• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 11
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 858 times and has 10 replies Next Thread
Jer

Puzzle Observation? Reply to this Post

Original thread

So instead of just merely applying to swordfighting, as I've heard many times in the past, this would apply to puzzling of any kind.

Users could select something in their Options if they wanted to be left alone.
----------------------------------------
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Sep 6, 2003 1:25:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Re: Puzzle Observation? Reply to this Post

Jer I still can't see these links. :(
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 6, 2003 1:33:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Jer

Lizzie wrote: 
Jer I still can't see these links. :(

Zis is teh impossible! Try it in different browsers if you can, and clear your cache ^_^

PM me with what you're seeing if you keep having problems... it's really important to me.
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Sep 6, 2003 1:35:13 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
54x

Here's a quote for those with bugged browsers:

People have suggested being able to watch and observe swordfights. What if we took it a step further and made ALL puzzles observable?

This way, it'd not only be MUCH MUCH easier to teach new people how to puzzle, it'd also open up a new facet on competitions and suchlike (time trial puzzling, bilge the best you can in two minutes, fastest time to carp the first four holes, etc).

I believe this is one of the often suggested features.

Perhaps we should be able to save them and view them again at any time, with an external tool? (note: the saving would happen automatically) *shrug*

It doesn't sound like a high priority idea to me, but definately a good one.
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 6, 2003 2:39:30 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

Why are we trying to move the perfectly fine puzzlepirates forums to pp-net.net?
[Sep 7, 2003 2:28:15 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

It really depends on how it was implemented. If say you had this as the file:

1 - bl/br -greed/red - 0,1 - 0,2 - 700

for pece 1, green block, red breaker, and the far left on the bottom and the space next to it, and it took .7 seconds to file. The file would be quite small and easy to create something to take those and play it back, but if you wanted a display that re-created the motion and turning, it would be quite a bit large, with lots of different timing problems, and you might have to do it in a much more difficult manner. I like the idea overall, but unless simply done, the file sizes might be prohibited for long term recording.
[Sep 7, 2003 3:06:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

Vang wrote: 
It really depends on how it was implemented. If say you had this as the file:

1 - bl/br -greed/red - 0,1 - 0,2 - 700

for pece 1, green block, red breaker, and the far left on the bottom and the space next to it, and it took .7 seconds to file. The file would be quite small and easy to create something to take those and play it back, but if you wanted a display that re-created the motion and turning, it would be quite a bit large, with lots of different timing problems, and you might have to do it in a much more difficult manner. I like the idea overall, but unless simply done, the file sizes might be prohibited for long term recording.

Well, if that's how it was set up, then yes, file size would be prohibiting. Fortunately, what you suggested can be represented with only 6 characters. 4 if you dropped the unneccessary numbering, and 3 if you ditched the piece thing and simply put an 8-byte seed value at the start to determine every drop. So, the size for a game would be about 1 kilobyte for every 341 moves. So, I believe it suffices to say that that would be a reasonable use of space.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Sep 7, 2003 4:03:28 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

No, what I meant is if you went with it in that method, the size would not be prohibitive.

condensed, that would be

r/b - g/r - 0,1,0,2 - .7

If you want to reduce it even further, you could go with 0,1|0,2 and just use the seed value system which I assume they use to know what peices are used. I was comparing it to something like first person shooter recordings, which "record" a subset of the net traffic, and averages out to about 1meg/6 minutes or so (that's a statistic from Tribes 2).

0,1|0,2 would be 7 bytes a move (which would vary based on the number, of course, higher in every other case), putting it to about 146 moves per kibibyte plus the size of the seed.

EDIT: I didn't condense it as to make it more readily apparent what I was talking about.
[Edit 1 times, last edit by Anonymous at Sep 7, 2003 4:51:22 AM]
[Sep 7, 2003 4:51:22 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
Jer

iamnafets wrote: 
Why are we trying to move the perfectly fine puzzlepirates forums to pp-net.net?

... did someone say we were?
[size=9]I'm Jericho.
[Sep 7, 2003 6:53:31 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.pp-nest.net/ [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

iamnafets wrote: 

As far as I can tell, Jericho is trying to keep both alive with discussion.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 7, 2003 9:09:03 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Garthor

Vang wrote: 
No, what I meant is if you went with it in that method, the size would not be prohibitive.

condensed, that would be

r/b - g/r - 0,1,0,2 - .7

If you want to reduce it even further, you could go with 0,1|0,2 and just use the seed value system which I assume they use to know what peices are used. I was comparing it to something like first person shooter recordings, which "record" a subset of the net traffic, and averages out to about 1meg/6 minutes or so (that's a statistic from Tribes 2).

0,1|0,2 would be 7 bytes a move (which would vary based on the number, of course, higher in every other case), putting it to about 146 moves per kibibyte plus the size of the seed.

EDIT: I didn't condense it as to make it more readily apparent what I was talking about.

Actually, I was just pointing out that you could store the data in 3 bytes. If the only values you had to keep track of were X1, X2, Y1, Y2, and a time, then you would need 3 bits (0-7) + 3 bits + 4 bits (0 - 15) + 4 bits + 10 bits (0 - 1023) == 24 bits == 3 bytes. That would be sufficient to keep track of the drops. You would, however, end up with textfiles that were the opposite of human-readable.
Cleaver wrote: 
I've never been logged on, let alone on a ship.

[Sep 7, 2003 2:35:43 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates