• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 21
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2092 times and has 20 replies Next Thread
dime

how urgent are logs? Reply to this Post

EXTREMELY URGENT.

My attitude would change from paranoia and mistrust of my crew members (there have been two thefts within the past week) to encouragement.

That's right.. I encourage every pirate to steal from me and every other hard working pirate in our crew. What did you steal? Nothing. That will be my payment to never see you again unless my sword is between us.

An answer with when we might expect this in a patch would be extremely appreciated.
[Sep 7, 2003 1:43:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
dime

Re: how urgent are logs? Reply to this Post

Just wanted to add

There is not an active member of the Mad Mutineers that I do not trust with all that I own. But we are a large crew and there are many before my own time. But even demoting everyone might not solve this problem. Ship logs would..

Trust between crew members is a must. But one bad member ruins all the trust everyone else put in so much effort to build.
[Sep 7, 2003 1:56:58 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
phoenix42

i second this, stealing is a huge problem with all crews it seems...
----------------------------------------
[size=13]Crackles
Kage Bunshin vs Sharingan!!!

[Sep 7, 2003 3:06:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ostracizor

Bump - Another vote for Big Brother.

Internet Annonymity + Expendable Personas = too much opportunity.
[Sep 7, 2003 8:51:43 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Wow.. I feel sorry for all you guys, and I feel really pleased I'm in the crew I am in. We all have our own boats. I leave mine with about 200 poe on board at most.. if someone steals that who cares, but no-one ever has.. I carry all my maps on me; that amounts to nothing people CAN steal. But I doubt very much anyone in my crew actually would.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 7, 2003 9:16:35 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Now wait a second...usually the person who steals maps poe and rum off all ye boats leaves 2 seconds after the fact. What good is a log? So you can know that the person who just left your crew just took all ye money with him/her?
[Sep 7, 2003 10:29:48 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

iamnafets wrote: 
Now wait a second...usually the person who steals maps poe and rum off all ye boats leaves 2 seconds after the fact. What good is a log? So you can know that the person who just left your crew just took all ye money with him/her?

That's not always true at all, from what I have heard. I have heard of numerous poe stolen from ships and boats and the crew has no idea who it was. At the moment its pretty easy to do.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 7, 2003 10:37:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

It's also pretty easy not to notice, even in a small crew. Every crew and flag, from big to small, has or will face a situation like this. Doesn't matter if your the big boys of piracy of the new ships on the sea lanes. It -will- happen. That's just the nature of the beast.

And bear in mind that while everyone may be responsibile and trustworthy, they may know people who are not (or just don't care about the game enough to bother). It's entirely possible for a sibling or a friend to find a password and frame someone else, knowingly or not.

There are certainly ways to prevent it, but say someone hops on ships (or shops for the matter) and slowly, over time, withdraws small sums of money. 10 here, 50 there, 100 here.... -that's- even harder to notice than a lump sum theft of a 1K or so, especially if they take even the smallest effort to hide their withdrawls by matching it up with rum or shot prices at the time. Who'd notice? Rum comes and goes, shot is easily used, and both can be gained and lost from pillaging.

Sure, it's the lump sum thefts that suck, but toss out a thief works only once. Long term protection is something I'm personally more interested in and that's why the log's so important. Being able to notice that person X is taking out poe often (and/or when others aren't logged in) on a more than frequent basis is as handly to be aware of as manually tracking all the poe on all the ships to make sure they haven't changed (by writing down the numbers or making sure they're all round numbers, or whatever).

As for punishment itself... well... in a open social environment like this, it is going to be neccesary to have more potent punishment than other games normally have, more than likely.
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Sep 7, 2003 11:47:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tekanji

I have to agree with the idea of logs. Skimming is a reality and, no matter how good the crew is, always a possibility. I've talked to pirates who have come back from a voyage with 3,000 poe in the hold, gone to bed, then logged on in the morning and found that the sloop is short some poe (same number of other commodities). Is another officer skimming, or did someone take it out on a commodity run, then buy back the amount of rum, thereby changing the amount of poe in the hold?

Map thefts are also common, especially since they are so hard to keep track of right now (especially since you don't immediately know which ones you win off of brigands).

Having a log of who does what (withdraw, deposit, take map, leave map) with timestamps won't solve the world's problems, but it will discourage skimming (and make punishment simple, since the perpetrator will stick out like a sore thumb) and possibly theft in general, and that's a step in the right direction.

So, that's my long winded way of saying that I agree with implementing logs ^^;

-Tekanji
"I mean, its a game about pirates, and we all look like legos..." - PsychoMantis in this thread.
[Sep 7, 2003 2:25:46 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
cmdrzoom

There's also the case of the innocent but forgetful officer who takes a ship out and: has to go to bed/work (maybe even having to leave in the middle of the voyage); has rotten luck pillaging and makes no money with which to buy supplies; didn't get the memo that that hemp in the hold wasn't for sale; walks off with the map(s) by accident; or just plain forgets to replenish the consumables used.

Even if there's no theft or malice involved, it would be very helpful to know which officer booched the Rum puzzle, as it were, so that they can be held accountable.
Starhawk of Mad Mutineers, Azure
Catalina of Twilight's Sabre, Cobalt
[Sep 7, 2003 3:03:19 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

cmdrzoom wrote: 
Even if there's no theft or malice involved, it would be very helpful to know which officer booched the Rum puzzle, as it were.

On that note - I would like to see an indicator stating that rum is low ( 2 or 1 barrel left) when hitting deport. I've seen several examples of movin' 2-3 leagues out before realising exactly what is stated above - that someone spent the rum earlier, and not replenishing.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Sep 7, 2003 3:41:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

meiadm wrote: 
cmdrzoom wrote: 
Even if there's no theft or malice involved, it would be very helpful to know which officer booched the Rum puzzle, as it were.

On that note - I would like to see an indicator stating that rum is low ( 2 or 1 barrel left) when hitting deport. I've seen several examples of movin' 2-3 leagues out before realising exactly what is stated above - that someone spent the rum earlier, and not replenishing.

The programmers would spend months coding in such failsafes to keep us from our own stupidity. We don't need such a system when we can take 10 seconds to walk foward ot the hold (the bigger ships even have holds near the wheelhouse) to check on rum. Let them work on more important things. :)
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Sep 7, 2003 3:58:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

I said I would like to see it - myself I've only forgotten it once, and I had enough still to restock once I reached my destination. Still I've seen those running dry in a brig or larger ship about midway on the journey.
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
spinn

Actually, given that rum and cannon are important (in fact, the only) ship consumables, I think it'd be fair to have them listed in the ship status somewhere. I wouldn't want to have to walk below decks to see how much water we've taken on, either.
And thus, the message is concluded.
[Aug 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.spinnwebe.com/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

meiadm wrote: 
I said I would like to see it - myself I've only forgotten it once, and I had enough still to restock once I reached my destination. Still I've seen those running dry in a brig or larger ship about midway on the journey.

Personally, I think that's just because they are retarded, having jobbed on one or two such ships.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 7, 2003 6:53:38 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
galway

I would like to see logs just so i can keep track of whats happening in my crew. I could look at the log and see that someone took my ship out and earned 2k towards the crew. Next time i see him i can congratulate him. In my crew we tend to poll money out of the hold and store it in our personel bank accounts to keep it safe. I have a notepad I log this on. If the computer did it for me it would be 100% accurate, and I could see how much everyone else has in their accounts as well
[Sep 7, 2003 11:38:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
fcsdiscovery

I must have a very loyal crew. Oftentimes I have left upwards of 10k on a ship just because I am waiting on something and dont' wanna run to the bank and back, then I forget and logoff. I've left 30 grand on a boat for a weekend and came back with everything still there.

I suppose that it is because we are such a small crew (about 10 active members)... Generally I would think you could find the thief though... Everyone knows those guys that are always annoying and doing underhanded things...

Personally, I wouldn't stay in a crew that had stolen from me.
Mr. Pepsi - Senior Officer of the Yellow-Jackets
[Sep 7, 2003 11:45:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Squidbeard

I hope you knocked on wood Reply to this Post

Give it time, Pepsi -- you'll learn soon enough.
Squid
High Priest, Cult of the Red Mantis
[Sep 8, 2003 4:31:19 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://looterati.goldfish.org [Link]  Go to top 
LapLem

My crew was robbed over and over again (most likely by the same 1 or 2 people) no one left the crew (officers at least) it got so bad that we had to start a new crew (the cap'n and a few of his most trusted pirates) this ruins a good amount of fun for a good amount of people and I think if we'd have had the ability to know who did it we coulda posted a warning booted em off the crew and not been robbed upwards of 10 times from the same person.
We all thought we knew who the thief was but in a big crew with a lot of officers we were never sure
logs woulda saved us grief... theres my testimonial.

Lap-Lem
[Sep 8, 2003 4:55:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

If there is a log, it would be great to be able to annotate log entries. For example, I take out a small sloop, sail it to turtle, and take advantage of someone who's left their buy price on wood higher than turtle market's sell price. On the log it shows a voyage with no pillaging using up one barrel of rum, and then several rapid transactions of buy and sell in small quantities, followed by me taking 1000 poe out of the coffers. It would be great to add a line there as a comment saying "trading wood at turtle: 893 poe profit, depositing 500 in crew account and pocketing the rest" or somesuch.

or 'borrowing the horseshoe crabs map for a foraging run' or 'please don't sell the wood in the hold, it's for the shop and we paid a lot for it! you will not make a profit' or something like that.

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Sep 8, 2003 6:31:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Or "Regrogged yer ship. Ye owe me 400poe" ;)
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 8, 2003 2:38:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates