• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 12
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1403 times and has 11 replies Next Thread
ShawnRPH

Opening a port on your computer Reply to this Post

How do you open a port? I just recently got a DSL line. Could that be the problem?
[Sep 13, 2003 3:54:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BrokenShard

Re: Opening a port on your computer Reply to this Post

go to your control pannel and then go to internet connections, look at your active connection and see if it says it is firewalled, if it is, then you can either remove the firewall or you can go under the advanced firewall options and set it to let in the specific port number.
----------------------------------------
~Faldez the Urchin of Former Legend
[Sep 13, 2003 3:57:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShawnRPH

What if you don't have a firewall? Sorry if I sound stupid pharmacy be my thing not comps
[Sep 13, 2003 4:03:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BrokenShard

if you dont have a firewall then you should be able to log on.

-Faldez
~Faldez the Urchin of Former Legend
[Sep 13, 2003 4:41:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ShawnRPH

Interesting. for some reason it keeps telling me the server is either temporarily down or down for maintenence please wait a few minutes then try again.

Any ideas?
[Sep 13, 2003 4:50:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Syllabic

You shouldn't have any problems connecting to puzzle pirates if you're firewalled.

But to open ports, you'll have to login to your router (if you aren't running the firewall on your local machine).
Armistice, trader extraordinaire
[Sep 13, 2003 4:53:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Arrindier [Link]  Go to top 
ShawnRPH

You shouldn't have any problems connecting to puzzle pirates if you're firewalled.

Thats why I am stumped I cannot log in and I am not behind a firewall. When I try to start my firewall it won't start.
[Sep 13, 2003 5:00:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

Is the DSL modem directly connected to your computer, or are you doing a line-sharing thing with more than one computer? If it's the latter, you will need to set the router to open the appropriate port (4007, I believe, but check the docs).

If it's the former, I don't know enough about Windows to help you, sorry. But since you're getting connections to the web, there's probably some kind of port filtering going on somewhere between your computer and there.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Sep 13, 2003 5:11:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
ShawnRPH

Yeah I only have the one computer but the DSL company I use had me put a filter on the line between the phone jack in the wall and the line to the DSL modem.
[Sep 13, 2003 5:23:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

ShawnRPH wrote: 
Yeah I only have the one computer but the DSL company I use had me put a filter on the line between the phone jack in the wall and the line to the DSL modem.

That's not a firewall, that's just a DSL filter.
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 14, 2003 10:23:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Aye, the filter just makes it bearable to talk on the phone.
[Sep 15, 2003 12:04:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

Actually....

DSL works by using frequencies on the phone line that you don't use when you talk over it. Often, especially in houses with older wiring, there is some 'leakage' across the frequency separation. Yes, you may have a minor improvement in sound when you use the phone for voice dialing, but the filters are optimized more to keep leakage from disrupting your DSL throughput.

ShawnRPH: if you can access the Web, you should not need to open any new ports to get to Puzzle Pirates. I don't think ports are involved with the problem you are experiencing.

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Sep 15, 2003 3:54:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates