• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 16
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2059 times and has 15 replies Next Thread
Geo

Getting dropped to login screen Reply to this Post

Lately, when I play I seem to be subject to random disconnects. I'll be in the middle of a puzzle and then *bam* I'm looking at the login screen! It doesn't seem to be related to my dial-up connection as I am able to log back into puzzle pirates without re-dialing. On all but one occasion I was the only one in my crew who experienced a sudden disconnect. I didn't have this problem untill about a week ago. It doesn't happen all the time, either. I can go a day or so without a problem and then the next time I log on I can't seem to stay connected. Usually it's around 8pm-2am EST that I am playing. I don't *seem* to be experiencing lag before the disconnects happen, but I guess I could just be lagging out. Anyone else having this problem? Any insight would be great! Thanks!
[Sep 16, 2003 4:17:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

Re: Getting dropped to login screen Reply to this Post

i think when ursela had a similar problem she tracked it down to getting heavy packet loss.

try to use a trace tool that tracks packet loss as well (i personally like pingplotter) and trace azure3.puzzlepirates.com when the problem occurs.
----------------------------------------
- Randal

[size=9]also Garf, Silvain and a few others
[Sep 16, 2003 4:36:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

Actually it ended up that our cable modem had gone bad, which accounted for the packet loss. The Ping plotter was extreamly helpful towards tracking it down :)

I was disconnecting anywhere from once every 10 minutes, to once a minute. (Usually in the middle of a swordfight or sea battle!!)

If you usually disconnect at a certain time, it is probably just that alot of people are dialing up at the same time...

hope this helps!
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Sep 16, 2003 6:04:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Excuse my ignorance, but what on earth is packet loss?
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 16, 2003 9:54:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BrokenShard

Lizzie wrote: 

Its when the FedEx plane crashes into the Atlantic Ocean.

-Faldez
~Faldez the Urchin of Former Legend
[Sep 16, 2003 10:04:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

BrokenShard wrote: 

Its when the FedEx plane crashes into the Atlantic Ocean.

No wonder everyone was so upset after seeing Castaway.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 16, 2003 10:21:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Lizzie, packet loss is a condition where information packets being transmitted never reach their destination. This can be due to a number of things, such as faulty hardware or servere data congestion. Often times when suffering from packet loss you'll need to resend the same data over and over until the server actually receives it. This can result in performance that is sometimes just as bad as lag, and sometimes far worse.
[Sep 16, 2003 10:29:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Oh. That mostly went over my head, but I think I got the gist. And there's a way to fix this, you say?
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 16, 2003 10:34:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

that depends on the cause.

in urselas case, it was caused by a piece of defect hardware on her side, but more commonly (especially with cable connections) its overloaded routes between yer isp and the puzzle pirates server. in that case, ye can either tell yer isp to fix it (a packetloss-free connection is not a feature, but the standard) or change isps.
- Randal

[Sep 16, 2003 10:45:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Yes, if the packet loss is due to a problem on your end. If, however, it is the result of poor hardware or congestion elsewhere (internet routers), there isn't a lot you can do. You can try complaining to your ISP, but that rarely gets one anywhere.

Basically, what's happening is your computer sends out some data and it's not reaching the final destination totally intact. Bits of the data here and there may be "lost" either to shoddy modems, bad routers or immense amounts of internet traffic.

Imagine if you sent a letter to someone in the mail and at every post office it passed through it lost a word here and a word there. When it reached its final destination and the recipient finally opened the letter, depending on how bad the loss was, they may or may not be able to make heads or tails of your message. If it's bad enough that nothing can be understood, you'd have to try sending it again. And again and again -- until a copy finally made it through the gauntlet of crazy postal workers without losing most of its text.
[Sep 16, 2003 10:45:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Oh. Well thats lame. I'm networked to my boyfriend's ADSL connection at the moment but will soon be returning to my classy ol dial up. How do I know if the problem is at my end?

Ugh.. hate being dumb about stuff..
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 16, 2003 10:48:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Running a trace will display for you the status of your connection to various routers along the way to a destination point. It will basically show you the path your information is taking to get to any given website, how much of it is getting there in one piece, and at which hop the information is being lost (if any).

If you are running any current version of Windows, you can open up the command prompt and type in this: tracert azure3.puzzlepirates.com

That'll give you some basic trace information. Ping times will be displayed in ms, packet loss will be displayed by an asterisk.
[Sep 16, 2003 11:00:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Sep 16, 2003 11:43:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Ok I did that, a couple times.. the first time there was one asterisk and the other time there was none. What does that mean? lol sorry to be moronic!
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 16, 2003 2:21:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
garf

tracert is not really suited to detect a packet loss problem; i once again recommend ping plotter (or one of the bazillion other tools for a similar purpose out there; see second post in this thread for a link).

set it to 5 seconds or so, let it run until ye got a good sample amount and see at which point in the route ye start getting packet loss. if its on all hops, then the problem is possibly on your side. if it only affects one hop, but not the hops after that, its not a real problem. if it starts at one hop and continues for all hops after that, its a problem that only your isp can handle. if its only on the last hop, tell the ringers to reboot or fix their hardware. ;)
- Randal

[Sep 17, 2003 12:22:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    garf+on+aim [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

Lizzie wrote: 

This is not to be confused with packet choke, where packets are considerably delayed, but still sent...
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 17, 2003 5:57:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates