• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 13
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 990 times and has 12 replies Next Thread
lozza2003

Fishing Boats Reply to this Post

A boat that can only hold 6 men:

-Navigator
-Sails
-Bilging
-Carpentry
-Sails 2
-Bilging 2

Due to the fact that the things on the boat are very limited in quantity, the boat will be forced to dock or stop every so often to sort things out.

Also, this allows for the slow fishing boat to be very cheap, say only 3000 PoE, so that the newer players can form crews earlier on.

And perhaps, due it's size, it can be considered unwieldy by many sailors? What I mean by this is that the boat can sometimes stop working for up to 5 minutes in the middle of the sea. All they can do then is carpentry, bilging and defence.

They don't have cannons.
[Sep 7, 2003 1:09:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Re: Fishing Boats Reply to this Post

But . . . we DON'T want new players forming crews earlier on.
[Sep 7, 2003 1:16:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
lozza2003

I didn't quite mean dastardly pirates invading frigates with only six men...answer this:

What are fishing used for?
[Sep 7, 2003 1:17:51 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Hanzii

Catching fish. Your point being?
There's no use for fish in the game.

There are many reasons why unexperienced players buying a ship and forming their own crew early on isn't good for the overall game, I can't be bothered to repeat them all. But one of them is that unexperienced captains create jobbing experiences for jobbers and crewmates that are neithe fun nor profitable... now add to that a small underpowered vessel, that will ocassionaly stop working, leaving the bored crew marooned at sea for five minutes at a time.

Not a good idea.
----------------------------------------
Hanzii - shipbuilder (retired), Turtle
[Sep 7, 2003 1:44:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.lauring.net [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

IF there were fishing ships, I'd leave them small and make them both unattackable and unable to attack. No rum would be needed or shot, but the ship would hold far far less. It'd essentially be a free-ranged navy equivalent, allowing people to develop skill but unable to really do any wrong. Fishing, as a puzzle, would allow for a meager living so that it isn't just a newbie money pit.

Other than that, all it would do is inflate the number of random attacks.
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Sep 7, 2003 12:22:41 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

The last thing I need is to lose all my jobbers to 3k fishing boats... :) Heck I pay equal share for everyone and 20% crew cut how much better can you get?
[Sep 7, 2003 12:55:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Cedric

About 20% better, I'd say. :)

Seriously, thats a good cut.

As for the topic of hand, the game needs to move in the OTHER direction, making it (just a bit) harder for people to set sail on their own. Ships shouldn't be a junk purchase, and forming a crew is more than just something to do, its a responsibility.
Captain of the Yellow Jackets (Midnight)
Not to be taken internally (or seriously)
May cause rash
[Sep 7, 2003 1:15:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Maverick1701 [Link]  Go to top 
CustardBoy

If we're getting any new ships in the seas, they should be bigger than a large sloop. I wouldn't mind seeing something between a Large Sloop and War brig (not counting merchant brig), like maybe something that holds 20-22 people.
The Manipulator
[Sep 7, 2003 6:13:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

I proposed this about two weeks ago.

burrito wrote: 
This fishing idea is really great. However, what about casting nets to catch fish in a greater quantity? Maybe there could be a certain boat type (much like a merchant ship) that could cast out nets and catch lots of fish to sell at the market.

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/viewthread?thread=1784
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 7, 2003 10:55:55 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
raykremer

Fish? These pirates seem to live on Rum alone. Kraken hunters, now there's something relevant.
[Sep 8, 2003 12:49:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Sagittary

raykremer wrote: 
Fish? These pirates seem to live on Rum alone. Kraken hunters, now there's something relevant.

Yeah, but then you'll start to butt heads with the Church of the Holy Kraken. ;)
Darkwaters, Captain of the Sagely Swashbucklers, Owner of the Mean Stickleback & the Ignorant Grunion
[Sep 8, 2003 10:17:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
mlk

raykremer wrote: 

What about the poor T-Total pirates, they need an alternative food stuff.
Quartermaster Bates of Mog's Marauders
♪♫♪♫
[Sep 8, 2003 10:27:50 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://pp.wetnet.tk    somegithasallmynormalusernames [Link]  Go to top 
Gotagota

Sagittary wrote: 
raykremer wrote: 

Yeah, but then you'll start to butt heads with the Church of the Holy Kraken. ;)

You called?
Fronsac, human.
Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to
add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
-Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

[Sep 8, 2003 12:33:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates