• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 7
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 620 times and has 6 replies Next Thread
svarog

Screen Caps Ingame Reply to this Post

Well my brain be a rattling off an idea right now and I figured I'd best be getting it down before that idea got lost in that big empty cavity of minei call a noggin.

I'm quite aware that you can take screenshots using your os (alt-prtscrn for windows -> paste into a graphics program of some sort). But I'd like to wonder / suggest if this might be an ingame function at some point.

To back why i suggest extra code for a feature that's already available through your os I'll use the word authentication.

There already seem to be a fair number of grudges mentioned against griefers, scammers, spammers and others and one would hope that these people might want retribution in the form of paying someone else poe to make them suffer just as much.

My question is where's the proof for the payout? Sure you can take your own screenshot but couldn't this be easily (or not so easily) photoshopped for the same ends? Or an ingame screenshot with a post to the forums would work, knowing it's ingame becasue of a watermark or some other not - so easily copyable feature.

I may be making things more complicated than they could be, especially if a bounty system is on the list (and i bow to the list). But, hell, that's why i posted... good idea? bad idea?
[Sep 4, 2003 4:36:27 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Re: Screen Caps Ingame Reply to this Post

/complain sends a log of recent activity to the admins. If you are trying to bust someone, I don't think you'd need anything more than that as proof.
[Sep 4, 2003 5:44:46 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
svarog

I don't know that i'm talking about *busting* people per se, but more on the order of having player sponsered 'hunts'.

So that say a crew beat you and you want revenge. . . you write on these forums a bounty of 50 poe to the first person who can prove it by screenshot. What's to keep those people from faking the screenshot.

I guess I started the topic up the wrong way, but player 'sponsored' (for lack of a better word) grudges and a way to keep winners of these contests honest is more what i'm interested in.
[Sep 4, 2003 5:51:00 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

In that case, I'll only say that I can't think of many bounty hunters that hunt out of the goodness of their own hearts. I don't think that the legitimacy of a target is as important to them as the price paid for capture.

Substantiated proof is probably unnecessary.
[Sep 4, 2003 6:01:02 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
svarog

Meh. Thanks for the reminder that i should post less.

You raise plenty of valid points which I hadn't really thought through when I first posted, but the idea of a fake vs. real screenshot still intrigues me. Though at present there's no real reason to not trust a screenshot (or to trust it for that matter), as i'm commenting on something that's not even occuring at the moment. (i.e. 'i'll give x poe to whoever can show the first screenshot of kicking Angry Kitty's behind' isn't happening).

Mods may delete.
[Sep 4, 2003 6:53:39 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
homullus

Actually, asking for screenshots of retribution already has been happening, as has doctoring (see Cleaver's old Screenshot Contest thread for one of Silverbeard standing amid his riches -- riches techno-snatched from the Minotaur's Cave on Cnossos).
[Sep 4, 2003 6:59:25 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    homullus [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

svarog wrote: 

My question is where's the proof for the payout? Sure you can take your own screenshot but couldn't this be easily (or not so easily) photoshopped for the same ends? Or an ingame screenshot with a post to the forums would work, knowing it's ingame becasue of a watermark or some other not - so easily copyable feature.

Heh, the watermark is easier to work around than you think.

You're not realizing why it would be a good idea to get screenshots--FOR THE SAKE OF GETTING SCREENSHOTS. It would be useful if you could just take a screenshot of something cool that happened and it automatically got saved on your hard drive so you could show it to your friends or just as a reminder of really cool things.
----------------------------------------
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 4, 2003 1:23:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates