• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1295 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
MalkierKing

My First Ad (Experienced Photoshop users please criticize and help) Reply to this Post

I am working on an advertisement for my newly acquired distilling stall on Wrasse. I know this isn't very fancy but it's the most skilled thing I can do for now. I would love some constructive criticism.

I can't figure out how to make the rum bottles I drew 3D without making them look glossy or grainy. I tried bevel and emboss experimenting with every gloss contour and depth. I also tried drop shadows, but they look cheap. Heksubah suggested shading, but I don't understand at all how to do it.

Please, unleash a can of criticism on me, as long as it's helpful.

Thanks,
Chiron
----------------------------------------
Avatar shamelessly stolen from xkcd.
[Aug 19, 2005 1:28:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
karatekitty1

Re: My First Ad (Experienced Photoshop users please criticize and help) Reply to this Post

Ahoy! That is a really pretty ad. However, the writing is a bit faded looking. Meaning it will be hard to read. Try to make it more bold or change the color of the writing. As for the rum bottles, I suggest finding a bottle off the internet and use the cutout feature in photoshop to make it cartoony. Then ye can shade it from there. Otherwise, it looks fantastic! :D
Greenie says, "how do i help orginiz blokeges"
[Aug 19, 2005 7:59:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
MalkierKing

Re: My First Ad (Experienced Photoshop users please criticize and help) Reply to this Post

I was wondering about that. I'll make the text darker. What do you mean make the bottles look cartoony?

Thanks. :D
[Aug 19, 2005 8:07:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
karatekitty1

I was wondering about that. I'll make the text darker. What do you mean make the bottles look cartoony?

Thanks. :D

Well just try the cutout and see what you think. ;)
Greenie says, "how do i help orginiz blokeges"
[Aug 19, 2005 8:46:05 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

There's not nearly enough contrast between the text and the background, and the background borders on too busy anyway. Make the text lighter and we'll see.

What you want to do with the rum bottles is shade them yourself. Actually use the paintbrush function. It's scary, I know, but it really is the best solution. Add a shadow on one side and a highlight on the other, and follow the curve of the bottle. Hell, get a real jug and look at how it reflects and blocks light. A standard photoshop filter will probably not avail you much, to be honest. They almost never do.

Layout is decent, though I'd probably have made the trailing text (your motto) a bit smaller than the rest, and the owned-and-operated line a bit smaller than that.

Flip one of your bottles. If they're going to be clones, at least make them symmetrical. Heh.
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Aug 19, 2005 10:31:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

Remember that the point is to convey the information. A swirly nebula of automatic mud distracts from just about any message, particularly when the text is transparent. Start with the text. Make it contrast with the background. Add images that are related to the message. Don't touch filters/special effects/or any other auto-gee-whiz-button your program has.
[Aug 19, 2005 10:43:07 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
StoneKrush

Remember that the point is to convey the information. A swirly nebula of automatic mud distracts from just about any message, particularly when the text is transparent. Start with the text. Make it contrast with the background. Add images that are related to the message. Don't touch filters/special effects/or any other auto-gee-whiz-button your program has.

aye, i agree totally with this, I work as a graphic Designer for a newspaper company, and we deal with alot of adverts everyday.
At most adverts will have a very faint water mark, or a plain colour background it is extrememly rare to have such a VIVID background on an image, as it distracts away from the information and also the majority of the time it causes the text to be unreadable....

We always start with a plain white box and black text, and build up from there, ye can make a perfectly good and effective advert using just white and black
SALMON from Cobalt- on Shanty Raidio
The Cross-Dressing Pirate
Salmon says, "Ahoy again"
Cleaver says, "Hello scumbag"

[Edit 1 times, last edit by StoneKrush at Aug 19, 2005 11:54:23 AM]
[Aug 19, 2005 11:52:37 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.shantyraidio.com/    ShantySalmon [Link]  Go to top 
MalkierKing

Well I didn't make this ad simply to convet information, as I'm sure it won't get much traffic. I made it more to develop my Photoshop skills, and to learn how to make things look good.

If I wanted white and black, I'd just make a post. ;)
[Aug 22, 2005 12:41:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
DubRub

The words 'Currently Owned and Managed by Chiron' need not be as prominent as 'Halee's Distillery on Wrasse'. Extra details tend to be of a smaller size since advertisements are meant to be flashy pictures with a few words (catchphrase/cute title) which will stick in the mind of consumers.
Dubbrub - The Mad Professor next door
[Aug 22, 2005 3:33:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
stefsorceror

An ad I made in some basic programs. A simple background, contrasting with also pretty simple letters. There are a few problems with it, but it's very basic, so I don't really care. You forgot some vital information, what your rum costs. Apart from that, it's not visible very good because of a very complicated background. Keep it simple. This is just to show what an advertisement could look like. The text isn't big enough, but the picture isn't very big as well.
Tibiaking. Member of TTB, SN. Too cool to have a quote in my signature.

Disclaimer: None of my posts are ment to be offensive. Any tarting about the offensiveness of my posts will be ingored.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by stefsorceror at Aug 22, 2005 5:39:07 AM]
[Aug 22, 2005 5:38:29 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cleiades

I have a bit of free time so I thought I'd throw in my two pieces o' eight.

The best ads are always very simple, short and memorable.
You want the most essential information to stand out the most, so in your case: who you are, where your stall is, why it's important.

I liked the simplicity of stefsorceror's ad, however there are a couple things worth pointing out...just for the sake of this discussion. So here's my example that I threw together...

As you can see, any script-y or italicized font will not make as much of an impact as anything in regular type. Using sans serif fonts can work even better, just make sure it's something you could read at a glance and get all the information you need.

I also highly recommend getting to know the simple Photoshop tools, more so than the filters and such. It takes time and practice, but you'll start to appreciate how much more freedom they give you.
Pleione, Midnight
Ione, Viridian
[Aug 22, 2005 10:07:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates