a registered arms trafficker already.)

I don't see how sniffing an unencrypted protocol on your own machine is in any way relevant. The worst thing I'm doing is potentially violating reverse-engineering laws, but I think you'd have to stretch really far to argue that.

Thanks for the concern, though.
I alone have the flet!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kaosfere at Oct 19, 2005 2:33:42 PM]
[Oct 19, 2005 2:30:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.devzero.org    kaosfere    Torvalds    871887 [Link]  Go to top 
Dmunch

The thing that bugs me (was this already mentioned?) is when I'm not the CO or hiring officer of a ship, yet, because I'm an officer, I still get all of those Ahoy tab job replies.

I'd love to disable the job replies altogether, because I often miss something important in chat when both of my hands are occupied puzzling. It's annoying to take my fingers off of the arrow keys, to grab the mouse, to click back to chat every 10 seconds. Is there a keyboard shortcut for closing those?

(I run the client full-screen, because it's too teeny tiny otherwise, so the chat parser would be useless to me.)
Bluto.
[Oct 19, 2005 2:45:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates