• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 74
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 9526 times and has 73 replies Next Thread
Lelantos
OceanMaster

[Cob/Vir] August familiar tournaments & auctions! Reply to this Post

What: Automated sword fighting tournament
Where: Viridian
Date: Wednesday, August 17
Time: 9 PM PST
For whom: Everyone!
By whom: Plutus
Fee: Nothing!
Prize: Brown monkey familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Best of 3, bring your own sword, cascading arithmetically

What: Automated drinking tournament
Where: Cobalt
Date: Wednesday, August 17
Time: 9 PM PST
Prize: Grey/blue parrot familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Standard rules, 1 game per match, bring your own mug, play to 2000, 5 colors/shapes, cascading arithmetically

What: Cobalt familiar auction
Where: Aboard a Plutocracy ship (TBA)
Date: Thursday, August 25
Time: 12 PM PST
Fee: See details on familiars auctions (below) for more info
Prize: Choice of familiar (type/color)

What: Automated sword fighting tournament
Where: Cobalt
Date: Sunday, August 28
Time: 6 AM PST
Prize: Red monkey familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Best of 3, bring your own sword, cascading exponentially

What: Automated drinking tournament
Where: Viridian
Date: Sunday, August 28
Time: 6 AM PST
Prize: Green/grey parrot familiar, at least 200K POE
Format: Standard rules, 1 game per match, bring your own mug, play to 2000, 5 colors/shapes, cascading exponentially

What: Viridian familiar auction
Where: Tigerleaf Mountain (a free whisk will be provided through your local notice board)
Date: Wednesday, August 31
Time: 6 PM PST
Fee: See details on familiar auctions (below) for more info
Prize: Choice of familiar (type/color)

Details on familiar auctions:
The Viridian auction will be held on Tigerleaf Mountain rather than a Plutocracy ship. Around 30 minutes before the auction is scheduled to begin, we will put a description of the auction with a free whisk to Tigerleaf on the notice boards. We will also broadcast the event ahead of time, to allow people the chance to get there, either to watch or to bid.

Bidding will be done using /shout. Anyone who is continually making false bids or disrupting the auction will be promptly shunned. To give us time to verify how much POE each bidder has, we might need to take a few breaks. It would help the event run much more smoothly if you let Plutus or Artemis know before the auction starts that you plan on bidding.

Bidding will start at 300K POE this time, and bid increments will go up by 50K at first. This will probably be raised later in the auction, depending on how things go. Again, the first bid seen by Plutus at a value will be the one recognized for that value. I'd like to ask everyone involved with the bidding to wait for Plutus to recognize a bid and ask for the next one before continuing. As the auction goes on, there might be a few breaks to allow us to get reorganized and to allow the bidders to raise some more funds quickly.

The eventual highest bidder of the auction will need to give Plutus the amount of the winning bid at the end of the event to qualify as the owner of the new familiar. To allow for unexpectedly high bidding results, that person will have 10 minutes to pay Plutus the full amount, otherwise priority will pass to the next highest bidder. In the end, the winner can specify the type and color of familiar desired, and we will try to get that to him or her as fast as we can.

All of the available familiar colors can be seen here, thanks to Piplicus.

You can use this thread to post questions, comments, suggestions, concerns, and the like. Hopefully the format of the auction is clear enough, but since this is the first month we've done such a thing, I want to hear your opinions on it. Try to avoid extraneous discussions, please.
----------------------------------------
[Edit 2 times, last edit by Lelantos at Aug 31, 2005 1:14:05 PM]
[Aug 7, 2005 10:30:14 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

Re: [Cob/Vir] August familiar tournaments & auctions! Reply to this Post

ok, 9 PM PST = 5 am UK, and in Scotland at least, college and probably school too restarts on the 15th. Ouch.

So, here's my deal. Someone else wins the familiar, then meets me later, and says 'shockedfrog, since you're an insanely lucky swordfighter sometimes, and would surely have beaten me in the tournament earlier had you been able to participate, I grant you this familiar, and would also like to join your crew.'
[Aug 7, 2005 10:57:56 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
barrelmonkey

Ack, my school will have already started by then as well. And the tournament starts at midnight here. So I suppose that'll mean another sleepless night. If the drinking tournament runs at least 6 hours, I don't think I'll be able to go because of school. And then I'll have to "be sick" so I can do the next tournament instead of going to church. Fortunately most people will be at the swordfighting tournies instead of the Drinking ones, which should give me an edge. Besides, I've got mad crazy drinking skills. And since I'm a sell-out, if I win, that baby is getting sold.
[Aug 7, 2005 11:05:38 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
kwitch

Could you possibly list the familiar colours and types that will be available for auction, or do I have to go searching for them? >_<

Oh, and also... how many rounds of bidding will there be? How many familiars do you plan to release?
[Aug 7, 2005 11:17:16 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

Please can we have spectators on the auction ships?

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Aug 7, 2005 11:17:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
Crotty

I assume auctioned familiars are poe sinks?
[Aug 7, 2005 1:54:01 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
ceryl

shockedfrog wrote: 
ok, 9 PM PST = 5 am UK, and in Scotland at least, college and probably school too restarts on the 15th. Ouch.

Well the Bake-off on Viridian happened at a time when most Americans who work wouldn't be able to attend, but alot of Europeans should be able to make, albeit with leaving work a little early.

I think its good to have varied times to give a wider number to have a chance to participate in at least some. And those that can make all - well hardcore players maybe should have a greater opportunity.
[Aug 7, 2005 7:22:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
shockedfrog

Well, that'd be great if all europeans loved duty puzzles and hated swordfighting, and all americans loved swordfighting and hated duty puzzles.
[Aug 8, 2005 10:12:32 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Allura

No matter what, someone's not going to be able to make some time. At least by scattering it a bit, you spread out the chances. The one I'm most interested in, drinking, is 9amEST on a Sunday morning for me. I operate on a "night shift" though, due to my husband's schedule, and Sunday's are his day off - we're rarely up before 11am. Either I get up, and have a chance, or I roll back over and say "just a game". :)
Allura, Ambassador & Senior Officer of Port Authority
Sailing the Viridian Ocean
[Aug 9, 2005 9:54:26 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://JoannaHurley.livejournal.com    AlluraUni    AlluraUni [Link]  Go to top 
Lelantos
OceanMaster

I'm currently coming up with a better format for the auction which could allow for spectators. It will also address more clearly the issue of increases in bids, etc. Each auction will give out one familiar only, to the highest bidder. When I post the new format, I'll also note the familiar colors available.
[Aug 10, 2005 5:04:13 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

Re: Reply to this Post

I know it has been said, and it's probably too late for that, but i think the idea of an auction in viridian is not fair. Someone can buy a great deal of doublons with a credit card and exchange them in poe in order to win, someting that can't be done on the other server. I know Ringers probably love that idea though but still, just seem a little bit unfair to me.
[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[Aug 10, 2005 11:50:24 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Demonyaj

Re: Re: Reply to this Post

An auction on Viridian will be fair- trust me, based on offers for Teardrop, if someone wants to drop in the realm of 2000 US dollars to get a familiar, I wouldn't stop that if I were a Three Rings owner. I'd venture to guess that the auctioned familiar on Viridian will go for about 8 and a half million poe unless the key people involved decide sanity trumps a familiar.
Denying the inevitable for as long as possible is a waste of life's work.
[Aug 11, 2005 4:01:40 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
RhiannonS

if people are ready to pay 2000$ us for a familiar, that's not fair, that's pure crazyness... but as you say, Three ringers won't want to stop them i think lol
[Disclaimer]English is not my first language so please excuse my mispell and grammar mistakes.[/disclaimer]

-Rhia
[Aug 12, 2005 11:39:57 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meow123_456

well done, youre going to make me ruin the rest of my holidays with these events, unless they are delayed until 10 pm
Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
Pillaging Sucks.

[Aug 14, 2005 4:53:11 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
LongJohnGrey

Well, we can take some guesses.

Selling lots of dubs to get poe, you'll drive the price of dubs down. Figure an average of 1000 even each. Poe value normally would be in the 3.5 mil, Virid is slightly inflationary (my assertion, not proven yet), so let's say 5 mil.

5000 dubs? Mmm... I don't think you could sell that many dubs and not seriously depress the market.

Largest package is 500 dubs for $100, so 5000 dubs would be $1 grand.

That's ... --- ...
Re: Market on Scurvy Reef:
Hypnos wrote: 
I didn't realize it was such a hot forage spot until I dropped it and three pirates showed up on the island in quick succession.
And it wasn't even 9 spaces from the arrow :-).
[Aug 14, 2005 5:02:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Piplicus_BNO

if people are ready to pay 2000$ us for a familiar, that's not fair,

Yes it is. =)

What Pip tried to do was something totally unprecedent. He, in some strange way, used Midnight as a test server, without him even knowing. [Crap, it sucks I was not online when he did that :'(... pfft, anyways]

Like a bad penny.
[Aug 14, 2005 11:12:47 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com    Intermission #3 - click here! [Link]  Go to top 
123firelight

Just think... Enough people willing to pay 2K to win a familiar, and we can have a free server!!! Granted this would take several auctions of people willing to pay 2 freakin grand for a monkey.
Get it?
Got it?
Good!

Dragonlight on Viridian.
[Aug 14, 2005 12:04:40 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
LethalLizord

3pm for SF tourny...
12pm for auction...

Im not skipping school for a small chance at winning a familiar... or anything to do with mere games.

and 12am for the drinking tourny... might stay up for it.

Sigh... ringers hate m don't they? :P At least make more on the weekend so more people can attend... though im guessing thats when many ringers take their days off too.
~Viridian~
SnakeEye
Captain of Devil's Playground, Pay for Play

~Sage~
SnakeEyes
Officer of Hell's Angels, Hell's Wrath

~Hunter~
SnakeEyes
Senior Officer of Black September, The Eye
[Aug 14, 2005 8:45:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meow123_456

Im not skipping school for a small chance at winning a familiar...

I would, but i dont go to school

PS: I will be at the 5 am SF tourney and how can i miss a 2 pm drinking tourney and chances of watching an 2 am auction is impossible
Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
Pillaging Sucks.

[Edit 1 times, last edit by meow123_456 at Aug 15, 2005 12:02:24 AM]
[Aug 15, 2005 12:01:01 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I reallllyyyyyyy want my red monkey for real(familiar in game) and although I am not a very good swordfighter, I will be there and no, I won't be there in an alt either. I will be there in my regular name fighting all you chickens who need to use alts to get past round 3. :p
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 15, 2005 10:24:12 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
AquaDrake

Auctions: At 100K starting, and 10K increments, it will take 90 increments to reach 1 mil, and 290 increments to reach 3 mil.

Might take a while...
Maybe "historical" dragons were pterosaurs?
http://www.livescience.com/animals/090107-pterosaur-flight.html

"No plain fanfold paper could hold that fractal Puff --
He grew so fast no plotting pack could shrink him far enough.&quot
[Aug 17, 2005 2:13:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
chewyshoe

Auctions: At 100K starting, and 10K increments, it will take 90 increments to reach 1 mil, and 290 increments to reach 3 mil.

Might take a while...

Start increments at 50k then move to 10k increments when you get less than X bidders left.
Funny exam answers | Free online contests
[Aug 17, 2005 4:20:15 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Crystallina

http://www.puzzlepirates.com/support/faqs/doubloons.html#servertrade

Can I transfer or trade between Oceans?

Absolutely not; the Oceans must be considered distinct and separate. There will be no way to transfer your Pirate between Oceans, and no approved means of trade between Oceans.

Three Rings explictly forbids players from making trades between Oceans and will enforce the updated Terms of Service in this respect.

It appears a few people seem to have missed this rule. And have admitted to doing it.
Rapmasta26, in a surprisingly accurate assessment of many posters' attitude towards things:

PLEASE PEOPLE, IF YOU DONT AGREE DONT REPLY!!!!!!!!!!!

[Edit 1 times, last edit by Crystallina at Aug 17, 2005 9:59:10 PM]
[Aug 17, 2005 9:56:57 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    YPP+Crystallina [Link]  Go to top 
Synful

I certainly don't mind alts from midnight coming over to play in familiar tourneys, but I DO mind them trading poe from midnight to cobalt to purchase mugs or swords for the events, especially when it is against the TOS to do so. This particular chap admitted to doing this because he has a familiar on midnight and wants one on all three oceans. Seriously, if ye don't play on an ocean, whats the big deal to having a familiar on a different ocean? Are ye gonna log on once a month just to flaunt the familiar?

Bring yer alts, Midnighters, but leave yer PoE where it belongs! You want something on another ocean, earn it.
The name is Synful.
------------------------
[Aug 17, 2005 10:06:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
meow123_456

514 entrants in the SF tourney...

i didnt get a bye

meow123_456,

lying
Oxbridge of Hunter

Guess Who wrote: 
Pillaging Sucks.

[Aug 17, 2005 10:11:36 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.puzzlepirates.com/community/mvnforum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=209719 [Link]  Go to top 
Lelantos
OceanMaster

Cobalt drinking tournament
Lamoran vs. Slayarr in finals
Lamoran wins a grey/blue parrot familiar!

Viridian sword fighting tournament
Silverdawg vs. Shodan in finals
Silverdawg wins a brown monkey familiar!

Congrats to both of the winners, and I hope everyone who participated had fun. See you at the upcoming events later this month!
[Aug 17, 2005 11:03:27 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Prosperity

/me drops another familiar into Silverdawg's bucket.
Obsidian: Inglorious Basterds, Guerrilla Warfare
CFO, Nonsensical Nudity Inc.
[Aug 18, 2005 2:54:21 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Lamnan

Hmm, two Midnighters who have already won familiars, interesting. How many is that for you Silver anyway?
[Aug 18, 2005 3:27:51 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
moo10

4... I think.
RETIRED

Octupa of the Midnight and Sage Ocean
Littledog of the Cobalt and Viridian Ocean
[Aug 18, 2005 3:34:06 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Octupa [Link]  Go to top 
Sayshay

what does pst mean idk what time that is in alaska (i live there) thats why i haven't entered any
my email is tay_ray_11@hotmail.com so please mail me or tell me on pp
tourni'stay_ray_11@hotmail.com
[Aug 18, 2005 6:16:28 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Posts: 74   Pages: 3   [ First Page | 1 2 3 | Next Page | Last Page]
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates