• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 88
Posts: 88   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 4675 times and has 87 replies Next Thread
redrumlebeau

In game chat filters need a boost. Reply to this Post

The New List: an agreement reached among most replies

• Don't make replies to tells be an auto up arrow option, unless it has been typed by you to be there, Or
  • Let us preset and save our up arrow options with an on/off toggle incase we end up needing to talk to someone as a short cut.

These options don't exclude greenies from doing what they do and don't put random names into people's short cuts to throw off the number of ups and increase the chance of a mis-tell.

If you like this idea too let the devs know,

/me humbly steps away from the thread

back now tho lol, its a silly thing to moan about but I just noticed another randomly annoying deal with random tells.

If yer typing in an OBB or a news board and get a tell yer type switches out of the window yer in down to the other. I'm not that wound about that, just figured I'd toss it up on the pile cuz it usually results in typing random things in chat/losing yer place in the window. :P

/me steps away again.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by redrumlebeau at Sep 11, 2005 4:36:09 PM]
[Aug 25, 2005 8:46:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redrumlebeau

Re: In game chat filters need a boost. Reply to this Post

30 to 40 mutes now since buying the villa (cobalt only had shacks and villas at that point). All these people messaging me to get in, I have dnd on so would hate to see how many just knock...

Either way its really annoying while having a conversation with someone important over tells, or in the same room as me when my type and their's gets flooded off the screen.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by redrumlebeau at Sep 8, 2005 8:05:18 AM]
[Aug 29, 2005 10:52:56 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mr_googol

Whoa, you bought a Villa and you're not electing to show it off as much as possible?

Maybe they could implement a feature where only hearties, crew, or flag members tells get added to your "up arrow list,"And you can set your afk to "I'm waaay too good for you if your name is green" (=P), but sometimes people have good, maybe even important, reasons for sending people tells.
Haradore

Resident/former resident of Byrne/Beta/Alpha/Winter Solstice/Guava/Delta/Dragon's Nest/Sakejima/Lincoln/Greenwich/Admiral/Quetzal
[Aug 29, 2005 11:27:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Blackhawk180

Greenies are the solution for tomorrow.
They have to be thought how to deal with the total YPP environment.
If we are going to be blunt and keep the doors closed, they will never have a chance to prove themselves.
When Microsoft makes a product that doesn't sucks.....
It will be a vacume cleaner!!!!
[Aug 29, 2005 11:35:44 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.eveningstar.nl [Link]  Go to top 
mr_googol

I percieve a difference between keeping the doors closed to the hope of tomorrow and not wanting someone to tell you "adugaocjbb" out of the blue because you have a big house.

Edit: and as pointed out, shanghais are there to guarantee that people will introduce greenies to the game.... the people who choose not to don't get any, the people who choose to do, but they also have to deal with the Greenhorns
Haradore

Resident/former resident of Byrne/Beta/Alpha/Winter Solstice/Guava/Delta/Dragon's Nest/Sakejima/Lincoln/Greenwich/Admiral/Quetzal
[Edit 1 times, last edit by mr_googol at Aug 29, 2005 11:48:51 PM]
[Aug 29, 2005 11:44:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

You know...I'm torn here.

I sympathize with you, I do. I have a few friends who have actually made their own alts roomates to fill that "last slot" just so they can point and say, "I'm sorry, I already have the maximum number of roomates allowed".

At the same time, isn't this what you wanted?

I was wearing a friends familiar for about a week one time. It was cute and cuddly and generous of him to loan it out. But, after a few days, I discovered that I didn't really think I wanted my own familiar anymore. I spent as much time answering questions about familiars, and how to get them, telling folks how he got it, that it wasn't mind, that I was borrowing it, that no I wouldn't let it to them, and 500 poe was not enough to purchase one, as I did playing any actual puzzles in the game.

Wearing black or gold, painting your ships black or gold, dozens of portraits, having all ultimates, having a familiar, and buying big rich housing has one purpose. It's to show off, eh...Right? And you know it makes you look cool/rich, that's the whole purpose of it, to show that you are cool/rich. I mean, why else buy a big huge house, other than to say, hey, Look what I have accomplished! So, why are we so surprised when folks do look, and they do note the huge accomplishment, and want to be a part of it?

Don't wear black/gold, don't wear a familiar, don't buy huge housing, and guess what...nobody bothers me.
Selling my Grunion Collection!
174 ships, 164 sloops, ALL GRUNIONS!
[Sep 1, 2005 5:33:49 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Rick9109

I sympathize with you, I do. I have a few friends who have actually made their own alts roomates to fill that "last slot" just so they can point and say, "I'm sorry, I already have the maximum number of roomates allowed".

I was wearing a friends familiar for about a week one time. It was cute and cuddly and generous of him to loan it out. But, after a few days, I discovered that I didn't really think I wanted my own familiar anymore. I spent as much time answering questions about familiars, and how to get them, telling folks how he got it, that it wasn't mind, that I was borrowing it, that no I wouldn't let it to them, and 500 poe was not enough to purchase one, as I did playing any actual puzzles in the game.

Wearing black or gold, painting your ships black or gold, dozens of portraits, having all ultimates, having a familiar, and buying big rich housing has one purpose. It's to show off, eh...Right? And you know it makes you look cool/rich, that's the whole purpose of it, to show that you are cool/rich. I mean, why else buy a big huge house, other than to say, hey, Look what I have accomplished! So, why are we so surprised when folks do look, and they do note the huge accomplishment, and want to be a part of it?

Don't wear black/gold, don't wear a familiar, don't buy huge housing, and guess what...nobody bothers me.

Of course if you choose to not dress to your perceived status then the reverse happens "y u not wear cloth."
Rome
Pirates of the Damned, Crimson Tide.
I don't care what it did to them, the game's been good to me.
[Sep 1, 2005 10:06:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    rick9109    cactusrome [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Eh, I guess that could happen rome. All I know is I walk around in simple clothing, with simple housing and I don't get bothered. I do have tons of portraits, but greenies don't seem to notice that very often. I have tons of ships but again, most greenies don't know that.

I wasn't trying to put anybody down, I'm just slightly shocked when folks are surprised their actions have the result they actually should have expected, that's all.

With that said, it would be nice to have a sort of DND on the housing, where if you truelly wanted to be alone, your name wouldn't even show in the list for folks to knock, and I don't think that would be extremely difficult to make that happen, but I could be wrong.
[Sep 1, 2005 2:19:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Dragonlilly

Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates = social game = social interactions with actual other people on the internet.

This is not Yohoho! Hermit Crabs = I started off green, met some new people who were patient and made this game fun for me, which is why I now pay to play and I now rule this game so now I say that we cut off all contact that the 'well to do subscribers' have with greenies, because screw the possible good greenies that could walk through my Villa, I can't be bothered to type /plank piratename, and possibly /mute piratename to the annoying ones.

Believe it or not, most will accept, 'no,' as an answer and/or leave. If you threaten to plank they will do the same.

I spend a lot of time in both an Estate (Midnight) and Villa (Cobalt), I am a roommate at both. I, myself, don't get why any of these people would think anyone would say yes, but hey, typing, 'No,' really isn't a big deal to me.

Puzzle Pirates is a social game, if ye don't want greenies in, ignore the tells, if they spam you with tells, /mute. Really, I don't see why a social game should be configured like a single player, which is essentially what you are asking for everytime you ask the devs to implement another dimension of /dnd.
Dragonlilly, Captain of SDTC
A very much retired old sea salt! Or would that be sea saltess?
Shanty Raid-io!
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Dragonlilly at Sep 1, 2005 5:19:02 PM]
[Sep 1, 2005 5:13:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://dragonlilly.shantyraidio.com    srdragonlilly    SO+Dragonlilly    101380420 [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

If you want some peace and quiet, go to your house, and shut the door to not allow anyone in. If you don't have a house, you can always obtain a shack for free. If I don't feel like enduring spam from others, I wander to my shack and don't let anybody in. Works quite well.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Sep 1, 2005 5:44:58 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ssergit

Of course if you choose to not dress to your perceived status then the reverse happens "y u not wear cloth."

Omg that's so true. Shuranthae has probably got SO many clothes from people just giving him stuff (sure, he could say no, but he's SHURANTHAE (ps. WHY THE HELL does it quote the entire freaking post over again when I click the format buttons? *hates*).
[Sep 1, 2005 9:44:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redrumlebeau

To reply to this... no
I buy things because its fun to buy things and gives me something to do.
I bought a villa with my 2 best friends in cobalt, it gives us somewhere to hang out, and a tavern where we aren't bothered by people walking in and standing around making rude or lewd comments.
I dress in black because my 2 best friends in the game and I get way too much KB not to.
If I wore rags I wouldn't really enjoy myself and of course would be bugged about that too since I've been the #1 sail in cobalt except for maybe 10 to 15 days since coming here from midnight in late april/early may and am the 3rd most experienced sailer in cobalt also. (my alts are #2 and #3 sailing in cobalt at the moment just a random fun fact, using them to weigh when I have to buckle down and when I can goof off ;p)

Whoever said whatever about the game being a social game

You have your opinions I have mine, either way they're both opinions.

My opinion is YPP is a place I come to visit my very few close friends and almost as few friendly acquaintances that I have as hearties. I am not a social person in game or out though I am a lot more social in YPP than IRL. So I come and play and hang out as my only real outlet and to have people to talk to that I know and trust.

SO... Imagine if you're me...

You spend several hours every day standing inside YPP and talking to your best friends, because you're psychologically disabled and its the only way you can actually have friends or contact beyond your house.

And since these are your only friends you discuss deep meaningful things...

BUT as you start to reply to one up pops on your screen:

Grenleboi4u tells you, LET ME IN!
Grenleboi4u tells you, I wanna see
Grenieboi4u tells you, Come on!

You say, uhg, one sec...
(you have muted Greenieboi4u)
You say, ok had to mute the 10th random person of the day
Your friends say, aww, lol glad its in your name not mine! ;P

Grenleboi4u tells you, let me com C it now!!
(there is no pirate with that name)
Grenleboi4u tells you, ihfdeouwhf
Grenleboi4u tells you, nengfug
(you have muted Grenleboi4u)
you say, geeze finally, sorry I totally forgot where we were...
/you scrolls up

Ok... so maybe you can start to see why its a big deal?
You can define the game however you want to for yourself, you can say anything you want, and I have the same rights to define the game.

When I signed on the dotted line and gave my money there wasn't a line that said "by paying to play this game you accept the responsability of babysitting 12 year olds, or being bugged and/or harassed by them on a daily basis for having nice things."
[Sep 2, 2005 4:04:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thunderbird

I get that occasionally when I'm in my shack, which just astounds me.
Pirate tells you, "my, that's one BIG wad o' chewing gum ye have mounted on yer bonce! oO'"
Sungod officer chats, "I wonder if anyone's sailing the harpsichord"
Pirate tells you, "ZOMG CANDYFLOSS!!! *munches*"
[Sep 2, 2005 4:07:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redrumlebeau

you have my emphathy T-bird :P I probably would too, but I like to feel removed further than that, so a shack being 1 room it sort of sucks for that... a cellar on the other hand, make you feel alone especially with dimmed lights :D
[Sep 2, 2005 4:10:23 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

Willows wrote: 
Omg that's so true. Shuranthae has probably got SO many clothes from people just giving him stuff
It's not so bad. Well except when my swash crumbles, then I get a hoard of people who see my going around in rags and they figure out something to finally get me that I'd actually use, and have like half a dozen swashes by the next week. Though sometimes it's fun to go around in rags just to make people think all my other clothes crumbled and see what I get.
[Sep 2, 2005 5:37:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moler22190

save a LOT of Paying players' time

So paying players are the only ones who get random tells or deserve to have filters??

There are many Viridian players who pay just as much as a sub and would benifit from a filter as well. I dont see why paying players regard themselves higher.
Don't pave me, please!
For real this time wrote: 
but I shall no longer take any active part in the game, on any ocean.

Join the local PPA - Puzzle Pirates Anonymous, coming to a town near you!
[Sep 2, 2005 11:22:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    moler22190 [Link]  Go to top 
redrumlebeau

[quote]So paying players are the only ones who get random tells or deserve to have filters??

There are many Viridian players who pay just as much as a sub and would benifit from a filter as well. I dont see why paying players regard themselves higher.
[/quote]

seems you're just tryin to start something but instead of that I'd like to point out yer own statement

[quote]There are many Viridian players who pay[\quote]

see there, you're a paying player too 0.o I don't remember specifying an ocean or payment option :-P

The paying player comment was directed at the difference between a greenie and someone who pays.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by redrumlebeau at Sep 3, 2005 1:23:44 AM]
[Sep 3, 2005 1:22:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryboy5

I am all for talking with/treating new players with respect. I can't stand people who judge a new player and make fun of them or call them a n00b as a derrogatory term with no valid reason.

What I can't understand is why so many greenies forget how to function or something when they come online. They freak out if you don't reply to them quickly, they can't keep up with slow conversations much less a group of people talking. They are so forward with you so much as to ask to be your roommate (I've had this 2 dozen times in my cottage!) and when I say "I don't know you" they say "lets get to know each other then I can be your roommate."

DANG I hate that so much.

Then you get the rare gems that are polite and honest and become your good friends.

I cannot comprehend this stupidity. I know I was never as bad as half of these people I run into... even when I'm new I at least have some shred of self control and politeness...

That's what I think of when this increased chat filtering is suggested... and for this situation, I am torn for the 1 out of 100 other idiots that is an intelligent, sensible player.

/rant
==Gameboy, nerd of the Seas==
Those are some nice pants.

Poseidon says, "then tell me THAT ONE!! PWEESE"
[Edit 2 times, last edit by ryboy5 at Sep 3, 2005 2:06:32 AM]
[Sep 3, 2005 2:03:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.double-u-double-u-double-u-dot-dot-com.com [Link]  Go to top 
Darkaardvark

What totally ruins my day is getting tells from random new players

Quoted for truthery.

*eye roll*
Pleun wrote: 
Try searching using the correct spelling, the search option is very picky about that.

(Avatar by Synful.)
[Sep 3, 2005 10:44:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

Hehe, Gameboy. What you're looking for is more a conversation on social issues, than chat filters on YPP.

And you hit the nail on the head, for me, with one word you used. Forward. As a newbie, when I started playing, the word of the day was to bend over backwards to try to make sure I was not a burden on anybody. Half the newer folks come in with the attitutde of "What can you do for me?" instead. I could never imagine being so Forward. as to impose on others the way so many do. Beg for poe? I can't understand where your head has to be for you to ask somebody to give you something they worked for and you did not. I find it deeply insulting-that the beggar feels their time, effort, and desires are somehow much more important than their victims. But it isn't really that they think that, they are just being raised in a self-involved society and thus, they think of themselves only. They only know what they want, they don't give a thought at all to what somebody else wants. Thus, the begging, and the impatience, the desire for immidiate gratification...

On a side note, I pillaged with Gameboy the other day, and I enjoyed your company, mate.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by imwamphyr at Sep 3, 2005 10:48:30 AM]
[Sep 3, 2005 10:46:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Faulkston

Ask not what other pirates can do for ye but what ye can do for other pirates.

Faulkston,
adapting a quote
[Sep 3, 2005 10:50:17 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://forums.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/search [Link]  Go to top 
ryboy5

On a side note, I pillaged with Gameboy the other day, and I enjoyed your company, mate.

Aye, much fun is had when showing Brigands the business end of a cannon ;P

Thank ye fer havin me.

[Sep 3, 2005 2:09:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.double-u-double-u-double-u-dot-dot-com.com [Link]  Go to top 
mr_googol

The problem is that new players don't have to go through anything that teaches them how to act in the game, in any aspect. The only things they are actually taught in the intro are bilge pumping and swordfighting. When I was a greenie, I walked around asking anybody I could find how to join the navy. The first job I took, I was whisked to the ship-- I had no idea where I was, so I ended up leaving and trying to find that funny page with the crews on it again and see if I could get more info. The first pillage I actually went on, I had to ask where the bilging station was. If I had been asked to do anything else, none of the other puzzles being on the intro, I would have asked, "How?" then spent the next hour wondering why I had found myself on land again. Most newer players don't even know the basic functions of the game, how can anyone expect them to know the more complex, tedious, precise, and careful art of not ticking older players off?
Haradore

[Sep 3, 2005 4:36:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redrumlebeau

When I did deal with new players, once upon a time, I never planked for honest wanting to learn questions, those aren't a problem at all and also why I never bothered hiring jobbers to find recruits. Navy ships, those are where the greenie who want to at least learn or improve are at.

But really it shouldn't be nearly as hard as you think to not tick older players off (older in game and IRL). If you'd act in here as you would IRL most of these problems could be avoided.

I've asked around and IRL no one i have asked has been approached by a random 12 year old who then started to speak in tongues. Yet somehow here it seems to happen ALL the time.

If you want to learn to play come to the forums and research, work for the navy, do missions, THEN try jobbing, generally someone who wants to learn to play won't spew random letters or orders to experienced players.

If you don't want to learn to play you most likely won't end up paying anyway so just quit wasting your own and our time ;p
[Edit 1 times, last edit by redrumlebeau at Sep 8, 2005 8:12:02 AM]
[Sep 4, 2005 2:32:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
starrarose

new suggestion: only subscribers can send tells to non hearties

Please remember that not everyone plays on the subscriber oceans. That's not fair to doubloon players.

Not to mention if only Subscribers can send tells to non hearties - how on earth are greenies supposed to learn anything? They hit a button - and it flicks them into a tell conversation - Whoops! You're not allowed to use that function - greenie quits game in disgust. Greeter broadcasts end in /tell Greeter to reply - oops! Greenies aren't allowed to do that again, greenies quite en mass in disgust - game dies, Cleaver and Three Rings goes Broke - we have to go play Runescape *shudder*
Phoenix - Black Plague to the core, Flag may change randomly.

Prometheus wrote: 
TheRack wrote: 

I think the OM's suck and are cheats.

no u

-Pro

[Sep 4, 2005 4:41:59 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
redrumlebeau

arg yea thats confusing, I like to lump dubloons in with subscriber oceans either way yer paying yer choice of payment doesna matter so much to me :P
[Edit 2 times, last edit by redrumlebeau at Sep 8, 2005 8:13:35 AM]
[Sep 4, 2005 8:24:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ryboy5

The problem is that new players don't have to go through anything that teaches them how to act in the game, in any aspect. The only things they are actually taught in the intro are bilge pumping and swordfighting. When I was a greenie, I walked around asking anybody I could find how to join the navy. The first job I took, I was whisked to the ship-- I had no idea where I was, so I ended up leaving and trying to find that funny page with the crews on it again and see if I could get more info. The first pillage I actually went on, I had to ask where the bilging station was. If I had been asked to do anything else, none of the other puzzles being on the intro, I would have asked, "How?" then spent the next hour wondering why I had found myself on land again. Most newer players don't even know the basic functions of the game, how can anyone expect them to know the more complex, tedious, precise, and careful art of not ticking older players off?

It is true, there will be jerks that treat a new player badly the second they show a sign of non-understanding.

My only thing is that even if you don't know what the heck you're doing, that doesnt mean you have the right to vent frustration onto other players or be rude.

I have helped many nice greenies who asked me for help and I was glad to give it because they treated me like a person, not yelling at me because they are frustrated and don't understand anything.

I find that 9/10 people are willing to help someone who is willing to learn.

[Sep 4, 2005 6:17:22 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.double-u-double-u-double-u-dot-dot-com.com [Link]  Go to top 
redrumlebeau

man has this thread ever side tracked :P

Point still standing tho, all arguements about the nature of greenies aside, I still strongly feel we need a privacy filter.

I don't get why there's so much arguing over it, it would be optional just like all other filters are.

I'm sure there are people who get a rise out of random people giving them attention because of their posessions or skills and all of the pirates who want shanghais or bigger crews won't use the filter unless they're just having a really bad day.

But those of us who just want to be left alone, either for a night or permanently, should have at least the choice to do so right?

I mean the backbone of the entire game isn't children who should be told to play nice and are young enough to not really mind random tells. They're only really around in the summers.

The game is made possible by college students who have full days without classes, adults without families to worry with that can play all week-end, people who are disabled, and people who are retired.
These are the people putting in hours and hours every day to make the atmosphere like it is and bringing items to the market in large amounts so the game can function at the level it is.

Take a poll of ages of the monarchs of the biggest flags, I'd be suprized if you didn't come up with between 40 and 50 years old being the averaged age, and if its below 30 ask if they're disabled, some of the greatest people I've met in on-line games like this one have been disabled.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by redrumlebeau at Sep 8, 2005 8:21:32 AM]
[Sep 5, 2005 2:28:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fanta

And I was right in my assumptions I have allowed 2 of the people who sent me tells into my villa only to be asked by one if they could be a room mate, (sure I'll let you share my house for free so you can come in and make all my furni crumble, get real!

You know, someone who just started playing may not know everything yet. Like the fact they can get a free shack. I've had these questions too, and when i tell them about the free room in the shack, they are mostly very happy and run off to get one.

And you know, houses are new, people are gonna want to see how they look like, it will get less.
Pleun,
First Mate of Monkey Militia, TO in Carpe Noctem, Midnight ocean,
owner of the Dainty Dolphin and the Mystical Dragon.

Avatar made from artwork by Kagaya
[Sep 5, 2005 2:36:08 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
imwamphyr

But really it shouldn't nearly as hard as you think to not tick older players off. If you'd act in here as you would IRL most of these problems could be avoided.

Thank goodness! I've been saying this for a year and have yet to find anybody else who agrees with me!!! I can't tell you how many times it's come up. I keep saying, I don't give a darn if another game taught them it was acceptable, I don't want to be around folks who have the mentality that they can behave worse online just because it's online. I don't want to teach them the standards of behavior here are different, because they are NOT different from real life. To me, a person who behaves worse online than they do in real life because they think they can get away with it (even if they are capable of learning that they can not get away with it), is dishonest and I will simply never feel comfortable trusting them. The next time they "think" they can get away with something else, they've already proven they will try it. You're not teaching them acceptable behavior in the game when you mentor them, you're just teaching them what they can get caught on...

Yes, I know folks like to roleplay, and I'm not against that. There is just a difference in the honest attempts at roleplay and some of the crappy poor behavior we see sometimes.
[Sep 5, 2005 3:54:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Pirate Muroni [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 88   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates