• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Thread Type: Announcement Thread
Total posts in this thread: 17
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 43127 times and has 16 replies Next Thread
Artemis
OceanMaster

Event Calendar & Info Reply to this Post

Events Calendar has been moved to the Wiki

A list of all the familiars ever won can also be found in the wiki: Midnight, Cobalt, Viridian

Times are currently in PST (San Francisco)
- San Francisco follows PDT during Daylight Savings starting in March/April and PST starting in September/October.
- Click here for the current time in San Francisco.
- Click here to convert from your time zone to that of San Francisco.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 3 times, last edit by Artemis at Dec 6, 2005 5:39:32 AM]
[Aug 16, 2005 5:22:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Re: Event Calendar & Info Reply to this Post

Event Hosting Guidelines:
- You must be at least an officer to run an event
- OMs may add prizes from time to time, but you must supply most of them.
- Events should be open to anyone. You're welcome to hold a crew or flag contest, but this isn't the right place to post that.
- Oceanmasters can announce events in advance if they are large enough or warrant a broadcast. Broadcasts should be requested by email as OM support for an event (see Events How-To ). Even with approval, all broadcasts are at the sole discretion of the OM onduty at that time.
- No events will be supported in any way if you profit from them.
- Tournaments should no longer be preplanned and posted unless they have especially large prizes.
- You are responsible for getting your event organized and running, Oceanmasters will not be helping out with events unless you organize it with them in advance.
- The following are not events: Pillaging, Black Ship Attempts
- The Event Calendar can be found on the Wiki, feel free to post your event there. Please follow the format and be aware your event may be removed if there is a reason to do so.

Wedding Guidelines:
- The Lovestruck Leviathan will no longer be offered to players who request it.
- Bands and gem rings are available from the Palace Shoppe - these can be inscribed.
- Weddings are not considered events on their own and will only be broadcast if they are combined with another broadcast-worthy event.
- Weddings are not officially supported in any way.

Event Posting Guidelines:
- Be sure to include all relevant information about your event in your post: Rules, date, time, where (island/ocean/house), for whom, prizes, fees and any additional information.
- Please include the event title as well as the date and time of the event in your post subject.
- Annoying posts, offtopic posts, threads, etc will be removed without warning.

Noticeboard listing for events
You do not need to email the events email address to get a noticeboard listing - it is a process independent from OM support. An OM picks events up from the various events forums, and selects those that look appropriate for a noticeboard listing. Some of the criteria are:
* good prizes
* open to a large number of people
* sufficient notice
* looks well-planned, and good quality post
* no entry fee, not for profit
The list is usually updated a couple of times a week.

Event broadcast
If you want a broadcast, that counts as OM support for the event, which needs to be requested in advance. This can be done by following the guidelines and template given in the Events How-To event. The criteria for a broadcast are similar to those given above for noticeboard listing, and in addition it must be an appropriate event to broadcast.

If you get approval for a broadcast, you should prepare a short informative message that includes the url for your event post, a contact name, and an event title. The message should be no longer than what would fit in a normal /speak or /tell message. About one hour before you need the broadcast, you can send in a petition with the prepared broadcast message, and include the time that you wish the broadcast to take place. OMs on duty will only carry out broadcasts for events that have agreed them in advance. As stated elsewhere, broadcasts remain at the discretion of the OM on duty. They will always try their best to help you with broadcasts, but if they are unable to do so, please respect their decision.

OceanMaster involvement
- Events should not actively involve OceanMasters or Developers without their explicit consent. You're welcome to use our names - e.g. as the subjects of a (tasteful) creative event. However, they should not be involved actively (e.g. as part of a scavenger hunt).
- While it occasionally happens, it is unlikely that OceanMasters or Developers will be able to help run player events, whether it is as rules enforcers, participants or judges. Any involvement required in an event should be agreed in advance, by asking for the support by email using the template in the Events Howto thread. Alternatively, you can contact the Ringers directly by PM first, and once you have the PM responses, send in a request event support by email if you need it. This process should be completed before the event is posted.

Lotteries, Raffles, Auctions and Entrance Fees:
- Lotteries, Raffles, Auctions and events with entrance fees will be allowed. However, anyone entering them will be doing so at your own risk. We will still investigate any claims of wrongdoing or cheating but no poe or lost items will be returned even if we do find the party hosting the event at fault. In other words, don't enter if you don't trust the person or people hosting it. People who wish to hold a lottery, raffle or auction should have the following disclaimer written on their event:
"Please note that this event, as with any lottery, raffle or auction, is run at the risk of the participants. If there is shown to be cheating or wrongdoing, the culprit will be punished, but no poe will be returned to participants affected. Please only enter if you trust the person or people hosting the event."

Disclaimer:
- These are general guidelines geared to help organize events and make things easier for everyone involved, the guidelines may be changed at any time. Our goal is to have fun!

Edit: Changed and added Lottery section
Edit: Added Entrance Fees to Lottery, Raffles and Auctions section
Edit: Added link to Events HowTo
[Edit 8 times, last edit by Clotho at Jan 25, 2013 9:06:07 PM]
[Dec 6, 2005 6:45:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
canny206

but why do you have to be an officer to run an event?
[Feb 19, 2006 5:21:49 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Because an officer can give wisks by /job.

It allows people to get to your event from anywhere in the ocean.
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Feb 25, 2006 9:03:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
tyler21796

Because an officer can give wisks by /job.

It allows people to get to your event from anywhere in the ocean.

yep makes it Quick and easy
**--(Sworder) CI addicted Wench of Hunter--**

Croft wrote: 
IF YOU DON,T LIKE IT DON,T READ IT!!!

[Mar 21, 2006 9:40:20 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    monkeyman21796 [Link]  Go to top 
ponytailguy

Actually, I think it has more to do with avoiding those without financial and practical means to carry off events than whisking.

The OMs can help you whisk people using the notice board. But they won't let you borrow crew ships or go on blood runs to finance the event. Generally, wealth and social connections are tied directly to your standing within a crew, and Officer, at bare minimum, generally has the stability, respect, friends and resources to pull off a decent event.
The Ghost of Oceans Past
[Edit 1 times, last edit by ponytailguy at Mar 21, 2006 12:03:06 PM]
[Mar 21, 2006 12:02:42 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kittenhugger

Actually, I think it has more to do with avoiding those without financial and practical means to carry off events than whisking.

I agree, just as you said, the OMs dont provide anything other than the location and whisks. ( A few other things - but no need going much more in-deph.)
Remember that one time when there were no worries? Yah? Well that feelings gone. *Man there goes my hand* *Woh here comes a hook* The feeling returns

Secret of Cobalt
<3 <#
[Edit 1 times, last edit by kittenhugger at Apr 1, 2006 2:03:37 PM]
[Apr 1, 2006 2:02:52 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
lorkiria

Pardon the "cross-posting" from Tips & Tricks, but it's event calendar related.

http://yppedia.puzzlepirates.com/YPP_calendar

I've made various calendars for YPP using Google Calendar. See the wiki link for more information. The general one will cover non-ocean specific events & free-play days. The ocean specific ones will cover....the ocean events. As of this moment, all I have managed to port in are the free-play days, tan familiar tournament schedules and the current string of island openings from the 24 hour blockade event.

PM me if you're interested in being an event adder person. It requires registering for Google Calendar (or just signing up to use it if you already have a Gmail account) and letting me know the email address for your login. I don't believe the other editing access folks will be able to view who has editing access/your email address.

- Guppy

"There is no salvation in becoming adapted to a world which is crazy." - Henry Miller
[Oct 2, 2006 7:20:20 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

I've edited the second post to include a note on OM involvement with events.
[Jan 10, 2008 3:46:00 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
sweetnessc

Now announcing, Valentine's Day event, Apollo's Love Shack! Full event details available upon proof of age of majority.

No, Shur, you've already had him, time to share.
My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world. ~ Jack Layton

Sublime is shame.
[Jan 10, 2008 4:12:37 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Now announcing, Valentine's Day event, Apollo's Love Shack! Full event details available upon proof of age of majority.

No, Shur, you've already had him, time to share.

Well, obviously, exceptional events, exceptional circumstances... ;)
[Jan 10, 2008 4:28:17 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
Shuranthae

You can never have enough Apollo.

And by you, I really mean me. *locks the door shut*
[Jan 11, 2008 8:47:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Should the standard disclaimer be expanded to explicitly include all events with an entrance fee?

Edit: I was search-linked to this thread, and thought it was in the EW. Apologies if this sticky is the incorrect place to put it.
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Edit 1 times, last edit by seb_long_uk at Apr 8, 2008 5:45:21 AM]
[Apr 8, 2008 5:40:06 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
Artemis
OceanMaster

Should the standard disclaimer be expanded to explicitly include all events with an entrance fee?

Edit: I was search-linked to this thread, and thought it was in the EW. Apologies if this sticky is the incorrect place to put it.

Good idea.
[Apr 10, 2008 3:53:09 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
seb_long_uk

Many thanks.
Domokun
Avatar by the incredible Tilinka
[Apr 10, 2008 4:34:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    My other sloop is a Gold/Gold rename [Link]  Go to top 
kusje

Should this:

The following are not events: Pillaging, Black Ship Attempts

Apply to atlantis and flot runs as well?
Kneiss wrote: 
I have read so many philosophical books, i can't count. I have beaten my chesscomputer on the highest level several times. I have been classbest in math for several times.

[Apr 26, 2008 12:26:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Apollo
OceanMaster

Normal sea monster hunting and flotilla attacks wouldn't count as events, no.
[Apr 26, 2008 1:40:23 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://blog.puzzlepirates.com/apollo/ [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates