• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Locked
Total posts in this thread: 18
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 2359 times and has 17 replies Next Thread
Ditdogs

LAGING ISSUES

Okie i have talked with nemo about this problem, and he has told me to come to the boards and post.

The problem i am haveing is that when i get into puzzles while on a ship (carp, billage, sailing, nav, or when im on the nest) the puzzle 'jerks' every so offten. What i mean by 'jerk' is that it freezes up for about 2-3 secounds then gets going again. I cant see that the problem is due to my end. I am runing a p4 2.4ghz, with 768 mb of ram, on DSL, im useing Windows XP home eddition as my OS. This should be more then enough to run this game smoothly.

Is anyone else haveing this problem? I want to know if i am getting this problem because the game is run on java? Or if everyone else is haveing this problem (some of my crew do and some of them dont). Is there some settings i dont know about that will cause this 'jerking' to stop? If so please let me know, let me know anything that i can do to fix this very annoying problem.

btw, im not running anything in the background when i am playing this game. That means im not running and downloading programs or winamp, or anything like that. When i play this game the only thing on is this game, and my ISP.

Please help if you can, please dont respond if you have no idea what your talking about. Thanx :)

Ditdogs Officer of "Pirates of the Damned" Flag member of "Crimson Tide"
----------------------------------------
- Greeter Ditdogs
- First Mate & Senior Officer of Pirates of
the Damned, Lord of the mighty flag Crimson Tide
[Sep 5, 2003 9:27:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Tukulis

Re: LAGING ISSUES

I had this problem once, and for me just a clean restart of the entire computer did the trick to solve it. If you haven't restarted, in a bit, give it a shot.

-- Frans
[Sep 5, 2003 9:50:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lizzie

Yeah, it happens to me occasionally, particularly during sword fighting. It doesnt worry me too much.
Ravine
Black Death, Midnight

[Sep 5, 2003 10:05:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Did you try turning off mouse shadows (it's in the Known Issues how to do that).

Otherwise the hw specs doesn't seem to have much to do with perfomance problems as long as you are over some very low minimum specs.

I recently wiped all of the Puzzlepirates game since the .yohoho folder had swelled up to 17.000 files and 480mb. I uninstalled all java and deleted the .yohoho folder and reinstalled with the windows installer from this site. (this is possibly because I've had 3 different java versions installed over nearly a year). That helped quite a bit.
A defrag also gave some extra load speed.

If you have an antivirus checking all files that will probably give alot of load since YPP consists of alot of files.

I've heard other players with AOL and other IM's and Winamp and so forth have problems too.

That's what I can think of right now.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Sep 5, 2003 10:18:30 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ditdogs

Hmm, takeing the shadows off the mouse sounds like an idea i wil try, i remember when i first dled this game and i read over the 'faqs' i read something about that. okie let me try that and see what happens.
- Greeter Ditdogs
- First Mate & Senior Officer of Pirates of
the Damned, Lord of the mighty flag Crimson Tide
[Sep 5, 2003 11:54:53 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
gahris

well, I have the exact same problem, But im running an ADM 500, winXPpro, 256mb ram, but mine is due to having a high ping, and a low spec computer
Worship your evil moogle master you insolent fools! ¬_¬
[Sep 6, 2003 4:46:18 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

I see this all the time, with my AMD althlon 1700+, half-gig of ram, and a DSL connection that consistently gets 1.2 Mbps. Win98se, fully patched, and a 120gig mirrored RAID(1) 2-drive array at DMA100. (heh)

And I don't have mouse shadows turned on.

But I also am reading about internet slowdowns caused by the latest worms. Is is possible that my ISP (Earthlink) is using some kind of software filtering that could be interrupting throughput?

On second thought, that shouldn't affect puzzle performance because the puzzle is running on the local virtual machine. I haven't tried re-installing or anything like that, because it isn't so bad that it affects my puzzling ability.

But it is annoying sometimes, like in conversation it has 'hung' for long enough that four people say something in the meantime (and I have to go scroll to see what the first one said).

Is it possible that there's a garbage collection happening at a bad time, or some tricky java nuicance that isn't related specifically to system hardware or performance?

Has anyone experience this, that is running on Mac or Linux?

-Lep
[size=8]Ruby: our tarts are sweeter
[Sep 8, 2003 8:22:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

Oh yeah and I carefully embed a spelling error in many of my posts, just to be a nuisance.

-Lep
[Sep 8, 2003 8:25:32 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
muffy

Aye, I've had a dreadful amount of lag lately. Yesterday it was just unplayable - I couldn't get to the wheel for two rounds of sea battle, my sailors couldn't sail until we'd been boarded, etc. Speech wouldn't show up for minutes at a time. Even the server reboot didn't help much.
[Sep 8, 2003 8:26:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Rengor

Leperflesh some of your problem is most likely in Win98SE.

I've used several machines here with various operating systems and Win98SE is always sluggish and really painfull to play when you're used to something better.
I would recommend a better OS, but then I realize that's not always an option ;) Win2k has worked great for me so far even on lower spec machines.
-= SilverBeard of The Mad Mutineers =-
--=== www.madmutineers.com ===--
[Sep 8, 2003 8:48:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Leperflesh

Rengor, in other software I've found that to be the opposite case... win98se takes fewer resources to run, and runs faster, than later operating systems... and keeping in mind that SE is approximately the same vintage as Win2k. I'm still running SE on my box for maximum game-compatibility (you can't run 16-bit DOS games on XP, and theres a lot of games incompatible with Win2k).

however I can easily test this, now that I think about it, by trying Y!PP out on my win2k machine at home. (it's behind the firewall on my home network).

If i get the same issues I'll know it is something to do with the client, or network lag, or the internet, or three ring's servers.

Thanks tho

-Lep
[Sep 8, 2003 9:19:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Aur

Yes, it's getting worse and we're only up to about 600 people at the peak times. Didn't the devs say they expected about 1000 people on a typical server at some point. I am just wondering what the plan is going to be and whether the new hardware for midnight will fix the issues.
~Aur
Original Riot Starter

"So now you know, and knowing is half the battle. The other half is HWFO." -Hermes
[Sep 8, 2003 9:32:54 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Male Guest

I am having trouble with the (for lack of other term) fps dropping significantly. The swordfighting is wretched. On my laptop of half the speed and crappy integrated graphics it runs fine vs my 9800 on this one. The ATI release used to do the trick but they got rid of it...why?

Disreguard...I guess the ATI link works again...or maybe it didn't ever not work...I'm retarded.
[Sep 8, 2003 11:56:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post   [Link]  Go to top 
stevoid

My lag was fixed by the reboot yesterday - but mostly the internet in general sorting itself out a little (the reboot helped a little but I was still lagging after it) - I had baseball streaming and that stopped working at the same time as the worst lag kicked in. Today everything is running fine - Win 98SE, 352 mb RAM, no lag at all.
[Sep 8, 2003 1:05:33 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Meghaford

We were having a problem with our connection, which caused me to d/c every min or so (usually during a swordfight) It actually turned out to be the Cable Modem acting up.

One thing you could try is updating your Video driver, if there is a more up to date one out there, it should help at least some. I think Duncan needed to do that.
--Ursela, Captain of the Dastards
... and a few others ...
[Sep 9, 2003 4:31:42 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.rjmlb.com [Link]  Go to top 
BondPinky

i dont think its the pc ad home that makes this problem ad all...

i have xp running with the last version first a pentium and now dual core they have all 2 the same problem. Normaly for me always if i join a ship with a lots off people (smh, kade - big ships).

I did remove the maps from pp already over the 100-time i believe.. also the java's.. all other pc-running programma's off etc.

I dont DC i just get a frozen screen.. i dont like it because you did work to get a puzzle state up and then its going down because a combo .. frozenscreen, new enter in a smh game and going out etc.

I know a lots off people that have the same problem and it is a little bit to get Brrrrzzzzaz brain mad.

My computer now is:
64 x 2 dual core processor 4800+, 2.51 GHz, 2,00 GB
I love the puzzles .. i dont like the frozen screens.. it sucks for 100% sorry i cant tell it on a other way :-)
[Sep 26, 2008 11:39:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Instantflash

This problem was solved over 5 years ago... please check the dates before posting mate.
Instantflash on the Viridian
The Wrath of Armageddon
[Sep 26, 2008 12:12:29 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
BondPinky

This problem was solved over 5 years ago... please check the dates before posting mate.

ohw sorry it is indeed a long time ago last post... that is correct

BUT THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE HIHI

Sorry that i still live ... i did surch on lag not on last week
I love the puzzles .. i dont like the frozen screens.. it sucks for 100% sorry i cant tell it on a other way :-)
[Edit 1 times, last edit by BondPinky at Sep 26, 2008 12:43:51 PM]
[Sep 26, 2008 12:42:45 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates