• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 8
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1749 times and has 7 replies Next Thread
Weemacfeegle

Why Am I banned from playing? Reply to this Post

I have just registared and got the validation but after I've downloaded the client and tried to log on to acctually play I get this message

"logon failed: This computer has been banned from accessing the game"
How can I be banned when I haven't even started playing yet? I've tried validating three other usernames but get the same message every time.
----------------------------------------
WeemacFeegle

Swordsman of the Spiffy Bow Ties
Officer of the Spiffy Bow Ties
[Sep 11, 2003 8:55:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Re: Why Am I banned from playing? Reply to this Post

See the link for support up between forums and account? Your best bet would be found following that link.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 11, 2003 8:58:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Weemacfeegle

Thanks,
I've e-mailed Cleaver and hopefully he will un ban me!! Would be a little harsh if he doesn't
WeemacFeegle

[Sep 11, 2003 9:24:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Well if you didn't do anything in the first place, it shouldn't be a problem. If you did, thats another story.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 11, 2003 11:07:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Weemacfeegle

How can I have done anything wrong when I haven't done anything at all apart from register!
WeemacFeegle

[Sep 12, 2003 12:12:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

More and more people keep complaining about this. Maybe the banning system tries to prevent dynamic IPs and in doing so, also bans similar IPs of unsuspecting people.
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 12, 2003 12:31:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
Amberyl

burrito wrote: 
Maybe the banning system tries to prevent dynamic IPs and in doing so, also bans similar IPs of unsuspecting people.

Given that virtually all service providers use dynamic IPs by default -- whether for dial-up, cable modem, or DSL -- any problem with overly-broad dial-up bans (as per the sticky post) is almost certainly also an issue with almost all residential broadband connections. Dynamic addresses are moderately common on college campuses, too.

For instance, I have SBC DSL. I've seen a huge range of dynamic IP addresses issued to me -- only the first two octets stay the same (and SBC has an even wider range of addresses than that, a full /12, according to ARIN, though probably there's some level of regional aggregation associated with those addresses). The Ringers couldn't IP-ban me without, I wager, preventing a goodly portion of the San Francisco Bay Area from accessing the game.

The problem is even worse for dial-up, particularly since lots of people connect through ISPs that lease modem pools from wholesalers -- sometimes as many as four. That's a lot of dynamic IP pools.

Banning a single IP address won't do any good, in most residential connection cases -- the next time the user logs in (or power-cycles his cable/DSL modem), he'll have another IP. Banning a range of IP addresses will block innocent people, and may not actually block the user it's targeted at. Short form: IP bans aren't terribly effective in most cases.

Unfortunately, it's about as effective as one can get at the moment. I imagine that once the service costs money, the Ringers will just ban certain credit card numbers, and perhaps use a backup of an IP ban that prevents folks in the banned range from getting free trial accounts.
Amberyl, SO, Cult of the Red Mantis, Looterati
Reading the forums a lot is like camping clue. --homullus
[Sep 12, 2003 2:11:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.black-knight.org/pp/    CyberLWL [Link]  Go to top 
Demeter
OceanMaster

This topic is locked now. There's two threads on this now, and a sticky topic, I think that's enough.
"Demeter is sneeeaky." Trickykid

[Sep 12, 2003 2:34:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates