• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 33
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1888 times and has 32 replies Next Thread
telford3

Captain's cut or Ship owner cuts Reply to this Post

I know the hold log has been brought up over and over. But I haven't seen anything that automatically gives the captain a cut of the booty. This would be small only %5 or so, but it could simply be deposited automatically in the bank of whatever Island they are in. This Would make the need for a hold log less, and be a way for a captain who owns multiple ships in his fleet to see money from them without having to go on everyone of them. This could also be added to give a cut to whomever holds the deed for this ship. I don't get stolen from from my officers, they flat out don't give me anything, one of them was selling my rum and cannon. I am a two-bit captain with 8 ships I think, and I have to go on everyone to find if my officers were generous the night before.
----------------------------------------
I am Stabbles, hear me roar!
[Sep 8, 2003 6:21:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Re: Captain's cut or Ship owner cuts Reply to this Post

the Captain of a ship while it's out there gets a cut same as everyone else. The owner unless they are on the ship gets no cut, as well it should be.

If you got a cut of the booty every single time any ship you owned made any money whether you were online or not, why on earth would you go onto your ships? you could sit around, chat, talk, do nothing and be raking in money. Plus that's less money for the people who are actually working for it, which would not go over well with a crew

"sure you actually pillaged ten ships, but i get 600 poe out of the booty, you know, cuz it's my boat"

If you want money from owning a ship, start a crew where nobody is officer or higher but you, so only you can take the boat out.
[Sep 8, 2003 6:32:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
GuybrushT

I actually rather like this idea, it would give a little more incentive to own a ship. I know that most love the idea of having a ship just for having one, but to me, they all look the same and are only as good as the function they serve. Being in the MM we have like 50 ships, so what would be the point in my buying my own?

If the owner of the ship was given say...3% of every transaction, or whatever, it would make owning a ship more enticing. When dividing booty from a pillage run, 3% automatically is deposited in the bank, when on a trade run, when the goods are sold, 3% into the bank. or 2% or perhaps even 1%.

Also, if I were to buy a ship, i'd wnat people to use it as often as possible obviously, so perhaps i'd make sure to keep it stocked up with extra shot and rum, and i could say "the Skillful Marlin is ready for pillage, no need to replace the rum and shot!" or whatever, hrm...ok maybe i woulnd't do that, but you see hwere i'm going with that.

Also, an idea that was brought up the other day in a conversation was that gov. could charge "rent" or whatever for docking ships on their islands. 25 poe for a small sloop, 35 for a large, 100 for a grand frigate etc etc
[Sep 8, 2003 6:32:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

To expand Devonin's idea, you being the only officer could then "order" people to do the various tasks, and they could run the ship while you laze about.
[Sep 8, 2003 6:35:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Like the crew i saw yesterday, that was something like this:

0.5/1/2/5/10/15/20 35% crew cut

So you make yourself the captain, never promote anyone past Pirate.

you get 20 to 2 shares to anyone on board, and as the only officer+ only you can get at the additional 35% crew cut.

needless to say, there was one ship, and no crewmates on this crew
[Sep 8, 2003 6:40:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

In my crew, the rule is you work, you get paid, you don't work, you don't get paid. Other arrangements can be made, of course, but that's the default. As Captain or ship owner, the same thing applies. If I'm not working, I don't expect to get any money, and I don't think I should get any money.
[Sep 8, 2003 6:44:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

telford3 wrote: 
I know the hold log has been brought up over and over. But I haven't seen anything that automatically gives the captain a cut of the booty. This would be small only %5 or so, but it could simply be deposited automatically in the bank of whatever Island they are in. This Would make the need for a hold log less, and be a way for a captain who owns multiple ships in his fleet to see money from them without having to go on everyone of them. This could also be added to give a cut to whomever holds the deed for this ship. I don't get stolen from from my officers, they flat out don't give me anything, one of them was selling my rum and cannon. I am a two-bit captain with 8 ships I think, and I have to go on everyone to find if my officers were generous the night before.

What an absolutely awful idea. I go out and work hard pillaging with my jobbers to pull in some booty, and then some of that PoE goes to my captain, who was probably not even online at the time? I can't think of one reason that the captain should get poe in this way. Generally once you own a ship, your earning skyrocket any way. I think I will have to protest loudly if this is implemented.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 8, 2003 8:47:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
telford3

you say this because you own no ships Reply to this Post

I did all this hard work I have almost 100,000 poe invested in my ships, yes invested. I put in the time to get these ships, I want a return. It's like leasing things, you lease a paint sprayer, you paint a guys house, he pays you, you pay for the lease. If you want to use somebody elses things that cost them money, you should give them a kick-back. If you want to use a ship for free, buy a ship. If you want to use somebody else's toy, you have to pay them for it.

You use sombody else's things, you pay them for it.
[Sep 8, 2003 9:35:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Morrigan

You do get a return, you get to command them, and you get to earn money pillaging.

I'd guess you're one of the crews with a crappy booty division where the captain gets way more than anyone else.
~Beryl
Captain of the Pernicious Plunderers
Queen of the Alliterative Aristocracy
Owner- Terran Wear, Gaea
[Sep 8, 2003 9:49:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Then at the very least, you have a very appropriate avatar :P

Put simply, if you want a return on your money, try to get your hands on a shop. There you get money even if you aren't around, and more than 3% I'd wager.

The problem is that you say "I have 100,000 invested in my ships" It's not that the system is wrong, it's that you have the wrong idea about ships. That's all. You are thinking shops.
[Sep 8, 2003 9:59:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
foolishjoke

Crew cut??? Reply to this Post

I don't see this problem as weather this idea is good or not, the problem is that there is not such thig as a crew cut. It should be called officer on deck cut.

With a name like crew cut one would believe that to money would be spent on crew things, like the forementioned rum and shot. Simply this is not the case, the crew cut is just a bonus to the already large booty share the captain or officer gets. Well I don't wanna see a system that makes the captain poe fat for doing nothing, I would like to see something in place that would make sure some of the money goes to resupplying the ship.

The people who argue they work hard for thier money, you could be just as greedy as the captains you believe would live off this fat. Can you honestly say you put the whole crew cut into ship stuffs and the your 4 or 5 shares of the booty is the only poe you walkway with?

I own a few ships in my crew and when I first got them I tried to keep them supplied. That was a futile effort, and wasted alot of poe. Officers who don't own ships rarely restock them, for that would cut in to thier profit margins.

While this might be a bit strong its an idea, the crew cut is broken in away or just misnomered. Maybe that crew cut should be only be useable for certian purchases like rum and shot. Or lock the crew cut into hold so that officers could not go into the hold and take it out , or have it put into special ship accounts where it could only purchase supplies for said ship. This would be good in the idea that it would generally lower the large crew cuts I see in most crews (30% and higher). If the officers wanted that money they would have to give themselves larger shares whice could turn off jobbers, and could force crews to pay them better.

- Derkire
Der Kire,
Titled Member of Chaos
Captain of The Proletariat Primates
[Sep 8, 2003 10:47:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Foolishjoke [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Well I don't know what crew you're from, but as an officer of the Mad Mutineers I have never used the crew cut money for anything but Rum, Shot, or trade goods which then get the profits split among the crew.
[Sep 8, 2003 11:59:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

I think a ship owner getting a cut would be a great idea if:

1) ships were much harder to buy, and
2) if there were more to it.

1 would mean that you'd probably need financiers for ships. Some of you have the problem with 2, because yeah, right now they'd rake in money without doing anything because it's not part of the game. If you had to work in things like docking fees and barnacle scraping costs, it'd be another aspect of the game, like running a shop.

I think that'd make the idea interesting, but I suspect it would take the game in a direction the ringers don't want to go.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Sep 8, 2003 12:41:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
telford3

Your are a saint Reply to this Post

Denovin,

You are a saint, I know in my youf, I used crew cut money to bolster my profits..... wait I still do that because it's my ship! The officers are renting the ship from me, I put in all the work and poe of getting it, and rum and shot can be bought with a %5-%10 crew cut. How big is your crew's cut?
[Sep 8, 2003 12:42:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fireballl87

Re: Your are a saint Reply to this Post

telford3 wrote: 
Denovin,

You are a saint, I know in my youf, I used crew cut money to bolster my profits..... wait I still do that because it's my ship! The officers are renting the ship from me, I put in all the work and poe of getting it, and rum and shot can be bought with a %5-%10 crew cut. How big is your crew's cut?

er... the only time ill even take money out of the crewcut is when im buying rum... or if i just put in an order of rum that i didn't pay for with crewcut... then ill use it... and mind you... this is on my ship... which is the only one ill take out anymore... otherwize another officer is in charge... and ill do nothing but offer a bit of my money to aid in buying the ships...
"Even if I die... I'll come back alive."
[Sep 8, 2003 12:48:53 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Re: you say this because you own no ships Reply to this Post

telford3 wrote: 
I did all this hard work I have almost 100,000 poe invested in my ships, yes invested. I put in the time to get these ships, I want a return. It's like leasing things, you lease a paint sprayer, you paint a guys house, he pays you, you pay for the lease. If you want to use somebody elses things that cost them money, you should give them a kick-back. If you want to use a ship for free, buy a ship. If you want to use somebody else's toy, you have to pay them for it.

You use sombody else's things, you pay them for it.

No-one else uses my ships. I use my ships.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 8, 2003 3:57:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Devonin wrote: 
Well I don't know what crew you're from, but as an officer of the Mad Mutineers I have never used the crew cut money for anything but Rum, Shot, or trade goods which then get the profits split among the crew.

Same here. UNLESS I am using my own ship. In that case, I buy lots of rum and shot, and take any profit. If I did use someone else's, I leave everything there they had already, and any extra we pillaged.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

The crew cut is for rum, shot, trading, and other grander crew projects like getting bigger ships, buying stores, and making an island bid. I do not see what else you could justify using it for.

Any money you take out of the crew cut should be used to buy something that is not for you alone. For some people this could even mean equipping newbies.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 8, 2003 5:23:48 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

54x wrote: 
The crew cut is for rum, shot, trading, and other grander crew projects like getting bigger ships, buying stores, and making an island bid. I do not see what else you could justify using it for.

Any money you take out of the crew cut should be used to buy something that is not for you alone. For some people this could even mean equipping newbies.

If this was aimed at me, a couple of points:
- I have been known to buy several new of my new crew clothing.
- I wish I could cut my crew cut lower sometimes, but its already at 15%
- To take poe out the hold and trade it to the crew everytime is a little messy, methinks.
- I just used quite a lot of personal PoE buying a large ship. So I'm not just spending it on a mirrored black/black cleaver. :)
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 8, 2003 5:31:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Arishia

This is a question about the crew cut I have.... if anyone can give me a good answer, I'd be much obliged.

Let's say we have a pirate named "Jane"... and Jane is part of a crew. Now, Jane has her own boat that she takes out frequently. The boat is hers, she paid for it with her money entirely. She keeps it stocked with rum and cannon balls (often the poe is out of her own pocket). Now, when she goes out pillaging, does she still give the crew cut to a captain who's rarely on and didn't contribute anything to the boat? Or does she keep it for restocking and to slowly work up what she spent on the ship to begin with?

I'm just curious, because most of these scenarios imply the ships in use were purchased by the captain who's trying to recover money spent on their investments. Whereas the above scenario's a little different.

I'm just curious how it's supposed to work, I've gotten a few opposing answers.
o/~ I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am o/~
[Sep 8, 2003 5:56:47 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

I personally think Jane is entitled to the remainder in the coffers, especially if her crew is part of a flag and is about to get an island, and Jane helps to get supplies regularly which actually leaves Jane sometimes out of pocket.

If Jane's crew isn't on their way to an island, and desperately needs more ships, maybe she could take the funds, keep em, but donate poe to ships?

If Jane's crew doesn't need money for rum and shot, and she is consistently getting waaaay too much in the crew cut, maybe she should discuss with her captain the possibility of lowering the crew cut.

That's my two cents.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 8, 2003 7:58:02 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
foolishjoke

Well I don't doubt any of your honesty, but there is a lot of dishonest people out there. People are trying to be Pirates, and that is not the most honest profession. Officers who own ships are usually alot better at keeping the hold stocked but who don't never bother.

I was once on a big crew, And I quit because I would stock my ship and it would be empty everytime I went to use it. A lot of people are not stocking ships and neither the captain or the Senior officers ever see that crew cut.

I would guess the most crews have dealt with the dishonesty problem, aka people not stocking or stealing from shops. All sorts of things, the hold log would be nice but even that can't stop theivery....

Second, if the crew cut is only for buying supplies howcome they are at like 30%. The average voyage for me nets about 1.5 -2k in crew cut. Now that is alot of rum and shot. I just have a feeling that the crew cuts could be a lot lower but are not because its away to skim money off the top.

-Derkire
Der Kire,
Titled Member of Chaos
Captain of The Proletariat Primates
[Sep 8, 2003 10:48:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Foolishjoke [Link]  Go to top 
Devonin

Exactly. This is also why my crew's crew cut is 15%. I've seen crews with 30+% crew cuts, and would never dream of jobbing with them, and often advise new pirates to keep an eye out for obvious gouging like that.

The best one is when a captain tries to lure jobbers with a decreasing pay scale ie. 1/2/2/4/4/1 so see, how generous am I! the captain only gets 1 share! that's the same as a Jobber! and then you see that they also have a 35% crew cut. well wait a second, they get 1 share of the booty, and their choice of out of 35% of all money taken. not so generous anymore.

If we factored in the captain getting a cut even while not on board, and the holder of the deed while not on board, even with that little 3% cut that was suggested, you're still seeing a drastic cut in pay to jobbers and cabin people especially, but all across the board
[Sep 8, 2003 11:34:14 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Penndalla

Some of ye folks do no' seem to understand that thar be no universal rule fer how the crew cut works. If a crew decides it be used fer feedin' the hungy on Alpha docks, then that surely be what they crew be fer.

The Rudder Lubbers first funded a nice fleet o' ships with the cut. Then we helped fund an island. The oficers restock off it, then the rest be turned into the captain. Me thinks we be havin' it down to 12% or 15% -- somewhar in that range -- now that we be havin' most o' our needs co'ered.

Good crews should be able to manage they poe. Ye don't have God forcin' ye to handle money a certain way on real ships. Best sail with mates ye trust. Ye know what happens when ye bed with dogs...
Pennsuedo

My art: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all
[Sep 8, 2003 11:57:08 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y245/Pennsuedo/?start=all [Link]  Go to top 
Dorel

It's generally understood by the officers in our crew that the poe gained from pillage and whatever is to be used to restock the ships and trading, period. If you guys are having problems with officers restocking ships and taking poe out of the hold, then maybe you should rethink about who ye promote to officer.
Hermes wrote: 
Gather round, folks, for the Ballad of Dorel the Invulnerable!
silverkitty wrote: 
The ocean is dangerous, bring a lifejacket.

[Sep 9, 2003 12:26:52 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    CeeJayDorel [Link]  Go to top 
BrokenShard

Not all crews are like that however. For instance, Bilge Rats is all about your boat, your rules, no one is even allowed to board your boat unless you give them permission. Since it is the owners responsibility to restock their own boat, its up to them what to do with the crew cut, because no one else is gunna stock the boat for them.

-Faldez
-Enshrouded in shadow
~Faldez the Urchin of Former Legend
[Sep 9, 2003 12:30:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Genavee

Derkire wrote: 

The average voyage for me nets about 1.5 -2k in crew cut. Now that is alot of rum and shot. I just have a feeling that the crew cuts could be a lot lower but are not because its away to skim money off the top.

-Derkire

Ok mate... When I take out the War Brig, I take 3000 poe from my bank account (read: MY PERSONAL POE) and stock the hold with rum and shot. I go through roughly all of it, less 14poe (WOOOOOHOOO!!)

When I go out with a sloop, I use considerably less poe to supply the ship, but the same rule seems to apply. The crew cut quite simply DOESN'T cover all of the cost of supplies. Maybe we need to up it? Hmmmm.

Now we pillage the high seas, split a huge sum of poe between all aboard, and guess what's left? Just a skinny profit, after the rum and shot costs have been re-imbursed to me (in fact, often times, I end up taking my cut to top off for the 3k that I already spent).

I have no idea what you are on about, really. I take a crew for a pillage, and I do that because it's fun (isn't that the point of the game??). I finance the trip, more often than not out of my own pocket. If *I* take the ship out, why on earth should anybody else get access to those funds?

All of our crew agree that if you are piloting the ship, then the crew cut belongs to *YOU* to do with as you please - heck, put it in the booty to split it if you like. The point is, the crew cut IS covering the cost of rum and shot - it's simply a repayment if you want to think of it that way.

Maybe your crew cut is simply too high mate? 15% is ample, and almost perfect.
Genavee

Senior Officer of The Sea Dogs
[Sep 9, 2003 12:42:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
atteSmythe

heck, put it in the booty to split it if you like.

Heh. I do this with suprising regularity.

atteSmythe, who's pretty ambivalent on this whole question

Attesmythe receives loot: [Gauntlets of Social Responsibility]
Attesmythe receives loot: [Ring of Mandatory Selflessness]

[Sep 9, 2003 1:18:44 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://attesmythe.com [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

With the cost of shot down to almost nothing, and the consumption of rum low, even by officers (I'm usually sailing with primarily officers), I usually put the crew cut from the rest of the voyage into the booty at the end and re-divide, because I really don't need all that much cash for shot and rum. In addition, me officers sometimes practically fight to be the ones to restock the ship when we're low before settin' out on a journey. Maybe ye need to make the requirements of bein' an officer clear to yer crew before ye promote.
[Sep 9, 2003 1:50:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Telastyn

Personally I think the crew cut should really be a crew cut, and go to a shared bank account or some such, with a seperate "ship's cut" or some such to be put into the ship's hold.
[Sep 9, 2003 2:12:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 33   Pages: 2   [ First Page | 1 2 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates