• Play
  • About
  • News
  • Forums
  • Yppedia
  • Help
Welcome Guest   | Login
  Index  | Recent Threads  | Register  | Search  | Help  | RSS feeds  | View Unanswered Threads  
  Search  

Quick Go »
Thread Status: Normal
Total posts in this thread: 10
[Add To My Favorites] [Watch this Thread] [Post new Thread]
Author
Previous Thread This topic has been viewed 1784 times and has 9 replies Next Thread
JonIncognito

To go where no Pirate has gone before. Reply to this Post

I was wondering if at some point perhaps some free range exploration of the seas would be possible "Sailing from location to location with out need of a map". Perhaps their could be a long involved puzzle with charting your own course which booching could lead to running aground on some rocks, and scoring Excellent or Incredible would give a crew a chance to stumble on a fabled treasure island.

This could also lead to a crafting puzzle called "Cartography" which would require some expensive goods "Vellum, Writing Ink, Etc Etc." that would be consumed by each attempt to complete the puzzle, but could help generate maps hard to find maps such as ones that connect Archipelagos or lead to the aforementioned treasure islands.

I know it's likely that there are already detailed plans on the exact ways to get to the treasure islands, but i hope you'll consider some these suggestions, and view them as possible features. :)
----------------------------------------
"Super Profundo on the early eve of your day." - Waking Life
[Sep 3, 2003 5:35:34 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Ely

Re: To go where no Pirate has gone before. Reply to this Post

One problem with this is that the Ringers have constricted us into sea lanes for a reason, and to break free of those lanes would booch a lot of the game balance. The ability to leave a lane and sail your own route would make travel and trade virtually free of the risk of attack. If anyone did manage to attack you out there, you could outrun your pursuer indefinitely in that league-less environment (how would duty reports work out there?). You would also be able to circumvent established "difficult" routes, which doesn't fit in with goal behind the sea lanes.
[Sep 3, 2003 6:03:31 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    Ely114 [Link]  Go to top 
meiadm

actually they already have skills called exploration and voyaging - and I bet these have something to do with exactly what they imply ;)
Frizzan - Gone for good
[Sep 3, 2003 6:39:39 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Soma

well.. Reply to this Post

way back I hit upon a way in which you could still navigate chartless while observing the sealanes, but I imagine there's something tricky in the coding that will make it a moot point. As a refresher (for myself as much as anyone else) the idea was that you could choose a direction to sail (results of which based on navigation skill) which would then estimate your 'choice' of league points to reach. As it stands now, there are enough interlinking routes that'd make this semi-viable, and I know there would be quite an interest in making use of it to chart areas which you would formerly have to pray a briggand's map would lead you to, especially if more archipeligos are to be added. The risk would be in that larger archipeligos (pearl, for instance) it could be quite possible to get turned around and 'lost' at sea.. you'd eventually get home, but a long journey with no rum sure hurts.
Soma
Castaway of Alpha
Survivor of Old Spice & Nyx's Scions
Officer of Black Death
[Sep 3, 2003 9:13:16 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
burrito

Ely wrote: 
One problem with this is that the Ringers have constricted us into sea lanes for a reason, and to break free of those lanes would booch a lot of the game balance. The ability to leave a lane and sail your own route would make travel and trade virtually free of the risk of attack. If anyone did manage to attack you out there, you could outrun your pursuer indefinitely in that league-less environment (how would duty reports work out there?). You would also be able to circumvent established "difficult" routes, which doesn't fit in with goal behind the sea lanes.

I think Jon's implied meaning was that there would be sea lanes out in the unexplored territory and that you couldn't break free of them. Instead, you would follow the sea lanes, but according to how well you can complete the explore puzzle, it'll take different routes along the sea lanes that take you to different places.
-Peppy, Senior Officer of the Salty Mouthfuls
"Yarr, thar be stairs here."

1st Place, First Drinking Contest, Gaea 24 Hour Bash
2nd Place, Cayte's Sword Tournament, 9/29
[Sep 4, 2003 1:50:10 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    burrito+OMG [Link]  Go to top 
JonIncognito

Ah yeah.. that's the Ticket.. that's what i meant to begin with.. ummm yeah.

Another possible side effect would be that because your moving into uncharted territory which would put the crew on edge causing them to consume more rum to keep them calm, and there is always the chance of running into a Sea Monstarrr..
"Super Profundo on the early eve of your day." - Waking Life
[Sep 4, 2003 5:41:35 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
54x

I thought exploration would have to do with colonies and adventure islands?
Diamondblade, Cartographer, Crimson Tide.
from Midnight.
Dear sir or madam can you read my book, it took me years to write, will you take a look?
[Sep 6, 2003 3:06:12 PM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message    http://www.mjwhitehead.com/    raasike54    secondlight5454    32987700 [Link]  Go to top 
lozza2003

What if you got a ship crash if your navigator ain't that good? I mean, imagine being stranded on an island for up to 36 hours with your crew? That'd be funny. And then passing ships could either help or just laugh.
[Sep 7, 2003 1:16:36 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Nemo
Artist

/tell Nemo We wer exporing n got in2 the perl archapeligoe n got lost n ppl started geting angry n so we loggd off n now i dont now wher my ship is can u hlp me plz?
[Sep 7, 2003 2:11:24 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
Thanos

cant be any worse than the /tells I send you...

/tell nemo can I buy apples yet? I really like apples, I sure wish this game had apples, I would buy lots of apples

etc..
Thanos - of Midnight? Cobalt? Hunter? Malachite!
[Sep 7, 2003 2:21:34 AM] Show Printable Version of Post        Send Private Message [Link]  Go to top 
[Show Printable Version of Thread] [Post new Thread]

Puzzle Pirates™ © 2001-2016 Grey Havens, LLC All Rights Reserved.   Terms · Privacy · Affiliates